Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12701758

Subject: "I rather play at parties that I promote instead of playing at others eve..." Previous topic | Next topic
Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Sun Jan-18-15 12:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"I rather play at parties that I promote instead of playing at others eve..."

That why, I can play what ever the fuck I want to play, and you can get off my case about what I am playing.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
uh-oh...lol
Jan 18th 2015
the difference between a rave DJ and a club DJ
Jan 18th 2015
RE: the difference between a rave DJ and a club DJ
Jan 18th 2015
      I have done almost exactly the same thing
Jan 18th 2015
           didnt know you were in the A
Jan 19th 2015

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Sun Jan-18-15 08:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "uh-oh...lol"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my first gigs, dude had a spot, looking for a dj.

I slid him a "demo" cd. Three 20 minute mixes:classic house, newer house, baltimore club.

I got the gig, dude was like "just come in and do what you do". I get to the spot, start setting up and the owner starts "suggesting" that he wants to hear some "Old school...like Eric B and UTFO". I kinda give him a look and tell him, "I'm just gonna keep it to what I was booked to do until the promoter gets here." My man gets there and tells me to change it up, to play some r&b and hip hop. Needless to say I didnt last long.

But, to your point....I feel you. I do enjoy playing others events though, but I'm very specific in the questions that I ask about vibe.

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sun Jan-18-15 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the difference between a rave DJ and a club DJ"
In response to Reply # 0

When I played out at raves and big events, the promoters booked me for the music I had on my demo CD (detroit techno, electro, a touch of house, and ghettotech). I get on, do my thing, then jump off.

The few times I let someone talk me into spinning at clubs or bars, it was always the bullshit y'all talking about. Get the venue owner or manager shoving random CD's in my face talmbout "yo, can you play this???" or the promoter asking if I can change it up for the night (no... I brought specific records out, not this shit y'all askin for).

... even when I had my residency they knew exactly what to expect from my set and never asked me to deviate except for one night where we got double booked with some Q's. That one was actually ok 'cause I got to throw my gloves off and act a fool on the decks.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Sun Jan-18-15 02:44 PM

3. "RE: the difference between a rave DJ and a club DJ"
In response to Reply # 2

>"yo, can you play this???" or the promoter asking if I can
>change it up for the night (no... I brought specific records
>out, not this shit y'all askin for).
>

DUDE!!

Had this residency for over a year. Spot got bought (you already know whats coming..) and the new owners were coming out to check out their "talent". This spot had a long history in the House community, and the previous owners tols them they would be smart to leave it at that.

Right..

They come to check me out, and I got the usuals there..couch dancing, on the patio playing cards and what not..pulled up to bar..everything is cool. One of the owners comes over "hey man...you got any Rick Ross or anything like that?" Nah man...this is a House spot...nobody plays that kind of stuff here. "Well, see...I brought my friends out with me, and they wanna hear some Rick Ross". Hey man..ya'll might need to go elsewhere then. Did you know what type of spot you were buying? I got tired of the BS and plugged my ipod in (Big Boi's first album had just came out), threw that on, got a drink and went and sat outside with my folk. Did that for about 15 minutes, went back in, grabbed my shit and left.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Sun Jan-18-15 04:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I have done almost exactly the same thing"
In response to Reply # 3

In terms of somebody asking me to play a whole bunch of shit, and they are the so called "organized". I will straight up pull up a podcast and dip on yo ass, if you in my face about shit like that.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 02:58 PM

5. "didnt know you were in the A"
In response to Reply # 4

just sent you a fb request homie

Lobby General Discussion topic #12701758 Previous topic | Next topic