Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12699273

Subject: "French comedian faces trial over Facebook comments (WSJ)" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 09:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"French comedian faces trial over Facebook comments (WSJ)"

Yet again - the French contradict their own principles. The rally
to protect open expression is a just cause, but they must be clear
and principled in how that is applied in society. In France, it is
illegal to deny holocaust - and here it's apparently illegal for a comedian
to express himself on Facebook for simply saying: “I feel like Charlie Coulibaly.”

So where is the line drawn?

This is an egregious contradiction that mirrors the absurdity of the French policy
banning the full-face veil.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/charlie-hebdo-french-comedian-detained-over-online-comments-1421229693

PARIS—French prosecutors Wednesday ordered stand-up comedian Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala to stand trial next month on criminal charges of being an apologist for terrorism, after he appeared to express solidarity with one of the gunmen who stunned France last week.

The case, which comes a week after the deadly attack on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, highlights the challenge of drawing a line between blasphemy—which French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said this week wasn’t and would never be prosecuted—and various forms of hate speech that are regarded as criminal offenses under French law.

Mr. M’Bala M’Bala, who goes by the stage name Dieudonné, was taken into police custody early Wednesday, following online comments in which he appeared to liken himself to Amedy Coulibaly —the shooter who killed a policewoman and four people at a kosher store in two separate incidents, claiming to have acted in coordination with two brothers who massacred 12 people in the newsroom of Charlie Hebdo.

Paris prosecutors said Dieudonné was questioned about comments he made after Sunday marches in France, during which an estimated four million people paid tribute to victims of the attacks, rallying under the free-speech banner of “I am Charlie,”

A comment posted on Dieudonné’s Facebook page, which his lawyer confirmed were written by the comedian, read: “I feel like Charlie Coulibaly.”

Paris prosecutors said Dieudonné’s comments could be regarded as a call in support of terrorist actions and fall under French laws criminalizing apologists for terrorism.

Dieudonné was released Wednesday evening after nearly a full day of questioning, according to his lawyer, Jacques Verdier.

“My client’s comments aren’t, by far, an endorsement of terrorism,” Mr. Verdier said, adding Dieudonné was “harassed by French authorities.”

By Wednesday afternoon, the line in which Mr. Dieudonné mentions Mr. Coulibaly—who was killed in a police raid at the kosher store—no longer appeared on the comedian’s Facebook page.

Instead, the page carried a comment in which the comedian says he supported the Charlie Hebdo victims and took part in the march to defend freedom of speech. “I only seek to make people laugh, laugh about death the same way death laughs about us,” the post reads.

For years, Dieudonné has tested the limits of free speech in France with comments that have been called hate speech and anti-Semitic by government officials, including France’s Prime Minister Manuel Valls.

Dieudonné has rejected the accusations, saying his attitude is no different from Charlie Hebdo’s.

Since last week, French authorities have moved to crack down on those who glorify the attacks amid fears they could encourage would-be terrorists to act.

Since the attacks, several people across France have been detained for condoning terrorism, with some already convicted. Kamal Belaidi was sentenced to a four-year jail term on Monday after overtly hailing the killing of the three police officers and shouting “Allahu akbar” to police officers at the scene of a car accident in the northern French town of Valenciennes, the local deputy prosecutor, Christophe Delattre, said Tuesday.

“We must act with a total severity on those who express racism, anti-Semitism or against Islam—as mosques were also targeted,” French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told French radio, while Dieudonné was being questioned by police.

-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
pas de liberté d'expression pour vous l'homme noir
Jan 14th 2015
RMC!
Jan 14th 2015
This dude has always been under fire in France though
Jan 15th 2015
its disgusting
Jan 15th 2015
It just feels like more war is coming.
Jan 14th 2015
You're not-- don't even let me get my tinfoil hat
Jan 15th 2015
Clearly all speech is restricted; this is 1 of their restrictions.
Jan 15th 2015
This is the angle I would have been arguing in all those other posts.
Jan 15th 2015
The law seems consistent with French principles. The Pleven Law
Jan 15th 2015
This...
Jan 15th 2015
What exactly are the french principles?
Jan 15th 2015
      'Let then eat cake' and 'Off with your head'
Jan 15th 2015
      well the state will fund different schools
Jan 15th 2015
      There is a distinction between principle and practice
Jan 15th 2015
           I also think there's a cultural divide shaped by each...
Jan 15th 2015
                Exactly, and on the other side, we have been more fearful of the
Jan 15th 2015
                I get the French prohibitions on "inciteful speech". Rwanda needed that...
Jan 15th 2015
                so why's the magazine allowed to run amuck & foster xenophobia
Jan 15th 2015
                     I'm glad you used the term "allowed to" - b/c that's what's at issue
Jan 16th 2015
i think the line is pretty friggin clear...
Jan 15th 2015
Selective liberty of expression
Jan 15th 2015
a nerds reply:
Jan 15th 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 09:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "pas de liberté d'expression pour vous l'homme noir"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 09:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RMC!"
In response to Reply # 1

(rire mon cul)

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 09:24 AM

5. "This dude has always been under fire in France though "
In response to Reply # 1

He's like the Sacha Baron Cohen of France. This maybe more bad press is good press for him than anything else.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 02:16 PM

20. "its disgusting"
In response to Reply # 1

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 09:46 PM

2. "It just feels like more war is coming."
In response to Reply # 0

All this nonsense will eventually reach a boiling point. I hope I'm wrong.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 09:22 AM

4. "You're not-- don't even let me get my tinfoil hat"
In response to Reply # 2

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 09:25 AM

6. "Clearly all speech is restricted; this is 1 of their restrictions."
In response to Reply # 0

And the line is apparently drawn when the wrong type of French citizens (aka the not white, non-secular, non Judeo-Christian) say something heinous.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:03 AM

7. "This is the angle I would have been arguing in all those other posts."
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:21 AM

8. "The law seems consistent with French principles. The Pleven Law"
In response to Reply # 0

was passed over 50 years ago with unanimous assent in the French legislature. Their strategy may be out of step with other Western countries, but their laws are lockstep with French norms regarding liberty and racial equality. Our outlook on the freedom of speech is more rooted in the protection of individual liberty. Hard to say which one is better.

Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "This..."
In response to Reply # 8

> Our
>outlook on the freedom of speech is more rooted in the
>protection of individual liberty. Hard to say which one is
>better.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:31 AM

10. "What exactly are the french principles?"
In response to Reply # 8

I went to school with a french girl and she told me it was shocking to be in a classroom with people with Yarmulkes, star of davids, Christian Crosses and Islamic attire.

It's always been strange to me that in pursuit of the same general principle that there practice would have that exact opposite outcome as you would have in the states (i.e., you have a right to wear all that stuff).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:33 AM

11. "'Let then eat cake' and 'Off with your head'"
In response to Reply # 10

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:34 AM

12. "well the state will fund different schools"
Thu Jan-15-15 10:35 AM by ndibs

for jews and catholics so they can go to school separately.

mulsim specfic schools are NOT funded.

the rest it's too early to get into.

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:04 AM

14. "There is a distinction between principle and practice"
Thu Jan-15-15 11:07 AM by stattic

The US offers more protection to racist speech than France, but French laws aimed at racist speech are consistent with their interpretation of equality, which welcomes limits on individual liberty that protect the collective. This discussion of consistency with republican principles does not take into consideration whether the laws are effective nor whether other laws or the operation of these laws contradict the underlying principles.

Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I also think there's a cultural divide shaped by each..."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Jan-15-15 11:24 AM by Mongo

...country's historical narrative.

France has experienced fascism in a way the United States can't really comprehend.

My sense is that as a country, it perceives society as susceptible to certain forms of speech, and that perception of vulnerability has woven itself into the political culture, so the laws in place are intended to stop it before it grows.

The United States (arguably) hasn't experienced the same kind of totalitarian political and social collapse France has.

So we're less suspicious of inflammatory speech, and feel that it's unhealthy to exclude it from the national dialog.

Individual rights are much more enshrined in America's culture and law than France's.

For better or worse.

From my perspective, Dieudonné is a piece of shit, but you don't censor him.

But I never had to live under the Vichy regime, so I don't know how fair it is to level criticism.

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:37 AM

17. "Exactly, and on the other side, we have been more fearful of the"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Jan-15-15 11:38 AM by stattic

invasive state due to our existence as a colony. Racial equality was not really a strong component of the Constitution, and the 14th Amendment did not really help either. In addition to the horror of living under the Vichy regime, the fact that it even existed in the first place imparted a fair amount of shame, whether deserved or not. I just find it difficult to criticise when I haven't seen any country perfectly strike a balance.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 01:35 PM

19. "I get the French prohibitions on "inciteful speech". Rwanda needed that..."
In response to Reply # 17

What RTLMC did was criminal.

It takes a genocide for people to maybe reconsider the value of protecting ALL speech.

Of course there is a thin line between what RTLMC did and the fear and hate mongering of Fox News.

That someone is allowed to make that call is a bit scary as a person raised in the US...and seeing how it is playing out in France.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 03:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "so why's the magazine allowed to run amuck & foster xenophobia"
In response to Reply # 16

>My sense is that as a country, it perceives society as
>susceptible to certain forms of speech, and that perception of
>vulnerability has woven itself into the political culture, so
>the laws in place are intended to stop it before it grows.
>

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Jan-16-15 10:44 PM

22. "I'm glad you used the term "allowed to" - b/c that's what's at issue"
In response to Reply # 21

In your estimation, who should be the arbiter of what is and isn't allowed
when it comes to a free press and artistic community?

What are the principles and legal theories that should predominate?

but people who say that Charlie Abdo is xenophobic usually don't realize
that many of the artists at Abdo are leftist liberals who mock and lampoon
the far right (namely the Le Pen hard line nationalist) contingent with similar
visceral burn. They don't pull punches for any group.

That said - I do like the discussion many are having about what value
"punching down" has in a progressive society. That is, even though many
are valiantly running to defend freedom of expression and the right of a free press -
what also needs to be at discussion is how we can devalue hateful speech/art
that is intended to insult/harm. But the answer is not to ban and restrict
artistic expression. It's to develop a more empathetic and synergetic culture -
openly and honestly.

-->

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 10:40 AM

13. "i think the line is pretty friggin clear..."
In response to Reply # 0

go ahead and act oblivious though...

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 11:13 AM

15. "Selective liberty of expression"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't piss off the massas.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Benji
Member since Jun 11th 2014
140 posts
Thu Jan-15-15 12:56 PM

18. "a nerds reply:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://io9.com/lokis-wager-is-why-you-cant-win-arguments-on-the-inter-1679484756/+tinaamini

Lobby General Discussion topic #12699273 Previous topic | Next topic