Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12686364

Subject: "Louis Armstrong arrested as "suspicious & dangerous" age 9 in 1910" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Louis Armstrong arrested as "suspicious & dangerous" age 9 in 1910"
Mon Dec-29-14 03:26 PM by imcvspl

just to be clear this is prior to his arrest in 1913 for shooting a gun on new years eve. this was just a round-up.

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/12/our_times_the_louis_armstrong.html#incart_most-read

Down the street, between Gravier Street and Tulane Avenue, police put a stop to something else. Six boys were arrested there "for being dangerous and suspicious characters," according to a brief on page 4 of the following day's Daily Picayune.

"Detectives Charles Mellen, William Kennedy, John Dantonio and Patrolman Anthony Sabrier arrested Henry Smith, of Lafayette and Fulton; James Kent, of 338 Saratoga Street; Archie Anderson, of 631 Dryades Street; Willie Telfry, of 416 S. Franklin Street; Louis Armstrong, of Perdido, between Liberty and Franklin streets; and Eddie Moore, of Liberty, between Gravier and Perdido streets," the paper said.

Armstrong was 9.

over a hundred years and ain't a damn thing changed.

the whole article is interesting. though i must side against the we should be thankful for it because it led to him becoming the great trumpeter angle.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I ride for Pops all day, but they were shooting a gun off.
Dec 29th 2014
that was the second arrest and it was new years... everyone was
Dec 29th 2014
^^yep the Jazz documentary mentioned this in the 1st series - 'Little
Dec 29th 2014
      again that's 3 years later not what happened when he was 9
Dec 29th 2014
           Yep I read it was afterwards but still...Armstrong said himself he was a
Dec 29th 2014
           People read what they want, so they can create their own facts.
Dec 29th 2014
                RE: People read what they want, so they can create their own facts.
Dec 29th 2014
                     captain joseph jones was very black. manuela was creole.
Dec 29th 2014

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I ride for Pops all day, but they were shooting a gun off."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-29-14 03:20 PM by Teknontheou

That merits some kind of policing.

EDIT: I see this isn't the 1912 New Years Eve incident where they were shooting a gun.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that was the second arrest and it was new years... everyone was"
In response to Reply # 1

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:22 PM

3. "^^yep the Jazz documentary mentioned this in the 1st series - 'Little"
In response to Reply # 1

Louie' as he was called then was lickin off shots on New Years Eve I believe it was and was sent to the "colored waifs" home

If I see a 9 yr old shooting a gun, I'd considered his ass dangerous too lmao

>That merits some kind of policing.

grassrootsphilosopher

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:24 PM

4. "again that's 3 years later not what happened when he was 9"
In response to Reply # 3

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

vee-lover
20388 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:28 PM

5. "Yep I read it was afterwards but still...Armstrong said himself he was a"
In response to Reply # 4

troubled kid who got into lots of trouble because of his upbringing, so it's not unreasonable to believe he and the "bad boys" he ran with back then weren't up to something

The area he grew up in was called the "battlefield"

>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." � Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

grassrootsphilosopher

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "People read what they want, so they can create their own facts."
In response to Reply # 4

Also you have people not wanting to face the reality that White-America dislikes them in 2014 the same way it did in 1910.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Get 25% off www.karmaloop.com w/ rep code JR9103 |
Nike, G-Star, Herschel, Adidas (Men's & Women's clothing)

vee-lover
20388 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:47 PM

7. "RE: People read what they want, so they can create their own facts."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Dec-29-14 03:58 PM by vee-lover

>Also you have people not wanting to face the reality that
>White-America dislikes them in 2014 the same way it did in
>1910.

As hateful as some, a lot, of white ppl have historically been towards Negroes in America, we still shouldn't categorize race-relations between us and the dominant society as (all) "white-America" dislikes us...because it isn't and has never been ALL white ppl who were hostile to us

Take for instance, Louie Armstrong, who this post is abt, had it not been for a white family the world would've never gotten to know him as the greatest trumpeter ever - they bought him his first coronet and always encouraged him to continue to get better

That same white family also made sure he ate a home-cooked meal every night ...because they knew Armstrong came from a very broken home

And this was at a time when the country was nearly torn apart because of racism/slavery

grassrootsphilosopher

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:50 PM

8. "captain joseph jones was very black. manuela was creole."
In response to Reply # 7

their pics are in the slideshow in the original link.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Lobby General Discussion topic #12686364 Previous topic | Next topic