Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12691844

Subject: "ATL: y'all following this City of Atlanta/APS Beltline spat?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"ATL: y'all following this City of Atlanta/APS Beltline spat?"

Prologue: The City of Atlanta relies heavily on a process called tax increment financing to fund a number of large projects throughout the city. The Beltline TAD is one of the largest of these districts, in both size and scope. Essentially, we pay for improvements now using funds we assume we'll have in pocket once property values go up.

http://www.investatlanta.com/development/commercial-incentives/tax-allocation-districts/

Considering Fulton County, the City, and Atlanta Public Schools all split the property tax pot (23%, 30%, and 47% respectively, if you're curious). For their part, the City and the County agreed to freeze their revenues from the properties within the TAD at the 2005 assessment (anything on top of that would go to the Beltline) until 2030. APS agreed to participate only if they received a fix payment annually. Good right?

Then the recession hit, and property values didn't appreciate the way they were initially forecasted, and now the City owes APS roughly $14M. And so it all came to a head this summer because APS wants the money they're owed.

It got so bad that Mayor Reed and outgoing APS Superintendent Errol Davis faced off in the media. Reed even likened APS to hostage-takers.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/atlanta-public-schools-stands-behind-threat-sue-ci/ngRB5/

Flash forward a few months, and City Council President (and likely 2017 Mayoral candidate) Ceasar Mitchell posts an op-ed in the Saporta Report about the whole thing:

http://saportareport.com/blog/2015/01/atlanta-beltline-and-aps-should-unify-not-divide-our-city-on-behalf-of-its-children/

Yesterday, Mitchell, via Councilwoman Archibong (since the President can't introduce legislation) introduced an ordinance that would pay APS monies owed from the City reserves.

http://atlantaprogressivenews.com/2015/01/06/archibong-introduces-ordinance-to-pay-beltline-debt-to-aps/

Needless to say, Mayor Reed didn't like that.

http://wabe.org/post/atlanta-mayor-blasts-council-president-over-beltline-debt-proposal

And so here we are.

Some choice quotes:

"And then he writes this long soliloquy where he’s talking about why people haven’t been able to decide. Well I’ve got something for him. That’s why he’s not mayor,” said Reed. “You do know he ran for mayor, right?”

"Q: Is Kasim Reed acting like a bully...
A: Ceasar Mitchell: "What's the difference between acting like a bully & being one?"

2017 is going to be fun.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've kinda been paying attn on and off. It's hard to win when it's perce...
Jan 07th 2015
The issue isn't that clean cut
Jan 07th 2015
      what's unclear about the contract?
Jan 07th 2015
           RE: what's unclear about the contract?
Jan 07th 2015
                where did you read that at?
Jan 07th 2015
                     RE: where did you read that at?
Jan 07th 2015
                          where did you read that at?
Jan 07th 2015
I really wanted to like Reed years ago but he's a total arrogant a$$hole...
Jan 07th 2015
I just listened to the audio that JayDoz posted...Dude is a gigantic pri...
Jan 07th 2015
      i've never seen a public official thats always on the defensive as Reed
Jan 07th 2015
           one of my favorite Reed quotes...
Jan 07th 2015
                for all the bullsh*t Bill Campbell did in the 90's...i at least respecte...
Jan 07th 2015
                     Ha! Wait...Let me get this right
Jan 07th 2015
                          i simply hate his attitude..I acknowledge he's done great work.
Jan 07th 2015
BTW, thanks for these links. I don't know why I didn't know about APN.
Jan 07th 2015
be wary though
Jan 07th 2015
      that boy ain't right, lol
Jan 07th 2015
As big a prick as Reed is, how did he get re-elected?
Jan 07th 2015
He produces
Jan 07th 2015
      ^^^^
Jan 07th 2015
      (he's also connected)
Feb 02nd 2015
So people are mad about Reed's attitude or his results?
Jan 07th 2015
He's effective without a doubt
Jan 07th 2015
Truth to all of this...lol
Jan 07th 2015
      suprised he's still your homeboy considering just yesterday he fired Chi...
Jan 07th 2015
depends on the issue
Jan 07th 2015
      his whole attitude during Snowmaggedon was hilarious and
Jan 07th 2015
      This is common
Jan 07th 2015
      but if you have gubernatorial(or higher) aspirations, you might reconsid...
Jan 07th 2015
           RE: but if you have gubernatorial(or higher) aspirations, you might reco...
Jan 07th 2015
                yeah but he mostly ran unopposed
Jan 07th 2015
                     RE: yeah but he mostly ran unopposed
Jan 07th 2015
                          jesus
Jan 07th 2015
      RE: depends on the issue
Jan 07th 2015
that Reed quote is so awesome in a way.
Jan 07th 2015
so Reed and Mitchell took their fight to V-103
Jan 08th 2015
Kasim continues to be extra with it
Feb 02nd 2015
wow what's the homestead exemption in GA?
Feb 02nd 2015
$25K in fulton county
Feb 02nd 2015
Asshole lol. And the city needs to pay APS everything its owed
Feb 02nd 2015

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I've kinda been paying attn on and off. It's hard to win when it's perce..."
In response to Reply # 0

that you're taking money from kids...especially those kids.This is a lose/lose for Reed.

Then he looks like a clown for trying to chump Mitchell.

BTW, Who you got in a fistfight b/t Reed and Mitchell? I think Mitchell might get him. I dunno.

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "The issue isn't that clean cut"
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds bad on Mayor Reed's part, but the devil is in the details. Nobody, on either side, is trying to steal food out of kids' mouths. It's hard to look at Reed's record and say he doesn't care about APS. It started with a contract that was unclear and terribly written during the Franklin Administration.

Apparently, Mayor Reed's been trying to settle this with the APS board for months and can't get the chair (who's campaign was run by Ceasar's brother) to negotiate in good faith. Ceasar's using it as a political chess piece for his run for Mayor.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:45 AM

12. "what's unclear about the contract?"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Jan-07-15 11:46 AM by Jay Doz

let's say i interview for a lucrative job. i think everything went well enough, so i say screw it, and go buy a nice luxury car. but i don't get the job. do i say to the bank, "my bad mr. banker, i'll pay you later than what i'd originally agreed. that job i thought i thought i was going to get didn't work out."? absolutely not, and that's what is essentially happening here. you're right, the original contract was a bad contract because it required fixed payments (vice a percentage), but nonetheless it's still a contract. pay them what they're owed now and work to renegotiate going forward.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: what's unclear about the contract?"
In response to Reply # 12

1) There's a dispute over when and if the payment is due. 2) There were also several side agreements made and payments that have already been made.

Lawyers fight about that stuff all the time and it's debatable.

APS is not going to fade away if they don't get the payment. It's one of the most highly funded districts in the region.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:07 PM

16. "where did you read that at?"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Jan-07-15 12:21 PM by Jay Doz

the bill for 2014 was already due, and since the spat, the 2015 bill is now due. $6.75M each bill. i've seen no mention of the COA having made payments with regards to those bills.

-------

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:01 PM

25. "RE: where did you read that at?"
In response to Reply # 16

Beltline paid APS $26M upfront and APS refuses to count the payment.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:14 PM

29. "where did you read that at?"
In response to Reply # 25

-------

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:29 AM

2. "I really wanted to like Reed years ago but he's a total arrogant a$$hole..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 10:33 AM by Fishgrease

there's nothing likable about him at this point.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

placee_22
12956 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:32 AM

3. "I just listened to the audio that JayDoz posted...Dude is a gigantic pri..."
In response to Reply # 2

Fishgrease
34460 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:35 AM

5. "i've never seen a public official thats always on the defensive as Reed"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Jan-07-15 10:35 AM by Fishgrease

is at all times.

He's got that "Biggie days before he got shot" kinda paranoia thing about him.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:48 AM

6. "one of my favorite Reed quotes..."
In response to Reply # 5

http://wabe.org/post/stadium-neighborhoods-continue-push-binding-community-benefits-package

On the whole, last Wednesday's community benefits committee meeting ran smoothly. Mayor Kasim Reed, city officials, and community stakeholders patiently exchanged ideas for about two hours.

The lone exception occurred after a question about whether the final package would be a legally-binding "agreement," or a non-binding "plan."

“What is so frightening about the word 'agreement'?" asked Rev. Anthony Motley of the Lindsay Street Baptist Church, located in the English Avenue neighborhood. “We want an agreement, Mr. Mayor...We don’t want a plan.”

A heated exchange between Reed and Motley ensued.

“You don’t have to tell me who votes. I know who votes. That’s why I’m sitting in this chair and you’re not,” said Reed.

“You make cheap personal shots at people and that’s not becoming of a mayor,” said Motley.

-------

Fishgrease
34460 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:13 PM

17. "for all the bullsh*t Bill Campbell did in the 90's...i at least respecte..."
In response to Reply # 6

Reed?Not so much.

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:26 PM

28. "Ha! Wait...Let me get this right"
In response to Reply # 17

You respect someone who stole money over someone who balances the budget and fulfilled his campaign promises? OK

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2014/aug/15/kasim-reed/cynics-beware-promises-appear-track/

Personality can be overrated.

Fishgrease
34460 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:48 PM

31. "i simply hate his attitude..I acknowledge he's done great work."
In response to Reply # 28

placee_22
12956 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:33 AM

4. "BTW, thanks for these links. I don't know why I didn't know about APN."
In response to Reply # 0

good stuff

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:18 PM

19. "be wary though"
In response to Reply # 4

i like APN because i can't find any other media outlets that actually follow city council votes (or school board votes for that matter). but Cardinale, while well-intentioned, is a bit of a provocateur that currently doesn't even live in the city (he's in law school at Gonzaga). https://www.law.gonzaga.edu/centers-programs/thomas-more/profiles/class-of-2016/

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2009/06/29/profile-matthew-cardinale-editor-of-atlanta-progressive-news

but as an advocate, he plays his part well.

oh, and this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrx9UQ-_6Yw

-------

placee_22
12956 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:25 PM

20. "that boy ain't right, lol"
In response to Reply # 19

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:01 AM

7. "As big a prick as Reed is, how did he get re-elected?"
In response to Reply # 0

To me, it seems like every move he makes is to set himself up nicely after his tenure and he doesn't give a fuck who knows it.

Streets won't let me chill.

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:07 AM

8. "He produces"
In response to Reply # 7

He's not warm and fuzzy, but he's done a great job. Pension reform, 200 more police officers on the street, balanced budgets and secured a lot of federal money for infrastructure.

I'll take that over a congenial empty suit.

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:53 AM

13. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 02:01 PM

37. "(he's also connected)"
In response to Reply # 8

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:37 AM

10. "So people are mad about Reed's attitude or his results? "
In response to Reply # 0

Jesus. Is Reed effective or is he a dud? Does the man get the job done or is he stealing money? I really what to know because all I hear is complain about his attitude.

I live in Dekalb County, so I don't have to live in the ATL.

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:41 AM

11. "He's effective without a doubt"
In response to Reply # 10

Dude is one of the most productive mayors in the US. Obama didn't make him one of his top surrogates for nothing.

Folks weren't mad at his combative style when he was giving it to Ted Cruz on Meet the Press.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:31 PM

21. "Truth to all of this...lol"
In response to Reply # 11

>Folks weren't mad at his combative style when he was giving it
>to Ted Cruz on Meet the Press.

^^ This. No body was mad about this.

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:41 PM

24. "suprised he's still your homeboy considering just yesterday he fired Chi..."
In response to Reply # 21

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/reed-to-speak-about-atlanta-fire-chief-book-contro/njg9W/

-------

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:01 PM

15. "depends on the issue"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Jan-07-15 12:19 PM by Jay Doz

you can makeshift a tight ship by packing all of your offices with Howard grads, but short term administrative victories don't mean much when your inability to nurture interpersonal relationships jeopardizes your goals (and your legacy) in the long term. he's had at least four different executive-level leaders jump ship and a number of ugly and public battles with APS, the city council, the press, and his constituents. it's not a good look, and that can affect the city's perception just as much as whether or not the checkbook is balanced.

-------

Fishgrease
34460 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:15 PM

18. "his whole attitude during Snowmaggedon was hilarious and "
In response to Reply # 15

cringe worthy at the same time.

I live in Cobb though....him don't effect me.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:32 PM

22. "This is common"

. he's had at least four different executive-level
>leaders jump ship and a number of ugly and public battles with
>APS, the city council, the press, and his constituents. it's
>not a good look, and that can affect the city's perception
>just as much as whether or not the checkbook is balanced.

This happens often.

placee_22
12956 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 12:35 PM

23. "but if you have gubernatorial(or higher) aspirations, you might reconsid..."
In response to Reply # 22

constantly having pissing contests with your BASE, the city council and APS stuff is par for the course, but he out here having shouting matches w/ preachers. That's not a good look.

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:17 PM

27. "RE: but if you have gubernatorial(or higher) aspirations, you might reco..."
In response to Reply # 23

True, but that base re-elected him with 84% of the vote. Some folks like a fighter in office. Read up on Theodore Roosevelt. Dude was as abrasive as they get.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:28 PM

30. "yeah but he mostly ran unopposed"
In response to Reply # 27

no offense to Misters Bartell and Wrightson, but none of those guys were competitive candidates. that's like me trumpeting that "Barack Obama *obviously* has a ton of support because he won 88% of the vote in the Democratic 2012 primary!" *rapid hand jerk motion*

A+ sock puppetry though

-------

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:58 PM

32. "RE: yeah but he mostly ran unopposed"
In response to Reply # 30

When you don't get a credible challenge in a major city, it's because no one has a real chance at beating you. He wasn't running for some obscure office, he's the executive over the most dominant city in the region. He would've had serious competition if anyone thought they had half a chance.

Let's just say you don't like him and leave it at that. Your attempts to discredit the job he's done fall flat.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:08 PM

33. "jesus"
In response to Reply # 32
Wed Jan-07-15 04:12 PM by Jay Doz

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2014/07/16/heres-your-handy-guide-to-the-journalists-that-mayor-kasim-reed-has-blocked-on-twitter

the vindictiveness is petty and childish and it makes us all look bad.

-------

Ras_child
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:08 PM

26. "RE: depends on the issue"

That's just politics. He did well nurturing the relationships he has in the White House. We got more federal transportation funding than almost any other city and got support for the Savannah Port. He also nurtured relations with the state government and the all companies that have moved into the city.

Not to mention, he was at the table when APS was about to lose accreditation. All that other stuff is fluff and everyday politics.

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "that Reed quote is so awesome in a way."
In response to Reply # 0

strong mayors gotta be strong mayors sometimes.

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 01:47 PM

35. "so Reed and Mitchell took their fight to V-103"
In response to Reply # 0

CL has the audio

also, Shirley Franklin weighs in in the comments

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2015/01/07/reed-mitchell-joust-over-aps-beltline-debt-dispute#readerComments

-------

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 01:32 PM

36. "Kasim continues to be extra with it"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/RepKaiser/status/561249871332511746

FYI, Kaiser is considering a run for mayor in 2017

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2014/12/30/state-rep-margaret-kaiser-mulls-mayoral-run-in-2017

-------

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 03:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "wow what's the homestead exemption in GA?"
In response to Reply # 36

she wants it UP to $50K?

then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 03:47 PM

39. "$25K in fulton county"
In response to Reply # 38

then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 04:07 PM

40. "Asshole lol. And the city needs to pay APS everything its owed "
In response to Reply # 36

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Lobby General Discussion topic #12691844 Previous topic | Next topic