Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12676596

Subject: "Who's ever got an Unexpected Check in the mail?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who's ever got an Unexpected Check in the mail?"
Tue Dec-16-14 09:51 AM by Case_One

I use to be like, man when am I gonna get one of those Unexpected Checks in the mail that I can go an give a Praise Report about to some church members.

Well, after checking the mail, I found a New Your Life envelop and inside was a $523.03 check for a closed out 401K account that I had closed along time ago. And Its' REAL! WOW!

The tripped out part was that I was about to rip and toss that jank into the trash because the account was already rolled over to my Fidelity account last year. I though it was junk mail. I'm glad I chilled on the rip-n-tear,... LOL

EDIT: But best believe, I'm going to deposit it into my Fidelity Managed account today. I'm not taking any penalties.

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i did around Thanksgiving. I check the mail the monday after the
Dec 16th 2014
Whoa! That's Sweet!
Dec 16th 2014
my wife kept receiving checks from a University she no longer
Dec 16th 2014
Yeah, that's gotta hurt..
Dec 16th 2014
A plumber I dated got a check for an extra 30k from Harvard...
Dec 16th 2014
      LOL..
Dec 16th 2014
      I was going to say no until I read this post
Dec 16th 2014
RE: Who's ever got an Unexpected Check in the mail?
Dec 16th 2014
Was that Primerica?
Dec 16th 2014
      RE: Was that Primerica?
Dec 16th 2014
A job I had back in 2011 sent me commission checks for like a year after...
Dec 16th 2014
You sold it, you earned it!
Dec 16th 2014
Yesterday I went to pick up a check from an old hsa
Dec 16th 2014
Best check ever was in college
Dec 16th 2014
Got one from my mortgage company last month
Dec 16th 2014
So what did you do with that loot?
Dec 16th 2014
      Paid it on the mortgage
Dec 16th 2014
Right before Christmas 2012, it started.
Dec 16th 2014
that's no nice
Dec 16th 2014
WOW!!!!
Dec 16th 2014
I've gotten probably 7-8 this year
Dec 16th 2014
Right around the time my son was about to be born.
Dec 16th 2014
Amen. His timing is perfect.
Dec 16th 2014
From apple on a warranty settlement for iPod touches from
Dec 16th 2014
a couple times, and they where all less than $2
Dec 16th 2014
<----- finagled 10.5K from the financial aid office....
Dec 16th 2014
mine was definitely God sent
Dec 16th 2014

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i did around Thanksgiving. I check the mail the monday after the "
In response to Reply # 0

holiday. I hadnt checked it since tuesday before the holiday.
I'm going through all of it, and I'm getting pissed off because I recived yet another speed cam ticket.
I open a letter from united health care and I'm thiking its just an explanation of benefits. I look at the second page and its a check for 1990 and some change.

Here's the kicker...

I left the envelope in my car for 2 days. I go bakc to it about to deposit it and THERE'S ANOTHER CHECK IN THERE FOR OVER 900.

I look at it and it is payment to me for out of network expenses.
So before I deposit, I call my provider to see if I owe them the amounts in the checks, plus out of pocket costs.
They said I owe them 240 dollars and that's it. Apparently, my doctor made mad adjustments to my bill and out of all of it I only owe 240.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 10:28 AM

2. "Whoa! That's Sweet! "
In response to Reply # 1

Man.. I know that you are feeling good!!!!

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79559 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 10:34 AM

3. "my wife kept receiving checks from a University she no longer"
In response to Reply # 0

she contacted them a nd they corrected the error but then they sent h 3 r 2 more checks.

they just contacted her to let her know they caught the error. Sho didn't spend the money but man, it still hurts.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 10:44 AM

4. "Yeah, that's gotta hurt.. "
In response to Reply # 3

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:44 AM

6. "A plumber I dated got a check for an extra 30k from Harvard..."
In response to Reply # 3

For some work he did. The first time he sent it back. The second time he kept it.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:45 AM

8. "LOL.. "
In response to Reply # 6

>For some work he did. The first time he sent it back. The
>second time he kept it.

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "I was going to say no until I read this post"
In response to Reply # 6

Last week, a client sent me a check for work I did for them a few months ago.
I been done cashed THAT check
but i guess they figure they didn't pay me so they sent another check
i aint cashed it (yet)
but i will contact them and see how this shakes out

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:18 AM

5. "RE: Who's ever got an Unexpected Check in the mail?"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to sell insurance and before I stopped i helped recruit a dude into the business..

one day I check my mail and there is a check for 220 and its from the insurance company so i figured it was a residual or something..

then a few days later another check 100. then i get a check for 700 and it was like YOOO!!!! I called them because I didnt want them to do me like an old sitcom...

they were legit.. but alas ... he stopped selling so my golden goose flew south...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:44 AM

7. "Was that Primerica?"
In response to Reply # 5

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:23 PM

18. "RE: Was that Primerica?"
In response to Reply # 7

No sir

it was the DUCK!!!!!

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Very-Effortless
Member since May 07th 2011
7452 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:47 AM

9. "A job I had back in 2011 sent me commission checks for like a year after..."
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe like $1500 worth.

They fucked up and left me as the sales person on some acccounts after I left so I kept getting paid the commission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:49 AM

10. "You sold it, you earned it! "
In response to Reply # 9

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:53 AM

11. "Yesterday I went to pick up a check from an old hsa "
In response to Reply # 0

At my old job. It was for 145. After 2 yrs it apparently converts to a regular account. Also last week someone hit my car and knocked the trim off the side door and I got a check for $2600. The first estimate I got was for $1500. So I was very pleased when I took it to the other drivers insurance company and their repair guy said $2600 and cut me a check on the spot. It's a 10 yr old car (sonata) I paid $4000 for. I could glue the trim back on and it would look about the same. I will probably spend a few hundred fixing it up though.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79559 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 11:53 AM

12. "Best check ever was in college"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to work for the intramural sports dept. Reffing games and shit.

All was good until I umped a softball game between 2 white frats.

Fuck that shit.. so I bailed on that job. I was broke as shit, someone stole my clothes out the dryer and I get a call from accounting telling me I had $700 worth of checks.

Cashed them bitches and went down to the sports dept. like I ain't never left and one of the dudes I worked with told me he filled out my time sheets for me.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:28 PM

13. "Got one from my mortgage company last month"
In response to Reply # 0

Property tax by over $1000. Escrow account was overpaid.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:04 PM

15. "So what did you do with that loot?"
In response to Reply # 13

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:10 PM

17. "Paid it on the mortgage"
In response to Reply # 15

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Right before Christmas 2012, it started."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-16-14 12:50 PM by Brew

My great Aunt's brother (who I guess would be a great Uncle to me, but I wasn't as close with him) passed away that fall. He had historically handled all her finances and bills for her since her husband passed in the 80s, so when he died she sat down with the company one of my cousins works at to kinda get her affairs in order and figure out how to handle things going forward, since she really never had her own hands on the process.

In going over her portfolio, they found a trust fund with hundreds of thousands of dollars that had kinda just ... sat there collecting dough since my great Aunt's own parents died way way way back. Her head exploded.

Being the selfless, amazing individual she is, rather than sitting on the money or giving it to charity or something, she decided to be charitable to all her nieces and nephews. She never had children of her own, so she didn't have anyone to will it to when her day (hopefully never) comes.

So anyway.....it's holiday season 2012. I had spent one of my 3 (so far) summers renting a house in Newport RI, and Christmas costs were piling up so I was ironically, right around that time, kinda re-evaluating my own finances to try and catch back up with all I had spent and continued to spend. I wasn't broke by any means, I do really well at my job but my spending had just gotten out of control.

So imagine my surprise when I grab my mail that December day to see an envelope from some bank's trust, not having any idea where it came from and suspecting it as junk mail. I (thankfully) opened it up just to be sure, and BOOM, $13,000.00. On a check. With my name on it. Still suspecting some kind of scam, I read through every single word of the check and the enclosed letter. It was a gift from her trust that she decided to just spread out to all her nieces and nephews, and she gave the highest amount allowed under Uncle Sam's "gift tax" law so it would remain untaxable income.

Come February 2013, another check, this time for $14,000.00 came through. Same deal in January 2014. And if I'm reading her correctly, another check will be coming through January 2015.

Needless to say I have showered that woman with endless visits, gifts, calls, etc., whatever she needs to keep her going. She just turned 90 in August. She has always been wildly important to me so this just adds to her magic. I wasn't in desperate need of funds or anything like I said, but just having that financial cushion to invest, or buy a crib, or a car, or whatever, has been pretty fucking awesome.

So yea ... that was unexpected. Haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:06 PM

16. "that's no nice"
In response to Reply # 14

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:24 PM

19. "WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 14

bayoubyyou
Member since Nov 06th 2005
17776 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:27 PM

20. "I've gotten probably 7-8 this year"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of overpayments

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:39 PM

21. "Right around the time my son was about to be born."
In response to Reply # 0

I went online to pay my mortgage and saw that the payment due was lower than usual. Had me wondering what was going on so I snooped around my account and saw something about a payment sent to me on the previous month. I hadn't seen any payment and called the bank to make sure there was no mistake with my mortgage. Last thing I need to hear later in the year is "Mr. Wordsmith, we corrected an error with your monthly charges. You owe us...."

Come to find out I was over paying and that they sent a check for the difference. When I told them I saw no check, they looked and found that it had never been cashed. They canceled it and sent me another one. It came in handy because I had to stay a week out of work to help my wife who spent that week at the hospital. God Almighty came through right on time because my punk job at the time didn't give sick pay to hourly workers.

Since 1976

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:58 PM

22. "Amen. His timing is perfect. "
In response to Reply # 21

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 02:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "From apple on a warranty settlement for iPod touches from"
In response to Reply # 0

Years ago.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 02:40 PM

24. "a couple times, and they where all less than $2"
In response to Reply # 0

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 02:44 PM

25. "<----- finagled 10.5K from the financial aid office...."
In response to Reply # 0

I spent $100 on dogecoin hoping all 574,878 shares turn into money in four years. If the price rises to $20 I've made $11.5 million. <--- This number gets astronomical if it reaches bitcoin price levels. That's goodbye world money.

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 03:13 PM

26. "mine was definitely God sent"
In response to Reply # 0

i was going from getting paid weekly
at one job
to monthly from another job

you can imagine my finances was all jacked up
so anyway
in the mist of that
i was going away to capture my friends
marriage in Dominican Republic

so how about a few week before
the trip