Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12689128

Subject: "Serious question. Have we reached saturation on anti racism?" Previous topic | Next topic
Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Serious question. Have we reached saturation on anti racism?"

I just watched the help. It was incredible. I was moved. And I saw the credits. And it was brought to me by nate berkus and john norris. A home design talk show host and mtv news correspondent. Pretty removed from the struggle. And that's not a bad thing. It means that at the furthest reaches of the white American experience, every single person is aware of the horrible history we suffered and the problems we still have. So at this moment, I think it's a question of willful ignorance to a man. Flat earth. Religion. Immutable personal views are what essentially remain and we can't protest further past here?

Is it just me?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nah, racism "evolves".
Jan 03rd 2015
(c) Lee Atwater
Jan 03rd 2015
I'm not sure I understand your question
Jan 03rd 2015
No racism is big business but first
Jan 03rd 2015
that's the main reason it will stay around, it's profitable
Jan 03rd 2015
agreed on personal views
Jan 03rd 2015
no your average white person does not believe...
Jan 03rd 2015
^^^ like a 27 inch Zenith
Jan 03rd 2015
i cant tell if thats a good thing or a bad thing lol
Jan 03rd 2015
      Believe it.
Jan 04th 2015
Yup.
Jan 03rd 2015
yup
Jan 04th 2015
the majority want to believe that racism is over & blacks keep it going
Jan 03rd 2015
No personal views are immutable.
Jan 03rd 2015
you're one of the good ones. a credit to your race.
Jan 03rd 2015
What structure of racism has been COMPLETELY dismantled?
Jan 03rd 2015
there is no way to force someone not to be racist
Jan 03rd 2015
      racism is nothing more than personal bias which will always exist
Jan 03rd 2015
      It's not biological at all
Jan 03rd 2015
           im sorry but you are 100% wrong about that.
Jan 03rd 2015
                Well I put up a Wednesday confession post
Jan 03rd 2015
                     I'm gonna stick with the science of Evolutionary Psychology
Jan 03rd 2015
                          Good call I'm sure the scientific community
Jan 04th 2015
                               and surely nothing has changed in centuries, right?
Jan 04th 2015
                               The hearts and minds of men seldom change
Jan 04th 2015
                                    so it should be disregarded?
Jan 04th 2015
                                         No but it should be questioned to the point of being irrefutable.
Jan 04th 2015
                                              so things have to irrefutable to be valid?
Jan 05th 2015
                               LMAO. im not sure how to help you understand this
Jan 04th 2015
                                    where's the link?
Jan 04th 2015
                                    oops sorry. its a google result link, will take you straight to pdf
Jan 04th 2015
                                         ummm haven't read the whole thing but it's not about racism
Jan 04th 2015
                                              thats the main reason why i never said that it was lol
Jan 04th 2015
                                                   "Ingroup bias is genetically programmed into people."
Jan 04th 2015
                                                        i was trying to start at the beginning
Jan 04th 2015
                                                        i'm just asking for scientific research that says racial bias is...
Jan 04th 2015
                                                             racial bias is just a type of ingroup bias
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                  so there is no scientific research stating racial bias is genetic?
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                       i dont know.
Jan 04th 2015
                                                        also, where evolution is concerned everything has a purpose
Jan 04th 2015
                                                             you're reading a lot into it
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                  thats exactly what bias means
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                       i like the language in the paper you linked
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                            there is a difference between something being "biological"
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                                 in 21 you said this was 100% wrong though
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                                      RE: in 21 you said this was 100% wrong though
Jan 04th 2015
                                                                                      it was wrong bc of the difference between capacity and propensity
Jan 06th 2015
                                    You know the point I'm making.
Jan 04th 2015
the thing with being the "default setting"
Jan 03rd 2015
A documentary like Crips and Bloods Made in America should be
Jan 03rd 2015
^
Jan 05th 2015
Not being racist takes constant effort.
Jan 03rd 2015
divisiveness will go nowhere
Jan 03rd 2015
Post Jack what did you like about THE HELP?
Jan 04th 2015
Honestly, it made my mom and my grandmom happy
Jan 05th 2015
"The Help" is in and of itself racist.
Jan 05th 2015
Pretty much what I figured. I had zero interest in it.
Jan 06th 2015
oh wow. read the book and absolutely hated it
Jan 05th 2015

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nah, racism "evolves"."
In response to Reply # 0

The modern racism would probably acknowledge openly that the racism from the segregation error was bad and most won't use the word "nigger" openly, however, racism has mutated into a more sophisticated form in which Rudy Guiliani can go on TV and say the fucked up stuff he does and few would call him out as racist.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 05:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "(c) Lee Atwater"
In response to Reply # 1

"You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 11:13 AM

2. "I'm not sure I understand your question"
In response to Reply # 0

I do think we have reached a point where we have lost sight of seeking understanding and instead are seeking validation, and that goes for people on all sides of the aisle. I don't think that is limited to race/racism, I think there is a sort of approval-seeking culture that has been brewing and has really exploded under the "like button." I also think there is too much of an emphasis on identifying overt racism and punishing it, as opposed to establishing a broader, deeper understanding without necessarily castigating anyone with the information we obtain.

I do not think that "the furthest reaches of the white American experience, every single person is aware of the horrible history we suffered and the problems we still have." I am not sure where you would draw that conclusion. I think what you're seeing here is that there is some real solidarity between people who are marginalized, whether it's for race or other reasons. There's empathy, yes, but there's also sympathy, even if experience and identity are not identical.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 11:22 AM

3. "No racism is big business but first"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-03-15 11:41 AM by Atillah Moor

Fuck "The Help" I understand why folks like it (white women in particular) but like Azealia Banks I'm tired of the majority of movies about black people being struggle movies. It's like the entertainment industry only wants to portray black people as being inferior or somehow subservient to whites. Never mind the movie is basically this white woman being propped up by black women-- where are the movies about black women being propped up by white women? And seriously-- a "shit pie" is how one of the maids gets her "revenge" I felt that was the most juvenile approach to character retribution possible.

At any rate I think if anything we are all becoming a bit desensitized to it. We get all worked up, walk around, shout, and then go back to our lives until something else happens.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 11:36 AM

4. "that's the main reason it will stay around, it's profitable"
In response to Reply # 3

divide-and-conquer at its finest.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35255 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "agreed on personal views"
In response to Reply # 0

People dig in to their beliefs and anything to the contrary that causes cognitive dissonance gets outright rejected to avoid anxiety. Then people really dig in to their beliefs, moving wven further towards whatever pole they are nearest to.

The fact that education has been villainized by concerted conservative effort doesnt help either. Remember when it was some how a negative that the Preaident went to Harvard? So people who know history and psychology get marginalized by certain populations.

Humanity is its own enemy sometimes.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 12:19 PM

6. "no your average white person does not believe..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-03-15 12:43 PM by ndibs

we still have serious discrimination in housing or employment or educational opportunities in 2015 or that there needs to be affirmative action or any special programs or legal protection for minorities to offset these issues.

the help was a see how far we've come, glad racism isn't really an issue anymore feel good, kumbaya movie for white folks. it doesn't surprise me it was produced by a white guy, but hes not that far removed bc he's gay and i'm sure has faced discrimination.

i mean few ppl exist who deny racism WAS an issue. but most don't see or understamd how racism IS an issue, even black folks.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 12:44 PM

7. "^^^ like a 27 inch Zenith"
In response to Reply # 6

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 04:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "i cant tell if thats a good thing or a bad thing lol"
In response to Reply # 7

Seems like a bad thing

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:24 PM

34. "Believe it."
In response to Reply # 13

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 06:13 PM

19. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 6

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:38 PM

38. "yup"
In response to Reply # 6

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 01:33 PM

8. "the majority want to believe that racism is over & blacks keep it going "
In response to Reply # 0

shit, posters here probably believe that shit

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
9. "No personal views are immutable."
In response to Reply # 0

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 05:54 PM

17. "you're one of the good ones. a credit to your race."
In response to Reply # 9

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 02:44 PM

10. "What structure of racism has been COMPLETELY dismantled?"
In response to Reply # 0

We've had success with segregation and apartheid, but that has not dismantled racism in those respective communities...there is still much work to do.

------------------
One Hundred.

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 04:20 PM

12. "there is no way to force someone not to be racist"
In response to Reply # 10

Not white americans, not Croatian fascists, not Chechens, not ethnic Serbs, etc

Because no matter how much is done systemically to alleviate the effects of intitutional racism, personal "values" are still passed down generationally.

Ingroup bias is genetically programmed into people. As for how to promote, not force, a more comprehensive view of humanity...well im pretty sure something like an alien invasion would have to happen. Humanity will always be "us vs them" and i think a non-human them is probably the only thing that will do it.

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 05:17 PM

15. "racism is nothing more than personal bias which will always exist"
In response to Reply # 12

there will always be some form of discrimination

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 06:11 PM

18. "It's not biological at all"
In response to Reply # 12

The envy, jealousy, and fear that create it are biological, but not bias itself. It's definitely learned.

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 06:14 PM

21. "im sorry but you are 100% wrong about that."
In response to Reply # 18

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 06:22 PM

22. "Well I put up a Wednesday confession post"
In response to Reply # 21
Sat Jan-03-15 06:33 PM by Atillah Moor

Which completely dismantles that line of thinking. My own experiences from the age of 5 or even 4 totally turn that notion on it's head. So I couldn't agree even if I wanted too.

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 06:42 PM

23. "I'm gonna stick with the science of Evolutionary Psychology"
In response to Reply # 22

As opposed to your CW post

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 11:29 AM

25. "Good call I'm sure the scientific community"
In response to Reply # 23

Is complety free from racial bias. I mean they were really onto something with Phrenology.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 11:58 AM

27. "and surely nothing has changed in centuries, right?"
In response to Reply # 25

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 04:22 PM

47. "The hearts and minds of men seldom change"
In response to Reply # 27

In my opinion. People will use science to try and further whatever perverse agenda they wish. Especially when power, fame, and influence can be gained.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 04:30 PM

48. "so it should be disregarded?"
In response to Reply # 47

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 10:44 PM

51. "No but it should be questioned to the point of being irrefutable."
In response to Reply # 48

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 12:23 AM

52. "so things have to irrefutable to be valid?"
In response to Reply # 51

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 12:11 PM

28. "LMAO. im not sure how to help you understand this"
In response to Reply # 25

And you dont even realize that phrenology WAS on to something, because functional localization in the brain is the basis for modern neuropsychology.

But science exists to help you understand these things. If you choose to reject it thats fine. Just realize that it marks you as self-serving and more interested in your own ideas being right than you are in the truth.

If you want to read actual scientists and aome of their findings, this link will take you to a PDF of an article from Trends in Cognitive Sciences. Something i personally put much more stock into than Confession Wednesday posts lol. If you dont, then hey...i tried.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 12:28 PM

29. "where's the link?"
In response to Reply # 28

>If you want to read actual scientists and aome of their
>findings, this link will take you to a PDF of an article from
>Trends in Cognitive Sciences.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 12:43 PM

30. "oops sorry. its a google result link, will take you straight to pdf"
In response to Reply # 29

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=zHKpVIGsF5euyASkvIA4&url=http://www.cep.ucsb.edu/papers/perceptionsrace.pdf&ved=0CB4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNF9R9WJf7zva0NHFuvHfbMtOqRxUw&sig2=v4bMz_CSyVoyr5dPlozYPw

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:14 PM

31. "ummm haven't read the whole thing but it's not about racism"
In response to Reply # 30

it's specifically talking about race encoding.

the first sentence pretty much says racial prejudice can be turned off but the question of the paper is what gets folk to recognize race in the first place:

"Race-based inferences – stereotypes – are easy to activate
and inactivate, given the appropriate context . But
what about race encoding? The race of an individual must
be noticed and remembered before a racial stereotype can
be activated or racially motivated behavior can occur."

Basically it sounds like scientific grounds for creating a post-racial society where one doesn't even recognize racial differences so that the stereotypes associated with them never occur. I'm kinda ho hum on that, but if there's some place where its explains that the biases themselves are passed down genetically and not just learned behavior please point me to the correct passage.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:17 PM

32. "thats the main reason why i never said that it was lol"
In response to Reply # 31

Its about race and its relation to group dynamics

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:19 PM

33. ""Ingroup bias is genetically programmed into people.""
In response to Reply # 32

I thought you were supporting that statement. This is all differentiation not actual bias.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:32 PM

35. "i was trying to start at the beginning"
In response to Reply # 33

But there are a bunch of scholarly articles on the subject

Feel free to explore them at your own leisure

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:37 PM

37. "i'm just asking for scientific research that says racial bias is..."
In response to Reply # 35

passed genetically. It sounds like you've studied the subject extensively so i was hoping you could provide a link. my interest goes beyond this thread.

thanks.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:42 PM

39. "racial bias is just a type of ingroup bias"
In response to Reply # 37

And im not sure how much has been written about that specifically

Skin color is the most obvious marker of ingroup/outgroup status, so racial bias can be safely extrapolated from knowledge regarding general ingroup bias

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:47 PM

40. "so there is no scientific research stating racial bias is genetic?"
In response to Reply # 39

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:57 PM

42. "i dont know."
In response to Reply # 40

This is like me saying exercise is good for people, and then being asked if aerobics is good for people.

Ingroup bias exists. Skin color is a dramatic notation of group status. I dont know whats left.

If you are looking for the genetics of hate, you probably wont find much. Hate as an emotion in that context is probably socialized.

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:37 PM

36. "also, where evolution is concerned everything has a purpose"
In response to Reply # 33

The very notion that group differentiation is an automatic process *strongly* implies the existence of different strategies for interacting with groups

And it can be safely assumed that the strategies for dealing with ingroup members will be mote altruistic than strategies for dealing with outgroup members.

I probably got a lot more out of that article than someone less familiar with evolutionary concepts.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 01:55 PM

41. "you're reading a lot into it"
In response to Reply # 36

i have to assume this is your read on things since you won't offer up any other documentation backing it up.

the first and i think most critically flawed is the assumption that differentiation == bias.

differentiation happens with everything that is different than you across species. differentiation even happens in group meaning you differentiate the individual in front of you from yourself.

now you want to say that this implies that you will treat the person who looks different than you different than the person that looks like you. but different doesn't mean with bias, particularly not with the bias we associate with racism. instead it's likely the difference is more cautionary, waiting instead for the experiences to dictate how this person who is different than you should be treated.

to show a genetic link to racial bias would mean that there is actually a gene which gets passed down from parent to child which not just informs the difference but the response to that difference.

take animal cubs. if an animal is separated from its parent before it learns to hunt it's highly likely that it will not survive because it has not been taught which things are food. based on what you're saying that should automatically be encoded into the differentiation via genes.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 02:03 PM

43. "thats exactly what bias means"
In response to Reply # 41

Treating someone different based on group status is very clearly bias

And i never said that differentiation = bias. I said that the existence of a mechanism for differentiation strongly suggests the activation of bias. Otherwise there is no point to differentiation.

I can safely say there is no single gene responsible for this. Genes simply encode proteins. Complex behavior like this is the result of a number of genes acting in concert during development.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 02:15 PM

44. "i like the language in the paper you linked"
In response to Reply # 43

"Race-based inferences – stereotypes – are easy to activate
and inactivate, given the appropriate context . But
what about race encoding? The race of an individual must
be noticed and remembered before a racial stereotype can
be activated or racially motivated behavior can occur."

race-based inferences would be bias.
race encoding would be differentiation.

there's a difference between the two.

maybe you weren't trying to argue that racism is biological, it sure sounded like it though.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 03:23 PM

45. "there is a difference between something being "biological""
In response to Reply # 44

And something having biological underpinnings

Racism is socialized. But its able to be socialized because of the biological underpinnings of ingroup bias.

The first implies that racism is something everyone is born with. The second implies that we are biologically equipped to be programmed with racism.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 04:21 PM

46. "in 21 you said this was 100% wrong though"
In response to Reply # 45
Sun Jan-04-15 04:21 PM by imcvspl

"The envy, jealousy, and fear that create it (racism) are biological, but not bias itself. It's definitely learned."

i'm glad you're saying that racism is socialized, but wonder what if anything we experience doesn't have biological underpinnings. The biological underpinnings are there to become a rapist.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 06:37 PM

50. "RE: in 21 you said this was 100% wrong though"
In response to Reply # 46

http://goo.gl/7eRCY1

cgonz00cc
35255 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 03:49 PM

57. "it was wrong bc of the difference between capacity and propensity"
In response to Reply # 46

>"The envy, jealousy, and fear that create it (racism) are
>biological, but not bias itself. It's definitely learned."

We are biologically predisposed (NOT biologically bound) to bias. Emotions like envy, jealousy, and fear are 100% conditioned, though we have the biological capacity to experience them. The somatic feelings associated with fear are usually part of a conditioned response to a stimulus. Imminent death obviously doesnt require conditioning to produce fear, but a white person is not biologically programmed to experience any particular emotion when he sees say, a black man with a white woman. The emotions that produces have been conditioned. Our neurological capacity allows those emotions, but doesn't cause them.

>i'm glad you're saying that racism is socialized, but wonder
>what if anything we experience doesn't have biological
>underpinnings. The biological underpinnings are there to
>become a rapist.

Again, its probably my fault for not being clear but biological capacity is not biological propensity. A dolphin has the biological capacity for rape. Humans have the biological capacity for suicide. We dont have a a biological propensity for either.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 04:31 PM

49. "You know the point I'm making."
In response to Reply # 28

One-- I've just had too many experiences as a child to agree that it's anything other than a learned behavior. This is the same type of horse shit folks use to try and say blacks are naturally violent towards whites, naturally inferior, and so on.

Two-- science is great when unbiased men are doing the research unfortunately America and perhaps western society do not produce many of these types. Archaeologists wouldn't even acknowledge the achievements of the maya or inca and for a time the lead researchers were convinced whites played some role in the creation of their civilizations. The same could be said for the stone city of Zimbabwe. This type of bias still exists in the scientific and archaeological community.

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 04:14 PM

11. "the thing with being the "default setting""
In response to Reply # 0

is that unless you actually know that the settings are adjustable, and look at the options, you think the default is just how it is.

If you buy a TV, and the picture looks fine to you, you'll leave it as it is and think there's nothing wrong with the picture. you might not ever click the settings button and see all the different levels that you can tweak to make the picture better than the default. Hell you might not even know those settings are there or need to be adjusted.

Similarly, if you're a white guy living in America, you might look at the way things are and think there's nothing wrong with the picture. Until you look at the different ways that the system doesn't work for non-white people, you might not realize that there are things that need to be adjusted in order to make everything better for everyone.

I think a majority of white americans just don't realize that the settings are messed up on other people's TVs, because the picture looks fine on theirs.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 05:39 PM

16. "A documentary like Crips and Bloods Made in America should be "
In response to Reply # 0

mandatory viewing for white people who think that black people are inferior culturally and bring it all on themselves. The average white person has no idea of the systemic governmental war on blacks: assassinations, housing codes, distribution of drugs into communities, purposeful withdrawal of industry when blacks start thriving, etc.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 01:06 AM

53. "^"
In response to Reply # 16

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 06:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
20. "Not being racist takes constant effort."
In response to Reply # 0

It's a way of thinking, and it's easy to revert. There's no finish line.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Sat Jan-03-15 10:07 PM

24. "divisiveness will go nowhere"
In response to Reply # 0

racist structures/institutions might...

but there is too much power to be gained via divisiveness by those who seek to manipulate others and by those who fear to face disdain of themselves...

a lot of hate and ill will come from a need to escape facing your own shortcomings and flaws...when u have a false idea to hold on to that gives u a sense of superiority...u cling to it in the hopes u can avoid ur own reflection

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sun Jan-04-15 11:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "Post Jack what did you like about THE HELP?"
In response to Reply # 0

???????????????????????????????????????????

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 06:42 AM

54. "Honestly, it made my mom and my grandmom happy"
In response to Reply # 26

When they saw it in theaters. I took forever to watch it myself. But it has that kinda underdog theatrical violin swell triumph in spots. I admit that the ending was anticlimactic for me.

Also, I didn't know I kinda loved Viola Davis. She reminds me so much of a lady from my church as a kid. I'll watch anything Octavia Spencer ever does (except that kids with cancer show) ever since she was on Halfway Home on Comedy Central. I don't think any one project will ever adequately make use of what she's truly capable of. I can get with her in a serious role, but her comedic turns end me.

But the thing that struck me was the apathy to police brutality bit , when the whole crowded street watched the cop nightstick Aunjanue Ellis in the face/head, blinked and moved on. If not for its absolute basis in truth, it would be absurd. And yet, that aspect of our cultural existence has not changed.

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 07:05 AM

55. ""The Help" is in and of itself racist."
In response to Reply # 0

It reduced the impact of Jim Crow in Jackson, MS to minor, Disney-friendly inconveniences.

It was a cute, cuddly fluffy-bunny version of civil rights designed to make those least affected by it feel okay about it.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 07:06 PM

58. "Pretty much what I figured. I had zero interest in it."
In response to Reply # 55

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 03:17 PM

56. "oh wow. read the book and absolutely hated it"
In response to Reply # 0

>I just watched the help. It was incredible. I was moved. And
>I saw the credits. And it was brought to me by nate ber

hated the sanctimonious tone of the book. i can see it being made into a movie by the guys you pointed out

interesting enough i met an black american here in juba the other day
and a) he's republican
and b) he actually used the line, if those people i.e poor black people, i guess?) werent so busy getting pregnant as teenagers
and then when he was talking about my people (i.e he'd gone out to some village here in south sudan)
he was like, 'my people' ... (how they are hard working and blablabla)

i kept looking to make sure he really was a black dude
cause he sounded exactly like those come to save the africans but dont really give a shit about black people in their own country paternalistic white folks that i always run into
send better representatives.

(

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12689128 Previous topic | Next topic