Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12691669

Subject: "Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand..." Previous topic | Next topic
bibblegolf
Member since Oct 19th 2004
21833 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 07:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand..."

....they don't have the same plight as us African-Americans.

This isn't a hate or bait post but something I feel the black folks here might want to discuss.

So at work I have a few African co-workers and I am the only African-American male there. In light of everything that's going on in the world up comes the topic of race relations and French is already one of their languages but I often find them saying "we this.." and "we that.."
The whole time I'm thinking to myself...dude has duel citizenship or can easily buy a one way ticket back home to Africa and go about his business.

I say this because it seems that many Africans that came/come to the U.S. and start businesses and thrive and prosper off the American economy then send money back home AFTER we as African-Americans were "freed" as slaves and began establishing our own way in this country from nothing.

I flat out want to ask them....

1) When your ancestors discovered that they sold or knew about my ancestors being taken from our indigenous land and put through continuous stages of hardship in America that they didn't come in swarms to come through and rescue us?

2) Why is it AFTER the fact that when we are "free" and establish a little for ourselves from nothing that like many other ethnic groups Africans came to the U.S...our plight here became theirs as well?

I'm hoping you all can see these as valid points and questions of discussion and both black and African can chime in and give me your take on the situation.

"The more a country produces..the richer it is...the better it should take care of it's people. - Dr. Aleida Guevara"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand...
Jan 07th 2015
Jan 07th 2015
Man...it's too early for this dumb shit
Jan 07th 2015
trollin?
Jan 07th 2015
      I can't see why one would call this trolling.
Jan 07th 2015
           i guess i'd just rather believe someone was trolling than
Jan 07th 2015
                i guess i'd just rather believe someone was trolling than
Jan 07th 2015
                     ok...so that represents all of Africa?
Jan 07th 2015
so much to say, so little time
Jan 07th 2015
they may not have the issues you have..
Jan 07th 2015
but the problem is
Jan 07th 2015
Nah, they don't feel slavery is your fault.
Jan 07th 2015
In my circle of friends that is pretty much a joke.
Jan 07th 2015
I concur.
Jan 07th 2015
      in large part this is truth
Jan 07th 2015
      im not too sure about this
Jan 07th 2015
      I think our problems are less visible
Jan 07th 2015
           you might need to explain this
Jan 07th 2015
                I'm talking about identity issues
Jan 07th 2015
      AFKAP or others: what are these opportunities we have?
Jan 09th 2015
get over it huh? lol
Jan 07th 2015
that's really unfortunate
Jan 07th 2015
they weren't all like that...
Jan 07th 2015
I've literally never encountered that
Jan 07th 2015
      lucky you...
Jan 07th 2015
Yeah... they do lol not all... but
Jan 07th 2015
      You talking about the 'elder' Africans?
Jan 07th 2015
      Talking about folk my parents age
Jan 07th 2015
      i dont know about 'elder'
Jan 07th 2015
You are ignorant
Jan 09th 2015
yup.. and more times than not there is a jealousy/frustration
Jan 07th 2015
      trust me, its not jealousy
Jan 07th 2015
           thank you for your honesty, it is refreshing.
Jan 09th 2015
Jan 07th 2015
I can see that
Jan 07th 2015
Are they trying to claim solidarity or their superiority?
Jan 07th 2015
RE: Are they trying to claim solidarity or their superiority?
Jan 07th 2015
      Why are you replying to me?
Jan 07th 2015
      RE: Why are you replying to me?
Jan 07th 2015
           RE: Why are you replying to me?
Jan 07th 2015
      i dont get this
Jan 07th 2015
           yeah. it took a few years of warring to pacify the "savages"
Jan 07th 2015
Oddly enough, I've yet to meet Africans who see their plight
Jan 07th 2015
YEP!
Jan 07th 2015
RE: YEP!
Jan 08th 2015
This is the "anti-Black" semtiment I've heard
Jan 07th 2015
As the Spokesman for Africans on this site, you're out of line
Jan 07th 2015
lol since when?
Jan 07th 2015
I stopped trying to get them to understand
Jan 07th 2015
THEM???
Jan 07th 2015
      Really?
Jan 07th 2015
      I don't think it is.. we just telling stories about what we experienced
Jan 07th 2015
      Dude...they look at us as them so come off that
Jan 07th 2015
           That sounds more personal than cultural
Jan 07th 2015
           Yeah even for the anti-akata contigent, that's a bit much
Jan 07th 2015
           right? not showing up when the grandkid is born? thats some other shit
Jan 07th 2015
           Yeah I bet they didn't like him...
Jan 07th 2015
           Whoa . . .
Jan 07th 2015
           Damn...wth???
Jan 07th 2015
as a congolese haitian american i get tired of explaining
Jan 07th 2015
Amen!
Jan 07th 2015
agreed
Jan 07th 2015
thank you
Jan 07th 2015
Jan 07th 2015
so your issue is africans showed up after the fact, tryna be down?
Jan 07th 2015
"Look at my nose, my nose is strong! Your nose is weak!
Jan 07th 2015
First off...thank you ALL for your responses....
Jan 07th 2015
see? trolling
Jan 07th 2015
Jan 07th 2015
never been overseas myself...
Jan 07th 2015
real talk: Black people dont understand or like Black people
Jan 09th 2015

Paradeofegos
Member since Apr 06th 2014
106 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 08:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 08:34 AM by Paradeofegos

I'm not african-american, but creole Mauritian.
Our country is a former slave colony, It is still a different reality there than black people in America (as most of the white people left after the end of slavery, the country also has a large Indian community which in alot of ways took over from where the white colonialists left off with the racism towards the african's (Caste system)
I am actually a mix of both, but am mostly and consider myself creole mauritian.
I grew up and lived in Australia- lets not get into their racism particularly against Indigenous Australians.

I guess I can not answer your question exactly, but yes africans everywhere do use the phrase "we", and we include former African slaves that live in the Unites States.

I dont know if African's claim your plight but feel they should speak up in support of it?

Paradeofegos
Member since Apr 06th 2014
106 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 08:37 AM

2. "RE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 08:40 AM by Paradeofegos

I get and hear what your saying about the experience of an African Vs African-American- two very different experiences.

Do you think African's claim your plight or feel they should speak up in support of it? like many african-americans have in support of issues concerning black people around the world- inc South Africa?

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 08:39 AM

3. "Man...it's too early for this dumb shit"
In response to Reply # 0

anyway, troll on playa

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

bibblegolf
21833 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:08 AM

4. "trollin?"
In response to Reply # 3

come on now..

"The more a country produces..the richer it is...the better it should take care of it's people. - Dr. Aleida Guevara"

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I can't see why one would call this trolling."
In response to Reply # 4

I think this is a very valid topic for discussion.

Alas, it's one I've partaken in way too many times... don't know where to start with it at this point.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

gumz
20118 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:04 AM

10. "i guess i'd just rather believe someone was trolling than"
In response to Reply # 5

believe someone actually thinks everybody in all of Africa was complicit in the slave trade and sat around letting it happen when they could have stopped it or sailed over to save everyone on their magical ships. it's all kinda ridiculous. to add on that those same africans then waited until Black Americans freed themselves and established themselves in this country before coming over and taking a piece of that pie...i dunno man, i'd just rather put the blinders on to that shit.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:45 PM

27. "i guess i'd just rather believe someone was trolling than"
In response to Reply # 10

>believe someone actually thinks (stop right there... he didn't say all of Africa so don't deal in absolutes... BUT perhaps that is his experience with Africans) everybody in all of Africa was complicit in the slave trade (No one said that either... BUT that is a valid argument.) and sat around letting it happen when they could have stopped it or sailed over to save everyone on their magical ships. (Oh the ships were only magical for us then... because other cultures had them and used them. Even Marcus Garvey built ships and sailed back... he sailed back in the midst of hate and b/s... I never read about african ships on our horizons...)

it's all kinda ridiculous. to
>add on that those same africans then waited until Black
>Americans freed themselves and established themselves in this
>country before coming over and taking a piece of that pie (You must have had these conversations before... the offense is already built in) ...i
>dunno man, i'd just rather put the blinders on to that shit.

But there are no blinders fam. I married an Afrian woman and her father nor mother speak to me, allow me in their home because I am Akata... so whether you don't want to beleive it or otherwise it is real.)

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

gumz
20118 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:06 PM

61. "ok...so that represents all of Africa?"
In response to Reply # 27

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:50 AM

6. "so much to say, so little time"
In response to Reply # 0

I know what I have observed so no, need for discussion here.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:50 AM

7. "they may not have the issues you have.."
In response to Reply # 0

but they typically have other issues... just as serious around race and identity and racism.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:55 AM

8. "but the problem is"
In response to Reply # 7

our African counterparts wholly look at slavery as if it were our fault. They look at our plight as our weakness and approach us from that view point.

It makes it difficult to begin a dialogue.

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Nah, they don't feel slavery is your fault."
In response to Reply # 8

They feel that you not "getting over it" is your fault.

Nobody disputes that slavery was some terrible shit. But terrible shit happens. I mean, if you live in Africa today, you probably encounter some fucked-up shit on a weekly basis.

But you gotta just keep moving forward. The world don't stop turning for nobody, and nobody owes anybody anything.

(That's the way *they* think of it...not ME)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:58 AM

11. "In my circle of friends that is pretty much a joke."
In response to Reply # 9

We clown the Nigerian dude because his people were so greedy they sold us away and now all of us are having to fight the white man, and then he'll make a joke about how Nigerians are going to run everything.

In my mind, as long as your black and trying to build with black folks you are good people.

Yeah African-Americans should try harder to "move on" but Africans should also admit they accidentally fucked themselves over by dealing with Euros and Arabs in the first place.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:02 AM

12. "I concur."
In response to Reply # 11

>Yeah African-Americans should try harder to "move on" but
>Africans should also admit they accidentally fucked themselves
>over by dealing with Euros and Arabs in the first place.

And while Africans may not admit it (due to certain class issues among other things) we're arguably more fucked than African-Americans.

But then again, I think most Africans DO know that... which is why they are so unsympathetic to African-American plight. They feel that "y'all" have it good, "you" have everything at your fingertips if "you" would just ackrite and grab it... and yet "you" still complain.

The grass is always greener.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:01 PM

30. "in large part this is truth"
In response to Reply # 12

>But then again, I think most Africans DO know that... which is
>why they are so unsympathetic to African-American plight. They
>feel that "y'all" have it good, "you" have everything at your
>fingertips if "you" would just ackrite and grab it... and yet
>"you" still complain.

I have Nigerians in my extended family as well as Guyanese. Both of them look at American Black folks with this view. We DO have a lot of advantages to them if you look at their home countries. We sit here and complain about way too much shit to have all of these opportunities at hand. They prove we have these opportunities when they come over here with next to nothing and make it while many of us sit off complaining about how "da man" got us down.

(A lot of us here on OKP HAVE made it or are working hard towards doing do, so we don't count)

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:38 PM

40. "im not too sure about this"

>And while Africans may not admit it (due to certain class
>issues among other things) we're arguably more fucked than
>African-Americans.

and i live in south sudan where *we* are our main problem

i still dont think our issues are as insurmountable as that of african americans.
i guess i should say, poor Black people are more fkced up than our poor.
dont know how to explain this. i mean, we have more challenges, yes
but i have cousins that are barely literate *after* finishing high school in the u.s and thats a bit difficult to imagine here (in terms of someone being in high school and not able to read/write(
that institutionalized ish is not a joke
and then the whole they aint pullin up bootstraps mentality that is even amongst Black people?

i dont know

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:41 PM

41. "I think our problems are less visible"
In response to Reply # 40

while being much more deeply-rooted.

And they're not "fatal"... you can live a full and rich life while afflicted by chronic colonial mentality.

But the problems are there and the fact that we don't even see them makes it all the worse.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:50 PM

45. "you might need to explain this"
In response to Reply # 41

>And they're not "fatal"... you can live a full and rich life
>while afflicted by chronic colonial mentality.'

Im not so much speaking about our identity issues cause we are fucked up when it comes to that
(i walk around juba and see so many women bleaching their skin yet we are the blackest people i know)
im mainly speaking about, whether or not poor people here still have some opportunity to actually succeed vs having a whole system that ensures that you can barely make it out.
i feel like there is a sense of complete lack of hope in the us. that i dont see in africa
(outside of drugdealing, playing football or nba)
i might be wrong,
but working with poor kids in the u.s and then working with poor kids in kenya?
there was still ambition amongst kids who might never make it that i didnt sense in the u.s

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:01 PM

51. "I'm talking about identity issues"
In response to Reply # 45

which end up manifesting in a number of detrimental ways on the macro level as well.

There's a simultaneous sense of inferiority and superiority in the contemporary African psyche. And it's a big part of why it seems that Africa can never stand on its own. We tend to be very confident people individually but not collectively.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 05:40 AM

70. "AFKAP or others: what are these opportunities we have?"

that we are not grabbing & taking advantage of?

i dont want to put words in your mouth or fingertips & you know im not attacking you im honestly interested in what you or others who may agree w/ that POV think

does it really matter?

for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth: http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:14 PM

14. "get over it huh? lol"
In response to Reply # 9

Maybe I met the wrong Africns because the ones I talked to ALWAYS made sure to bring slavery up or imply that our ancestors were weak for being caught and sold off...

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:20 PM

16. "that's really unfortunate"
In response to Reply # 14

>

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:21 PM

18. "they weren't all like that... "
In response to Reply # 16

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:27 PM

20. "I've literally never encountered that"
In response to Reply # 14

Anti "Black" bigotry, yes, but not as it relates to having been sold into slavery.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:17 PM

38. "lucky you... "
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Jan-07-15 04:24 PM by legsdiamond

they also said this:

if you put 5 africans in a locked room and 5 Black Americans in a locked room the Africans would get out quicker.

It was a party and the liquor and bud was flowing and once they got buzzy they went for broke.

we were outnumbered 15 to 2 and it was their party. There were a few who were chill and we chopped it up but some of them were on that mutts and dogs shit.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:37 PM

23. "Yeah... they do lol not all... but"
In response to Reply # 9

You don't know my father-in-law fam... He had that convo with me. Straight up wanted to ghetto blast him once or twice but can't do that hahaha.
>
>Nobody disputes that slavery was some terrible shit. But
>terrible shit happens. I mean, if you live in Africa today,
>you probably encounter some fucked-up shit on a weekly basis.
>
>But you gotta just keep moving forward. The world don't stop
>turning for nobody, and nobody owes anybody anything.
>
>(That's the way *they* think of it...not ME)
Also, you forgot that when the elder Africans came here, they were not rightly accepted by the American Blacks... and their mistreatment angers and hurts them as much as slavery hurt us. They ask us to get over it, but they won't. It's a really crazy dynamic.

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:14 PM

34. "You talking about the 'elder' Africans?"
In response to Reply # 23

>Also, you forgot that when the elder Africans came here, they
>were not rightly accepted by the American Blacks... and their
>mistreatment angers and hurts them as much as slavery hurt us.
>They ask us to get over it, but they won't. It's a really
>crazy dynamic.

Dude, I don't forget that because *I* got that mistreatment and so do Africans still coming over to the States today, in 2015.

To this very day right here on this very forum a lot of African people still get that disrespect and patronizing attitude... trust, bruh, I didn't "forget" anything lol

But do most Africans wallow and wail and curl up into a ball of depression about how Black Americans don't like them? They just move on... "These people don't fuck with us, so we don't fuck with them." Life goes on.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:51 PM

46. "Talking about folk my parents age"
In response to Reply # 34

or my wife's parents lol.

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:45 PM

43. "i dont know about 'elder'"
In response to Reply # 23

i guess that needs to be defined.

we had a lot of kenyans come to the u.s in the 70's, during the height of the civil rights/ Black Power/ movement
we had the whole pan africanist movement that i think was a seminal time with regards to the relationships amongst diaspora blacks
i dont think that was a time of 'us' against' them. I think that was a time when we all felt like we were in the same boat (regardless of how we got here)

i dont know when that changed.
i know that my generation of africans are the most prejudiced against Blacks its shameful
i dont know how to explain it
for example, most of my peers grew up worshiping AfAm culture in Nairobi
(we were listening to all that shit y'all were listening to)
but most of us that came here?
something changed.
it didnt for me, not so much so i still cant explain it

OrangeandBlue
Member since Nov 02nd 2006
10198 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 02:49 AM

68. "You are ignorant"
In response to Reply # 8

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:20 PM

17. "yup.. and more times than not there is a jealousy/frustration"
In response to Reply # 7

that we aren't taking advantage of all the things that are available in the US.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:52 PM

48. "trust me, its not jealousy"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Jan-07-15 04:52 PM by akon

>that we aren't taking advantage of all the things that are
>available in the US.

i will be completely honest and say that africans who are in the u.s (that i know)
do not respect african americans.
thats not jealousy. its prejudice

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 05:38 AM

69. "thank you for your honesty, it is refreshing."
In response to Reply # 48

unfortunately that is nearly universal & IMO true of Black people as well

does it really matter?

kaytomah
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
891 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:16 AM

13. "RE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think the issue is valid as a diaspora topic of discussion. However, I think your assertion leave little room for an expansive and inclusive discussion.

I am Liberian; I know what the "Americo-Liberian" did to indigenous nations in "Liberia." Not the same, but I just want to illustrate that the Atlantic Slave Trade was not practice by most Africans.

Africans like most immigrants tend to generally buy into the American narrative. The institutional, governmental, scientific and culturally believe that anyone(group) can make it regardless of the systematic diseases AA went through from Slavery, cultural alienation, Jim Crow, Black codes...

My mother likes to stress that America has "free education." But she misses the fact that this free education is secondary to most. Your African co-workers will understand the institutional and cultural racism if you point them in the direction of health in the US.

My point is the world in general has bought into this narrative; African or not.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:41 PM

25. "I can see that"
In response to Reply # 13

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

Goldmind
Member since Oct 28th 2004
27522 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:18 PM

15. "Are they trying to claim solidarity or their superiority?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't understand what your beef is if it's the first scenario.

kaytomah
891 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:23 PM

19. "RE: Are they trying to claim solidarity or their superiority?"
In response to Reply # 15

I got no beef, just recognizing that as a conversation starter most folks will come in very defensive.

1) "When your ancestors discovered that they sold or knew about my ancestors being taken from our indigenous land and put through continuous stages of hardship in America that they didn't come in swarms to come through and rescue us?"

These kids are raise on rap music
that's why they
autone it

-Blitz the Ambassador

Goldmind
Member since Oct 28th 2004
27522 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:30 PM

21. "Why are you replying to me?"
In response to Reply # 19

kaytomah
891 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:42 PM

42. "RE: Why are you replying to me?"
In response to Reply # 21

Error

These kids are raise on rap music
that's why they
autone it

-Blitz the Ambassador

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:38 PM

65. "RE: Why are you replying to me?"
In response to Reply # 42

>Error
>
>
>These kids are raise on rap music
>that's why they
>autone it
>
>-Blitz the Ambassador

There's an error in your sig too. I think "autone" should be "autotune"
Lol, my bad. I just had to point it out.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:55 PM

49. "i dont get this"
In response to Reply # 19

>1) "When your ancestors discovered that they sold or knew
>about my ancestors being taken from our indigenous land and
>put through continuous stages of hardship in America that they
>didn't come in swarms to come through and rescue us?"

at all.
i understand the sentiment. and its hilarious when eddie griffin does it in voodoo child
but its not like africans were just cold chilling ignoring the missionaries and colonialists.

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:37 PM

56. "yeah. it took a few years of warring to pacify the "savages""
In response to Reply # 49

>but its not like africans were just cold chilling ignoring the
>missionaries and colonialists.

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:33 PM

22. "Oddly enough, I've yet to meet Africans who see their plight "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 02:33 PM by vee-lover

inner connected w/ours

They may have sympathy for us on many fronts

But as Anthology said above, most Africans I've had discussions with abt slavery in America and how the lingering effects of that experience is partly why we aren't able to move forward they seem to feel as if we're using slavery as a crutch...and that we have more resources at our disposable than any other group of ppl of color and we should be doing more

One brother from Ghana (heard this from Jamaicans too) used to say to me all the time in so many words that "Blk ameicans are lazy"

grassrootsphilosopher

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:40 PM

24. "YEP!"
In response to Reply # 22

Exactly!!!!!

They never take into consideration the actual politics of this place. It is interesting watching my wife as New Jersey treats her like an American Black... it's almost like she is just now realizing how effed up it is...

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

kophe
Member since Feb 26th 2008
78 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 06:24 PM

67. "RE: YEP!"
In response to Reply # 24

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS is the key! Most Africans change their tune once they experience Institutionalized racism. Until that happens I chalk it up to them being ignorant.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:42 PM

26. "This is the "anti-Black" semtiment I've heard"
In response to Reply # 22

not, "y'all were weak to get caught"

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:47 PM

28. "As the Spokesman for Africans on this site, you're out of line"
In response to Reply # 0

Especially for Question #1.

SeV
Charter member
50209 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:47 PM

37. "lol since when? "
In response to Reply # 28

How u spokesperson and don't even watch soccer/futbol

but im banned tho.

Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:57 PM

29. "I stopped trying to get them to understand"
In response to Reply # 0

In my experience they are just hellbent on believing the white supremacist narrative. It's easier and doesn't require them to think.

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:05 PM

32. "THEM???"
In response to Reply # 29

>In my experience they are just hellbent on believing the
>white supremacist narrative. It's easier and doesn't require
>them to think.

Not "WE" but "THEM"?

Word?

I didn't know this site was so Anti African. Good to know.

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:16 PM

35. "Really? "
In response to Reply # 32
Wed Jan-07-15 03:22 PM by afrogirl_lost

Of course we are all the same. However, the continentals Africans I was speaking about don't see it that way. I just deal with the ones who don't accept that nonsense.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:25 PM

39. "I don't think it is.. we just telling stories about what we experienced"

Africans have their stories and we have ours...

I'm sure we also have GOOD stories too but this post ain't really about that.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:45 PM

44. "Dude...they look at us as them so come off that"

I been maried to it for nearly a decade and TRUST... yes (in some cultures , not all) we are not effed with by them. Wife's parents (THEY) did not attend OUR wedding, nor any of her relatives (aside from one sister). When OUR son was born THEY never showed up. THEY disowned their eldest daughter because of our marriage...

All I am saying is that there is a problem. A Huge problem. It is not all cultures, but there are many who outright dislike US and don't view US all as the same.

Just as there are those of US who are equally as ignorant and hurtful to our African family.

I have never once threatened culture removal or anything to that effect. If anything it is to the opposite.

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

unfukwitable
Charter member
22112 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:58 PM

50. "That sounds more personal than cultural"
In response to Reply # 44

======================================
http://www.zuitomedia.com/

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:10 PM

52. "Yeah even for the anti-akata contigent, that's a bit much"
In response to Reply # 50

>
>======================================
>http://www.zuitomedia.com/

gumz
20118 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:12 PM

62. "right? not showing up when the grandkid is born? thats some other shit"
In response to Reply # 52

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:49 PM

66. "Yeah I bet they didn't like him..."
In response to Reply # 50

His wife being african kind of explains his posts about his marriage tho...

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:11 PM

53. "Whoa . . ."

>I been maried to it for nearly a decade and TRUST... yes (in
>some cultures , not all) we are not effed with by them. Wife's
>parents (THEY) did not attend OUR wedding, nor any of her
>relatives (aside from one sister). When OUR son was born THEY
>never showed up. THEY disowned their eldest daughter because
>of our marriage...
>
>
>All I am saying is that there is a problem. A Huge problem. It
>is not all cultures, but there are many who outright dislike
>US and don't view US all as the same.
>
>Just as there are those of US who are equally as ignorant and
>hurtful to our African family.
>
>I have never once threatened culture removal or anything to
>that effect. If anything it is to the opposite.

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:19 PM

55. "Damn...wth???"

My brother in law is Senegalese (Wolof). His fam LOVES my sister. Sorry y'all had to go through that.

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:04 PM

31. "as a congolese haitian american i get tired of explaining"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 03:05 PM by SHAstayhighalways

that there are biases on all sides and allowing that to deter you from seeing the bigger picture only means you have biases you dont want to let go of.
its 3 sides to the same die
colonialization and slavery fucked all of us up
once we all realize that and move on and connect with those who dont buy into the foolishness we will be much better off
im sleep tho.

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:52 PM

47. "Amen! "
In response to Reply # 31

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:44 PM

59. "agreed"

>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
instagram:
http://instagram.com/0kayndc

"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

gumz
20118 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:13 PM

63. "thank you"

marijane
Member since Feb 26th 2004
13093 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:07 PM

33. "RE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand..."
In response to Reply # 0

I disagree

And I'm African

I swear I'm a marry an OKP

Nakia Genevieve are my middle names... Not my attempt to morph Phenom with Novembersgift... But...

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:44 PM

36. "so your issue is africans showed up after the fact, tryna be down?"
In response to Reply # 0

here soaking up all that good integration & affirmative action, but missed all the dogs, waterhoses and lynchings?

well that goes for pretty much all groups that came up in the past 50 yrs, including women

i never got the 'why didnt they come rescue us' beef tho.
if i have the power/gall and u have the dimwittedness for me to come across town and offer u a bottle of crown royal for your neighbor's kid
then i come back the next week with a gun and take your brothers kid

there is as much chance as u coming to find me as a flea pulling a tree

what i dont get tho is why so many countries dont have civil rights/arab spring movements
instead it seems like ppl just wash their hands of govt altogether

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:17 PM

54. ""Look at my nose, my nose is strong! Your nose is weak! "
In response to Reply # 0

You diluted fuck! Get out of my cab!" (c) Angry African Cab Driver

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

bibblegolf
21833 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:42 PM

57. "First off...thank you ALL for your responses...."
In response to Reply # 0

...the substance of this post was not intended in any way to offend or endorse "beef" between anyone.

Call this a social experiment if you will. I'll reveal what I mean by such when time avails but the responses here will be a part of a grant that I'm writing this upcoming Spring.

For the record, I'm cool with ALL indigenous people.

Thank you all again for sharing your insight on what was presented above.

gumz
20118 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:14 PM

64. "see? trolling"
In response to Reply # 57

>Call this a social experiment if you will. I'll reveal what I
>mean by such when time avails but the responses here will be a
>part of a grant that I'm writing this upcoming Spring.

Crash Bandacoot
10119 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:40 PM

58. "..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 06:45 PM by Crash Bandacoot

>

bibblegolf
21833 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:47 PM

60. "never been overseas myself..."
In response to Reply # 58

...can you explain?

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 05:48 AM

71. "real talk: Black people dont understand or like Black people"
In response to Reply # 0

we are the omni Americans & have bought into the materialism that defines American culture, the idea of the exceptional one rather then the communal us that defines american culture, etc

so of course other African ethnic people dont like or get us...by & large & i mean the VAST majority of "us" will be QUICK to get on some niggas v. Black ppl/die nigga so Black ppl can take over shit

so cmon keep it 100 in the damn post

i also married & had kids w/ a african woman...met the family. been to africa etc & the shit is real

until they REALLY got to know me & built w/ me...my people & our culture was an abstraction they mostly got from tv or radio or the media. african kids may go to school or whatever w/ everyone else but like most immigrant families or really most anybody...they lived in tight lil cocoons of their own & didnt really know or build w/ anyone who wasnt _______

so when i show up yeah i was akata. straight up. they had to get to know me & even then they prolly still to this day like he is ok...i guess but the rest of em? LOOK at tv! bums. etc

is what it is. aint gonna stop me from jamming fela or getting my jollof on

does it really matter?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12691669 Previous topic | Next topic