Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12693352

Subject: "We gaining on em...(swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"We gaining on em...(swipe)"

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-restaurant-just-banned-tips-2015-1

A Pittsburgh restaurant just banished tips and in return, started paying employees a $35,000 salary with benefits.

The restaurant, called Bar Marco, is also giving its workers health care, 500 shares in the company, and paid vacation.

"America needs to realize that working in the restaurant industry is an occupation," Bar Marco co-owner Robert Fry told Eater.

All 20 of Bar Marco's employees have signed the new contracts, which state that they will work a maximum of 40 to 44 hours per week and get two days and one night off a week. Employees will also get 10 paid vacation days per year.

"This is truly touching and incredible," employee Csilla Marie Thackray wrote on the company's Facebook page. "So proud to be a part of such a phenomenal and supportive company."

Full-time salaries are rare in the restaurant industry and the minimum wage for tipped workers is meager. In Pennsylvania, the tipped minimum wage is is $2.83.

The restaurant has been inundated with resumes from prospective workers since announcing the changes.

"All of our current employees have seen and approved the contract," Fry told Pittsburgh Next. "They will have a lot of responsibilities, too — like being present at bi-monthly finance meetings. We want complete transparency. We want people who want to be part of what we are doing and who want to grow with us."

Fry worked with long-time employees to craft the new compensation plan, according to Eater.

If Bar Marco employees still receive tips despite the ban, the money will be donated to a program that the restaurant runs that teaches kids to cook.

Miss me with this restaurants can't afford to pay their employees a liveable wage without shutting down...

This is great progress for them.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*Citizen Kane clapping gif*
Jan 08th 2015
Wow. I imagine that's HUGE for lots of their employees. Dope.
Jan 08th 2015
Customer Service will be ridiculously good there.
Jan 08th 2015
ridiculous meaning good or bad?
Jan 08th 2015
      fixed it.
Jan 08th 2015
           word, i thought that's what you meant
Jan 08th 2015
a living wage for honest work. good show.
Jan 08th 2015
I'd go out of my way to go to a restaurant like that in the city.
Jan 08th 2015
I read in another article where their revenue increased 40 % which they
Jan 08th 2015
found it (link).
Jan 08th 2015
Finally! Hope it catches like wildfire.
Jan 08th 2015
... still doesn't justify stiffing wait staff on tips
Jan 08th 2015

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "*Citizen Kane clapping gif*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Wow. I imagine that's HUGE for lots of their employees. Dope."
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:32 AM

3. "Customer Service will be ridiculously good there. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-08-15 11:45 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "ridiculous meaning good or bad?"
In response to Reply # 3

i still blame hip-hop.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:45 AM

6. "fixed it."
In response to Reply # 4

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "word, i thought that's what you meant"
In response to Reply # 6

i'd tend to agree. would be interesting to hear comments from someone who frequented the restaurant before and after.

i still blame hip-hop.

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:40 AM

5. "a living wage for honest work. good show."
In response to Reply # 0

i still blame hip-hop.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:46 AM

7. "I'd go out of my way to go to a restaurant like that in the city. "
In response to Reply # 0

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:57 AM

8. "I read in another article where their revenue increased 40 % which they "
In response to Reply # 0

attributed to the employees...

let me go find that article.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 11:58 AM

9. "found it (link). "
In response to Reply # 8

http://www.4-traders.com/news/Strip-District-restaurant-Bar-Marco-makes-change-in-tip-policy--19626709/

Strip District restaurant Bar Marco makes change in tip policy

01/07/2015 | 06:12am US/Eastern
Jan. 07--Bar Marco has a tip for its patrons: Don't worry about the gratuity.

The team at the Strip District eatery plans to eliminate tipping and, instead, pay full-time employees a salary along with health care and shares beginning no later than April.

"It makes our full-time team have consistent control of their finances, gives them a consistent schedule, allows them to hire and fire their assistants and gives them a share in the upside of the business, as well," says co-owner Bobby Fry.

Full-time Bar Marco servers and bartenders are currently paid $5 an hour in addition to their tips, which is higher than the $2.83 state-required minimum wage for tipped employees.

The change will affect 16 employees at Bar Marco. Fry says there are plans to implement a similar pay structure at Bar Marco's sister establishment, The Livermore in East Liberty, later this year.

Alec El of Penn Hills has worked in the food-service industry for seven years, the past 16 months as a bartender at Bar Marco. The recent college graduate says he was starting to think seriously about securing his own health benefits when Fry told him about the new payment plan.

The change likely will provide workers incentive to remain in their jobs longer, despite the notoriously transient nature of the restaurant industry, El says.

"Now, we don't have to worry about if it's slow," he says. "It all works out."

El, whose salary will be $35,000 a year, plus benefits and shares, expects his regular customers to be comfortable with the change and anticipates other restaurants will follow suit.

"If it's successful and you can keep good people, other people will pick it up, especially smaller restaurants," he says.

Plans for the switch started forming a year ago, when Fry and his partners, Kevin Cox and Justin Steel, explored ways to secure health care for themselves and their team. Their research led them to look into several restaurants that no longer accept gratuity in order to establish more regular pay models.

"The light bulb went off," Fry says. "If we were going to offer health care, why not offer a complete employment contract and do away with gratuity all together?"

Bar Marco, which recently celebrated its third anniversary, saw a 40 percent increase in revenue last year, growth Fry attributes to the employees.

"They deserve to be recognized as the professionals they are and have opportunities to turn what they love into a respectable career with upside potential," he says.

The change will not require an increase in menu prices, Fry says. Instead, staff is changing the format for the restaurant's popular Wine Room, an intimate, 10-seat space located in the wine cellar where staff prepares an exclusive menu for diners. Fry and his team are making it "a bit less cumbersome to book seats," by no longer limiting seatings to two per night, he says.

"You'll simply be able to make reservations to dine in the Wine Room, which not only allows more flexibility for seating times, but allows us to host 10 more diners every night without losing the special vibe," he says.

While nontipped business models are gaining attention across the country, "the vast majority of consumers take a positive view of the practice and custom of tipping for service," says Christin Fernandez, National Restaurant Association spokeswoman.

"Tipping promotes the spirit of hospitality our industry is known for," she says. "Along with flexible work schedules, the opportunity to see the direct result of good service and hard work is what makes a restaurant server an attractive profession and makes the restaurant industry an industry of choice for millions of Americans."

"Every restaurant that has done away with gratuity nationally has done it with a different model," Fry says. "This is the one that works for us."

Rachel Weaver is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7948 or rweaver@tribweb.com.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 12:51 PM

10. "Finally! Hope it catches like wildfire."
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 01:08 PM

12. "... still doesn't justify stiffing wait staff on tips"
In response to Reply # 0

*lights kindling*

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Lobby General Discussion topic #12693352 Previous topic | Next topic