Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12711587

Subject: "Do you love the work you do?" Previous topic | Next topic
JellyBean
Charter member
16875 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Do you love the work you do?"

not where you work or who you work with, but the actual job that YOU do--do you love it?

Poll result (15 votes)
Yes--Tell me why (8 votes)Vote
No--Tell me why (7 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I am not working to my full capacity
Jan 28th 2015
GOD YES!!!!
Jan 28th 2015
i LIKE it
Jan 28th 2015
Fuck no
Jan 28th 2015
I really enjoy my work, it's like a challenging puzzle
Jan 28th 2015
I enjoy it when I'm working
Jan 28th 2015
I'm on levels of yes and no just cuz I don't do one thing
Jan 28th 2015
I absolutely LOVE my job!!!
Jan 28th 2015
oh indeed...
Jan 28th 2015
yes, now if i can parlay what I do to crack a high 6 I'll be straight
Jan 28th 2015
RE: yes, now if i can parlay what I do to crack a high 6 I'll be straigh...
Jan 28th 2015
love...almost...like very very very much...yes
Jan 28th 2015
Love/hate. I’m sure you understand both sides, and why.
Jan 28th 2015
I LOVE the research...the teaching is just ok nm
Jan 28th 2015

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 01:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I am not working to my full capacity"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like what I do atm is a joke.

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

Very-Effortless
Member since May 07th 2011
7452 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 01:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "GOD YES!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-28-15 01:52 PM by Very-Effortless

For so many reasons:

-autonomy: no one stands over my shoulder asking what I'm doing with my time. I'm trusted to handle shit and handle it well. I fill out a weekly PMO with my project updates and I'm rarely questioned on things.

-I get to travel for work. And while this is a love/hate thing (cause sometimes it's too much) there are very few jobs that send you to Brazil for a month for the World Cup.

-I get to go to the coolest events and make sure cool shit happens there. I was doing the math the other day and throughout my career I've been to over 200 NBA games, over 25 nfl games, over 100 NHL games, over 20 mlb games, countless concerts and over 15 UFC events. Not to mentions random events that don't fit within those buckets. Being that immersed in sports is fucking awesome.

-I'm truly good and what I do. I don't have to second guess myself a lot and I can make decisions with confidence. I get to be the expert in the room a lot and people look to me for advice and knowledge.

-I work on a small team of cool people. I like all of my coworkers and after a rocky start my client and I work fantastic together.

-I get to work with international markets... And while this CAN be trying (cause right now I'm like eff Brazilians) it's such a great and fulfilling experience to work cross-culturally.

I'm sure if I sat here I could come up with tons of other reasons but that's a start

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 01:48 PM

3. "i LIKE it"
In response to Reply # 0

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 01:49 PM

4. "Fuck no"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-28-15 01:49 PM by BlassFemur

It's just OK

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I really enjoy my work, it's like a challenging puzzle"
In response to Reply # 0

and it incorporates my talents and background in a way that is kind of crazy (the job grew up around my abilities), so it's partly lawyer, partly financial analyst, partly cat herder, and when things get stressful, I can usually find some word processing type stuff to do, which clears my mind and relaxes me.

With all this said, my boss asked me this morning if I would still be doing this job if our client were my boss, and I was like oh HELL no. So I can't discount the fact that I work with a cool person and I enjoy the other people around me.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I enjoy it when I'm working"
In response to Reply # 0

with clients and getting my projects done.

however, this documentation and training shit is for the birds.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

bonitaapplebaum71481
Member since Aug 04th 2003
22576 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:41 PM

7. "I'm on levels of yes and no just cuz I don't do one thing"
In response to Reply # 0

~barista life, nah... I've been in some form of customer service from corporate to non-profit to restaurant/hospitality for almost ten years. If only I had known that baking made me so happy. The spot I work at now has potential to grow to that and I'll keep taking classes when I can afford it so I'm confident I'll be in the kitchen hopefully by next year.

~ baking: god yes, working on a plan for special edibles including shipping that I just need to figure out.

~ piercing: I love poking people and I've always had a calming demeanor. Plus everyone's flesh is different so seeing the parts of people most don't also bumps up my voyeurism factor whether it be for good or ill. And it's lucrative when it's busy

basically if baking and piercing could be my main gigs, I'd love what I do. I'm almost there and the icing on the cake would be if I had enough time for burlesque buttt I guess I could just wait a couple years when I move to Seattle

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05

BabyYoda
Member since Feb 15th 2012
3176 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:44 PM

8. "I absolutely LOVE my job!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

As for the actual job itself, it depends on what I am doing since there are many jobs available to work. At this very moment, I had to temporarily go back to doing a particular job that I no longer enjoy, but in comparison to some other jobs, it is pretty good. Regarding the job that I temporarily left, that has to be the best job that I had in my life and can't wait to get back to that job whenever my work related situation gets resolved.

I feel extremely blessed to have the opportunity to do what I am doing and hope I can retire within the industry when the time comes years from now.

I feel for those who hate their jobs. I was there back in the day. Now, it is time to enjoy the fruits that my job bears and continue to grow within the industry. 😄

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:52 PM

9. "oh indeed..."
In response to Reply # 0

i'm a manager which is what i do. it's what i've always done.

but now i work for a non-profit and i feel like my daily functions directly help people in need. every day i do some save the world typa shit...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:03 PM

10. "yes, now if i can parlay what I do to crack a high 6 I'll be straight"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:03 PM

11. "RE: yes, now if i can parlay what I do to crack a high 6 I'll be straigh..."
In response to Reply # 10

next couple of years.....

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:18 PM

12. "love...almost...like very very very much...yes"
In response to Reply # 0

I get paid to figure shit out for the govt

I hate meetings which is why I don't love it

=======================================
Coolin...

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Love/hate. I’m sure you understand both sides, and why."
In response to Reply # 0

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:21 PM

14. "I LOVE the research...the teaching is just ok nm"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12711587 Previous topic | Next topic