Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12674949

Subject: "Open Season: Black man has hands in the air, still shot by cops" Previous topic | Next topic
PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 07:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Open Season: Black man has hands in the air, still shot by cops"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/08/cedric-bartee-shot-florida_n_6291538.html

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec 8 (Reuters) - A Florida sheriff called for calm after a 28-year-old unarmed black man in a stolen car was shot and critically wounded early on Monday by a white officer, after witness reports that the man had his hands up and amid racially charged protests nationwide about police violence.

"I ask everyone to not rush to judgment and allow the investigation to be completed," Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said at a news conference in Orlando.

Demings, who himself is African American and was surrounded by six religious leaders from the black community, said investigators have found some eyewitness accounts that conflict with that of the officer involved.

Witnesses at the apartment complex said that the men had their hands up when the deputy opened fire, according to local media reports.

Cities across the United States have seen major protests in recent days after grand juries declined to indict anyone in the deaths of two unarmed black men at the hands of white police officers in New York and Ferguson, Missouri.

After locating a stolen car at an apartment complex just after midnight on Monday, Sergeant Robert McCarthy fired three shots, one of which hit Cedric Bartee.

Demings said Bartee failed to comply with McCarthy's commands and "made extensive furtive movements," making the deputy fear for his safety.

Bartee underwent surgery and was in stable but critical condition late in the afternoon, the sheriff said. A second man in the car was arrested unhurt.

The shooting also comes only a few days after a 32-year-old Latino man was shot and killed in a car by an Orlando detective investigating a burglary. Police said the detective opened fire after he saw Alejandro Noel Cordero had a gun.

On Monday Demings said he was trying to be transparent in holding the press conference "because of the backdrop of everything happening in the country at this time."

He added: "It's concerning to me" how the public might react.

Of course the article goes on to describe how the victim has had numerous run ins with the law and all of that there, none of which matters in this particular incident.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Open Season: Black man has hands in the air, still shot by cops
Dec 14th 2014
Being real, I almost didn't expect a lot of responses.
Dec 14th 2014
      I'll be outraged when the victim wasn't committing a crime
Dec 14th 2014
           Was it a capital offense? Was he an immediate threat?
Dec 14th 2014
                Discretion is the better part of valor.
Dec 15th 2014
RE: Open Season: Black man has hands in the air, still shot by cops
Dec 14th 2014
have y'all noticed on TV, police *never* kill suspects?
Dec 14th 2014
hell remember on the tv show Cops they used to chase suspects
Dec 14th 2014
This I remember
Dec 15th 2014
Seriously? lol
Dec 15th 2014
yep if you believe tv you'll be all messed up
Dec 15th 2014
nigga u need to watch more NCIS
Dec 15th 2014

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Open Season: Black man has hands in the air, still shot by cops"
In response to Reply # 0

It seriously never ends. And the number of responses here lets us know it's not even news to us anymore. What happens now?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 06:04 PM

4. "Being real, I almost didn't expect a lot of responses. "
In response to Reply # 1

Part of me was thinkin OKPs would be like "again???" and just K.I.M... The other part was thinking there would be a least a lil outrage and a discussion would follow.

The first part of me was right. We're becoming desensitized to it.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

godleeluv
Member since Jun 11th 2013
5861 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 11:06 PM

6. "I'll be outraged when the victim wasn't committing a crime "
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Dec-14-14 11:07 PM by godleeluv

It sounds like this guy committed a crime and decided later to put his hands up. He didn't deserve to be shot, thank God he didn't die, but if he wouldn't have stolen the car he wouldn't have been shot. The last case where I felt the victim did absolytely nothing wrong was trayvon, and I hated what Zimmerman did and enjoy watching him publicly fall apart for his sin.
♥♥Church Diva♥♥

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 11:17 PM

7. "Was it a capital offense? Was he an immediate threat?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Dec-14-14 11:18 PM by Doronmonkflake

Put down that kool aid. For all of us.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 08:56 AM

8. "Discretion is the better part of valor."
In response to Reply # 7

Meaning power is only as good as it's judgment. No one respects a man who abuses women, children and animals. Why? It is an abuse of power. How is it any different for an armed man to assail the unarmed? Why let them off the hook?

Nobody asks what janay rice said or did to get punched in that elevator. It's irrelevant. It was an abuse of power.

There are steps in place to defuse conflict and bring in suspects alive and unharmed so they can face trials. That's how it works for other people. It should be the same for us.

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 04:02 PM

2. "RE: Open Season: Black man has hands in the air, still shot by cops"
In response to Reply # 0

Avy.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 04:32 PM

3. "have y'all noticed on TV, police *never* kill suspects?"
In response to Reply # 0

Like they yell freeze, even when being shot at and someone always bring the suspect in...alive

Wonder why that is

does it really matter?

for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth: http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg

sixteenstone
Member since Sep 22nd 2002
27996 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 07:56 PM

5. "hell remember on the tv show Cops they used to chase suspects"
In response to Reply # 3

officers would run damn near a mile, but they didn't shoot anyone.
they would get into lots of physical fights, but a gun was only a last option once their immediate life was in danger.

Remember Novemthree's Courage...
visit on the web:www.16stonevintage.com
like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/16stonevintage
follow on instagram: http://instagram.com/sixteenstone http://instagram.com/vintageblkmags/

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "This I remember"
In response to Reply # 5

Hell the whole intro was them chasing some fool down with or without clothes on.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 10:10 AM

9. "Seriously? lol"
In response to Reply # 3

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "yep if you believe tv you'll be all messed up"
In response to Reply # 3

it's like a serious last resort according to that, but reality tells a different story

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 11:58 AM

12. "nigga u need to watch more NCIS"
In response to Reply # 3

niggas be getting straight murked on national TV

even on L&O u gotta 15% chance of gettin murked in a chase...NCIS chases be like 80% lol

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Lobby General Discussion topic #12674949 Previous topic | Next topic