Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12673672

Subject: "USA using Hip Hop to infiltrate / impact Cuban political climate (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 12:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"USA using Hip Hop to infiltrate / impact Cuban political climate (link)"
Fri Dec-12-14 12:21 PM by Musa

And niggas had jokes about tin foil hats and conspiracy theory. BTW I'm certain unpaid agents are in local scenes.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6306424

U.S. Busted Again For Trying To Infiltrate Cuba's Youth00:57
U.S. Secretly Infiltrated Cuba's Hip-Hop Scene To Spark Anti-Government Movement: Report

DESMOND BUTLER, MICHAEL WEISSENSTEIN, LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ and ANDREA RODRIGUEZ AP 12/11/14 01:37 AM ET
HAVANA (AP) — A U.S. agency's secret infiltration of Cuba's underground hip-hop groups scene to spark a youth movement against the government was "reckless" and "stupid," Sen. Patrick Leahy said Thursday after The Associated Press revealed the operation.

On at least six occasions, Cuban authorities detained or interrogated people involved in the program; they also confiscated computer hardware that in some cases contained information that jeopardized Cubans who likely had no idea they were caught up in a clandestine U.S. operation. Still, contractors working for the U.S. Agency for International Development kept putting themselves and their targets at risk, the AP investigation found.

Hip-hop artists who USAID contractors tried to promote either left the country or stopped performing after pressure from the Cuban government, and one of the island's most popular independent music festivals was taken over after officials linked it to USAID.

"The conduct described suggests an alarming lack of concern for the safety of the Cubans involved, and anyone who knows Cuba could predict it would fail," said Leahy, a Vermont Democrat who is chairman of the State Department and Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee. "USAID never informed Congress about this and should never have been associated with anything so incompetent and reckless. It's just plain stupid."

US. Sen. Jeff Flake also criticized USAID Thursday. "These actions have gone from boneheaded to a downright irresponsible use of U.S. taxpayer money," the Arizona Republican said.

The Cuban government issued no official response to the report, but the AP story led state-run television's afternoon news broadcast and was featured prominently on the websites of government news outlets.

The same contractors, Creative Associates, created a "Cuban Twitter" social network and dispatched inexperienced Latin American youth to recruit activists, operations that were the focus of previous AP stories.

"Any assertions that our work is secret or covert are simply false," USAID said. Creative Associates declined to comment.

At first, the hip-hop operation was run in Cuba by Serbian contractor Rajko Bozic, who headed public relations for the EXIT Festival, an annual music event that grew out of an anti-government student movement.

Bozic declined to talk about the Cuba program.

The Serb homed in swiftly on Los Aldeanos, a hip-hop group frustrated by official pressure and widely respected by Cuban youth for its hard-hitting lyrics.

Creative used a Panama front company and a bank in Lichtenstein to hide the money trail from Cuba, where thousands of dollars went to fund a TV program starring Los Aldeanos. It would be distributed on DVDs to circumvent Cuba's censors.

Then the Colombian rock star Juanes announced a September 2009 concert in the heart of Havana. Creative managers held a two-day strategy session on how to persuade Juanes to let Los Aldeanos perform with him.

It didn't happen, but Juanes publicly thanked the rappers after the concert and was photographed with them.

In a statement Wednesday, a Juanes spokesman said that the concert had no political agenda and that Juanes was unaware of the USAID activities.

A week after the concert, Los Aldeanos' charismatic front man, Aldo Rodriguez, was detained for illegal possession of a computer.

Xavier Utset, who ran the program for Creative, saw the arrest as a "perfect test" of whether raising Aldo's profile would keep the rapper out of jail.

In the end, a relative of Aldo's turned to Silvio Rodriguez, himself a legendary singer. Rodriguez, in an AP interview in Havana, said he called a friend in Cuba's Culture Ministry and asked for the computer to be returned.

"When you find out you could be surrounded by a conspiracy, it's shocking," Rodriguez said.

At one point, the contractors approached a government sex education institute run by President Raul Castro's daughter, Mariela, to be part of the EXIT Festival in Serbia, even as its organizers were running the anti-Castro hip-hop operation.

Mariela Castro told the AP that her institute sent two representatives to the festival but didn't build deeper ties.

Contractors paid $15,000 to underwrite an arts and music festival put on by the family of Pablo Milanes, the famed singer of "nueva trova" music and a man with close government ties. Their secret aim was to seed "the minds of festival organizers with new ideas" and persuade them to send "high-impact messages" to the audience, read one report.

Milanes' daughter, Suylen Milanes, said government officials showed up the day before the festival and warned her that she was associating with unsavory characters. They even showed her copies of Bozic's emails, which they called suspicious, she recalled. Her father declined to comment.

Clearly, Cuban officials had figured out what was going on.

Bozic was detained coming into Havana with equipment, including a potentially incriminating memory stick, generating anxiety among the contractors. He cut his trip short and other contractors were told he wouldn't be returning soon.

Then, Cuban authorities detained a photographer working with Adrian Monzon, the only Cuban who documents show knowingly worked for Creative Associates on the hip-hop program. State security then interrogated Monzon, a video jockey. He told Creative that the Cuban authorities were worried about Bozic and suspected links to the CIA.

Four months later, Los Aldeanos left Cuba for their first trip off the island to perform at the EXIT festival in Serbia. They were the unwitting recipients of leadership training meant "to focus them a little more on their role as agents of social mobilization," wrote Utset, a veteran of Cuban pro-democracy efforts.

Monzon was detained again returning to Havana in April 2011, his computer and a memory stick seized. When they were returned, he realized they contained a document with the names of two Creative Associates managers.

Monzon and Utset did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Aldo would only say that his "conscience is clear."

In August 2010, Los Aldeanos took the stage at Rotilla, one of Cuba's largest independent music festivals. Before a crowd of about 15,000 people, they lacerated government officials by name and taunted the police.

Within months, a USAID contractor told his handlers that the Cubans said USAID had infiltrated the festival, and soon enough, the Cubans took it over. In the end, Los Aldeanos moved to South Florida after complaining that the Cuban government made it impossible for them to work in their own country.

___

Online:

Documents on USAID program: http://apne.ws/1B2vAys

___

Associated Press writer Desmond Butler reported this story from Washington and Belgrade, Michael Weissenstein and Andrea Rodriguez reported in Havana and Laura Wides-Munoz reported from Miami.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
using music to shape minds? Impossible
Dec 12th 2014
i've been following/supporting cuban hip hop closely
Dec 12th 2014
Please share if you can or want
Dec 12th 2014
Them crickets are loud as fugg and its damn near winter time in the USA
Dec 13th 2014
25 years from now we'll hear the truth about Death Row and Cash
Dec 13th 2014
Funny you should mention Cash Money because Chuck D put it out there
Dec 13th 2014
      I was one of the original folks who would post stuff from Activist
Dec 13th 2014
           Oh no doubt I've seen it too
Dec 14th 2014
Now we know who paid for all of Pit Bull's suits
Dec 14th 2014
That is actually a pretty good joke.
Dec 14th 2014
I posted this on Thursday
Dec 14th 2014
Damn no doubt and I see everyone had crickets on your post as well
Dec 14th 2014
I remember someone posting about a secret meeting
Dec 15th 2014
Yea I mean all hidden things aside labels are clear
Dec 15th 2014

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "using music to shape minds? Impossible "
In response to Reply # 0

sarcasm

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i've been following/supporting cuban hip hop closely"
In response to Reply # 0

this is so crazy on a number of levels for me.

Musa
15789 posts
Fri Dec-12-14 04:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Please share if you can or want"
In response to Reply # 2

?!?!?!?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Musa
15789 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 11:33 AM

4. "Them crickets are loud as fugg and its damn near winter time in the USA"
In response to Reply # 0

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 05:46 PM

5. "25 years from now we'll hear the truth about Death Row and Cash"
In response to Reply # 0

Money records too.

------------------
One Hundred.

Musa
15789 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 09:21 PM

6. "Funny you should mention Cash Money because Chuck D put it out there"
In response to Reply # 5

in the Combat Jack interview that they were created to freeze out and stymie the indie movement of No Limit records.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sat Dec-13-14 10:03 PM

7. "I was one of the original folks who would post stuff from Activist"
In response to Reply # 6

only to see folks post: "TAKE THAT SHIT TO ACTIVIST" and "THAT IS A BULLSHIT CONSPIRACY...C-O-N-SPIRACY"....

yet shit came to pass that outside of the David Icke type reptilian shit that gets lumped in with CIA/FBI operations... a whole bunch of shit that folks scoffed at turned out to be true.

Nothing this government does surprises me. I am more surprised when it comes to light quickly.

Wait til Cheney's pacemaker finally shuts down. That's when we'll really get to see some shit.

------------------
One Hundred.

Musa
15789 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 05:03 PM

9. "Oh no doubt I've seen it too"
In response to Reply # 7

and yea its like a watershed of things people have always suspected is coming to light.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 03:23 PM

8. "Now we know who paid for all of Pit Bull's suits"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Musa
15789 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 05:04 PM

10. "That is actually a pretty good joke."
In response to Reply # 8

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 05:53 PM

11. "I posted this on Thursday"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12672146&mesg_id=12672146&listing_type=search

Musa
15789 posts
Sun Dec-14-14 06:49 PM

12. "Damn no doubt and I see everyone had crickets on your post as well"
In response to Reply # 11

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 10:02 AM

13. "I remember someone posting about a secret meeting "
In response to Reply # 0

of music execs to push more drugs and death on wax for the prison industrial complex...

and of course every one called it bullshit.

Musa
15789 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 12:39 PM

14. "Yea I mean all hidden things aside labels are clear"
In response to Reply # 13

About the agenda they are trying to push.

I wasn't even signed but A&R pretty much said we pushing nonsense.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Lobby General Discussion topic #12673672 Previous topic | Next topic