Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12696177

Subject: "the germaphobe post" Previous topic | Next topic
BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"the germaphobe post"

how much of a germaphobe are you? and what are you sensitive about?

this post is inspired by a coworker who, in a restaurant one day, asked the waitress for a cup of how water and paper napkins. the hot water was used to wipe down her utensils and the paper napkins were used as napkins because she ain't want no parts of the cloth napkins.

today that same person wanted to show me pictures on her phone. she goes to hand it to me and i'm like "nah, you hold the phone up and scroll and i'll just look at the pictures.

i'm not much of a germaphobe but i do have a thing about other people's cell phones. i'd rather not touch them...

how much of a germaphobe are you? and what are you sensitive about?

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It just hit me recently
Jan 12th 2015
Droppin' 2s in public bathrooms
Jan 12th 2015
i squat when using public bathrooms.
Jan 12th 2015
women squat... well, the clean ones do.
Jan 12th 2015
I dont think that is germaphobia, that is just common sense
Jan 13th 2015
i could talk about this all day...
Jan 12th 2015
Many people talk on their phones while taking a dump
Jan 12th 2015
after 3 years in a small town where everything was walkable
Jan 12th 2015
anyone in here ever caught anything worse than a cold from public?
Jan 12th 2015
That shit is a pet peeve of mine, I mean being a germaphobe
Jan 12th 2015
I get what you're saying
Jan 12th 2015
      Damn, I thought I was just ranting
Jan 12th 2015
           RE: Damn, I thought I was just ranting
Jan 13th 2015
Well thanks to my contamination OCD
Jan 12th 2015
Shit man. Hope the treatment works out.
Jan 12th 2015
RE: Shit man. Hope the treatment works out.
Jan 13th 2015
Wow bro. Strength and best of luck breaking free from it.
Jan 12th 2015
thanks for sharing this...wishing you all the best and continued..
Jan 13th 2015
hang in there man...
Jan 13th 2015
Thank you for your openness. Best of luck n/m
Jan 13th 2015
Thank you all for your kind words
Jan 13th 2015
Germs are essential to proper health.
Jan 13th 2015

Nvncible1
Member since Jun 17th 2011
1900 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 01:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It just hit me recently"
In response to Reply # 0

how gross phones are.

mainly because how gross mine is...theres a lot of....stuff on it...so i can only imagine how gross other peoples phones are.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 01:12 PM

2. "Droppin' 2s in public bathrooms"
In response to Reply # 0

is my only issue

it's almost a life or death situation

I really don't know how women can do it

I refuse to put my ass anywhere near a public toilet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

earthseed
Member since Feb 26th 2004
26989 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 01:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "i squat when using public bathrooms. "
In response to Reply # 2

now go runtelldat, ho.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 06:06 PM

7. "women squat... well, the clean ones do."
In response to Reply # 2

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:19 AM

17. "I dont think that is germaphobia, that is just common sense"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't get how people just transform into animals because they are in a public space. Ain't no way you'd be shitting on the goddamn wall in your house, motherfucker.

There is also the issue of not being on your home turf in terms of TP and soap. I hate the single-ply tissue and I hate that invariably nasty ass smelling soap in the dispenser.

Then you got the issue of the condition of the seat, which in a men's room is always dicey for sure. What do you do? Seat protector? Makeshift one made out of aforementioned carbon-paper-thin TP?

I mean I don't think wanting to avoid contact with someone else's shit/piss/herpes puss is "germaphobia." That shit is REAL.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

earthseed
Member since Feb 26th 2004
26989 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 01:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "i could talk about this all day..."
In response to Reply # 0

but, i'll only put a couple in here.

i don't like other people's bath towels/accoutrement to touch mine.
i have a fear that their germs/dead skin etc will jump onto my towel.
plus having your somewhat wet towel on mine is just gross.

i have my own towel that i use to wipe my hands off with - cause again - germs

when flushing the toilet, the top MUST be closed to avoid having the spray of that water to get on and co-mingle with my air etc, lol.

yes, i'm weird

now go runtelldat, ho.

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 02:03 PM

5. "Many people talk on their phones while taking a dump"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-12-15 02:03 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

Smart move.

blackrussian
Member since Oct 17th 2010
6498 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 05:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "after 3 years in a small town where everything was walkable"
In response to Reply # 0

i've become disgusted by public transport. not only having to touch the same dirty poles as everyone else, but all that disgusting germy air you have to share in an enclosed space. plus i feel like i always get stuck next to the vilest, phlegmiest coughing people.

also this may be more to do with age, but when i see girls (and it's mostly teens-early 20s) wearing short dresses & booty shorts in public, i just think: there's only a tiny piece of flimsy fabric between your vag & whatever disgusting surface you're sitting on, whether train seat, park bench, or any floor (if they're white). the horror!

(of course this has *nothing* to do with me no longer being able to wear such items lol)

now or never
Member since Oct 27th 2004
3821 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 07:04 PM

8. "anyone in here ever caught anything worse than a cold from public?"
In response to Reply # 0

not to poke fun, just curious about the justification for phobia.
like you or somebody you know got an infection from a toilet seat
or you ate off someone else and got food poisoning or stomach flu
or anything you or someone you know picked up that you could pinpoint to a moment you did something reckless other than not washing your hands?
or is it just straight up uncomfortable phobia at the idea of germ threat?

-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 07:14 PM

9. "That shit is a pet peeve of mine, I mean being a germaphobe"
In response to Reply # 0

The worst are these people that use hand sanitizer compulsively. First, it's not a real substitute for washing your hands. Two, if you did wash your hands as often as you apply that shit, you'd be diagnosed with OCD. Anyone who applies hand sanitizer more than twice a day can fuck off. I have never used it where I wasn't required to for some odd reason.

In general people who are real hung up on germs freak me out. How do these people have let alone enjoy sex?

I know a guy who works covering the NHL for a national pub and he was super freaked out about the recent mumps outbreak. He went and got vaccinated! Yes, several players had it, but are you going to be kissing them on the mouth? I know that is not the only way to transmit, but you need about that level of contact.

The only thing I am a little germaphobe-y about it money in general and definitely COINS. I never put coins in the same pocket that I have like candy or pills, even if they are in a wrapper or something. Coins are fucking filthy. I have a little shelf where I put my change and I never put my glasses on it. Today my girlfriend put hers on there and I slyly slid them away from the coins. She went to look for them like someone who lost their car in a mall parking lot.

Friscos Finest
Member since Apr 20th 2005
2887 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 07:44 PM

11. "I get what you're saying"
In response to Reply # 9

But my OCD is completely out of my hands. ANYTHING that says "antibacterial" can trigger mental relief through ritual for me, which is why I go through 40-50 bottles of purell a month.

Sex? forget about it. I used to fuck like a champ, but ever since my OCD has gotten bad, Jennifer Lopez can offer me endless sex and there's no way I could do it. I'm straight as an arrow and find women very attractive...as long as they don't touch me.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 08:05 PM

13. "Damn, I thought I was just ranting"
In response to Reply # 11

>But my OCD is completely out of my hands. ANYTHING that says
>"antibacterial" can trigger mental relief through ritual for
>me, which is why I go through 40-50 bottles of purell a
>month.

So it IS an OCD thing. I had a roommate with OCD but he confronted it early and got it under control. He was like 20-21 and now he's chilled out considerably. Maybe too much lol.

>Sex? forget about it. I used to fuck like a champ, but ever
>since my OCD has gotten bad, Jennifer Lopez can offer me
>endless sex and there's no way I could do it. I'm straight as
>an arrow and find women very attractive...as long as they
>don't touch me.

Wow, so what was like the big event that onset your OCD? What age were you when this happened? This, of course, assuming you are willing to share.

Like my cousin was 13 or 14 and he was a total germophobe and I told him, "Dude, girls like you. You will get over this shit soon." He didn't understand then by now five years on, he does. But your situation is kind of the opposite. I'm sorry to hear that, man.

Friscos Finest
2887 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 10:09 AM

18. "RE: Damn, I thought I was just ranting"
In response to Reply # 13

I really wish I could point to a life event that brought this on, but it has been more of a slow, agonizing spiral that has progressed over the last couple years.

I don't even realize when I've taken on new rituals, they kinda just happen on their own.

It's been tough, but actually writing it down and getting it out, even in a medium such as this is actually healthy. It helps me reaffirm that my thoughts/rituals are not normal.

I, thankfully, am not in denial. I am fully aware that everything I do is batshit crazy. This is actually what's going to help me get better.

Friscos Finest
2887 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 07:37 PM

10. "Well thanks to my contamination OCD"
In response to Reply # 0

It's all I can think of, really.

I go through a 3-pack of Dove bodywash from Costco each week (I'm a guy, but it's the only bodywash that doesn't rip my skin off with how long/hard I scrub my body)

I wash my hands for 10-15 minutes after using the bathroom. I can dry my hands ONLY with Kleenex hand towels. My hands look like burnt alligator skin. Not to mention the bottle of Purell I use each day.

I sometimes go through periods of severe dehydration because mentally, it's better than drinking water and having to use a public restroom.

If I don't take my morning deuce (and subsequent 1-hour shower) I call in sick to work. I am probably the most regular person in California, just out of sheer necessity.

No shaking hands, no hugging. I've offended many people, including the CEO of my company (Larry Ellison), because of this.

I am extremely attracted to women, but no way I could mentally handle sexual interaction of any kind.

I almost missed my brother's wedding because my uncle used my bathroom and didn't wash his hands (he then touched many things in my home, which lead to a mental breakdown and tons of rituals)

There are only 3 restaurants in the Bay Area I am okay eating at.

There's much more.

I know I have a disease. I know the things I do make no sense. I was a completely normal adult until I turned 26, 2 years ago.

Weed helps a little, but I know I need intensive ERP therapy. I am checking into an in-patient specialty facility @ UC Berkeley this summer. Fingers crossed.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 08:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Shit man. Hope the treatment works out. "
In response to Reply # 10

If you don't mind me asking, is there something specific that triggered it two years ago?

>
>I know I have a disease. I know the things I do make no sense.
>I was a completely normal adult until I turned 26, 2 years
>ago.
>

Friscos Finest
2887 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 10:12 AM

19. "RE: Shit man. Hope the treatment works out. "
In response to Reply # 12

Thanks!

Really nothing specific that triggered it. Its been a slow, frustrating, downward spiral.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 08:25 PM

14. "Wow bro. Strength and best of luck breaking free from it."

>I go through a 3-pack of Dove bodywash from Costco each week
>(I'm a guy, but it's the only bodywash that doesn't rip my
>skin off with how long/hard I scrub my body)

If you read that label that would be over 200 showers worth of soap. That is probably an overestimate on their part, but not by much.

All the other stuff pretty well speaks for itself and I hope you can overcome it. You sound like a dude who really has his shit together outside of these compulsive rituals.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 07:28 AM

15. "thanks for sharing this...wishing you all the best and continued.."

..strength

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 09:02 AM

16. "hang in there man..."

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 10:17 AM

21. "Thank you for your openness. Best of luck n/m"

http://prettyperiod.me/

http://whenwomenrefuse.tumblr.com/

Friscos Finest
2887 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 10:26 AM

22. "Thank you all for your kind words"

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Tue Jan-13-15 10:16 AM

20. "Germs are essential to proper health."
In response to Reply # 0

If you spend your life shielding yourself from them at every opportunity, your immune system will not be equipped to deal with them. There is a healthy level of dirt/germs that we need.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12696177 Previous topic | Next topic