Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12711712

Subject: "Anyone here ever work for Support.com?" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Anyone here ever work for Support.com?"

I'm out of work and it's a work from home call center job. And every review I read makes it sound like every call center job I've ever had (which is shit) but it's from home and it's only until I find something good since I'm only eligible for $27 from unemployment. Has anyone here had an experience working with them?

The job listing: http://www.support.com/about/careers/locations/workfromhome

The reviews: http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Support.com/reviews

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i haven't (inbox)
Jan 28th 2015
Yup...
Jan 28th 2015
What are the hours like?
Jan 28th 2015
      Well...
Jan 28th 2015
           their managers and QA people work from home too? that'd be a cool
Jan 28th 2015
           Yup, trainers and floor managers work from home as well
Jan 28th 2015
           That's what's up. Thanks for the info
Jan 28th 2015
                Bring it up early on and they may be able to make accomodations
Jan 28th 2015

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i haven't (inbox)"
In response to Reply # 0

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yup..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ask away.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "What are the hours like?"
In response to Reply # 2

Is it day work? And how invasive is the software? I guess most importantly, is it worth it?

_

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:03 PM

4. "Well... "
In response to Reply # 3

It's a full time job; 40hrs a week.

Training is 6 weeks at 40hrs a week and it's paid, but at a slightly lower rate than when you get on the production floor (IIRC, it's $9/hr but I'll have to dig through my emails and thumb drives for the exact amount). Your amount goes up once you hit production and you can get extra based on your shift. Graveyard is the most desired shift with the highest premium available. You will be assigned a shift in week 5. You don't get to pick your shift, you're too green for alladat.

I can't stress this enough: You need an absolutely quiet place to work. Background noise can get you fired down the road and too much of it in training can get you bounced. They're a little more lenient during training but it's absolutely not tolerated on the production floor.

They will ship a Logitech USB headset to you (which you keep if you leave the company, I still have mine and use it). Your internet connection really needs to be up to snuff too but you can skate by if it's close to what they want. The main reason being is that they use a softphone for calls and your bandwidth needs to be enough to sustain calls and remote sessions if needed.

A second monitor on your machine is critical and at least one of your displays needs to be at least 1280x1024. The custom ticketing software they run (called Ninjato) was designed shitty so the screen doesn't scale down well and 1280x1024 is the lowest res you can have before you can't see everything on the screen. I copped a 17" HP monitor from the local Goodwill shop for $15 to conform.

A two monitor setup is crucial because you will need to flip between ticketing and the various tools you need to use to handle end users issues. Doing it from one screen is frustrating and will slow you down significantly (truthfully, the ideal setup would be three monitors but the job didn't pay that much so I wasn't about to indulge in that shit 'cause it would have meant me digging out my DAW from storage and getting it back in full running order).

During training, make sure you're logged into the webinar on time, every time. Some trainers are a little lax and will let that slide but if you get my trainer, Mike Clermont, he doesn't let that shit go. You might get one or two warnings early on but after that you'll be dismissed from training completely.

Also, Mike Clermont is ex military. He's a pretty good trainer if you're not that technically inclined. I, on the other hand, am far more advanced in my understanding of all things computing related and he and I bumped heads several times because of it.

During training, you absolutely have to pass every test. One failed test = kicked out of training. Shit is open notes so there's no good reason for anyone to fail.

Your machine must be fully patched and you need AV installed. You cannot use Avira antivirus because it conflicts with something they use. I use Avira and had to get rid of it for Windows Defender. This left me feeling extremely vulnerable.

They have a piece of software they use during training to monitor whether or not you're actually at your computer. It's only used if you're having technical issues early on or if you're called on during class and don't answer or if your status in the corporate chat software (called Spark) goes idle. It doesn't allow them to check a webcam or anything, just see of you're active in another screen other than class.

I worked for them while I was unemployed. I took it 'cause I needed something 'cause my unemployment was about to run out and the pay there was just over what I got in unemployment every week.

You do get benefits, a 401K, and IIRC there are some discounts available to employees.

Also, for doing well on the tests during training, I got a little SDC backpack.

>I guess most importantly, is it worth it?

Being real... I'd gladly work for SDC again instead of flippin burgers. If you look at it that way, it's a way better job than McDonalds. You work from home, which means saving on gas/public transportation costs and you also save by not eating out for lunch if you did so while working a corp job.

I've often said that there are options for unemployed outside of fast food work. This is one of them.

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:17 PM

5. "their managers and QA people work from home too? that'd be a cool"
In response to Reply # 4

part time job...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:32 PM

7. "Yup, trainers and floor managers work from home as well"
In response to Reply # 5

>part time job...

But, it's definitely not a part-time job. It's full time.

My trainer's wife also worked for SDC as a support rep. Once in a blue moon we could hear her on a call in the background.

R.I.P. Disco D

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:24 PM

6. "That's what's up. Thanks for the info"
In response to Reply # 4

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I need something. Though not being able to pick your shift might be an issue. I DJ at night.

_

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:42 PM

8. "Bring it up early on and they may be able to make accomodations"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Jan-28-15 04:43 PM by PoppaGeorge

>I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I need something. Though
>not being able to pick your shift might be an issue. I DJ at
>night.

I was assigned second shift, but I quit at the end of my training. We live in a small apartment right now and I was getting noise violations while on the floor (you're placed in production with a mentor in your last week of training). If I had signed up with them while I was still in our old house where I had an office to work from I'd prolly still be working for them for the extra loot.

R.I.P. Disco D

Lobby General Discussion topic #12711712 Previous topic | Next topic