Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12699804

Subject: "Raising an Entrepreneur, Pt 3 - A Watched Pot..." Previous topic | Next topic
poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 12:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Raising an Entrepreneur, Pt 3 - A Watched Pot..."

Apple download link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/syllabeye/id929083083?mt=8

Android Download Link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syllabeye

==============================================================

Raising an Entrepreneur, Pt 3 - A Watched Pot...

...Never Boils is the rest of the saying. Meaning (because this may just be some old ppl shit) that when you are really anxious for something and watching it, it at least seems like it will not happen. I kinda feel like that watching multiple email accounts, and the android and apple markets for sy llabeye. But that's not really accurate. I'm just wild impatient.

This has been the guys' first week back at school, so all kinds of stuff is jumping off. The professor they are working with in the college of business has kept his word and rolled it out to his students. (One of the things we're doing early on, with some of the limitations of the initial version, is transposing the syllabi from professors into formats which we know will work well with the app). The prof put it up on blackboard for students to download, and they've been using it.

Moreover, they also have an agreement w/ profs in the college of engineering, and have made some forays into the nursing school. Now they are having their friends report that OTHER professors are putting them on to the tool, and that's wonderful.

They did an interview on Tuesday morning with the Daily Reflector, the daily paper in Greenville, where ECU is. I asked them when it was running and they were like, "weonno". Ok.

Yesterday and today school has been delayed by two hours because of possibility of freezing rain. They get in yesterday and the Vice Chancellor sends them a congratulatory email. They send the email to me and are like, 'what's she congratulating us for?' I do a quick search and find out that the interview was published yesterday morning:

http://www.reflector.com/news/ecu-students-create-app-scheduling-2770273

The reporter really did a nice job with the piece. We finally have our first press coverage, and of course, I'm gonna parlay that with other local outlets and be like, how youon't got a story on them when it was all up in the reflector?

I have to now update the website to put up a media section. I'll include a scanned version of this story since its behind a paywall.

At the same time yesterday, I got a forwarded email from a professor of marketing and advertising from the school who asked the head of the small biz incubator where C & J Visions is renting space, if he knew of any businesses which would be interested in having a class of marketing students use them as a project. I answered that one with the quickness, and listed all the reasons why this would be the perfect project:

- company is by students at same school
- product is one that the mktg students can use and benefit from
- VERY new company with need for this

The prof was very cool and she agreed so we will give them some specifics and they will start next week. This won't get rid of the need for interns, as they are more working on a longer term strategy, and the deliverables won't be until the end of the semester. But we can work it and basically have them working on our Phase 2 marketing program.

I'm still watching this pot. Lots of little bubbles in there, but it ain't really boiling boiling yet. Mad press releases and queries and personal appeals that are still unanswered. However, I can feel it happening. In the meantime, I'm trying to strike a balance and get things going in a more self-sustaining direction. I told them I would take up the slack because last thing I want is for them to be so focused on growing the company and doing the day to day that they don't do well in school. For me, this means my 'second job' will be pretty consuming, especially up front.

But I'm cool with that. For (my work work) I've had go-live periods where I've been in China in a hotel for a month, working literally 100+ hours per week. For no overtime or extra compensation. If I can do 40 at the j-o and an extra 40 to 50 as an acting CEO/CTO/Dir of Mktg for a few weeks to get them off to a good start, that will be more than worth it.

Thanks to all of y'all who have downloaded the app, read my updates, offered advice and encouragement, prayers, well wishes and what have you. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Right now the guys have written an FAQ (that explains better how to use the app -- eventually this will be incorporated into the actual app but we'll put it on the web page in the interim). They are shooting another video which will walk people through the process. And cam is working with my younger son (a freshman there) to make sure ALL of his classes are syllab eyed up.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I just came in to tell you how OSSIM this is
Jan 15th 2015
thank you so much. i'm rooting for your endeavor, also.
Jan 15th 2015
exciting times fam. think i missed some back stories
Jan 15th 2015
i just put a link in reply #3. thank you very much.
Jan 15th 2015
PREVIOUS EPISODE LINK:
Jan 15th 2015
so, i'm nervous. this is a pretty weird set of circumstances to
Jan 16th 2015
bubbling - ANOTHER front page article:
Jan 21st 2015

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I just came in to tell you how OSSIM this is"
In response to Reply # 0

here for dis.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 02:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "thank you so much. i'm rooting for your endeavor, also. "
In response to Reply # 1

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 01:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "exciting times fam. think i missed some back stories"
In response to Reply # 0

but congrats

kinda sounds like the scale potential is there to blow it up beyond schools
like how rap genius -> genius

for the teacher adoption, seems like whatever dept or service that uploads/maintains the class notes,online tests, etc would be the warehouse for every course syllabus. at least as some schools. get in with them and get the whole college in one shot

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 02:34 PM

5. "i just put a link in reply #3. thank you very much. "
In response to Reply # 2

>but congrats
>
>kinda sounds like the scale potential is there to blow it up
>beyond schools
>like how rap genius -> genius

exactamundo (c) DOOM

potential is there to scale in multiple directions. key thing is getting traction with the core market + function so the other ish can jump off.

>
>for the teacher adoption, seems like whatever dept or service
>that uploads/maintains the class notes,online tests, etc would
>be the warehouse for every course syllabus. at least as some
>schools. get in with them and get the whole college in one
>shot

yes. we're using a 'tops down' and 'bottoms up' approach.

bottoms up = marketing directly to students and convincing them to download and use the app

tops down = courting school administrations, convincing them that this provides a sizeable benefit to them (improved student performance, reduced time for instructors dealing w/ missed assignments, etc) at an extremely small cost. ideal would be some schools throwing some bread at buying the license for their whole freshman class or something like that.

modified tops down = courting individual professors. if we can get one prof to see the light, then that = potential sales for their whole class, which could be 30 or 100 or 500 students at a pop. also, word of mouth from happy profs would equal de facto adoption by departments, which is a backdoor approach to getting the schools to set the direction at the dept level.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 02:28 PM

3. "PREVIOUS EPISODE LINK: "
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12693309&mesg_id=12693309&listing_type=search

meant to put that in the op.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Fri Jan-16-15 12:12 PM

6. "so, i'm nervous. this is a pretty weird set of circumstances to "
In response to Reply # 0

be in.

I can see some correlations in our download numbers with the start of school this week, and we're in the hundreds, not thousands, yet. we also have a fairly low conversion rate (about 8% on apple).

but this is only 2 or 3 days worth of data.

the data lags by a day to two days (depending upon whether we're looking at apple or google).

a lot of this has to do with how we're launching. weather hasn't been good enough for hte on campus demos. and individual profs are steering their students toward the app. so that is resulting in a bump. however, if a student has only prof using it, they don't necessarily have an incentive to pay for the unlimited scans feature.

but again, its mad early.

we really need to get some national press popping.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 12:05 PM

7. "bubbling - ANOTHER front page article: "
In response to Reply # 0

from the East Carolinian (school newspaper) -

ECU students create app to make scheduling assignments easier

http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/news/article_a46f6f1c-a048-11e4-9311-4f318e0ad141.html#.VL-0Vt4NcQg.twitter via @TEC_newspaper

I didn't mention it above, but the article in the Greenville Daily Reflector was front page as well. i'd have LOVED to see the face of that car dealership GM that tried to play my son over the summer when he sat down to read the paper.

they've gotten a lot of inquiries and things off of that.

also, they are supposed to be featured in Substantial Magazine. that's a glossy mag that is focused, apparently, on the Black market in eastern nc.

we need some national coverage, though. but glad the momentum is starting to pick up on the home court.

also, was talking to lead dev for android via skype and worked through some application architecture and design things for a couple of new features that we need in order to increase accuracy, improve ease of use and aid marketing.

i really got to push out some more stuff to the website (including the media page). i may keep the present layout, etc., for the main joint and swap out the guts with a wordpress theme or something that is easier to update.

b/c i need some interactive features to collect emails, get input from customers, facilitate sharing, etc.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Lobby General Discussion topic #12699804 Previous topic | Next topic