Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12699517

Subject: "AZ police officer killed on camera (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"AZ police officer killed on camera (link)"

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/01/13/records-flagstaff-officer-shot-searched-suspect/21526819/

Of course this is being used as a PSA on why cops shoot to kill but the guy looks white, harmless and was able to have a 3 minute convo before he pulled the gun on the cop.

When cops shoot Blacks there is no 3 minute conversation... they usually have guns drawn already while screaming "show me your hands"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I feel like this was inevitable.
Jan 15th 2015
comments sections on Fox News are all asking about Al & Jesse
Jan 15th 2015
they keep that sentence on a text file on their desktops ready to
Jan 15th 2015
this kind of incident is constantly referenced to rookies AND vets...
Jan 15th 2015
      Most level headed thing I've read anyone write on the topic in a minute.
Jan 16th 2015
Ain't no way a cop is suppose to let you keep your hands in your pocket....
Jan 15th 2015
that is my thinking as well...
Jan 15th 2015
If that was Obama's son... he'd have been spread-eagle over the hood
Jan 15th 2015
or maybe that was just a decent cop
Jan 16th 2015
      No such thing-- the system does not allow it
Jan 16th 2015

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I feel like this was inevitable. "
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't anticipate the NYPD execution but I figured it was a matter of time there would be footage of a police officer getting killed that officers would use to justify the severe approach that they use in confrontations.

There has to be a middle road though. I can imagine if this was a black dude he probably would have treated the dude having his hands in his pocket alot differently.

I imagine protocol would have been a pat down very early on before lowering his guard.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

legsdiamond
79578 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:48 AM

2. "comments sections on Fox News are all asking about Al & Jesse"
In response to Reply # 1

I know why but ummm... what the hell do they have to do with this?

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:36 AM

5. "they keep that sentence on a text file on their desktops ready to "
In response to Reply # 2

to copy paste. Along with
"but does he look like Obama's son"
"OBAMA"
"Obama"
"Race Hustlers"
"Race Card"

ect...

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:06 AM

4. "this kind of incident is constantly referenced to rookies AND vets..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Jan-17-15 06:02 AM by CyrenYoung

>There has to be a middle road though. I can imagine if this
>was a black dude he probably would have treated the dude
>having his hands in his pocket alot differently.
>
>I imagine protocol would have been a pat down very early on
>before lowering his guard.

this officer made several crucial mistakes:

- he responded to a domestic violence call alone
- failure to recognize the inherent danger of an unknown suspect who fled the scene
- left the scene, only to return (after consulting a sr officer - his father) without frisking/patting down the suspect for weapons.

its obvious that the officer was a bit leery and nervous, as he continued to ask if the suspect is carrying any weapons. its unfortunate that this happened, but this is why veteran training officers stress the dangers of the "unknown." failure to recognize this danger can lead to tragic circumstances. unfortunately for this officer, that's exactly what happened.

police officers should always approach people in a reasonably professional manner, with regards to the nature of the call/situation. at the same time, citizen should always recognize that any officer responding to an emergency call can/will/should treat everyone on the scene as a potential danger UNTIL each person present has been properly frisked & vetted.

*we ALL need to search for better ways to ensure the safety of everyone (citizens, officers, etc). this isn't about proving a point or winnin' an argument for any agenda. its about making sure everyone has a legitimate opportunity to live/work and make it home safely every night.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

*STU*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Fri Jan-16-15 10:30 AM

8. "Most level headed thing I've read anyone write on the topic in a minute."
In response to Reply # 4

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:50 AM

3. "Ain't no way a cop is suppose to let you keep your hands in your pocket...."
In response to Reply # 0

If dude was Black I'm sure that Cop would have followed the book and patted him down from the jump.

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

legsdiamond
79578 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 12:21 PM

6. "that is my thinking as well..."
In response to Reply # 3

IMO all it showed was how lax an officer can get when the perp isn't Black.

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "If that was Obama's son... he'd have been spread-eagle over the hood"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-15-15 01:03 PM by 8-bit

Patted-down. Checked for weapons. Maybe even cuffed and sat on the curb for the officer's safety. And this was a DV call? lol. I've gotten the above treatment (sans handcuffs) for simply "looking suspicious."

If anything, this shows how much bullshit some of these cops spew. Apparently, they are only "worried about their safety" when it's a black or latino male, regardless of the actual risk they face in a particular situation.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Fri Jan-16-15 10:59 AM

9. "or maybe that was just a decent cop"
In response to Reply # 7

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Jan-16-15 11:00 AM

10. "No such thing-- the system does not allow it"
In response to Reply # 9

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Lobby General Discussion topic #12699517 Previous topic | Next topic