Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12704041

Subject: "Minorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Minorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*"
Wed Jan-21-15 11:01 AM by Mongo

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/01/minorities-and-the-slumburbs/384680/

The history goes something like this: White families left inner cities in droves during the white-flight era of the 1950s and 60s. Now they are returning to—have returned to—the metro centers that their grandparents once called home. Families of color called these inner cities home during decades of depopulation. Now they, in turn, are leaving for—have already left for—the suburbs. Drawn by the promise of safer schools, larger homes, and better lives, or alternatively, pushed out by rising property taxes, it doesn't matter: What minorities found in the suburbs was the subprime mortgage crisis, followed by the collapse of the global economy.

That's the theory behind "slumburbia," the notion that the dark conditions that once characterized the Inner City are following minorities as they pursue the American Dream to the suburbs. Gawker's Hamilton Nolan used the label to explain rising suburban poverty. The New York Times's Timothy Egan applied the term to the Inland Empire.

There's a flaw to this theory of a growing "slumburban" America, and to the notion that the suburbs are contributing to ever-downward social and economic mobility for minorities relative to whites. A new study finds that, in fact, minority households are faring better in some suburbs, specifically those suburbs that have "matured" after the 1968 Fair Housing Act. Most of the gains in these places—what the study describes as "post-civil rights suburbs"—are accruing to low-income and African-American households.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This will be the new normal. See the Paris suburbs
Jan 21st 2015
older I get, the more I'm thinking like this
Jan 21st 2015
I GET the farm/rural thing
Jan 21st 2015
the best years of my life
Jan 21st 2015
This I get. What I don't get is being an hour away from the city and
Jan 21st 2015
      I was 90 minutes from the nearest city
Jan 21st 2015
      its a compromise
Jan 21st 2015
      Most ppl aren't going to the museum routinely
Jan 21st 2015
      This is why we left NYC
Jan 22nd 2015
           I can see that. Why pay for what you don't need
Jan 22nd 2015
      Old homes can be expensive and difficult
Jan 21st 2015
s p a c e.
Jan 21st 2015
People are moving from the NE to Charlotte...
Jan 21st 2015
i'm afraid ATL, LA, and Houston might be the models.
Jan 21st 2015
why do you keep claiming there is nothing in the Suburbs
Jan 21st 2015
      Lol.
Jan 21st 2015
      no shit. that's the point tho
Jan 21st 2015
           there's definitely shit in the suburbs
Jan 22nd 2015
      something bad happened to him in the suburbs...
Jan 21st 2015
Anywhere that there is no diversity and middle to low income is a bad id...
Jan 21st 2015
See: Clayton County, GA
Jan 21st 2015
and Douglas/Southwest Fulton area
Jan 21st 2015
they're only telling half the story of where the white folks are going.
Jan 21st 2015
Yep
Jan 21st 2015
^^^ excellent quote
Jan 21st 2015
yea it's really about whites grabbing up new development
Jan 21st 2015
true
Jan 21st 2015
Here it is a continuation of white flight
Jan 21st 2015
this is the DFW area
Jan 21st 2015
yea, it's like sandwiches with layers added on sometimes
Jan 22nd 2015
It's happening in Philly
Jan 21st 2015
key sentence
Jan 21st 2015
STAY WOKE
Jan 21st 2015
Right here (Im in Detroit)
Jan 21st 2015
      i dont know what to compare it to
Jan 21st 2015
           Oh I refuse to have this discussion any
Jan 21st 2015
                yes yes yes!
Jan 21st 2015
                LIES AND MENDACITY
Jan 21st 2015
                     LOL I promise it exists
Jan 22nd 2015
hilarious. my parents live in the inland empire
Jan 21st 2015
my family live in it's twin to the North, the Antelope Valley
Jan 21st 2015
      fascinating
Jan 21st 2015
aka Spring Valley
Jan 21st 2015
RE: Minorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*
Jan 22nd 2015

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This will be the new normal. See the Paris suburbs"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-21-15 11:08 AM by John Forte

Cities have the infrastructure, amenities and communities. It's only 'cism that pushed affluent people out of the cities. In more (historically) homogenous societies where white flight wasn't a factor, the suburbs are where people who can't afford the city live, not vice versa.

People SHOULD want to live in the cities (or completely rural areas). Dense population centers are what birthed society and civilization. Humans are meant to live in close proximity with other humans.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "older I get, the more I'm thinking like this"
In response to Reply # 1

>People SHOULD want to live in the cities (or completely rural
>areas). Dense population centers are what birthed society and
>civilization. Humans are meant to live in close proximity with
>other humans.

was out driving in near "No Man's Land". thought about how annoying it must be to go out miles to get to anything of note when you ain't on a farm

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "I GET the farm/rural thing"
In response to Reply # 6

but I don't understand why people want to live in the middle of nowhere and NOT be in the country.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:40 AM

12. "the best years of my life "
In response to Reply # 7

were when we lived a mile from our closest neighbors. it was also the time when i probably had the closest relationship with my neighbors.

being able to walk out without being bomboarded by the presence of others is truly a joy. of course i still want access to some of the things the modern world. but living all on top of each other... nah.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:45 AM

14. "This I get. What I don't get is being an hour away from the city and"
In response to Reply # 12

NOT living a mile away from your closest neighbor.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:48 AM

15. "I was 90 minutes from the nearest city"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Jan-21-15 11:48 AM by imcvspl

Required trips maybe two times a month for essentials.

*edit* oh maybe you're talking about suburbs with row houses... yeah not me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 03:53 PM

21. "its a compromise"

a bit more space rather that what might be the opposite of claustrophobia

a bit of yard rather than having to care for an acre or more of land

just compromise
i get it

realized i really want a large condo not land because unless i'm retired i'm not trying to do all they work to maintain the house and the land
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:51 PM

30. "Most ppl aren't going to the museum routinely "
Wed Jan-21-15 04:52 PM by ndibs

And don't have dining needs McDonald's or tgi Fridays can't fulfill.

Low crime and good schools are most ppls reasons.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 09:18 AM

39. "This is why we left NYC"
In response to Reply # 30

it wasn't the only reason. We definitely wanted to be able to afford to buy property and the bubble bursting in 2008/09 didn't help.

All the shit we claimed we loved about NYC we weren't actually doing.

My sister still lives in Brooklyn and if we want to experience NYC we just fly up and enjoy all it has to offer.

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 11:00 AM

41. "I can see that. Why pay for what you don't need"
In response to Reply # 39

That's a big part of why Pittsburgh works for me. It has shitty nightlife, but I don't go out like that anymore anyway. As far as museums and culture go, I visit a museum or gallery at least twice a month. We're members at all the Carnegie Museums (art, natural history, science center, Andy Warhol museum), the Children's museum, as well as the zoo and Phipps Conservatory. We eat out at the independent restaurants and shop at the ethnic markets. I bike and take public transportation. I take free Korean classes at the public library. We use the parks and playgrounds.

If you're in the city and not making use of the city, maybe you shouldn't be paying for it.

ndibs
12715 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:59 PM

32. "Old homes can be expensive and difficult "

To get to the point where they have the amenities and energy efficiency of a new home. The homes in my area once renovated are no doubt more expensive than west omaha homes. Someone renovated an arts and crafts style house here on a corner. They had a construction crew there everyday for 6 months. I can't imagine what that costs. My cousin liked the smaller older homes in this neighborhood, but the $ investment for fixing things up put everything over her budget.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "s p a c e."
In response to Reply # 7

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:06 PM

26. "People are moving from the NE to Charlotte..."
In response to Reply # 6

but it ain't really Charlotte. They move an hour from Charlotte in the middle of nowhere in a big ass house and then say "Charlotte's boring"

well, it's because you don't live in Charlotte.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "i'm afraid ATL, LA, and Houston might be the models. "
In response to Reply # 1

ever-expanding suburbia. w/more edge cities.

i hope not though.

fuck you.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 03:50 PM

20. "why do you keep claiming there is nothing in the Suburbs"
In response to Reply # 1

Why?

I use to think you meant culture: Music venues; Quality museums and art galleries; niche or varied food choices; boutique clothign stores; high-quality eye candy; access to transportation that does not require a car

Suburbs wont have that...

but you aren't speaking of this, you are speaking of simple shit like housing and amenities.

All SoCal suburbs have malls, a Chilis, a BJs, a YardHouse, a quality Mexican food spot, a quality Indian food spot, a hardware store, a gun range, a BNN

so a family of 3-4 best be living in the Burbs and not a city if they aint making that 100k singular or together. It would be a fucn mistake. 800 square foot apartment for $1500, or a three bedroom house with a lawn and front backyard for $1250

i've lived in all three City, Rural, Burbs, they all have their positives and negatives.

ndibs
12715 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 05:06 PM

34. "Lol."
In response to Reply # 20

>All SoCal suburbs have

Not a gotdamn thing I'm interested in...

malls, a Chilis, a BJs, a YardHouse, a
>quality Mexican food spot, a quality Indian food spot, a
>hardware store, a gun range, a BNN

So they're basically like all suburbs.

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 05:37 PM

35. "no shit. that's the point tho"
In response to Reply # 34

John keeps saying its the sticks, they're not. it's a very sterile form of modern life, it's not a got to drive an hour to get some milk

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 11:04 AM

42. "there's definitely shit in the suburbs"
In response to Reply # 35

you just have to drive a ways to get to it, and it's usually nothing of worth. Although, the burbs DO have good supermarkets.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 07:08 PM

36. "something bad happened to him in the suburbs..."
In response to Reply # 20

GHNO
Member since Aug 22nd 2012
865 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:09 AM

2. "Anywhere that there is no diversity and middle to low income is a bad id..."
In response to Reply # 0

regardless of the racial makeup....

but yeah...
this old news.

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:11 AM

3. "See: Clayton County, GA"
In response to Reply # 0

Streets won't let me chill.

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 09:09 PM

37. "and Douglas/Southwest Fulton area"
In response to Reply # 3

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:13 AM

4. "they're only telling half the story of where the white folks are going."
In response to Reply # 0

b/c they're not just filling up the inner cities. they're also pushing even further out into the boonies.

like in STL. the slumburbs thing is real in North St. Louis County (see: Ferguson and Berkeley). and some parts of the city are gentrifying w/white influx. but the western communities in St. Charles County are also gaining in population. parts of St. Charles County that were farmland and prairie 10 yrs ago are now full of strip malls and townhome developments and detached single family home subdivisions. the state has built 2 new bridges across the Missouri River to increase access out there. it's exploding - and faster than the city is being gentrified, i suspect.

i wonder where else that's going on.

fuck you.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 4

>like in STL. the slumburbs thing is real in North St. Louis
>County (see: Ferguson and Berkeley). and some parts of the
>city are gentrifying w/white influx. but the western
>communities in St. Charles County are also gaining in
>population. parts of St. Charles County that were farmland
>and prairie 10 yrs ago are now full of strip malls and
>townhome developments and detached single family home
>subdivisions. the state has built 2 new bridges across the
>Missouri River to increase access out there. it's exploding -
>and faster than the city is being gentrified, i suspect.
>
>i wonder where else that's going on.

places no one would have ever thought would be "home"
torn away to make circles of beige houses

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:50 AM

16. "^^^ excellent quote"
In response to Reply # 8

>places no one would have ever thought would be "home"
>torn away to make circles of beige houses
>

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:52 AM

17. "yea it's really about whites grabbing up new development"
In response to Reply # 4

whether that be in the city
or 15 miles outside in new subdivisions

~~~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 03:55 PM

22. "true"
In response to Reply # 4

i'm thinking about detroit
and areas of upstate where folks bought farms

there mainly this avoidance of the suburbs thing going on
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

ndibs
12715 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:50 PM

29. "Here it is a continuation of white flight "
In response to Reply # 4

And also a lot people don't have an appreciation for the older homes in the gentrifying areas. My cousins both bought houses near 170th street in the last year. I grew up on 95th which was an area that was mostly farmland when we first moved there and considered the western edge of town (in fact it was a suburb). Now 170th street is omaha.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 09:47 PM

38. "this is the DFW area"
In response to Reply # 4

people just moving further and further out

its just so much cheaper and you get so much more

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 11:08 AM

43. "yea, it's like sandwiches with layers added on sometimes"
In response to Reply # 4

metro cities are becoming more expensive and pushing us coloreds out to the suburbs without addressing some of the issues that was plaguing us in the cities...add class divides to that bc those that made the jump early got raped by the housing bubble...the late-comers were pushed rather than looking for new oppurtunities...all the while...some of the things the early nigga-colonists tried to escape followed them...

while all this was happening...the dev companies were bathing in money while everyone else took most of the hit for the bubble bursting while yt went full gentrification mode or held on to their pockets of affluent suburbia and tried to insulate themselves from the economic shittiness...

and the ones that didn't reverse white flight back into the city often pushed further out into what was once no man's land...i know way more people living in W Va or commuting from some flyover area with mad land back home...it seems miserable to me but people are definitely making the most out of it somehow

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:18 AM

5. "It's happening in Philly"
In response to Reply # 0

More poor people moving out to the Delaware County burbs because the rents are too high in their old neighborhoods.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:32 AM

9. "key sentence"
In response to Reply # 0

>That's the theory behind "slumburbia," the notion that the
>*****dark***** conditions that once characterized the Inner City are
>following minorities as they pursue the American Dream to the
>suburbs.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:33 AM

10. "STAY WOKE"
In response to Reply # 9

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:52 AM

18. "Right here (Im in Detroit)"
In response to Reply # 9

I struggle with this notion
People didnt have the "foresight" to see this coming.

In cities such as Southfield, Oak Park, Royal Oak etc the rents started getting cheaper and landlords started accepting Section 8 as well.

In my area most of those folks that moved are Black so it contributes to the stereotype that when Blacks move in the property value goes down and the area because a "ghetto" as opposed to benign neglect. There is this idea that Southern Oakland County is now "North Detroit" with all the issues the city has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_neglect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_shrinkage
When you marry, your credit report stays the same. The only information on both spouses’ reports are joint accounts or those for which one spouse is an authorized user.

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 03:59 PM

24. "i dont know what to compare it to"
In response to Reply # 18

one group of people with the resources and the gov't backing to make things happen
another group with less resources and govt opposition

its hard to describe this to people
living in a gentrified area
its so damn hard to explain this to people
its not "they dont care" its NO ONE LISTENED
~~~~
~~~~

DaHeathenOne76
29362 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:11 PM

27. "Oh I refuse to have this discussion any"
In response to Reply # 24

on other city related forums especially with NEWBIES

People DO NOT GET IT

Its all well "why didnt the residents clean up, why didnt the residents do this and that blah blah".

The Byzantine bureaucratic mess that is/was Detroit.

I wont even get into that city computers were on Windows ME or XP. . .in 2014

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:56 PM

31. "yes yes yes!"
In response to Reply # 27

>on other city related forums especially with NEWBIES
>
>People DO NOT GET IT
>
>Its all well "why didnt the residents clean up, why didnt the
>residents do this and that blah blah".
>
>The Byzantine bureaucratic mess that is/was Detroit.
>
>I wont even get into that city computers were on Windows ME or
>XP. . .in 2014

THIS

~~~~
~~~~

Mongo
45670 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 05:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "LIES AND MENDACITY"
In response to Reply # 27

>I wont even get into that city computers were on Windows ME or
>XP. . .in 2014
>
>

THERE IS NOT NOW NOR WAS THERE EVER A 'WINDOWS ME'

I REFUSE

NO

UNICORNS FIRST

DaHeathenOne76
29362 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 10:50 AM

40. "LOL I promise it exists"
In response to Reply # 33

I will take a pic next time I go to city county building
Im there all the time doing my research
When you marry, your credit report stays the same. The only information on both spouses’ reports are joint accounts or those for which one spouse is an authorized user.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 11:53 AM

19. "hilarious. my parents live in the inland empire"
In response to Reply # 0

i totally hate it out there

but

its quiet as hell and Im seeing black/poor families thrive in ways not seen in the city

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 03:55 PM

23. "my family live in it's twin to the North, the Antelope Valley"
In response to Reply # 19

and it's true. Black and Brown are mostly chilling and surviving in ways that would be impossible in Los Angeles proper

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:02 PM

25. "fascinating"
In response to Reply # 23

~~~~
~~~~

Mongo
45670 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 04:31 PM

28. "aka Spring Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 11:21 AM

44. "RE: Minorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like the Poconos

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #12704041 Previous topic | Next topic