Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12676045

Subject: "smh... BMore cops tase a woman for recording them" Previous topic | Next topic
PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"smh... BMore cops tase a woman for recording them"

goddammit... "The Cloud" to the fuckin rescue AGAIN...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-video-arrest-20141209-story.html

In the early hours of a Sunday morning in March, Kianga Mwamba said, she was on the way home from a family gathering and about to stop to pick up some food for her children at the all-night restaurant Valentino's.

But as she got near, she stopped to record a group of police arresting a man across the street.

Mwamba, 36, flicked on the video recorder on her cell phone, telling officers she was allowed to record. But the situation quickly devolved into Mwamba's being hauled from her Toyota, tasered and charged with assaulting two police officers.

"I'm in shock for real, like are they really doing this to me," Mwamba said as she recalled the arrest in an interview this fall.

And when Mwamba was bailed out of jail that Monday morning, she said the video she made appeared to have been deleted from her phone. It was only when she checked another app that backed up her images and videos to the cloud that she found she still had a copy, she said.

Prosecutors dropped all the charges against Mwamba in September, concluding that there was insufficient evidence to move forward, and last week she filed a $7 million lawsuit against a number of officers she says were involved in her arrest and what she says was an attempt by police to destroy the footage.

The video she shot surfaced online Monday, prompting the Police Department to denounce the actions and language used by one officer.

Ok... so maybe, in the case of people recording video of police bullshit, having a cloud backup copy is pretty much a game changer. I'm not changing my stance on hating the cloud for all other things, but since cops love destroying evidence on a phone, this is where I'll break from my normal stance.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
messed up
Dec 15th 2014
not good for her. she shouldn't have had to go through that shit.
Dec 15th 2014
      yes, i meant good for her for getting tased
Dec 15th 2014
           yeah, that too.
Dec 15th 2014
sad...
Dec 15th 2014
They'll settle for something far less
Dec 15th 2014
If she can *prove* the cops went into her phone, can she sue?
Dec 15th 2014
Paging SoWhat... wouldn't hacking laws apply to cops doing this shit?
Dec 15th 2014
Man the penalty for deleting the video should be SOOO severe
Dec 15th 2014

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "messed up"
In response to Reply # 0

good for her, although it's not like the cops personally would pay out $7 million, it would be baltimore taxpayers, and i'm sure there is better use of those funds. still, she deserves a victory, and she knew her rights.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:43 PM

2. "not good for her. she shouldn't have had to go through that shit."
In response to Reply # 1

i mean yeah. the money is good. but this is bullshit.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:45 PM

3. "yes, i meant good for her for getting tased"
In response to Reply # 2

it's quite an experience

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:49 PM

6. "yeah, that too."
In response to Reply # 3

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:47 PM

4. "sad..."
In response to Reply # 0

make sme wonder what they were doing to the guy they were actually arresting.

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:48 PM

5. "They'll settle for something far less"
In response to Reply # 0

The standards for BPD are pretty low, so this isn't surprising. Giving guns and badges to people who barely made it out of Mervo isn't the business. I could write a book on them and their power tripping.

Streets won't let me chill.

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 03:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "If she can *prove* the cops went into her phone, can she sue?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-15-14 03:50 PM by 8-bit

Can the cops face criminal charges?

Not sure how she can prove this, but I'm curious.

Wikipedia says "yes," but it's Wikipedia so that "yes" comes with a big pile of rock salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampering_with_evidence

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 09:44 PM

8. "Paging SoWhat... wouldn't hacking laws apply to cops doing this shit?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-15-14 09:45 PM by PoppaGeorge

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr§ion=7-302&ext=html&session=2014RS&tab=subject5

Ok... This might just be the bourbon, but cops seizing a phone and deleting anything off of it screams as if it should fall under hacking "Unauthorized Access" laws. COnsider that the SCOTUS has ruled that a smartphone is basically a computer and that searching one requires a warrant (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/us/supreme-court-cellphones-search-privacy.html?_r=0 )

... and consider the definition of a computer as spelled out by Maryland's own laws

"... (4) (i) “Computer” means an electronic, magnetic, optical, organic, or other data processing device or system that performs logical, arithmetic, memory, or storage functions."

Which describes every smartphone on the market today.

With these two facts in place (the SCOTUS decision + Maryland law), wouldn't the cops unauthorized access of the victim's phone and subsequent data deletion be considered an act that falls under cybercrime laws as defined by the state (and on a federal level for that matter)???

I think I'm gonna make this a "thing"... SCOTUS has said that a phone cannot be searched without a warrant and cyber crime laws are pretty clear that unauthorized access to data and subsequent destruction of that data stored on a computer (which a smartphone is) are a crime.

Yeah... If there were criminal charges to be pressed, it's here.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 09:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Man the penalty for deleting the video should be SOOO severe"
In response to Reply # 0

The cop could come up with some bullshit reason about why he had to use force against her. But throw the book at them deleting evidence.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12676045 Previous topic | Next topic