Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12696748

Subject: "Boston 2024: Worst Idea Ever" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Boston 2024: Worst Idea Ever"

I can only hope the USOC doesn't want the US to host the 2024 Olympics and they're throwing the competition.

It's hard to think of a worse city to host the games. It's cramped, congested, difficult to navigate, has relatively poor mass transit. You don't need a car to live in Boston, but if there's ANY event going on, forget about it. Green Line? Nightmare. It can't even handle Sox games.

Then there's the lack of facilities. With the exception of the Southie Waterfront, where are you going to build anything? Fenway, while charming, is a piece of shit. Foxboro is 45 min to 1 hour away in ZERO traffic. A Pats game or concert can make the Boston to Foxboro trip 2 hours, easily.

And do we trust Boston to expand its infrastructure after the Big Dig took 86 years and went 6.3 trillion over budget?

You think the rest of the world hates America now? Wait until they experience that good ol Masshole hospitality...and Bostonians are the worst of the Massholes. You will not find a ruder city in America, and NONE OF THEM EVEN WANT THE GAMES. Imagine what assoles they're gonna be if they have something to be resentful about.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ikr??
Jan 13th 2015
I was all in on Chicago's bid
Jan 13th 2015
      i was on the fence mostly and leaned toward 'no'.
Jan 13th 2015
           just come look @ the south side of Atlanta.
Jan 13th 2015
                ^ yup. i've seen all of that.
Jan 13th 2015
                It always makes me SMH when I see the lamp posts with the olympic logo
Jan 13th 2015
                so many missed opportunities in 1996
Jan 13th 2015
                     free?
Jan 13th 2015
I love Boston, but yeah man that seems like a horrible idea.
Jan 13th 2015
Lol @ massholes
Jan 13th 2015
wow, I'm not sure if I've ever seen this before...
Jan 13th 2015
      It's powerful right? All I can think of when I hear Boston
Jan 13th 2015
No thanks, we don't want it. And the Southie Waterfront is full
Jan 13th 2015
Slight post-jack: where should the olympics go then?
Jan 13th 2015
Of US cities I've been to, I'd say
Jan 13th 2015
i just thank the lord and heavenly father LA lost
Jan 13th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ikr??"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-13-15 09:18 AM by SoWhat

and they claim they're going to borrow some elements of Chicago's losing bid.

i hope they're trolling the IOC.

fuck you.

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I was all in on Chicago's bid"
In response to Reply # 1

but it's probably best they lost. I can't help but wonder what impact those games would have had on the south side

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i was on the fence mostly and leaned toward 'no'."
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Jan-13-15 09:24 AM by SoWhat

so i was glad the IOC dissed the bid.

ultimately i think the Games would've been more destructive to the South Side than beneficial. i think the SS could've ended up w/newer deserted bldgs than the ones it has now. i don't think the Games would've revitalized the SS necessarily - and if it had that would've been at the expense of the mostly Black ppl who live there now.

but infrastructural improvements would've been made that would benefit the SS and the whole city and some of the Chicagoland area in general and they're the main reason i somewhat supported the idea of the Games coming here next yr.

fuck you.

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "just come look @ the south side of Atlanta. "
In response to Reply # 4

granted, it's been almost 20yrs, but there was no lasting positive impact from hosting the games, IMO.

Morehouse got a new arena, CAU and MB got new stadiums one of which (the nicest one too) is a giant rotting monument to the games since MB shut down.

Them roads was smooth as hell for the first year or two after tho. Today...not so much.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:30 AM

8. "^ yup. i've seen all of that."
In response to Reply # 7

fuck you.

placee_22
12956 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "It always makes me SMH when I see the lamp posts with the olympic logo"
In response to Reply # 8

stamped on them when I'm in west end or near the AUC.

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:49 AM

12. "so many missed opportunities in 1996"
In response to Reply # 7

that was as good of time as any to invest in better transit in-town. instead we began the process of tearing down public housing. but hey, at least our olympics were free.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 02:45 PM

16. "free?"
In response to Reply # 12

placee_22
12956 posts

3. "I love Boston, but yeah man that seems like a horrible idea."
In response to Reply # 0

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts

5. "Lol @ massholes"
In response to Reply # 0

If your city is the location of a Pulitzer Prize winning photo of an angry mob trying to impale a black man with an American Flag (and pole) then maybe the Olympics aren't for you?

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 10:04 AM

13. "wow, I'm not sure if I've ever seen this before..."
In response to Reply # 5

>If your city is the location of a Pulitzer Prize winning
>photo of an angry mob trying to impale a black man with an
>American Flag (and pole) then maybe the Olympics aren't for
>you?

http://www.stanleyformanphotos.com/photos4/image16.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soiling_of_Old_Glory

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 11:36 AM

14. "It's powerful right? All I can think of when I hear Boston"
In response to Reply # 13

or America to a lesser extent.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

EmDub
Member since Oct 14th 2003
6620 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:25 AM

6. "No thanks, we don't want it. And the Southie Waterfront is full"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know if you have been there in a while, but they built it full up.

Talking about putting the stadium in Southie but over by the expressway near the South End.

Horrible idea all around.

placee_22
12956 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:32 AM

9. "Slight post-jack: where should the olympics go then?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think a western city would be ideal. They complained that Atlanta was too hot, so the other obvious choices in the south would be miserable in the summer (Houston, Dallas, any Florida city).

The midwest is just as bad if not worse in the summer, so my sentimental pick- St. Louis- would be a bad choice.

That leaves Denver, Seattle, or any California city not named Los Angeles (unless they'd give them a 3rd bid).

I'm guessing by 2024 any of those cities would be ready to build a new stadium that they could use for football afterward. Again, except for LA which is about to build a new stadium in the next 2-3 yrs.

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:37 AM

11. "Of US cities I've been to, I'd say"
In response to Reply # 9

LA, Chicago or NYC. I haven't visited Seattle, but from what I know about it, maybe they could handle the Games.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 12:01 PM

15. "i just thank the lord and heavenly father LA lost"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12696748 Previous topic | Next topic