Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12676111

Subject: "Forbes: Sony Makes More Movies w Black Actors Than Any Other Studio (sw)" Previous topic | Next topic
b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Forbes: Sony Makes More Movies w Black Actors Than Any Other Studio (sw)"
Mon Dec-15-14 04:26 PM by b.Touch

This is fallout from the Sony Pictures data leak, specifically an email chain where Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal jokes with film producer Scott Rudin about our Negro President apparently only liking Negro films. I'd say it deserves its own post, because it's an in-depth analysis of shit we talk about here all the time beyond just the movies fronted by the Torch Lady/Pegasus/"S from Hell". If it gets locked, I'll move it into the big one.

This article is essentially trying to say "see? Pascal's not racist! Look at all these black movies she greenlit" with a coating of presumed "ambiguity" (my initial thought balloon after reading the last paragraph was "y'all tried it"), but yet and still, my wonder is not so much in what's being made as it is what discussions are being had when it comes time to market and promote these films.

Could some of these films legitimately do better if they were not marketed as if only black folks ought to go see them, if they got (even slightly) better date-placements, and if there wasn't so much hem and haw about if, when, and where to send them to the overseas distributors.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/15/sony-makes-more-black-centric-films-than-any-other-studio/

FWIW, Sony Makes More Movies Starring Black Actors Than Any Other Studio
Comment Now
This is not going to be a piece about whether or not leaked jokey emails between Sony executives discussing whether nor not President Barack Obama would like Django Unchained or is a Kevin Hart fan qualify as racially-insensitive and/or are signs that the executives themselves are in-fact racist. For what it’s worth, I would be slightly annoyed but not overly offended if someone wondered behind closed doors what I thought of This is Where I Leave You or Wish I Was Here, but I’m not naive enough to presume the two situations identical.

Personally I’d rather know what the Commander-In-Chief thought of Zero Dark Thirty, Star Trek Into Darkness, White House Down, and/or Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but I digress. Let’s assume, purely for the purposes of this discussion, that the email conversation was racially insensitive if not outright racist, and that the comments leave open the possibility to judge the overall racial attitudes of the people who made them. Now assuming as much, we find ourselves in an interesting predicament. It would be easy to highlight said informal emails as more proof that Hollywood is run by very powerful (mostly white) people who in-fact are not as racially enlightened as they might like to believe. That’s a fair charge, but to what extent do we judge actions as opposed to words? Because, at least over the last three years, Sony Pictures has produced and/or distributed a larger percentage of Hollywood’s total black-centric mainstream theatrical output than any other studio.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Over the last three years, Sony has distributed twelve films that featured prominent black leading men and women. They released Think Like A Man, Men In Black III, and Sparkle in 2012, The Call, After Earth, White House Down, and Battle of the Year in 2013, and then About Last Night, Think Like A Man Too, No Good Deed, The Equalizer, and the upcoming remake of Annie in 2014 (review dropping Wednesday). That’s twelve feature films in mainstream theatrical release over 2012, 2013, and 2014, with five of those films dropping just this year. For the sake of this discussion, and under the notion that I constantly champion the idea that we need more mainstream films starring black actors that aren’t about race (Soul Plane is as important as Rosewood), let’s make the simplistic conclusion that “starring black people” = “black-centric movie.” Because Sony still leads the pack among the major studios by a lot.

Warner Bros. (Time Warner Inc.) offered Joyful Noise (starring Queen Latifah and Keke Palmer) way back in January 2012 and then offered Journey 2: The Mysterious Island which starred Dwayne Johnson. By the way, the presence of Dwayne Johnson, who is half black, half Samoan, as a movie star will account for much of Hollywood’s output going through these respective studio slates. Halle Berry was one of the handful of uncontested leading roles in Cloud Atlas and Warner kicked off 2013 by releasing the Jackie Robinson biopic 42. After that, it’s basically this October’s The Good Lie, which concerned Sudanese refugees but was wholly sold as a Reese Witherspoon vehicle and never reached more than 461 theaters. So bending over backwards, they get five titles in three years.

Walt Disney closed out this summer with the “Indian chefs trying to make it in France” drama The One-Hundred Foot Journey and the explicitly multiracial animated adventure Big Hero 6. But otherwise, if we’re specifically talking about black actors for whom the film revolves around, they haven’t distributed a film remotely featuring an actor of color in a lead role since The Help in August 2011. Now to be fair, Disney generally releases a lot fewer movies in a given year than say, Warner Bros., and most of them tend to be animated and/or mega-budget tent poles, for what that’s worth.

20th Century Fox opened 2012 with George Lucas’s Tuskegee airmen drama Red Tails and then ended the year with the Viola Davis/Maggie Gyllenhaal public education drama Won’t Back Down. 2013 brought not a single Fox release which starred a black actor while 2014 brought only Let’s Be Cops (co-starring Damon Wayans Jr.). Now if we add Fox Searchlight, which is an indie offshoot of Fox, we get Beasts of the Southern Wild in 2012, Baggage Claim, 12 Years A Slave, and Black Nativity in 2013, and Belle in 2014. If we count those alongside Fox, then Fox had eight such releases. But of those five Fox Searchlight titles, only the three 2013 titles could be honestly construed as wide releases. They will be added into the final total but will not be counted in terms of the “big six.”

Paramount gets most of its would-be black-centric filmography thanks to the The Rock (Pain and Gain, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and Hercules). Otherwise you’ve got Eddie Murphy’s A Thousand Words and Denzel Washington’s Flight in 2012, plus the just-released Chris Rock acquisition Top Five, and this Christmas’s Martin Luther King Jr. biopic Selma for this year. Again, you can argue if I should be counting the Dwayne Johnson ensemble adventures (Johnson is second-billed behind Walberg in the Michael Bay crime comedy while Anthony Mackie is the third member of the murderous trio), but I’m trying to be as fair as I can. Universal (Comcast Corp.) had eight such titles over the last three years. They are Safe House and RZA’s The Man With the Iron Fist in 2012, Fast & Furious 6, 2 Guns, Riddick (yes, I’m counting Vin Diesel for the purposes of this discussion), and The Best Man Holiday in 2013, and Ride Along and Get On Up in 2014.

If you want to count mini-majors, let’s start with Lions Gate Entertainment. They get high marks for a deluge of Hispanic-targeted releases but the vast majority of their black-centric output over the last three years has been Tyler Perry-related releases. They include Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds, Tyler Perry’s Witness Protection Program and Alex Cross in 2012. 2013 opened with the Dwayne Johnson vehicle Snitch and continued with the Perry-produced Peeples, Kevin Heart: Let Me Explain, and a small-scale release The Inevitable Defeat of Mister Pete. 2014 featured Tyler Perry’s Single Moms Club (which may be the end of the road for the Perry/Lionsgate relationship), the much delayed Frankie & Johnny, the micro-released Repentance, and Addicted. Nonetheless, they deserve credit for seeing the financial potential in Tyler Perry way back in 2005 and thus reaping the rewards. They have eleven such films total and eight out-and-out wide theatrical releases.

The Weinstein Company released Django Unchained and The Intouchables in 2012 as well as The Sapphires (limited release), Fruitvale Station, The Butler, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom in late 2013. 2014 offered only On the Other Side of the Tracks, an Omar Sy two-hander that played on fifty screens. Sony Pictures Classics offered only Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg’s Celeste and Jesse Forever (limited release) in 2012 while Focus Features offered only That Awkward Moment (with Michael B. Jordan as one of the three leads) and I Am Ali (limited release) in 2014. Open Road Films offered only A Haunted House and A Haunted House 2. I think that about covers it in terms of major distribution houses who release multiplex theatrical features.

Now for the record I am explicitly not counting films that starred other ethnic minorities (sorry Life of Pi and Paranormal Activity: The Loved Ones) or films which had African-American characters supporting the white guy’s journey (sorry Pacific Rim or The Maze Runner). Oh, and Hollywood’s comparative track record in terms of gender representation is a whole different article that I may or may not dive into this week. It is of course possible that I missed one or two so-called “black-centric” films (I used the Box Office Mojo database), although I bent over backwards to include some that you might not count (Cloud Atlas was a coin toss) to compensate for that possibility.

So if you add up what is basically most of the major distribution houses in Hollywood and tally up their output over 2012, 2013, and 2014, you get basically 64 releases featuring a black actor or actress either in the lead role or as one of the core group of lead characters. If you’re only counting “majors” (Sony, Warner, Disney, Universal, Paramount, and 20th Century Fox) that number drops to 35 such releases. So of those six major studios that are represented (and that does not include Fox Searchlight, only 20th Century Fox), over 1/3 of the entire multiplex theatrical output of black-centric films from what can be considered “major studios” can be attributed to a single studio and that studio is Sony.

Even the more expansive list leaves Sony with 19% of said titles, with one studio out of eleven noted distribution houses accounting for 1/5 of the total. And yes, 36 of the overall 64-film total came from one major (Sony) and three mini-majors (Weinstein, Lionsgate, and Fox Searchlight). That means, presuming I didn’t miss any such films, that the five major studios outside of Sony released just 23 out of 64 total such movies (36%) over three years, and that’s bending over backwards to be fair with a few of them. Say what you will about what Amy Pascal and Scott Rudin’s informal words do or don’t reveal about their racial attitudes, but their actions as producers and distributors of mainstream feature films arguably show them working in the right direction to a greater degree than their rivals. Not only did Sony make noticeably more multiplex releases starring actors of color than the other major studios, all twelve of their releases incontestably “count,” with no “well, I’ll count this one to be fair” titles or “this barely got a theatrical release” films that popped up while tabulating the other studios’ said output.

Of course, if this needs to be said, the fact that Warner Bros. and Disney were rather light in this department does not necessarily unmask their executives as closeted racists any more than I would say that Hollywood is male-centric because Hollywood is secretly run by a cabal of He-Man Women Haters. Life is more complicated than that, even if the end result is unfortunate and in need of industry-wide correction no matter what the reason. And twelve feature films starring actors of color out of fifty-two films over a three year period isn’t exactly a sterling track record for Sony. But it’s worth noting that it’s significantly better than much of the competition. As we decide how to react to what were some racially-barbed movie-related inquiries aimed at a black president, we must ask ourselves if we should judge the executives at Sony more on their words behind closed doors or their actions that are for all to see.

Now one can make the argument that negative words spoken in private are a sign of attitudes that lead to harmful actions, and that is generally true. But what happens when it’s not necessarily so simple? What do we do about movie studio executives whose private words seem to indicate racist attitudes but whose public product is (perhaps by default) more racially progressive than their peers? That’s not a question I can answer, but I will say (keeping my political leanings in mind) that our country would have been better off if we cared more about Gary Hart’s public policy ideas than his private (consensual) sexual behavior back in 1987. And I sure as hell think we would be better off as a nation if we spent more of our media energy focused on very real racially discriminatory actions and policies and the people who enact them than we do freaking out when a D-level comedian unloads a racially-offensive sexual fantasy on Twitter.

It is not my place to presume the racial mindset of the top executives over at Sony Pictures nor is it my place to absolve them of responsibility for the private conversations that have now been made public. But Sony Pictures is a movie studio, and their primary purpose is to make and/or distribute mainstream movies for theatrical exhibition. On that scale, in terms of the volume of theatrical films which star black actors and/or concern the narrative arc of black characters, they are actually more racially progressive than the majority of their peers. To what extent should we judge their private words over their public actions?

If you like what you’re reading, follow me on Forbes, follow @ScottMendelson on Twitter, and “like” The Ticket Booth on Facebook. Also, check out my archives for older work HERE.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't think they are particularly more racist than any other studio
Dec 15th 2014
yep...being mad about this is silly to me though
Dec 23rd 2014
WSJ shilling for Sony? Rupert Murdoch must have buddies there
Dec 15th 2014
lolz @ 'S From Hell'
Dec 15th 2014
Well....lol
Dec 15th 2014
“starring black people” = “black-centric movie.”
Dec 15th 2014
RE: “starring black people” = “black-centric movie.”
Dec 16th 2014
      yea but say overbrook brings a film to screengems, sony runs the#
Dec 22nd 2014
           actually, that's what's going to happen anyway.
Dec 22nd 2014
Nicky Barnes handing out free turkeys on Thanksgiving
Dec 15th 2014
This is like Paula Dean bragging about hiring Black people
Dec 16th 2014
      Dave said it best
Dec 22nd 2014
The oceans have more aquatic life than any other body of water on the pl...
Dec 16th 2014
deep
Dec 22nd 2014
Sony meets with rainbow Push, NAN, NUL
Dec 22nd 2014
Why did Amy Pascal call Al Sharpton?
Dec 22nd 2014
      Is exactly why conservatives hate Jesse Sharpton.
Dec 23rd 2014
           Christmas service.
Dec 23rd 2014
                i forgot to say this part of the Olivia Pope package
Dec 23rd 2014
                from what's been released, the calls to JJ were before Olivia pope
Dec 23rd 2014
                     the deeper issue is why is Jesse Sharpton the goto in racial events?
Dec 23rd 2014
                     Because
Dec 23rd 2014
                     bc Sony is obviously quite tone deaf wrt race relations
Dec 23rd 2014
                     I think Jimmy the Greek started all of that
Jan 09th 2015
                     I'm of the mind she was called before or just at that time
Dec 23rd 2014
sharpton's Agents of DIVERSITY to meet, offer guidance to Sony execs
Jan 09th 2015
you know they get PAID to do them "workshops" right?
Jan 09th 2015
RE: you know they get PAID to do them "workshops" right?
Jan 09th 2015
Meagan Goode's husband, DeVon Franklin, literally just quit
Jan 09th 2015

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't think they are particularly more racist than any other studio"
In response to Reply # 0

I could even believe that they are less racist than other studios if you something to back it up.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "yep...being mad about this is silly to me though"
In response to Reply # 1

....i can march to "i don't wanna support the parties sending the emails"

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "WSJ shilling for Sony? Rupert Murdoch must have buddies there"
In response to Reply # 0

That said it doesnt' render Chris Rock's recent critques invalid. There's always been 'black' films...nobody in Hollywood is THAT racist they are gonna leave money on the table by ignoring a lucrative audience. Chris Rock could easily be in five movies a year playing the cool black friend or starring in Tyler Perry studio biteoffs.

His issue was that there was little bleedover into both worlds (ie, non-colorblind casting) and that the execs were lilly fucking white, which is why Rudin and Pascal saw no problem cracking racial jokes over company email.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "lolz @ 'S From Hell'"
In response to Reply # 0

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:47 PM

4. "Well....lol"
In response to Reply # 3

They can put it up in heaven all they want to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTtmfJI0Z6w

But we will never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7zZRud1B0

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 08:48 PM

5. " “starring black people” = “black-centric movie.” "
In response to Reply # 0

*looks into the camera*

"Kevin Heart","inevitable defeat of Mister Pete"

*stares into camera*

but yea
just to play along
seeing how the sony leaked plan regarding the (initial) interview controversy
was to just redact their name and leave columbia holding the bag,
i wonder how many of the films dude is giving them credit for may have come from columbia's/tristar/screengems camp, vs sony proper

but the larger question is what exactly does a studio's list of films, designed from the gate to eiher make money or be a tax writeoff, have to do with rich folks' sniggling and giggling "racial humor" at work

the obama jokes are prolly like #2478 on my list of microaggressions, but im saying

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 12:11 AM

7. "RE: “starring black people” = “black-centric movie.” "
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Dec-16-14 12:24 AM by b.Touch

>*looks into the camera*
>
>
>"Kevin Heart","inevitable defeat of Mister Pete"
>
>
>*stares into camera*
>
>
>but yea
>just to play along
>seeing how the sony leaked plan regarding the (initial)
>interview controversy
> was to just redact their name and leave columbia holding the
>bag,
>i wonder how many of the films dude is giving them credit for
>may have come from columbia's/tristar/screengems camp, vs sony
>proper

It's all the same company. Columbia (A-films), TriStar (B-films), Screen Gems (genre and African-American), and Sony Pictures Classics (indie films) are wholly-owned subsidiaries of Sony Pictures (which does not release films under that name). Although each subsidiary has dedicated staff, they essentially function like specialized imprints, since all of the films are actually released to theaters by Sony Pictures Releasing and to video by Sony Home Entertainment. Sony Pictures also encompases Sony' TV production and network businesses as well, so info about "The Boondocks" and "Seinfeld" is leaking as well.

Columbia, TriStar, and Screen Gems aren't really meant to have much, if any autonomy (similar to how Disney used to have Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, and Hollywood Pictures, the latter two of which were in-name companies used to copyright "adult themed" productions by the former), providing the Sony execs are paying attention (which they weren't to Sony Pictures Animation, another story for later).

It's like - same conglomerate, isn't this ironic - how Columbia Records and Epic Records and now RCA Records are all wholly owned subsidiaries of Sony Music Entertainment. It's all the same corporation and the same people running the show at the top.

That's why that shit about "taking Sony's name off of 'The Interview' " was such bullshit. 400% of whatever coin "The Interview" makes is going into the same pot as all the other Sony films, and the company just recently started going more out of their way to tag up all of their films with more prominent Sony branding because they wanted people to know what time it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjpWB8Qt30

That poor Columbia woman...

>
>
>but the larger question is what exactly does a studio's list
>of films, designed from the gate to eiher make money or be a
>tax writeoff, have to do with rich folks' sniggling and
>giggling "racial humor" at work
>
>the obama jokes are prolly like #2478 on my list of
>microaggressions, but im saying

I agree that just because they make a lot of black films doesn't mean they can't have some issues with personal stereotyping. It does make for an odd conundrum, however.
>
>
>

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 06:03 PM

10. "yea but say overbrook brings a film to screengems, sony runs the#"
In response to Reply # 7

and rubberstamps it

thats not the same as sony chairs/paschal herself holding workshops and opencalls from black writers and greenlighting scripts, which it seems the author is trying to imply

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:38 PM

15. "actually, that's what's going to happen anyway."
In response to Reply # 10

Studios almost always tend to hire independent producers to actually make films, and they provide (some of the) financing and have some level of creative control and influence.

Very, very few films are made directly by the big studios anymore. Moreover, Amy Pascal in particular is responsible for the output of four movie studio brands making a total of about 22 films each year, so she's never that deeply involved in workshopping unless it's necessary - the film is a huge tentpole or the film is in trouble.

The Letter L
Member since Apr 21st 2008
590 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 08:57 PM

6. "Nicky Barnes handing out free turkeys on Thanksgiving"
In response to Reply # 0

to the same community he was destroying with heroine

Does it make him less villainous or wash away his sins?

Nope

And why? Becuz evil people do good deeds ALL OF THE TIME

Its politics

Sony tryna save face so consumers wont withhold their dollars

"SEE SONY LOVES BLACK PEOPLE"

And muhfuckas will fall for it

"and there's your L" - pat sajak

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79559 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:51 AM

8. "This is like Paula Dean bragging about hiring Black people"
In response to Reply # 6

while talking the most shit about them.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 08:44 PM

14. "Dave said it best"
In response to Reply # 8

Handing you a pile of money but first putting your dick on top when you reach for it
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:57 AM

9. "The oceans have more aquatic life than any other body of water on the pl..."
In response to Reply # 0

planet.

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 06:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "deep"
In response to Reply # 9

i still blame hip-hop.

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 06:43 PM

12. "Sony meets with rainbow Push, NAN, NUL"
In response to Reply # 0

The Rev. Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH Coalition held a meeting Thursday with Sony executives, including company co-chair Amy Pascal, discussing possible diversity initiatives.

RELATED: Kevin Hart’s Perfect Response To Sony Email Links

“We want to empower African-American Actors/Actresses, camera men/women, producers and directors,” PUSH wrote in a press statement. “We want to increase participation for companies and organizations like TV One, Radio One, Interactive One, Ebony, Black Enterprise, NNPA, NABOB and others.” Interactive One is the parent company of NewsOne.

PUSH Chairman Martin King called the meeting “a step towards progress,” but noted that “they have a long way to go to becoming a company that represents the America that supports them through entertainment, gaming, technology and electronic purchasing.”
The meeting comes after hackers whom the FBI says are backed by North Korea exposed racist emails from Sony. The leaked exchanges between top company executives included one where they implied President Obama would love slave movies; another suggested that Denzel Washington should be denied leading roles in international films because international moviegoers would shun one starring a black actor.

The Sony leaders involved have since apologized for the emails. The company’s executives are now communicating via texts to avoid further exposure. The FBI is currently investigating the hack’s origins.
National Action Network‘s Rev. Al Sharpton and National Urban League president Marc Morial met with Pascal, as well, on Thursday.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 08:34 PM

13. "Why did Amy Pascal call Al Sharpton?"
In response to Reply # 12

I asked this question when I heard that news last week. I know it's standard operating procedure to reach out to the Black "leaders" when some racist isht goes down but it seem so disingenuous to me. Amy Pascal and Sony Execs should be reaching out to and apologizing to the Black talent they insulted. They should apologize to Obama. If you're not a racist movie studio, then meet with the Black creatives in Hollywood. Talk to them about how Sony could work with them to create more opportunities for people of color in Hollywood. Don't talk to PUSH, NAN or whomever. That doesn't address the problems with diversity in Hollywood. It's just for show IMO.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 05:36 AM

16. "Is exactly why conservatives hate Jesse Sharpton."
In response to Reply # 13

These dudes have become the defacto racial firefighters
and anytime a race fire breaks out they are called to extinguish
getting paid HEFTY sums to do so as well

how long before Amy and her crew show up for 11am service at West Angeles COGIC with a photo crew?

>I asked this question when I heard that news last week. I
>know it's standard operating procedure to reach out to the
>Black "leaders" when some racist isht goes down but it seem so
>disingenuous to me. Amy Pascal and Sony Execs should be
>reaching out to and apologizing to the Black talent they
>insulted. They should apologize to Obama. If you're not a
>racist movie studio, then meet with the Black creatives in
>Hollywood. Talk to them about how Sony could work with them to
>create more opportunities for people of color in Hollywood.
>Don't talk to PUSH, NAN or whomever. That doesn't address the
>problems with diversity in Hollywood. It's just for show IMO.

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 07:11 AM

17. "Christmas service."
In response to Reply # 16

>how long before Amy and her crew show up for 11am service at
>West Angeles COGIC with a photo crew?

I'd also asked why she apologized to Al damned Sharpton and not to Kevin Hart and Obama (and Mike Lynton to Denzel). To me, that says even more than the emails do: indications of either very very poor advice (is this what Olivia Pope told her to do?) or a guilty conscience.

deejboram
25755 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 07:16 AM

18. "i forgot to say this part of the Olivia Pope package"
In response to Reply # 17

now, should we be more upset at Olivia Pope for pimping our people and giving folks like Amy et al an "out"?
I mean, on one hand you don't want to knock anyones hustle
but then on the other you have T.I.

I'm sure Amy only knows Jesse Sharpton via SNL skits and the Tawana Bradley thing so she prolly was like "can't I just call Jesse Shaprton Jr to make all of this go away?"

Between us not being able to breath with our hands up I'm not sure "we" even care anymore.
Like, there is no real outrage among the Black populace. It is mainly big business that wants to save face.

>>how long before Amy and her crew show up for 11am service
>at
>>West Angeles COGIC with a photo crew?
>
>I'd also asked why she apologized to Al damned Sharpton and
>not to Kevin Hart and Obama (and Mike Lynton to Denzel). To
>me, that says even more than the emails do: indications of
>either very very poor advice (is this what Olivia Pope told
>her to do?) or a guilty conscience.

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 09:42 AM

20. "from what's been released, the calls to JJ were before Olivia pope"
In response to Reply # 17

Possibly

But seems like the firing petition kept growing, and then obama basically clowned them by saying shelving the movie was the wrong decision, echoed by other actors & talking heads

Memes showing Kim Jong as head of Sony

that's when Olivia pope showed up, methinks

not to quell the darkies

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

deejboram
25755 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 09:47 AM

21. "the deeper issue is why is Jesse Sharpton the goto in racial events?"
In response to Reply # 20

Like why are they the only two that get the calls (BUSINESS!!!) when stuff goes down as if they are the Ghostbusters?

the right wing conservatives caught on to this decades ago and it is a heatsink for them.

when these two die, who will be the next up?
Tavis?
March Lamont Hill and that light skinned lawyer on CNN be getting called upon alot these days.

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5186 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 11:22 AM

23. "Because"
In response to Reply # 21

>Like why are they the only two that get the calls
>(BUSINESS!!!) when stuff goes down as if they are the
>Ghostbusters?

they can't call any of the Black conservatives without checking with Sean Hannity first.

>the right wing conservatives caught on to this decades ago and
>it is a heatsink for them.

The right wing conservatives have been crying about this for a long time. It was nothing to catch onto, they would find something else to hate Jesse and Al for it wasn't this.

>when these two die, who will be the next up?
>Tavis?
>March Lamont Hill and that light skinned lawyer on CNN be
>getting called upon alot these days.

Whoever it is, the usual suspects will complain and cry about it.

---------------------------
Signature

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 01:01 PM

24. "bc Sony is obviously quite tone deaf wrt race relations"

Which is why I can't see needing "a fixer" called in 4 that obvious and pandering solution

>Like why are they the only two that get the calls
>(BUSINESS!!!) when stuff goes down as if they are the
>Ghostbusters?
>
>the right wing conservatives caught on to this decades ago and
>it is a heatsink for them.
>
>when these two die, who will be the next up?
>Tavis?
>March Lamont Hill and that light skinned lawyer on CNN be
>getting called upon alot these days.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 01:47 PM

26. "I think Jimmy the Greek started all of that"

As I recall that was a turning point when a dude said something racist but actually felt the weight of it-- he went and met with Jesse to try and save face (didn't work) and ever since then folks have been doing the "black leader mea culpa".

There's some cultural magical negro mentality in there somewhere.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 10:09 AM

22. "I'm of the mind she was called before or just at that time"
In response to Reply # 20

I know _we_ ain't find out about it until late last week (TMZ leaked the info - there was no official announcement at first), but that doesn't mean they didn't have whoever the real life equivalent of Harrison & nem are on the line earlier.

>Possibly
>
>But seems like the firing petition kept growing, and then
>obama basically clowned them by saying shelving the movie was
>the wrong decision, echoed by other actors & talking heads
>
>Memes showing Kim Jong as head of Sony
>
>
>
>that's when Olivia pope showed up, methinks
>
>not to quell the darkies

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 01:42 PM

25. "sharpton's Agents of DIVERSITY to meet, offer guidance to Sony execs"
In response to Reply # 0

An eight-member diversity task force – pulled together after controversy over racially tinged emails about President Obama between producer Scott Rudin and Sony studio head Amy Pascal – has met three times on a set of recommendations it plans to present to Pascal later this month.

Related'The Interview' To Get Wide Release In The UK
‘The task force was created with the express goal of combatting the lack of black meaningful content in the (entertainment) industry,” said task force member Jean Claude LaMarre, a producer and director whose film Chocolate City is set to debut later this year. “Sony just happens to be the focus.”

The task force was largely selected by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who had heavily criticized the emails when they first surfaced after the mammoth cyber attack on Sony that began in late November. Sharpton subsequently had two phone calls and a face-to-face meeting with Pascal, and the task force was one result.

ing

Task force members also include Ron Taylor, who formerly was head of diversity at Fox; actress Vivica A. Fox; Hollywood Black Film Festival CEO Tanya Kersey;  Pastor William Smart Jr. of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference; environmental scientist and producer Woodrow Clark;  the Rev. K.W. Tulloss of the National Action Network and writer/filmmaker Gary Hardwick.

LaMarre said the group plans to continue meeting well beyond an initial meeting with Pascal. Sony is not providing any funding or other resources for the task force, and it eventually will look at other Hollywood studios, networks, talent agencies, guilds and other major organizations, which also largely have a dearth of African-American executives.

Even Hollywood operations such as Sony and the Lifetime network, which both create films and TV shows targeting African-American audiences, have virtually no senior executives who are black, LaMarre said.

“Kevin Hart comedies (produced by Sony label Screen Gems) are great, but if even the chairman of the company is laughing at them, there’s an issue,” LaMarre said. “There isn’t a single senior VP or president of a major studio who is of African-American descent.”

Other issues include nurturing and developing African-American talent both in front of and behind the screen, and creating more substantive programming with African-American themes, LaMarre said.

The task force is largely focused on improving Hollywood’s record with black talent and executives for now, though groups representing women, Latinos, and gays and lesbians, among others also have long criticized the industry’s lack of diversity. LaMarre said some of those groups have made more progress, such as the many gays and lesbians in positions of power, or women such as Pascal in senior decision-making roles.

“Finding a black person (in a position of power in Hollywood) is like finding a needle in a haystack,” LaMarre said. “I think the African-American issue is more glaring. You won’t find a single African-American executive and that cannot continue.”

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

deejboram
25755 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 01:56 PM

27. "you know they get PAID to do them "workshops" right?"
In response to Reply # 25

>An eight-member diversity task force – pulled together
>after controversy over racially tinged emails about President
>Obama between producer Scott Rudin and Sony studio head Amy
>Pascal – has met three times on a set of recommendations it
>plans to present to Pascal later this month.

same thing Gloria Allread does for "womens rights" Jesse Sharpton does for the negroes.
force them to hire your "diversity team" at exhorbitant rates to smooth things over

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 02:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "RE: you know they get PAID to do them "workshops" right?"
In response to Reply # 27

>>An eight-member diversity task force – pulled together
>>after controversy over racially tinged emails about
>President
>>Obama between producer Scott Rudin and Sony studio head Amy
>>Pascal – has met three times on a set of recommendations
>it
>>plans to present to Pascal later this month.
>
>
>same thing Gloria Allread does for "womens rights" Jesse
>Sharpton does for the negroes.
>force them to hire your "diversity team" at exhorbitant rates
>to smooth things over

That "Jesse Sharpton" thing seems straight from a Fox News comments section....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 02:27 PM

29. "Meagan Goode's husband, DeVon Franklin, literally just quit"
In response to Reply # 25

Sony less than a year ago.

They may wanna go get him back lol

Lobby General Discussion topic #12676111 Previous topic | Next topic