Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12695053

Subject: "What percentage of black folk don't respect themselves?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat Jan-10-15 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: What percentage of black folk don't respect themselves?"

there are of course two ways to take 'respect ourselves'. there's the individual respecting themselves as an individual, and the individual respecting the broader community.

now most often when this respectability game is played its about the latter - individuals having respect for the broader black community. selling drugs in your own hood as a sign of having no respect for that community. but the assumption there is that the individual considers their community as a reflection of their broader social values. in that example most view their community as a trap in which they are trying to escape using drugs as a possible escape plan. in which case they probably don't respect the community. but not for the values people are putting on it, but rather for the trap that itrepresents in their lives. so in that case is their lack of respect extend beyond their trap to the broader black community? if their ambitions are to escape the trap to become a contributing member to the broader black community, is their disrespect of the trap a sign of disrespect to the community too.

of course i'm reaching, but it's saturday and i'm not that far off from something am i?

Poll result (16 votes)
0-9% (3 votes)Vote
10-24% (1 votes)Vote
25-49% (4 votes)Vote
50-75% (5 votes)Vote
I'm white and mad that you didn't continue with the percentage breakdown... (3 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
its not a community
Jan 11th 2015
forced? beyond their control?
Jan 11th 2015
RE: forced? beyond their control?
Jan 11th 2015
      socially engineered
Jan 11th 2015
We really gotta stop with this shit
Jan 11th 2015
those are called ghettos
Jan 11th 2015
people are really fucking delusional
Jan 11th 2015
63.72%
Jan 11th 2015
For what it's worth
Jan 11th 2015
And now it occurs to me
Jan 11th 2015
      that's not one to one though
Jan 11th 2015
red. scores of black folk have gone to glory solely over ''respect''.
Jan 11th 2015
every Black person in America could wake up tomorrow and be
Jan 11th 2015
      RE: every Black person in America could wake up tomorrow and be
Jan 11th 2015
Too many
Jan 11th 2015
ha!
Jan 11th 2015
8. (c) squeeg
Jan 11th 2015
Lotta white people don't respect themselves tho.
Jan 11th 2015
hmmmmm...
Jan 11th 2015
Took this long for the "But but white people do it too" to show up
Jan 11th 2015
capitalism ain't that effective when you're satisfied
Jan 11th 2015
85 percent
Jan 11th 2015
the only civilized response n/m
Jan 11th 2015
i'm so good to you because...
Jan 11th 2015
How are we defining self respect?
Jan 12th 2015

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "its not a community"
In response to Reply # 0

just a collection of people forced to live in a particular area due to
forces beyond their control

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:20 PM

7. "forced? beyond their control?"
In response to Reply # 1

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 02:51 PM

16. "RE: forced? beyond their control?"
In response to Reply # 7

redlining? economic zoning? internal economic migration?

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 03:41 PM

21. "socially engineered"
In response to Reply # 16

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:22 PM

8. "We really gotta stop with this shit"
In response to Reply # 1

>just a collection of people forced to live in a particular
>area due to
>forces beyond their control

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 01:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "those are called ghettos"
In response to Reply # 1

and yes I see few Black communities in major cities especially post Crack.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

sixteenstone
Member since Sep 22nd 2002
27996 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 10:45 AM

2. "people are really fucking delusional "
In response to Reply # 0

it's damn near 40 million of us. Even if you take Chicago for example, 500 murders per year for the whole city.
Let even say 400 are black on black crime. Now this is supposed to be the worst and most problematic of black murders.
Let's say another 30,000 regular ass crimes are committed a year by blacks. Multiply that by 100 cities in America. By 200, by 300 even.
You not touching the surface on a collective 40 million people. The problem is that the media wants everyone to believe a narrative.

And black people have fell for the okey doke too. That small percentage of people wrong doing is representative of us all.
Fuck outta here with this respect shit. If you Black think about every single person you know. Ask yourself how many actually lack "respect."
Furthermore, none of the problems we face are exclusive to our race. It's exclusive to certain environments which unfortunately a large number of us face.
But the bulk of us 40 million are just regular ass people, with jobs, with children, living our fucking lives, and non violent. White people just have better PR.

Remember Novemthree's Courage...
visit on the web:www.16stonevintage.com
like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/16stonevintage
follow on instagram: http://instagram.com/sixteenstone http://instagram.com/vintageblkmags/

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 10:53 AM

3. "63.72%"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "For what it's worth"
In response to Reply # 0

A few thoughts that are maybe just stating the obvious on the defensive posture of discourse on "community deficiencies" that being black seems to necessitate:

As a white man, if I think about "our issues" I'm often thinking about issues that I really don't consider specific to whites; their universality is a given to me and I may just not have experienced them among non whites due to lack of knowledge on my part, or the current social structure not allowing them to be embodied by other races. The fact for example that there is white privilege and certain behaviors accompanying it doesn't mean that demonstrations of privilege by a similar dominant class of non whites would be radically different. They might be different in surface ways to do with culture, etc. but for a dominant class to take privileges is human nature in my view.

The same is true for an underclass. The issues of the black community aren't issues that would be intrinsic to black people in absolutely any circumstances. This is obvious unless you are a racist. You transplant people with white skin into the same circumstance you have the same outcome.

However, there are certain circumstances of the black predicament that reflect the operation of bad universal human impulses, in this case within black people, which are due to black circumstance more harmful in their outcomes. Think about the universal human trait of adolescent irresponsibility. A white adolescent person experiencing the same negative moment will have a better outcome. This is among other things what it means to be privileged.

When it comes to public discourse about our mistakes, I see the defensive posture of statements like, "don't make proper corrective prescriptions to billboard" as perfectly understandable (though possibly not optimal). If a white person laments some trait of young people in general, there is nobody to exploit this info; therefore the message if accurate is entirely constructive.

This is a really tough problem to solve; it's not easy.

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:15 PM

5. "And now it occurs to me"
In response to Reply # 4

Why can't black would be constructive prescribers like Kendrick speak to all youth? Surely there are whites experiencing whatever deficiencies he's describing. If Kendrick said, "kids these days don't respect themselves," would this make sense? If not, it's not because of vast differences between young people. Hmm

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 01:14 PM

14. "that's not one to one though"
In response to Reply # 5

>Why can't black would be constructive prescribers like
>Kendrick speak to all youth? Surely there are whites
>experiencing whatever deficiencies he's describing. If
>Kendrick said, "kids these days don't respect themselves,"
>would this make sense?

His statement is how can we expect them to respect us when we don't respect ourselves. Doesn't really translate to a kids these days comment IMO, because it's loaded with all of the history in it. It's interesting that it's played as us respecting ourselves, when it's really about their respect for us, which is contingent on their value base, which *must* become our value base in order for their respect to be warranted.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:17 PM

6. "red. scores of black folk have gone to glory solely over ''respect''."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-11-15 12:33 PM by 2.tears.in.a.bucket

its a mind-fuck. they try dangle that shit over our heads like its a prize we can't have until they award it to us.

at the heart of this is the society's downright refusal to admit and atone for what EVERYONE already knows:

our fuck-ups are largely due to the fact that we have been - and continue to be - molested by this country.

i'm convinced yt folk would nuke this whole fucking planet before truly trying to atone for its culpability in the plight of blk folk.

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

sixteenstone
Member since Sep 22nd 2002
27996 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:41 PM

11. "every Black person in America could wake up tomorrow and be"
In response to Reply # 6

outstanding citizens. We could follow the law, wear suits, and long dresses and they would still hate us.

Look at the 1960's, they still showed no respect and killed the shit out of us.
Once the laws changed, they just figured out how to get some of us to kill each other.
You talking about 500 years of a certain attitude towards a group of people. It's not going to change in our lifetime.

Remember Novemthree's Courage...
visit on the web:www.16stonevintage.com
like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/16stonevintage
follow on instagram: http://instagram.com/sixteenstone http://instagram.com/vintageblkmags/

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:49 PM

13. "RE: every Black person in America could wake up tomorrow and be"
In response to Reply # 11

>You talking about 500 years of a certain attitude towards a
>group of people. It's not going to change in our lifetime.

yeah thats what scares the fuck outta me. it'll rob you of hope if you let it. and life ain't shit w/o hopefulness.

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:32 PM

9. "Too many"
In response to Reply # 0

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:34 PM

10. "ha!"
In response to Reply # 0

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:43 PM

12. "8. (c) squeeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 03:27 PM

17. "Lotta white people don't respect themselves tho."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-11-15 03:33 PM by Madvillain 626

regardless of class or education. *kanye shrug*

Matter of fact I would argue that engineering insecurity in people is one of the tenets of Western capitalism.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 03:35 PM

18. "hmmmmm..."
In response to Reply # 17

>Matter of fact I would argue that engineering insecurity in
>people is one of the tenets of Western capitalism.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

ScooterBug
Member since Oct 17th 2003
2057 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 04:55 PM

22. "Took this long for the "But but white people do it too" to show up"

knew it was coming.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 08:06 PM

24. "capitalism ain't that effective when you're satisfied"

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 03:35 PM

19. "85 percent"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 03:37 PM

20. "the only civilized response n/m"
In response to Reply # 19

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 07:10 PM

23. "i'm so good to you because..."
In response to Reply # 0

i couldn't possibly be any better to myself.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 09:04 AM

25. "How are we defining self respect?"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Lobby General Discussion topic #12695053 Previous topic | Next topic