Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12702590

Subject: "D'angelo and the Vanguard at the Apollo! Who got tix?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Sparks
Member since Nov 20th 2007
3206 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 07:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"D'angelo and the Vanguard at the Apollo! Who got tix?"

https://www.apollotheater.org/all/details/380-dangelo_2_7_15

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
tried to get them in presale this morning, no go
Jan 19th 2015
sold out
Jan 21st 2015
FUX this show
Jan 21st 2015
Who went?
Feb 07th 2015
Second Coming indeed. My thoughts:
Feb 08th 2015
      RE: Second Coming indeed. My thoughts:
Feb 08th 2015
Yep....
Feb 08th 2015

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 07:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "tried to get them in presale this morning, no go"
In response to Reply # 0

will try again wednesday. did you get some?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
instagram:
http://instagram.com/0kayndc

"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

Tony Sparks
3206 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 05:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "sold out"
In response to Reply # 0

stubhub got tix for crazy prices for upper mezzanine.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "FUX this show"
In response to Reply # 2

I wanted to go but this is just some biship!

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Tony Sparks
3206 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 11:50 PM

4. "Who went?"
In response to Reply # 0

meeatt
Member since Oct 25th 2004
528 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Second Coming indeed. My thoughts:"
In response to Reply # 4

D was out there like he had something to prove. Like "I'm BACK, motherfuckers." Lot of energy---looked happy and carefree up there at the same time. My thoughts/highlights:

was giddy as hell that he opened up with "Prayer." -- just him on stage and the band slowly filed in. that's a deep album cut i would never expect to see performed live, but it was the PERFECT opener. D was going in with the church vocals and the stage lights off, and it grabbed everybody right out of the gate.

Back to The Future -- came OFF. another cut i wasn't expecting to hear, and was surprised it got one of the biggest reactions of the night. same for Tutu. i looked around at the crowd and folks were JAMMING. very diverse crowd too. you had your middle-aged black women who came to hear the Brown Sugar stuff, you had your white hippy/jam-band crowd that love the new shit, you had your beatheads, and it seemed like a lot of rich foreigners who just came to see what all the fuss was about over D.

Brown Sugar - new arrangement was dope like previous poster said--more jazzy.

Really Love / One Mo Gin (VERY extended version) - this was probably the second highlight of the show for me. it showed once again that the biggest draw with D is "mostly tha voice." and as much as i love the guitar-heavy stuff on Messiah, it just doesn't come off as well live as when it's just D crooning over some mellow tones from the band.

Alright - was great to see them do this. Chris Dave sounded EXACTLY like the record with those fills.

Untitled -- the necessary closer, and of course he murked it. would've been nice to hear Another Life though. i think a lot of people, my girl most of all, were hoping to hear that.

that's all i can remember for now, but yeah. most of all it was great to see D having so much fun up there---interacting with the front row crowd, dancing, clapping, joking with the band. just feeling it. i loved it. the classic comeback story.

show was about 2 and 1/2 hours strong. songs he did, as best i can remember:

Prayer
1000 Deaths
Feel Like Makin Love
Really Love
One Mo Gin
Alright
Aint That Easy
Sugah Daddy
The Charade
Back to the Future
Left & Right
Lady
Brown Sugar
Tutu
Untitled

http://soundcloud.com/manic-choints/

www.twitter.com/itsmeManic

http://vimeo.com/mattferran

tynie626
Charter member
1860 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 12:51 PM

7. "RE: Second Coming indeed. My thoughts:"
In response to Reply # 6

Prayer sounded so dope live, so many people who said they skip that song on the album now, should have a wholly new appreciation for the live version. On the other hand, one of my album favorites, 1000 Deaths, came across muddy. Not sure if it was just where my seat was (right orchestra, row b), or what, but i struggled to hear the lyrics on that song.

Highlights was the illustrious One Mo Gin. I never got to hear that song live during the Voodoo tour, and as one of my favorite songs from that album, I screamed so loud when they started playing it. As always, the closer Untitled, leaving D onstage alone on keys was gorgeous. Till It's Done also sounded muddy to me, but I didn't care because I was too busy dancing. The Brown Sugar jam session was so necessary! Unfortunate that the folks in my seat refused to get up or clap their hands -- so lame. They were bringing the energy down near me.

Aside from that, a happy, smiling D'Angelo is always what I want to see at his shows. He was energetic, upbeat, and confident. Didn't even feel like 15 years had passed.

--------
twitter: /tynie626

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 09:13 AM

5. "Yep...."
In response to Reply # 0

Dope show....Extended jams....Pino was in imacualte pocket all night. D seemed very happy and energetic. The new songs popped live (Especially "Charade" and "Back To The Future")....And the new arrangements (They fucking flipped the hell out of "Brown Sugar") got the crowd going.

Put down the money when dude comes to your town.....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Lobby General Discussion topic #12702590 Previous topic | Next topic