Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12676876

Subject: "Jeb Bush wins the election in 2016. You..." Previous topic | Next topic
Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Jeb Bush wins the election in 2016. You..."

Jeb Bush to ‘Actively Explore’ Run for President

http://www.wsj.com/articles/jeb-bush-to-actively-explore-run-for-president-1418743577?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Poll result (33 votes)
Pack my shit for Sweden. (3 votes)Vote
Stock up on ammo and canned food. (2 votes)Vote
Riot in the %^ing streets. (0 votes)Vote
Join the GOP because fuck it, they could rape a newborn on national television and somehow still win an election, and that's magic. (1 votes)Vote
Kick rocks and post on the internet. (25 votes)Vote
Other, please specify. (2 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
seafoam.
Dec 16th 2014
Bush vs Clinton
Dec 16th 2014
I have said it on this site half dozen times that this vampire is runnin...
Dec 16th 2014
I feel like the family is still running the show
Dec 16th 2014
There really isn't that much difference between Bush and Clinton
Dec 16th 2014
A counterpoint to that...
Dec 16th 2014
      yeah the right is extreme as fuck
Mar 24th 2015
go on w/life.
Dec 16th 2014
yep
Dec 16th 2014
Salon article on this muhphucka:
Mar 24th 2015
Cyan.
Mar 24th 2015
i'm moving to another one of the continents in Africa
Mar 24th 2015
I remember how much fervor we all had when W was running.
Mar 24th 2015
Ain't nobody going to do anything but go to work the next day
Mar 24th 2015
brace myself for war in Iran and the fulfillment of NeoCon destiny
Mar 24th 2015
wonder if his wife will get the trolled by the idiot bigot brigade
Mar 24th 2015
and clearly she's "better" than her counterparts for marrying white
Mar 24th 2015
yeah that too
Mar 24th 2015
No other profile pick makes me happier. Love that girl.
Mar 24th 2015
      yea shes dope
Mar 24th 2015
wake up from the nightmare because this won't happen.
Mar 24th 2015
Use Kryptonite to form new land mass in the middle of the Atlantic
Mar 24th 2015
complain.
Mar 24th 2015
Start BLACK FOX NEWS
Mar 24th 2015

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "seafoam."
In response to Reply # 0

i'll be pissy but i ain't going anywhere or prepping for armageddon.

i still blame hip-hop.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Bush vs Clinton"
In response to Reply # 0

They making sure we get one of these fams next time around.

What type of shit is this?

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I have said it on this site half dozen times that this vampire is runnin..."
In response to Reply # 0

Social Security is in peril for sure...but if he gets in, its a wrap.

That in and of itself is enough to want to make sure he doesn't win.

------------------
One Hundred.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:11 PM

4. "I feel like the family is still running the show "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-16-14 12:11 PM by Atillah Moor

And has been since around Kennedy if not since Prescott becoming a senator in 52

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:19 PM

5. "There really isn't that much difference between Bush and Clinton"
In response to Reply # 0

And I am not making the standard there are no differences between GOP and Democrats argument because there are.

It's just that Hillary will run as a right leaning democrat and Jeb comes off as a moderate republican.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:41 PM

7. "A counterpoint to that..."
In response to Reply # 5

I agree, Bush & Hillary will move to the center if they get their parties' nominations. But I don't really think Bush is that moderate. He may come off as more thoughtful & considerate than your average GOPer but that's partly because the GOP was swung so far to the right in recent years.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/adam-c-smith-jeb-bush-a-moderate-squish-florida-knows-different/2209187

Adam C. Smith: Jeb Bush, a moderate squish? Florida knows different

Respected Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley told the Washington Examiner recently that Jeb Bush is the latest in a line of Bushes who oppose Reaganism. Radio host Mark Levin has dismissed Florida's former governor as "a very good moderate Democrat," while pioneering conservative activist Richard Viguerie for at least two years has been trashing Bush as a dangerous, big government Republican.

Meanwhile, much of the speculation about the 2016 presidential race lately centers on whether a moderate is a viable contender for the Republican nomination.

Jeb Bush, a moderate squish?

The governor who treated trial lawyers and teachers union leaders as enemies of the state? Who stripped job protections from civil servants? Who slashed taxes? Whose passion for privatization included enacting the nation's first statewide private school voucher program and extended to privatizing health care for the poor, prisons and child protection services?

This "very good moderate Democrat" defied court after court to try to force the reinsertion of feeding tubes for brain-damaged Terri Schia­vo and consistently backed more restrictions on abortions and fewer on gun ownership. He fought for reduced entitlement spending and, deriding nanny-state impulses, repealed the helmet law for motorcyclists in Florida and vetoed a GOP-backed bill requiring booster seats for kids in cars.

"For us who live in Florida, who experienced the eight-year Jeb Bush governorship, it's almost laughable and maybe even hysterical for people who live outside of Florida to claim that he's a moderate," said former House Speaker Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, himself a conservative Republican who led the opposition to Florida accepting federal money to expand Medicaid to more than 800,000 people.

"This is a guy who probably has as conservative a record as governor as anybody I've ever seen," Weatherford said, "and he has one of the most successful records as governor of anybody I've ever seen."

The specious perception of Bush outside of Florida reflects both a fundamental misunderstanding of the man, probably due to assumptions based on the presidential records of his father and brother, and also how far rightward the Republican Party has shifted since Bush left the Governor's Mansion in 2007.

"He is thoughtful and informed, but there is nothing liberal about Jeb Bush. He is an arch-conservative," said Dan Gelber, who as a Democratic leader in the Legislature respectfully and constantly fought most of Bush's agenda. "He might have been moderate now and again, but even then it was probably by accident."

Bush was not just a successful Republican governor politically; He was a conservative activist governor who relished pushing the envelope on policy. Conservative activists elsewhere may revile the Bush name, but in America's biggest battleground state this Bush is like a Milton Friedman or Barry Goldwater in terms of promoting conservatism.

"(The) mere fact that he was able to propose and implement a sweeping change in Florida government during his two terms remains a notable achievement in state governance. It is also a notable achievement for the conservative movement, because Bush showed that conservatives could do more than offer tax cuts; they could also change government in fundamental ways," University of North Florida political scientist Matthew Corrigan writes in his new book, Conservative Hurricane: How Jeb Bush Remade Florida.

And yet Bush, 61, may be too moderate to win over today's GOP primary voters.

Bush himself acknowledged as much last week when he suggested a successful Republican presidential candidate likely has to antagonize much of the party's base, or "lose the primary to win the general."

That's because Jeb Bush, whether or not he is at heart more of a Reagan Republican than a George W. Bush Republican, holds positions on immigration reform and education that are toxic in a Republican primary.

When Bush governed Florida from 1999 to 2007, immigration reform was a minor issue here and nationally.

It's a different world now. Mitt Romney helped kill Texas Gov. Rick Perry's candidacy by bludgeoning him as soft on undocumented immigrants, and Marco Rubio is still trying to recover after embracing a pathway to citizenship in the Senate.

Likewise, back when Gov. Bush was at the vanguard of pressing for greater education accountability — and more private school vouchers — virtually every conservative political figure was on the same page.

Today, the Common Core education standards adopted by more than 40 states are widely vilified by Republican activists, as well as by former Common Core supporters considering presidential campaigns like Rubio and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Bush is expected to make a decision on running in the coming weeks, but he looks and sounds like a candidate. And strange as it may seem for those who know him best to think of him as a moderate, staking out that space may be the right path for him to win the nomination.

With so many other potentially formidable conservative candidates — Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Perry, to name just some of the prospects — campaigning as the competent pragmatist willing to "lose the primary," so to speak, could pull it off.

"If there's multiple people in the race, you don't need 51 percent to win," noted former Pinellas County state Sen. Dennis Jones, who was an endangered breed, a moderate Republican, after Bush took over the Florida GOP and often butted heads with him.

Jones, though, hopes Bush runs.

"Jeb certainly was a lot more conservative than I was, but I know him to be a real tough thinker, and I always respected him for the fact he never needed a poll to tell him what his position would be and you never needed to worry about him keeping that position," Jones said. "When he brought a plan forward, he was down in the weeds and working with people to make sure it was going to be successful."

But even Bush's bona fides as a fiscal conservative are under attack because he has refused to pledge never to raise taxes under any circumstance.

All eight Republicans running for the 2012 Republican nomination said they would oppose any tax increase even if it was part of a deficit reduction package that included 10 parts of spending cuts for every $1 in tax increases. At a congressional hearing in 2012, Jeb Bush disagreed.

"If you could bring to me a majority of people to say that we're going to have $10 in spending cuts for $1 of revenue enhancement — put me in, coach," said Bush, who also explained why he never signed an Americans for Tax Reform pledge to never raise taxes.

"Republicans were all holding out on not raising taxes, and he was a guy from Florida, a former, washed-up politician from Florida not involved in that fight … and he jumps in says, 'I'd raise taxes.' You're either part of the team and you want to be leader of the team, or you want to be something else. His dad decided to be something else," Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform told the Wall Street Journal last week, referring to George H.W. Bush's broken "no new taxes" vow.

Yep, times have changed.

In late 2006, Norquist told the Palm Beach Post that Jeb Bush was America's best governor: "He should change his name and run for president."

Contact Adam C. Smith at asmith@tampabay.com. Follow @adamsmithtimes.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:08 AM

13. "yeah the right is extreme as fuck"
In response to Reply # 7

its not equivalent in the damn least

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "go on w/life."
In response to Reply # 0

if anything i get ready for 2020.

fuck you.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:01 PM

8. "yep"
In response to Reply # 6

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 01:51 AM

9. "Salon article on this muhphucka:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/11/jeb_bushs_damning_secret_history_partner/

Whenever the deep thinkers of the Republican establishment glance at their bulging clown car of presidential hopefuls — with out-there Dr. Ben Carson, exorcist Bobby Jindal, loudmouth Chris Christie and bankruptcy expert Donald Trump jammed against Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, to name a few — they inevitably start chattering about “Jeb Bush.”

Never mind that his father was a one-term wonder of no great distinction or that his brother is already a serious contender, in the eyes of historians, for worst president of the past 100 years. And never mind that on the issues most controversial among party activists — immigration and Common Core educational standards — he is an accursed “moderate.”

Lacking any especially attractive alternative, powerful Republicans are pushing Bush to run in 2016. And he seems to be on the cusp of a decision. Besides, more than a few Democrats agree that Bush, however damaged his family brand, would be the most formidable candidate available to the GOP. They, too, whisper about him as “the only one who could beat Hillary Clinton.”

Perhaps he could, although nearly all the polling data so far suggest Clinton would trounce Bush. But it is far too early to tell — in part because Bush, a politician who has been around for more than 20 years, is so little-known to the American public. Most voters are ignorant about Bush’s record in Florida, where he was an exceptionally right-wing governor. They either don’t know or don’t remember, for example, how he signed a statute enabling him to intervene in the case of Terri Schiavo, a woman in a persistent vegetative state, despite her husband’s wishes. Florida’s highest court later voided that law as unconstitutional — and the conservative majority on the U.S. Supreme Court likewise rejected an appeal.

If Bush runs, extremism and corruption in the Sunshine State during his tenure will provide ample fodder for investigative reporters and primary opponents, as will many episodes in his long business career.

Five months after he left the governor’s mansion in 2007, he joined Lehman Brothers as a “consultant.” No doubt he was well-compensated, as reporters may learn if and when he releases his tax returns someday. The following year, Lehman infamously went bust — and left the state of Florida holding about $1 billion worth of bad mortgage investments. (A Bush spokeswoman said, “His role as a consultant to Lehman Brothers was in no way related to any Florida investments.”)
Other stories recommended for you

There are many equally fascinating chapters in the Jeb dossier, rooted in his declaration three decades ago that he intended to become “very wealthy” as a developer and, yes, a “consultant.” His partners back then included a certain Miguel Recarey, whose International Medical Centers allegedly perpetrated one of history’s biggest Medicare frauds. (Connection to Medicare fraud seems to be a prerequisite to becoming governor of Florida, at least among Republicans; see Rick Scott and the Columbia/HCA Healthcare scam.) Indicted by the feds, Recarey fled the country — but not before Jeb placed a call on his behalf to his presidential dad’s health and human services secretary, Margaret Heckler. For serving as the flunky of a crook, he received a generous tip of $75,000 from Recarey, a mob associate.

He performed a similar service, with more success, on behalf of the Cuban militant Orlando Bosch, for whom he sought a presidential pardon from his father. The boastful murderer of dozens of innocent people — and a prosecution target of the U.S. Justice Department — Bosch deserved a pardon about as much as the worst jihadi in Gitmo. But his sponsors were the same Cuban-Americans in Miami who had fostered Jeb’s real estate business there, so he ignored the Republican attorney general’s denunciation of Bosch as an “unreformed terrorist.”

If Jeb runs for president, it will be fascinating to see whether the mainstream press, which vetted his brother George W. so inadequately during the 2000 presidential race, performs any better this time. But one way or another, American voters are going to learn much more about front-runner Jeb than they know — or remember — today.

------------------
One Hundred.

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 02:53 AM

10. "Cyan. "
In response to Reply # 0

* shrug *

iKilan
Member since Nov 01st 2004
66873 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 08:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "i'm moving to another one of the continents in Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

<-- exits a post like...

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 08:35 AM

12. "I remember how much fervor we all had when W was running."
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone was ready to move to Canada.
No one did.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:15 AM

14. "Ain't nobody going to do anything but go to work the next day"
In response to Reply # 0

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "brace myself for war in Iran and the fulfillment of NeoCon destiny"
In response to Reply # 0

-->

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:22 AM

16. "wonder if his wife will get the trolled by the idiot bigot brigade"
In response to Reply # 0

for being a mexican, the way Michelle gets trolled by.

I suspect not since hes Repub and most news outlets are Repub owned.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:25 AM

17. "and clearly she's "better" than her counterparts for marrying white"
In response to Reply # 16

wluv
4362 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:31 AM

18. "yeah that too"
In response to Reply # 17

funny how that works, isnt it?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 11:20 AM

21. "No other profile pick makes me happier. Love that girl. "
In response to Reply # 16

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

wluv
4362 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 11:36 AM

24. "yea shes dope"
In response to Reply # 21

been in love with her for a min

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 11:02 AM

19. "wake up from the nightmare because this won't happen."
In response to Reply # 0

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 11:08 AM

20. "Use Kryptonite to form new land mass in the middle of the Atlantic"
In response to Reply # 0

become the ruler of new landmass, stab superman.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 11:28 AM

22. "complain."
In response to Reply # 0

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 11:31 AM

23. "Start BLACK FOX NEWS"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12676876 Previous topic | Next topic