Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12688754

Subject: "Cord-cutters: constant buffering" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 02:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cord-cutters: constant buffering"

Certain services (HBOGo and HuluPlus) are practically unwatchable, where as others (Netflix, Amazon Prime, NBA and ESPN) stream perfectly. My bandwith is fine. Do you have this problem? Is my ISP throttling those services?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
cross-post
Jan 02nd 2015
if your ISP is Comcast, it's very likely you're being throttled
Jan 02nd 2015
it's verizon
Jan 02nd 2015
which operates fios tv service and partners with redbox streaming
Jan 02nd 2015
redbox instant is gone
Jan 02nd 2015
      really? dang
Jan 02nd 2015
For the tech folk
Jan 02nd 2015
      RE: For the tech folk
Jan 02nd 2015
which is a lie and bullshit but whatever
Jan 02nd 2015
      I worked for Comcast as a tech until early September.
Jan 02nd 2015
           that you don't know what those words mean
Jan 02nd 2015
                for your simple mind...
Jan 02nd 2015
                     so...you've got no information
Jan 02nd 2015
                          My response is general.
Jan 02nd 2015
                               none of the stuff you're saying lines up
Jan 02nd 2015
                                    k
Jan 02nd 2015
i never have buffering issues
Jan 02nd 2015
you're not really a cord cutter if you have HBO Go
Jan 02nd 2015
April can't come soon enough
Jan 02nd 2015
RE: April can't come soon enough
Jan 02nd 2015
Jan 02nd 2015
Jan 02nd 2015
YOU DON'T KNOW ME, RJCC!
Jan 02nd 2015
      lol. you could at least mention what ISP you have
Jan 02nd 2015
           yup and when it gets to that kind of problem
Jan 02nd 2015
                pretty much. edit - you can always try changing your DNS servers
Jan 02nd 2015
                     yup, the only problem with that is if you are using a mobile device
Jan 02nd 2015
either the product/service you are using is bogged down(the app)
Jan 02nd 2015
I'm saying a SPECIFIC service buffers
Jan 02nd 2015
      which is why i laid out more than one possibility
Jan 02nd 2015
           ah, gotcha
Jan 02nd 2015
                its because there COULD be problems between your isp
Jan 02nd 2015
Try using a new router or increasing your internet speeds via ISP.
Jan 02nd 2015
are you using Ethernet or Wi-Fi?
Jan 02nd 2015
Hulu stutters at my parent's crib
Jan 02nd 2015
one word: ethernet
Jan 02nd 2015

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12340897&mesg_id=12340897&listing_type=search

>Do you have this
>problem?

not as much as i used to

>Is my ISP throttling those services?

it's complicated, but see above and beyond

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 02:45 PM

2. "if your ISP is Comcast, it's very likely you're being throttled"
In response to Reply # 0

Comcast ain't too happy with cord cutters and will throttle your access to internet based services because they can.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 02:45 PM

3. "it's verizon"
In response to Reply # 2

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 02:47 PM

4. "which operates fios tv service and partners with redbox streaming"
In response to Reply # 3

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "redbox instant is gone"
In response to Reply # 4

http://about.redboxinstant.com/news/

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:43 PM

25. "really? dang"
In response to Reply # 24
Fri Jan-02-15 03:46 PM by howisya

i never did sign up for a free trial. i was curious just how much faster it would be and what titles it would offer.

EDIT: i have to point out that the timing coincides with when my netflix streaming improved after a year in the dumps...

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:05 PM

8. "For the tech folk"
In response to Reply # 3

I know with cable internet, the bandwidth can get bogged down if a large number of folk in the neighborhood/area of usage use a ton of the service at once. Is the same true for Fiber Optic service like Verizon FIOS?

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:09 PM

10. "RE: For the tech folk"
In response to Reply # 8

>Is the same true for Fiber
>Optic service like Verizon FIOS?

yeah (to my understanding and experience anyway)

it seems ridiculous and unfair that you can pay for a service, not actually be sharing it with anyone else or any competing devices in the house, but be noticeably, sometimes severely restrained by other people in your area on the same network

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "which is a lie and bullshit but whatever"
In response to Reply # 2

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:23 PM

22. "I worked for Comcast as a tech until early September."
In response to Reply # 6

I know their network policies backwards and forwards. Comcast does throttle customers and, in fact, have gotten complaints about it as well as an FCC investigation into their practices

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2350227/fcc-to-investigate-whether-verizon-and-comcast-are-throttling-netflix

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/29/technology/netflix-comcast/

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/netflix-performance-on-verizon-and-comcast-has-been-dropping-for-months/

So, what's bullshit about this again???

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:29 PM

23. "that you don't know what those words mean"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Jan-02-15 03:30 PM by Rjcc

and it has fuck all to do with cord cutting or anything else?

you just suggested that Comcast is throttling one service that it PARTIALLY OWNS and another one that it is a massive business partner with.

these things don't make any sense.

if you have specific info about the network policies that don't come from garbled blog posts, I'd love to hear it.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:43 PM

26. "for your simple mind..."
In response to Reply # 23

>and it has fuck all to do with cord cutting or anything
>else?
>
>you just suggested that Comcast is throttling one service that
>it PARTIALLY OWNS and another one that it is a massive
>business partner with.

What I said was that Comcast throttles streaming services, I didn't indicate WHICH one, I merely stated that they do, in fact, throttle it.

>
>these things don't make any sense.

Because Comcast's bread and butter is still their cable service it makes perfect sense. Owning a piece of a streaming company doesn't generate the revenue stream their cable service does so degrading that to get people to use their services is a no-brainer.

>
>if you have specific info about the network policies that
>don't come from garbled blog posts, I'd love to hear it.

I'm still under an NDA as well as a non-compete. I have to be vague for a reason. Appeasing YOU is not on my list of things to do. The information is out there, and it's not coming from "garbled blog posts" either.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0613/DOC-327634A1.pdf

If there wasn't a problem, or a perceived one, the FCC would not begin looking into the matter.

>
>www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

R.I.P. Disco D

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:47 PM

28. "so...you've got no information"
In response to Reply # 26

he listed HBO Go and Hulu.

your response is you weren't talking about those.

cool, you've got no relevant information, except a claim that you know something you can't tell.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 04:19 PM

32. "My response is general. "
In response to Reply # 28

>he listed HBO Go and Hulu.
>

Comcast doesn't discern between them. Neither does Verizon for that matter. The only ISP that also has a cable TV outlet that I know that doesn't really care is Cox. The only time Cox throttles you is when you have their absolute barebones internet service. Cox, from my personal experience, didn't give two shits about us streaming Hulu, Netflix, or any other service but that may be because I've always kept a business internet connection versus a residential connection so the two may be different.

>
>your response is you weren't talking about those.

See above

>
>cool, you've got no relevant information, except a claim that
>you know something you can't tell.

If you want to play stupid, fine, do you. The thing is, the evidence is out there, the FCC is in on it, and the documentation is all over the place yet you're still coming at ME as if I'm, somehow, taking Comcast money out of your pocket. Shit ain't just on blogs, it's on reputable news sites (Time, WSJ, CNN, etc) so miss me with all your bullshit duke.

FOH nigga, this "angry little man" internet personality schtick of yours has run its course. Try something else for a change.

R.I.P. Disco D

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 05:11 PM

33. "none of the stuff you're saying lines up"
In response to Reply # 32

I'm starting to think you really do't know what you're talking about. before, I thought you were just conflating different issues under one blanket term of "throttling"

now I think you really don't understand anything about how different services connect to ISPs. I have no idea what you did for Comcast, but I know what it wasn't.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 05:23 PM

34. "k"
In response to Reply # 33

R.I.P. Disco D

LittleTortilla
Charter member
25462 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 02:55 PM

5. "i never have buffering issues"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-02-15 02:55 PM by LittleTortilla

we use RCN which like a regional cable company. i think we still pay way too much for just internet and phone. but any savings is a plus.

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:04 PM

7. "you're not really a cord cutter if you have HBO Go"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-02-15 03:10 PM by Rjcc

because you have a subcsrip...oh

(you could have it with your ISP, sure)

but that your ISP is the one selling it just does more to show why the theory above about it getting throttled is so silly.

mostly, HBO isn't that good at the internet

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:07 PM

9. "April can't come soon enough"
In response to Reply # 7

I hope the service isn't too expensive. Will be cool if they offer complete access to old HBO shows though. I'll be in bliss if I have access to old Larry Sanders episodes.

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:10 PM

11. "RE: April can't come soon enough"
In response to Reply # 9

>Will be cool if they
>offer complete access to old HBO shows though. I'll be in
>bliss if I have access to old Larry Sanders episodes.

oddly enough that wasn't on hbo go last i checked, but it is on crackle, sony's free service

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:13 PM

17. "RE: April can't come soon enough"
In response to Reply # 11

>oddly enough that wasn't on hbo go last i checked, but it is
>on crackle, sony's free service

Say word. That's disappointing in the sense it isn't on HBO Go, but I'll have to check out Crackle when I get home. Thank you for this info. I haven't seen that show in years.

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:22 PM

21. "RE: April can't come soon enough"
In response to Reply # 17

>Say word. That's disappointing in the sense it isn't on HBO
>Go, but I'll have to check out Crackle when I get home. Thank
>you for this info. I haven't seen that show in years.

netflix used to stream the entire series but isn't currently. hbo go has a lot of the most popular hbo content but not much from before the sopranos. last year i watched the old george carlin hbo specials that were streaming not on hbo go but on netflix. it's kinda strange they license their legacy content to competitors and don't offer it on their own service, but i guess it's more niche oriented so it probably makes some business sense to them.

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:11 PM

12. "YOU DON'T KNOW ME, RJCC!"
In response to Reply # 7

How you know I'm not paying for my mama HBO, rjcc?

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:17 PM

19. "lol. you could at least mention what ISP you have"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Jan-02-15 03:39 PM by Rjcc

but yeah, if some stuff works, then you probably have a good connection.

for one of many reasons -- which could include your ISP and whatever distribution network those specific services use are fighting right now -- any specific service might not work so well.

the people you pay for internet are the ones you need to talk to

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:44 PM

27. "yup and when it gets to that kind of problem"
In response to Reply # 19
Fri Jan-02-15 03:44 PM by GriftyMcgrift

first and second level reps arent gonna have a clue. its gotta get up to their TAC group to check out that stuff.

unfortunately as it is with my company, for it to get to TAC it needs to be effecting multiple customers

but if the first and second levels tell all the customers "its not us its them" then those issues arent being documented and collected to send up to their real network guys.

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:47 PM

29. "pretty much. edit - you can always try changing your DNS servers"
In response to Reply # 27
Fri Jan-02-15 04:10 PM by Rjcc

sometimes that can fix (also possibly break) whatever CDN is being chosen and change what you're seeing.

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 04:12 PM

31. "yup, the only problem with that is if you are using a mobile device"
In response to Reply # 29

you may not have that much control over your network connection

and if its like my isp, we dont allow you to change DNS settings in our router. youd have to bridge it and use your own router.

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:11 PM

13. "either the product/service you are using is bogged down(the app)"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-02-15 03:12 PM by GriftyMcgrift

or there is a bottleneck somewhere in your ISP's network which could be all the way from your LAN to their hub/back bone network

most likely the bottleneck is in your neighbor hood at the fiber terminal that feeds that terminal. Alot of providers still arent even using a 10 gb pipe to that spot..

also could be in the handoff basically there is a network called the "edge" which is where isp' and other network's "talk" to each other.

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:12 PM

14. "I'm saying a SPECIFIC service buffers"
In response to Reply # 13

all the others stream smoothly

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts

15. "which is why i laid out more than one possibility"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Jan-02-15 03:16 PM by GriftyMcgrift

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:14 PM

18. "ah, gotcha"
In response to Reply # 15

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 03:19 PM

20. "its because there COULD be problems between your isp"
In response to Reply # 18

and the actual services (the apps) network.

which causes a HUGE problem

I had a similar problem with my job(i work for a very large ISP) where a set of IP's were routing everywhere but to this OTHER companies network.(this was a no route situation not a congestion issue)

It took a lot of pleading with various groups to get them to even acknowledge it

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28833 posts

16. "Try using a new router or increasing your internet speeds via ISP."
In response to Reply # 0

I have a computer, PS4, iphone, and NAS connected to my network. The NAS uses the 5 Ghz bandwith where the 4 and iphone share 2.4 wireless. My computer uses ethernet.

Hopefully that helps.

luminous
Charter member
12458 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 04:03 PM

30. "are you using Ethernet or Wi-Fi?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would recommend using ethernet.

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 05:39 PM

35. "Hulu stutters at my parent's crib"
In response to Reply # 0

no idea why. everything else streams perfectly

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16800 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 06:10 PM

36. "one word: ethernet"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Lobby General Discussion topic #12688754 Previous topic | Next topic