Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12677405

Subject: "This is the last week of Craig Ferguson's show " Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"This is the last week of Craig Ferguson's show "

And the new one won't start until Fall 2016.

But Geoffrey Peterson and Secretariat will be on the new show.

R.I.P. to the best late night show on television.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/craig-ferguson-leaving-late-late-show-cbs-desmond-tutu-video-1201326515/

Craig Ferguson’s ‘Crazy’ Desmond Tutu Talk Led Him To Leave Show
by Lisa de Moraes

December 16, 2014 6:50am

A liberating moment in a famous 2009 interview with Archbishop Desmond Tutu led to this moment of departure five years later, outgoing Late Late Show host Craig Ferguson said at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills last night, during a celebration of his show.

Ferguson, whose last night hosting the CBS late-night program airs this Friday, won a prestigious Peabody Award for that 2009 interview with the Nobel Peace Prize winner. The Peabody selection committee cited the critically acclaimed interview as proof that “one of the silliest hours on television (what with the trademark hand puppets and skeleton robots) could also be one of the smartest.”

Ferguson said Tutu told him during a commercial break, “I think you’re crazy.”

“This is a man who talked to some crazy motherf****rs,” Ferguson said. “He said to me, ‘You’re crazy – I don’t mean to be rude.’ I said, ‘I thank you, Father Tutu.’ He said, ‘No, you are crazy, but the type of crazy we need.’ And, this is not your agent, you know, he’s not like, ‘Keep doing the crazy thing!’ It’s Desmond Tutu saying ‘Be as authentically crazy as you are.’ It was kind of like God saying ‘Just be as crazy as you like.’ I felt weirdly released by that.”

“Then, ultimately, that leads to me not doing the show,” Ferguson explained in last night’s talk moderated by actor/writer Jim Rash of Community.

When Ferguson became host, “Peter and I spent a lot of time discussing whether or not I should wear a tie. And it was important at the time. I celebrated the format. I loved the format. But, for me, it’s constrictive. It has a limit…I’ve reached all the corners of this box and I have to change boxes.”

“CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much,” Ferguson said when he announced April 28 that he would leave the show.

After the announcement, Bill Maher tweeted that he thought CBS and the media had treated Ferguson “shabbily,” while Dave Letterman praised Ferguson’s program, saying, “I’m telling you, to be unique in the world of television – virtually impossible.”

But viewers who had expected Dave to in some way acknowledge that Ferguson made this show for Letterman’s Worldwide Pants production company for many years came away baffled; Dave appeared to be detached, mostly reading from a prepared statement written on a cue card, delivered as if he were unfamiliar with the particulars.

It’s been reported Ferguson will next do a half-hour first-run comedy talk show for Tribune Media that will air in prime access. Ferguson plans to take his robot skeleton Geoff Peterson sidekick with him — and Josh Robert Thompson, who does the robot voice.

Last night, Ferguson praised the comic for turning the robot – originally a snarky statement about the uselessness of late-night talk-show sidekicks – into the practically perfect late-night talk show sidekick. Also expected to join Ferguson in his new show: Secretariat the pantomime horse, and his longtime showrunner Michael Naidus. It’s expected that the new show, which will target a fall 2016 launch, will be shot in Los Angeles.

Ferguson famously stopped using prepared questions for guests, he said, after “I realized I was glassing over as people were talking. It wasn’t that they weren’t interesting, it was just that I wasn’t asking them questions I was interested in the answers to…asking what it was like working on this movie. I didn’t f***ing care.”

Dumping the safe questions meant many potential guests had to get over their fear of his interview style, but eventually they warmed to it, he said.

“I think that took while for people to understand,” Ferguson said. “I think I’m a very good hooker — I get a lot of repeat customers.”

Ditto the extensive notes producers gave him about that night’s guests.

“The truth is, I think I’m a very impatient person and not good with preparation. They used to give me three pages on a guest and I said, ‘I’m not reading this Russian novel – just print out the Wikipedia thing’.”

“Over time I realized I didn’t fit, and, in trying to fit, I was making myself uncomfortable.”

The storyline of the new late-night show host who had dreamed of getting the gig since childhood “is not my story,” he said. “I’m not a very good actor. To continue to tell a story about yourself that isn’t true – I was just, ‘Oh, f*** it.'”

In September CBS announced it had cast James Corden to replace Ferguson as host of Late Late Show. Jay Leno will be Ferguson’s final guest, airing Friday.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DAMN, first Stephen, now Craig????
Dec 16th 2014
Stephen Colbert?
Dec 16th 2014
Colbert is taking Letterman's spot next year.
Dec 16th 2014
the episode where he eulogized his father is a classic
Dec 17th 2014
Please tell me there's some photoshop there.
Dec 17th 2014
I always make that McCartney/Lansbury joke and no one gets it
Dec 17th 2014
I wish I would have watched it even more but the cool thing is ...
Dec 17th 2014
Second to Last Show with "Geoffrey Peterson" revealed
Dec 19th 2014
The Craig Ferguson's show is that real good Funny!
Dec 19th 2014

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "DAMN, first Stephen, now Craig????"
In response to Reply # 0

NOOOOOOOOOOO

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 05:55 PM

2. "Stephen Colbert?"
In response to Reply # 1

isn't he going TO late night?

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 06:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Colbert is taking Letterman's spot next year."
In response to Reply # 1

Letterman will leave his show in the coming months. Colbert is leaving CC to prepare his CBS show.

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 01:16 AM

4. "the episode where he eulogized his father is a classic"
In response to Reply # 0

ill miss the enduring paul mccartney gag. "do we have a picture of paul mccartney?"

http://asset-5.soup.io/asset/3869/1966_5bc6.png

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 03:43 AM

5. "Please tell me there's some photoshop there."
In response to Reply # 4

Cause she is making 100% Paul mouth.

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 09:12 AM

6. "I always make that McCartney/Lansbury joke and no one gets it"
In response to Reply # 4

They look a lot alike.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Dec-17-14 09:14 AM

7. "I wish I would have watched it even more but the cool thing is ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-17-14 09:14 AM by ConcreteCharlie

his show was not dated; i could go back and watch old ones. like the interviews weren't just schlocking whatever shit the guest had just done. a lot of times they didn't plug anything, i remember one with john waters where he hadn't even made a movie recently. they were TALKING and making jokes, not just waiting to roll a clip. he was so fluid and could have done the show without a studio audience (and we know how minimal everything else was). he was like the anti-leno, and by that i guess i mean he was actually funny.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 05:06 PM

8. "Second to Last Show with "Geoffrey Peterson" revealed"
In response to Reply # 0

For those who don't know who does the voice of "Geoff" and everyone else on the show.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_late_show/video/9EOCD9_dRT0humnImCaT10inhLnn_NEp/the-late-late-show-12-18-2014/

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 05:07 PM

9. "The Craig Ferguson's show is that real good Funny! "
In response to Reply # 0

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."

Lobby General Discussion topic #12677405 Previous topic | Next topic