Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12700227

Subject: "Pope says Charlie Hebdo had it coming..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pope says Charlie Hebdo had it coming..."
Thu Jan-15-15 06:39 PM by ndibs

"If my good friend Dr. Gasbarri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said half-jokingly, throwing a mock punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

His pretend punch aside, Francis by no means said the violent attack on Charlie Hebdo was justified. Quite the opposite: He said such horrific violence in God's name couldn't be justified and was an "aberration." But he said a reaction of some sort was to be expected.
"There are so many people who speak badly about religions or other religions, who make fun of them, who make a game out of the religions of others," he said. "They are provocateurs. And what happens to them is what would happen to Dr. Gasbarri if he says a curse word against my mother. There is a limit."

He added, "I'm in God's hands."

Many people around the world have defended the right of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo to publish inflammatory cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed in the wake of the massacre by Islamic extremists at its Paris offices and subsequent attack on a kosher supermarket in which three gunmen killed 17 people.

Others, though, have noted that in virtually all societies, freedom of speech has its limits, from laws against Holocaust denial to racially motivated hate speech.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-charlie-hebdo-limits-free-expression-121639260.html

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Uh oh!
Jan 15th 2015
hell *I* feel that way and i'm a heathen atheist
Jan 15th 2015
      i do too.
Jan 15th 2015
http://cdn.firstwefeast.com/assets/2013/04/2055_1.gif
Jan 15th 2015
Historic moment in Rastafarian history: I agree with the Pope
Jan 15th 2015
Thug Life Pope
Jan 15th 2015
France and the Papacy had a falling out a while back
Jan 15th 2015
Well he is the head of one of the most murderous and harmful institution...
Jan 15th 2015
that is that too, and he is wrong too
Jan 15th 2015
google the boko haram cover they did. Fuck charlie.
Jan 16th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 06:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Uh oh!"
In response to Reply # 0

But I'm sure he feels that way since CH skewers the Church too.

fuck you.

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "hell *I* feel that way and i'm a heathen atheist"
In response to Reply # 1

i don't justify what happened but i kind of feel like you are playing with fire when you do that kind of shit. you have to expect some blow back.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 08:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i do too."
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Jan-15-15 08:11 PM by SoWhat

and like in the Pope's hypo - curse my mother and i would punch. i would be wrong to punch the person who merely cursed my mother and i should be condemned for reacting that way, but it would likely happen.

ppl: NO. this is NOT like blaming a rape victim. b/c rape victims don't provoke rapists merely by going on a date/getting drunk at a party/wearing revealing clothing/walking in a dark alley...et al. so get off that.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79331 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 07:09 PM

2. "http://cdn.firstwefeast.com/assets/2013/04/2055_1.gif"
In response to Reply # 0

http://cdn.firstwefeast.com/assets/2013/04/2055_1.gif

For the sweet tea

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 08:49 PM

5. "Historic moment in Rastafarian history: I agree with the Pope"
In response to Reply # 0

Muslims clearly state the fact that graven images of Prophet Muhammad are strictly forbidden. Running behind "freedom of speech" doesn't give Charlie Hedbo the right to clown other people's religious beliefs WITHOUT REACTION OR RETRIBUTION.

Were the events in Paris an over the top reaction in my opinion? Yes. Very much so.

But since when do the guys that "poke the bear" get to regulate how the bear reacts? Funny how it's fine and dandy to print whatever you want, but play the victim when folks get upset by it and don't act in aa manner that is "acceptable". How can you insult a large groups' conception of God or it's holy men and not expect retaliation. If you don't want to get jacked up, don't poke the bear.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

sixteenstone
Member since Sep 22nd 2002
27996 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 08:57 PM

6. "Thug Life Pope"
In response to Reply # 0

I like him

Remember Novemthree's Courage...
visit on the web:www.16stonevintage.com
like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/16stonevintage
follow on instagram: http://instagram.com/sixteenstone http://instagram.com/vintageblkmags/

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:04 PM

7. "France and the Papacy had a falling out a while back"
In response to Reply # 0

So there's that

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:15 PM

8. "Well he is the head of one of the most murderous and harmful institution..."
In response to Reply # 0

In the history of humanity, so there's that too.

Not saying he's wrong.

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:33 PM

9. "that is that too, and he is wrong too"
In response to Reply # 8

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Fri Jan-16-15 12:39 AM

10. "google the boko haram cover they did. Fuck charlie."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12700227 Previous topic | Next topic