Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12686616

Subject: "Damn. my ex has a 4 year old that has two to three days of life left." Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44813 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 06:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Damn. my ex has a 4 year old that has two to three days of life left."

I dated my director’s daughter about ten years ago. I actually took her virginity (at age 24, mind you) and I was given the task of telling her mother- my boss and mentor- that I was the one who finally did that deed. We were that couple who was very compatible as human beings despite heading in very different directions in life.

We remained relatively close after our split, though at a distance if that makes sense. We had a particularly intense chemistry that would have lead to further sexual escapades and an on-and-off situation with a significantly more painful end. Thankfully, we maintained a piece of that bond with sufficient distance to prevent us from digging ourselves into relational hell, and we both found love and marriage elsewhere. We count ourselves as friends to this day.

Their firstborn was a boy who is happy and healthy to this day. Her second was a girl who was born with some sort of defect that gave her a couple of years to live.

On one hand, this is longer than she was projected to live. We’ve known this was coming from the beginning and once in awhile I’ll see the latest update on FB and there have been a few scares. This seems like the real deal, end of the line though. I don’t quite know what the problem was at birth as I’ve never actually asked. But she’s always been on a tube of some kind and as of now she’s lost 60% of her kidney functionality. Anyhow, my ex has been a champion of a mother from the start. It’s damn near textbook how she’s handled even today. We’re all born to die, but I cannot imagine birthing a child only to be tasked with carrying them through death from the very beginning.

I suppose I’d feel for anyone who endured this with their child, but damn if this doesn’t strike a particularly personal chord. Her mother was a mentor of mine and really gave me an opportunity that ultimately allowed me to have the job I have right today. We shared a relationship that is fondly remembered even if it didn’t quite work, and it fucking sucks to watch this unfold. Happy new year.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wow. Sorry to hear that, fam.
Dec 29th 2014
It’s surreal, like something out of a Lifetime movie.
Dec 29th 2014
That's really sad...sorry to hear that
Dec 29th 2014
Condolences man, damn
Dec 29th 2014
She passed way this evening.
Jan 01st 2015
God bless the litte baby and her family
Jan 01st 2015
RE: She passed way this evening.
Jan 01st 2015
Jesus Man, Truly Sorry
Jan 02nd 2015

daryloneal
Member since Jan 08th 2005
9267 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 06:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wow. Sorry to hear that, fam."
In response to Reply # 0

You're right, that's a rough situation for anyone to be put through.

It's hard enough for a woman to deal with a miscarriage, but to actually have the child knowing the entire time that that time will come is heartbreaking.

---
but have you ever checked out my website? www.dtaylorimages.com

Cold Truth
44813 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 07:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It’s surreal, like something out of a Lifetime movie. "
In response to Reply # 1

I’m the sort who looks at the world and believes people tend to buckle down and do what has to be done in these situations, but the way she’s conducted herself seems preternatural even by that standard. Obviously I’m not privy to private breakdowns and moments of complete weakness, but it just seems like she’s dealt with this in textbook fashion.

A small part of me feels (illogically, I suppose) guilty to some degree, since my FB content might as well be a shrine to my daughter and all her milestones and smiles while hers consists largely of her child making it another day/week/month/year. I’m posting with jubilance about my wife’s current pregnancy while she’s hoping and praying her child sees another Christmas while she still prepares for the inevitable.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 07:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "That's really sad...sorry to hear that"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 09:04 PM

4. "Condolences man, damn"
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
44813 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 10:27 PM

5. "She passed way this evening. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-01-15 10:27 PM by Cold Truth

They sent her home a couple nights ago to finish out her time with her family, and tonight was the night. It's remarkable how they handled the situation and the outpouring of love and support is a sight to behold, but man... what a terrible thing to have to endure.

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 11:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "God bless the litte baby and her family"
In response to Reply # 5

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 11:48 PM

7. "RE: She passed way this evening. "
In response to Reply # 5

I wish them peace. To have to go through something like this...no parent should ever have to. My heart truly goes out to them.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Jan-02-15 01:13 AM

8. "Jesus Man, Truly Sorry"
In response to Reply # 5

That's just a nightmare situation. I can't fathom how some parents have the strength to go through that. I'm truly blessed with my son.

Condolences to your friend fam

Lobby General Discussion topic #12686616 Previous topic | Next topic