Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12696390

Subject: "Giving Two Weeks Notice" Previous topic | Next topic
SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Giving Two Weeks Notice"

I've made mention of it in a couple posts, but basically my organization's been going to shit over the last 3 months after we hired a new executive director. she's manipulative, rude, shady, stubborn, ignorant to our program, & in general just a crazy bitch.

I got a new contract on the 1st with a solid raise, so I was planning on rocking through the summer to at least see my current group of students (I train/manage university students around the world in a global education program) through the program, then dipping.

Well, after a bunch of behind the scenes drama while I was back in CA for vacation around the holidays, I get back to the office last week & two things happen; our founder & former ED resigned from our board of directors with a resignation letter that basically shed light on all the unethical stuff the new ED's had going down, AND my coworker (who's been with the org for its entire 10 years) gets terminated without being given a reason & is then, with me literally sitting at the same table, treated so callously that another staff member that was playing mediator between the coworker & the ED was looking at me like "I don't even know what to say."

The ED loves me & at this point knows that if I leave it's going to send a big red flag to our only donor which could result in them pulling funding immediately, so she's been kissing ass all week. I'm currently applying for a couple other positions, all of which have mentioned they'd need the hired person to start immediately.

I've never had to quit a job before so I'm not sure what the proper protocol is - is there any actual benefit to giving my two weeks notice or is that more a formality? I don't plan on using this woman as a reference

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they might ask you to tighten-up all your loose ends.
Jan 12th 2015
RE: they might ask you to tighten-up all your loose ends.
Jan 12th 2015
its a complete business courtesy.
Jan 12th 2015
RE: its a complete business courtesy.
Jan 14th 2015

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they might ask you to tighten-up all your loose ends."
In response to Reply # 0

that may or may not be a challenge for you.

SsenepoD
4331 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 04:37 PM

2. "RE: they might ask you to tighten-up all your loose ends."
In response to Reply # 1

Yea, I'm not trying to deal with this woman more than I have to at this point, so I'm thinking if I do just turn in my resignation effective immediately, I'll write up a memo outlining any remaining work/knowledge transfers they'd need from me.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 08:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "its a complete business courtesy."
In response to Reply # 0

if the gig has gotten that bad, leave asap. 2 weeks notice is nice and all so they can potentially get another person that you may train for a short period.

the benefits are for them. not necessarily for you.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

SsenepoD
4331 posts
Wed Jan-14-15 02:07 AM

4. "RE: its a complete business courtesy."
In response to Reply # 3

cool. I've noticed that the answer I've gotten has been pretty split along an age line, with folks > 40 saying it has to be done & < 30 saying it doesnt, & in between saying it's situational.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12696390 Previous topic | Next topic