Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12692294

Subject: "Cool C scheduled to be executed on Thursday..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cool C scheduled to be executed on Thursday..."

Rapper Cool C Slated for Execution on Thursday http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2015/01/rapper_cool_c_slated_for_execution_on_thursday.php

Rapper Cool C Slated for Execution on Thursday
By Chaz Kangas Wed., Jan. 7 2015 at 6:19 AM 137 Comments
Categories: The Oldness of Rap

coolc560.jpg
YouTube screen capture
Cool C
Tomorrow, Thursday, January 8, Philadelphia golden-age rapper Cool C — real name Christopher Roney — is set to be executed by lethal injection, the result of his 1996 conviction on charges of first-degree murder for the shooting death of Police Officer Lauretha Vaird. The shooting occurred in January of that year, when Roney, then 26, and two other men attempted to rob a Philadelphia PNC Bank branch. Roney shot Vaird, a 43-year-old mother of two, as soon as she stepped through the bank's entrance, making her the first officer killed responding to a call in the city's history.

Cool C, considered a pioneer of the Philadelphia rap scene, emerged at a time when hip-hop was overwhelmingly, almost exclusively, found in New York. With the rap world at large focused on the five boroughs, the mid Eighties were a time when one of the quickest ways to achieve notoriety was to record a dis song targeted at the popular artists of the day.

Cool C did just that with his 1987 debut single, "Juice Crew Dis." Amid the infamous South Bronx vs. Queens feud, Cool C represented Philly's issue with Juice Crew member and Queens resident MC Shan having allegedly turned his back on the Philly scene that gave him his start. Cool C had a style similar to Shan's, which made his reworking of some of Shan's signature lines as disses toward him and Juice Crew members Roxanne Shante and Marley Marl stand out in one of rap's most battle-heavy climates.

Stepping up to Shan made Cool C a hometown hero and garnered the attention of increasingly prominent rap labels. The next year, City Beat, the label that also originally released Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock's "It Takes Two" and Ultramagnetic MC's "Traveling at the Speed of Thought," put out Cool C's next single, "C Is Cool." That and C's self-released follow-up, "Down to the Grissel," were successful enough to land C a deal with Atlantic Records. In 1989 Atlantic released C's debut album, I Gotta Habit, boasting his signature single "Glamorous Life," whose suave boasts and featured females (including a young Jill Scott) landed the video regular rotation in rap outlets.

After one more album, Life in the Ghetto, Cool C formed the group C.E.B. (Countin' Endless Bank) with fellow Philly natives and longtime associates Steady B and DJ Ultimate Eaze. Landing a deal with Ruffhouse Records, they released their self-titled debut in 1993.
1 | 2 | Next Page >>

grassrootsphilosopher

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when keeping it real goes way way wrong
Jan 07th 2015
RE: including a young Jill Scott
Jan 07th 2015
Sad but... you know... shit didn't have to be this way.
Jan 07th 2015
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_...
Jan 07th 2015

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "when keeping it real goes way way wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

but damn...

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:25 PM

2. "RE: including a young Jill Scott"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 02:25 PM by bentagain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC11wBeTy8c

IDK fam, still too close for me to call

has there been confirmation on that yet

anyway

RIP to the homie, EARLY

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:38 PM

3. "Sad but... you know... shit didn't have to be this way."
In response to Reply # 0

I love his old music, and I'm one of the very few people that actually bought his second album "Life In The Ghetto", as well as owned a copy of that C.E.B. single (which got destroyed...).

But... I'm not gonna be on no "Free Cool C" shits. They didn't have to rob a fuckin bank. Damned sure didn't have to kill that chick. Even if they robbed the bank and got caught, dude woulda been out by now.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:52 PM

4. "http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 02:55 PM by CyrenYoung

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12658806&mesg_id=12658806&listing_type=search

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

*STU*

Lobby General Discussion topic #12692294 Previous topic | Next topic