Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12672353

Subject: "ATL: Keith Parker da GAWD--MARTA buses / trains getting wi-fi" Previous topic | Next topic
Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"ATL: Keith Parker da GAWD--MARTA buses / trains getting wi-fi"

https://twitter.com/katieleslienews/status/543072963671912448

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
All that's well and good but ima need him to make sure his employees
Dec 11th 2014
nah, i haven't had as many of those issues
Dec 11th 2014
Oh good for u
Dec 11th 2014
      i've been riding daily for two years
Dec 11th 2014
Maaaaaannn....them bus drivers...
Dec 11th 2014
      U kno the real!
Dec 11th 2014
      like i said, i feel you but that hasn't been my experience
Dec 11th 2014
           Cool and like I said, good for u
Dec 11th 2014
                i'm not so myopic as to view this as just about wifi though
Dec 11th 2014
                     Ridership increases and even money is not the answer to my issues
Dec 11th 2014
                          *daps*
Dec 11th 2014
      i wonder if the fact that all of my routes are in northern Fulton colors...
Dec 11th 2014
           iono..I live in Buckhead, and it's pretty crappy..the buses anyway
Dec 11th 2014
If he can get better bus service cracking, then he's reached GAWD status
Dec 11th 2014
tbh, i think this push is an appeal to get north fulton republicans on b...
Dec 11th 2014
This is awesome lmao:
Dec 11th 2014
Forget all this. Expand the lines already. Stop stalling
Dec 11th 2014
RE: Forget all this. Expand the lines already. Stop stalling
Dec 11th 2014
With what money?
Dec 31st 2014
so after i went off in this post, service has been pretty stellar for me
Dec 31st 2014
nah, it's not til February lol
Jan 05th 2015
MARTA at the crossroads
Jan 05th 2015
I kinda love everything about that article
Jan 08th 2015
MARTA CEO Keith Parker could see two-year contract extension
Jan 08th 2015
Will they finally have an app to show train / bus arrival times?
Jan 08th 2015
RE: Will they finally have an app to show train / bus arrival times?
Jan 08th 2015
been had that
Jan 08th 2015

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "All that's well and good but ima need him to make sure his employees "
In response to Reply # 0

Are sticking to their work schedules and getting the trains in and out of the stations at the scheduled time

Same for the bus drivers, leave when scheduled to, it's not that hard

Ima need him to also make sure these trains offering wi fi are not breaking down or randomly stopping for 20 minutes with no explanation

Ima need him to get these electronic signs in the stations fixed so ppl actually know when the next train is coming

Not mention the bus GPS on the App being wrong half the time

He's cool, he's taking Marta in the right direction but ima need him go sure up the basics before he gets ahead of himself

The best thing he's done so far is making the trains run more frequently, but I'm not here for one step forward and two steps back

Da Gawd my ass

Maybe the wifi is there to keep ppl placated while the train sits idle lmao

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "nah, i haven't had as many of those issues"
In response to Reply # 1

i rarely have issues with the trains and most of the issues, and most of the issues i've had with buses leaving on time is because said buses arrived at stations late. from my vantage point, that's mostly been a function of traffic conditions + the dispersion of exiting riders, not MARTA employee indifference. either way, i've never been stuck on a train so it's all been rainbows for me. never had issues with the GPS tracker either (though i use the one bus away app to supplement the MARTA app http://onebusaway.org/). fuck them signs though.

with that said, i have unlimited cellular date, so i'm more excited about the mobile payments and gate access from phones. i just get annoyed with the cell outage messing up my spotify playlists.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Oh good for u"
In response to Reply # 2

Like I said wi fi is great, my soundcloud and NPR won't be interrupted but the basic point of transit is to get me from point a to point b. these moves to attract white riders and such really don't mean much to the ppl who actually depend on Marta to get to and from and that should be Keith Parker's focus

And these are simple things to fix

And if u don't think a good number of drivers are indifferent u haven't been riding Marta long enuff

prototype

believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:13 PM

9. "i've been riding daily for two years"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Dec-11-14 02:19 PM by Jay Doz

i think that's long enough for me to comment intelligently

"Like I said wi fi is great, my soundcloud and NPR won't be interrupted but the basic point of transit is to get me from point a to point b. these moves to attract white riders and such really don't mean much to the ppl who actually depend on Marta to get to and from and that should be Keith Parker's focus"

aren't those things interrelated though? improving the experience encourages more riders. encouraging more riders generates more revenue which improves the quality of service across the board.

-------

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 01:47 PM

5. "Maaaaaannn....them bus drivers..."
In response to Reply # 1

They'll be late to the stop, then spend 20 more minutes talking to another driver...about nothing.

The app...if i had a dime for everytime a bus "disappeared" from the map..smh..

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:04 PM

6. "U kno the real! "
In response to Reply # 5

I'm on Marta starting at 5 am, it's a crap shoot if the train operators will be exactly on schedule and exactly on schedule is of the upmost importance when 3-4 minutes late can make u miss ur connecting bus and vice versa

The whole point of posted schedules is so u can plan ur trips

I will say the trains run good in afternoon and evening rush ( I'll assume morning rush then too but I have to be to work before that so it's irrelevant to me)

But the bus drivers! They are habitually late leaving stations and doesn't have shit to do with traffic, I'm talking bout leaving stations to start the route

But I really ride Marta, not airport and sport events and concerts, like forreal. I love it too but just want to see them finally actually get the simple shit right

I'd rather see them have am extra bus or two on standby for the occasions when a bus breaks down or whatever on a route that runs ever 45 min than some wi-fi

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:14 PM

10. "like i said, i feel you but that hasn't been my experience"
In response to Reply # 6

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:21 PM

11. "Cool and like I said, good for u"
In response to Reply # 10

I'm not looking for a debate, I stated my opinion that I could care less about a wi fi if they would fix the basic issues at hand, 8 out of ten daily riders will probably say the same, ur excited about wi fi? Cool a large portion of riders won't care at all

If u chose to take that personal which u seem to be that's on u, I'm talking bout the transit system I been on since 2006 and that a good number of ppl in neighborhood have been on all their lives

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:25 PM

12. "i'm not so myopic as to view this as just about wifi though"
In response to Reply # 11

it's about encouraging ridership

that's why i'm excited about open data and the development of the MARTA app

that's why i'm excited about phone-enabled payments and gate access

that's why i'm excited about the investment in TODs

that's why i'm excited about the ride with respect campaign

shit that's why i'm excited about the pee elevators

improving the experience gets more riders, which is key for promoting density and smart urban development

and no i didn't take your comments personally

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:52 PM

14. "Ridership increases and even money is not the answer to my issues"
In response to Reply # 12

More ppl riding, of all different backgrounds, is great, development around stations is great and well over due. Expansion is great and well overdue

But Marta has been in the black for well over a year (has it been 2?) And many Of the drivers and folks working at the stations still have the same *shrugs shoulders* 'you riders are on MY time" attitudes

Raises would help but a lot of these folks were spared from losing their jobs all together a few years ago when a lot of their colleagues got the axe, so u think they would be appreciative

They need fire under their assess and to be reminded that this is the way ppl are getting to work, school, grocery store, doctor etc. a lot of them need to take their jobs more seriously

I work in chamblee and the bus drivers up here are the same as the ones who take me to peoplestown, but maybe I need to be on an Alpharetta bound bus to get good and reliable service

Now they aren't all bad but too many of them are. again a raise may help but bus driving is never gonna be a glamorous job. But when u consider that others are depending on u to do what they have to, u should do ur job better

That comes from the top down, so if that's made a priority by Parker then the change will reflect across the system. If the drivers are held accountable to being late in some tangible way, they won't be late as much

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:57 PM

16. "*daps*"
In response to Reply # 14

i feel you man. i'm about to move to Grant Park and I might be singing another tune come next week

-------

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:11 PM

8. "i wonder if the fact that all of my routes are in northern Fulton colors..."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Dec-11-14 02:15 PM by Jay Doz

my daily commute = Midtown train to North Springs, #140 from North Springs to Mansell Rd., and back. Depending on what I have going on (which is a lot these days, it seems), I'll usually take the #2 or #102 from North Ave. to Poncey Highlands, or maybe the #12 from Midtown to Howell Mill. anything beyond that, I bike or walk. I guess the point here is that my bubble is north of I-20, and it'd be a damn shame if the quality of services is drastic depending on your geography. I get a behind a scenes tour of MARTA ops in a few weeks, so let me know if there are any points of concern or contention you'd like me to identify or address.

-------

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:31 PM

13. "iono..I live in Buckhead, and it's pretty crappy..the buses anyway"
In response to Reply # 8

I get the occasional late train leaving work (North Ave to Doraville), and thats whatever. I'll say the trains are about 80% on time, and for the most part, I'll take that.

But the buses??

Oh my days...I have NO idea why they even have them on a schedule. Theyre decent in the mornings, but comeing home from work? Sheeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.....

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 11:59 AM

3. "If he can get better bus service cracking, then he's reached GAWD status"
In response to Reply # 0

especially in underserved So. DeKalb. I remember there was a stretch that I was tweeting him just about every day about a late bus that made rush hour connectivity to the train almost impossible.

Streets won't let me chill.

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 12:06 PM

4. "tbh, i think this push is an appeal to get north fulton republicans on b..."
In response to Reply # 3

with MARTA's transit priorities. especially considering the legislative session is right around the corner

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/12/10/why-democrats-and-transit-will-be-relevant-in-2015/

unfortunately those folks couldn't give two shits about Redan and Lithonia

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 02:53 PM

15. "This is awesome lmao: "
In response to Reply # 3

>I was tweeting him just about every day about a
>late bus that made rush hour connectivity to the train almost
>impossible.

He'd prolly block me if I was on there lol. As much as the bus around my way is late

prototype

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 03:00 PM

17. "Forget all this. Expand the lines already. Stop stalling"
In response to Reply # 0

MARTA needs WAY more stations and rail lines

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 03:04 PM

18. "RE: Forget all this. Expand the lines already. Stop stalling"
In response to Reply # 17

potential heavy and light rail lines connecting north springs to alpharetta and lindbergh to avondale are in the community input stage of development. the clifton corridor line is much further along though.

http://www.itsmarta.com/Clifton-Corr.aspx
http://www.itsmarta.com/north-line-400-corr.aspx

-------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 12:00 PM

20. "With what money? "
In response to Reply # 17

Wifi and more trains on the existing lines is one thing and easier to find money for within their existing budget, but you're talking about shit that requires more money and bonding than MARTA could dream of on their own. They need buy-in from more government sources to make that work. I think it may happen since MARTA is looking more and more legit under the current regime.

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 11:39 AM

19. "so after i went off in this post, service has been pretty stellar for me"
In response to Reply # 0

lol i guess the transit gods heard my struggles or maybe u said something on ur behind the scenes tour!

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 01:23 PM

22. "nah, it's not til February lol"
In response to Reply # 19

meanwhile, I had a train "ghost" on me on my way to work this morning :-/

-------

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 01:22 PM

21. "MARTA at the crossroads"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/transportation/marta-at-the-crossroads/njfTn/#06f36a09.639351.735601

Hi-tech bathrooms, smartphone apps, a shiny new fleet, new hires tasked with customer service, and ambitious plans to gobble up additional territory.

After years of red ink, service cuts and waning credibility, MARTA has clocked repeated surpluses, and it shows. Perhaps more startling, it’s drawn glowing praise for its management and innovation from some of Georgia’s top conservative leaders.

Chart: MARTA bottom line since 2009
In the midst of this, Clayton County has approved the first significant expansion of MARTA’s borders since its founding, and the new Atlanta streetcar, though run mostly by city employees, is driving home the importance of trains to a coveted younger demographic.

MARTA is at a major turning point, raising questions: Can it keep up the momentum? How should it spend the money? And what comes next?

“I think a lot more is possible for MARTA going forward,” said Rep. Mike Jacobs, citing better fiscal management and improved quality of life on the system. The Brookhaven Republican chairs the legislative MARTOC committee that watchdogs the agency, with which MARTA has often had a strained relationship. “Over time I think you are going to find more interest on the state level in helping MARTA along to a better place.”

+MARTA at the crossroads photo BOB ANDRES
The “Ride with Respect” campaign is part of MARTA’s efforts to improve riders’ experience and the perception of the system. BOB ... Read More
Those are magic words for MARTA advocates. Their ultimate goals are a steady outside funding stream for operations, permanent freedom from a mandate that half their sales tax revenue must go to capital projects, and, eventually, service to Cobb, Gwinnett and other counties beyond the current service area of Fulton and DeKalb. For four decades, those goals were out of reach, and may still be in part. But recent events are raising hopes.

A new passenger experience

If nothing else, one event made 2014 historic for MARTA: Clayton County residents’ overwhelming vote to pay a 1 percent sales tax to join the transit system that began operations in 1972.

+MARTA at the crossroads photo BOB ANDRES
MARTA is testing out a hi-tech bathroom at its Lindbergh Station, one of many initiatives designed to lure “choice riders” — ... Read More
Metro residents now have legitimate reason to hope they could one day live in an affordable condo at a development near a rail stop in Clayton County, taking the train to work in Buckhead as they breeze past traffic for 30 miles. MARTA plans to start Clayton’s bus service in March and is investigating the feasibility of a rail line.

Meanwhile, the daily experience of MARTA’s current passengers is changing, due to initiatives small and large. They stem in part from a $17 million operating surplus in the fiscal year that ended in June.

With the economic recovery fully under way, MARTA reversed devastating cutbacks in service, cutting wait times for some trains to as little as five minutes during rush hour. It also reduced the number of breaks in some train trips and added more bus runs. Oh, and re-opened restrooms.

Far more sweeping changes may be in store. The agency has a $1.1 million contract with the consulting firm Parsons Brinckerhoff to re-evaluate its route system from the ground up.

To date, MARTA has made little progress on its long-held desire to institute distance-based fares; the cost of implementing such a system remains an obstacle. But the addition of Clayton County could bring the issue to a head.

On the technology front, MARTA, after years of withholding its trip data, released the information to app developers. Georgia Tech students pounced and created the OneBusAway app. MARTA subsequently released its own app, MARTA On the Go, so that passengers with smartphones can see when the next ride is coming and better plan their trips.

“There just wasn’t a culture of openness about that kind of thing,” said David Emory, a transit technology consultant and outgoing president of Citizens for Progressive Transit. Emory is the son of an original MARTA planner (as a baby he rode MARTA’s inaugural train).

“Really, in the last two or three years. we’ve seen them going from being one of the worst in the country among the large agencies to one that’s doing much better,” he said.

Such advances have much higher stakes than may be apparent. They’re seen as key to attracting “choice riders,” people who could drive but might choose transit. Above all, that includes millennials, the younger, tech-savvy generation that is increasingly attracted to in-town, urban living.

Parker is interested in technologies that would allow passengers to buy and use Breezecard fares on their smartphones.

MARTA does not yet have underground wi-fi like New York’s subway, but hopes to by next year.

MARTA’s other new app, See & Say, is to help passengers more easily report problems to MARTA police. It’s designed for use above or underground — sort of. The app holds on to a message until the phone finally surfaces, then automatically sends it.

Perception packs a punch

Crime has long been a complicated issue for MARTA. Agency officials say violent crime on the system is lower than on comparable systems elsewhere in the country. Nevertheless, they know that the perception of crime damages their attempts to sell the system to both choice riders and legislative purse-holders.

“We’ve always been a safe system, but we haven’t been a friendly system,” Parker said. His “Ride With Respect” advertising campaign, paired with an infusion of 60 new officers, aims to change that.

He now has a remarkably ambitious goal: To make choice riders think of riding a MARTA bus the same way they think of the trains.

Former Atlanta Mayor Sam Massell, president of the Buckhead Coalition and a MARTA co-founder, joked glumly that someone should “hire a psychiatrist” to figure out why many Atlantans shun MARTA buses even if they embrace the trains.

“Until he (Parker) started cleaning up the attitudes, I thought maybe that’s it,” Massell said. “I think it’s psychological with busing — people had a racial connotation to it or something. I don’t know, there’s something wrong there.”

MARTA is about to finish replacing 265 buses at a cost of $132.5 million. It’s important for the system’s image, officials say, but also for its reliability.

Some of Parker’s success may be due to improved management, but some may be luck in the form of an improved economy.

Revenues from the 1 percent sales tax that Fulton and DeKalb residents pay went from $318 million in the 2010 fiscal year to $346 million last year. If those revenues tank again and Parker is suddenly in the cutting business, will he still be so admired?

“I remember when everybody considered Bev Scott a breath of fresh air,” cautioned former MARTA board chairman Michael Walls, referring to MARTA’s general manager from 2007 to 2012.

Scott eventually became known for blunt, impassioned advocacy that grated on some conservative leaders.

A quiet reformer

Parker’s style is different.

In a recent knock-down drag-out with the union over a contract approved last month, union leaders published Parker’s $345,000 pay and a photo of his elegant home, along with a call to “save our city and send Keith Parker and his cronies packing.”

Asked how his relationship with the union is, Parker replied, “It continues.” And said no more.

The new contract gives union members their first blanket raise since 2008 and a one-time bonus, but institutes modest reforms, too. Employees will now be fired after going AWOL for three consecutive days without a medical note, or for being late to work eight times within a 12-month period.

MARTA officials and observers give Parker credit for genuine streamlining and improvements, including, paradoxically, slashing the information technology budget after audits found mismanagement and spending violations.

Other efficiencies include hiring parking employees to make sure drivers who ought to pay do, and closing the doors of idling buses to ensure passengers can’t board without the driver there to watch them pay, a plan that was in the works when he arrived.

And sometimes money breeds money. More money begets better service, which begets more riders, which begets more fare revenue. And when MARTA has more money in the bank, lenders have more faith that it will make debt payments, so they charge lower interest. Moody’s upgraded MARTA’s bond rating, a move that could help save the agency millions in interest payments over time.

Parker and his boosters say he’s not political. But no transportation leader can avoid politics.

The state and conservative areas of the region have often treated MARTA as a political pariah. That’s not the sentiment right now.

Parker’s marching orders were first to fix perception of MARTA, to make the case that it had put its house in order. Then MARTA would be better positioned to ask for state funding.

At a crossroads

The Legislature is poised to begin a historic session, in which it could raise significant transportation revenue for the first time in more than a decade. A preparatory report released last week gave specific ideas for road funding, but not mass transit. However, it contained a remarkable section, in which it declared that it was “in the state of Georgia’s … best interests to establish a separate, permanent funding stream” for the state’s transit systems.

Parker said he had not studied the declaration and could not comment. “I need to know, how much? When? Are there stipulations that go along with it?” he said. In order to have impact, the amount would have to be “meaningful,” he said.

And if the big money ever comes, money for rail expansion, he will have to recommend which projects to build — meaning, which neighborhoods to serve. The Clifton corridor, from Midtown to Emory University and the Centers for Disease Control? Or I-20 east, serving a lower-income clientele?

Such choices are freighted with political consequences.

State leaders aren’t showing their hand yet, though many had praise for Parker. Gov. Nathan Deal said Parker created a new atmosphere for MARTA at the Legislature. However, he said, MARTA doesn’t yet have value to the state as a whole, at least “probably not in the short term.”

If areas such as Clayton county or some north Fulton cities choose to invite MARTA onto their turf, that’s fine, Deal said. However, he said,“it’s quite different to try to force MARTA on a constituency.”

MARTA chairman Robbie Ashe agreed, and acknowledged that some expansion plans may be a heavy lift.

“I don’t know how quickly we will have serious conversations with Cobb or Gwinnett county,” he said. However, he added, “I certainly hope that this is not the last time we talk about expanding the MARTA system in my lifetime.”

For two years now, MARTA has been in the black. Here are some ways they’ve spent the surplus and their longer-term budget, which approaches $890 million annually for both capital expenses and operations.
Increased bus and train service

With rail service, $10.2 million went to more frequent trains and better connections. Bus service was also increased.

The hi-tech loo

1 pilot project at Lindbergh so far cost $100,000. If it works, others could be installed for $1 million.

Bus replacement

Finishing replacement of 265 buses over the last couple years, for $132.5 million. Some of those buses are also a buildup for service starting in Clayton County in March.

Comprehensive route evaluation

$1.1 million contract with the Parsons Brinckerhoff consulting company also involving MARTA staff to evaluate the current transit grid from the ground up.

Rebuilding reserves

At $170 million

Smartphone apps

“See & Say” app for reporting to police and “MARTA on the go” for real-time arrivals. Development cost “in the hundreds of thousands.”

Hiring

More than 300 new employees since 2011 including 60 new police officers.

TOD

MARTA has ramped up its long-term commitment to developing Transit-Oriented Developments of real estate around some of its stations.

Source: MARTA

Where’s the money from?

Improving economy and tax revenues
Increasing ridership
Closing bus doors when idled
Parking payment oversight
Improved bond rating
Select streamlining, as in IT dept. cuts

Source: MARTA

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 06:19 PM

27. "I kinda love everything about that article "
In response to Reply # 21

Deal and the other republicans in charge are so full it and short sighted tho

If ur biggest city/metro area is running smoothly then it's economy will be positively affected and if it's economy is positively affected so will that states, in short

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 02:03 PM

23. "MARTA CEO Keith Parker could see two-year contract extension"
In response to Reply # 0

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2015/01/07/marta-ceo-keith-parker-could-see-two-year-contract-extension

Since joining MARTA in late 2012 CEO Keith Parker has overseen a dramatic turnaround at the transit agency. He's led initiatives that have clamped down on rider misconduct, ordered reforms recommended by an outside audit, and revived plans to develop barren seas of asphalt surrounding some rail stations. State lawmakers are finally starting to warm up to the economic engine they've ignored for decades. Thanks in part to cost-saving measures and the recovering economy, MARTA's no longer on the verge of insolvency. Ridership is up. And there are new bathrooms!
And that's just been in the first two years he's been leading the bus and rail system. And if MARTA's board of directors moves ahead as planned tomorrow, Parker will have some additional time in Atlanta.

Tomorrow, the directors who oversee the agency will vote to extend Parker's contract for another two years, keeping him in Atlanta until late 2019.

"Extending Keith's contract is an important way to demonstrate his and our commitment to having long-term success," says MARTA Board Chairman Robbie Ashe, who made the announcement at today's State of MARTA address at the transit agency's Lindbergh headquarters. "MARTA's at the cusp of a truly transformational moment. We believe his leadership is part of that. He wants to be part of moving Atlanta forward. Extending his contract sends a strong signal of his commitment and ours to be here for the long term."

That two-year extension also comes with a pay raise, which Ashe says Parker was already eligible for under his original contract. We've asked for that figure and will update when we hear back.

-------

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 02:46 PM

24. "Will they finally have an app to show train / bus arrival times?"
In response to Reply # 0

Instead of those broken monitors in the stations?

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 04:03 PM

25. "RE: Will they finally have an app to show train / bus arrival times?"
In response to Reply # 24

http://www.itsmarta.com/marta-on-the-go-app.aspx

http://onebusaway.org/

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 06:13 PM

26. "been had that"
In response to Reply # 24

prototype

Lobby General Discussion topic #12672353 Previous topic | Next topic