Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12671276

Subject: "Does anyone here own a reconditioned Vitamix?" Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 10:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Does anyone here own a reconditioned Vitamix?"
Wed Dec-10-14 11:12 AM by nipsey

My wife wants one for Christmas. But those things are out or our price range. She says we can get a reconditioned one and save some money. But I am averse to buying anything used.

Does anyone have any experience with reconditioned Vitamixes? Have you had any issues? Have you heard of anyone having any issues? I am leery of electronics that have a large reconditioned market. Because if the original product is so good. Why would so many people return it to the company (which in turn resells it as reconditioned)?

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't own a reconditioned Vitamix or any Vitamix for that matter
Dec 10th 2014
Maybe I'm being unreasonably fearful, but I just worry about
Dec 10th 2014
hmm... I have bought refurbished electronics
Dec 10th 2014
My wife is serious about using it.
Dec 10th 2014
      meaning she uses a blender everyday right now?
Dec 10th 2014
           LOL!
Dec 10th 2014
they come with a 5 year warranty
Dec 10th 2014
Thanks this information is good to know
Dec 10th 2014
what's the warranty on it?
Dec 10th 2014
I own a reconditioned vitamix, haven't had any issues
Dec 10th 2014
Thanks!
Dec 10th 2014
RE: Does anyone here own a reconditioned Vitamix?
Dec 10th 2014
Just bought one for my wife. Target has a great deal right now
Dec 15th 2014
we just got a reconditioned blendtec instead
Dec 16th 2014
I have a blendtec too. no complaints. It is loud as hell
Dec 22nd 2014
See, I had one and it started bugging being extra loud and shaking.
Dec 22nd 2014
I bought one back in 2011 and it still works fine
Dec 16th 2014
I found this article online on Reconditioned Vitamixes
Dec 22nd 2014
Which would you choose between a refurbished Vitamix and Blendtec?
Dec 22nd 2014
I love my Blendtec!
Jan 20th 2015

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't own a reconditioned Vitamix or any Vitamix for that matter"
In response to Reply # 0

but I own quite a few reconditioned/factory refurbished appliances (frige, dishwasher, tv), and they're a great value

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 03:28 PM

6. "Maybe I'm being unreasonably fearful, but I just worry about"
In response to Reply # 1

getting burned buying used electronics. Even if direct from the manufacturer.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 11:59 AM

2. "hmm... I have bought refurbished electronics "
In response to Reply # 0

but I have never bought one that dealt with mixing food.

My only concern would be about how serious you guys are about using it.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 12:24 PM

4. "My wife is serious about using it."
In response to Reply # 2

Likely everyday.

>My only concern would be about how serious you guys are about
>using it.
>
>

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 04:20 PM

7. "meaning she uses a blender everyday right now? "
In response to Reply # 4

or she swears she is gonna use it if you buy it?

just asking because my wife wanted one and I found a cheap ass alternative and sure nuff, she started out strong and then faded as time went on.

We use it but not nearly enough to justify buying the best of the best.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 08:28 PM

12. "LOL!"
In response to Reply # 7

I feel you. She uses her current blender pretty frequently. At least 4 to 5 times a week. So she would actually use the Vitamix.

>or she swears she is gonna use it if you buy it?
>
>just asking because my wife wanted one and I found a cheap ass
>alternative and sure nuff, she started out strong and then
>faded as time went on.
>
>We use it but not nearly enough to justify buying the best of
>the best.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 12:21 PM

3. "they come with a 5 year warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

if it has the vitamix seal of approval thats good enough for me
i bought mine new and have abused it for 5 years. i cant see how these things malfunction.
i think a lot of those reconditioned ones come from large buyers, demos, restaurants.
i bought mine from a restaurant owner who went out of business. she had several 5200's and sold me a brand new one with the warranty still not activated.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 12:25 PM

5. "Thanks this information is good to know"
In response to Reply # 3

>i think a lot of those reconditioned ones come from large
>buyers, demos, restaurants.

Cause I would think if it was so good, there wouldn't be so many people sending them back. But having restaurants sending them back makes sense.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

LittleTortilla
Charter member
25462 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 06:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "what's the warranty on it?"
In response to Reply # 0

For instance I only buy refurbished apple products because I can get apple care that covers it. I would buy apple care for the brand new machine anyway.

So if the VM has decent warranty then scoop. I have one and we use it all the time.

Actuals
Member since May 15th 2009
434 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 06:29 PM

9. "I own a reconditioned vitamix, haven't had any issues"
In response to Reply # 0

I've had mine for a little over a year. I haven't had any issues with it and I use it daily for almost everything from raw food prep, smoothies, and blending nuts. Like the previous poster said it does come with a 5 year warranty.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 08:25 PM

11. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 9

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1599 posts
Wed Dec-10-14 07:24 PM

10. "RE: Does anyone here own a reconditioned Vitamix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, I just ordered a reconditioned Vitamix for wifey. I thought about posting here for opinions but I figured nobody here would've responded. I guess the OKP community is really getting older....

You stay classy okayplayer!!

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 01:26 PM

13. "Just bought one for my wife. Target has a great deal right now"
In response to Reply # 0

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 07:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "we just got a reconditioned blendtec instead"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-16-14 07:34 AM by MiracleRic

it's what they use in a lot of smoothie places so i'm sold

7 year warranty too

much better priced

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 03:13 PM

17. "I have a blendtec too. no complaints. It is loud as hell"
In response to Reply # 14

but I'm guessing all blenders are somewhat loud tho.

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 04:24 PM

18. "See, I had one and it started bugging being extra loud and shaking. "
In response to Reply # 14

I got a replacement and it did the same thing. The jar also got cloudy as hell. I ended up upgrading to a Vitamix. I haven't had any issues with it, since I purchased.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

ChristopherTracy
Charter member
2198 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:31 AM

15. "I bought one back in 2011 and it still works fine"
In response to Reply # 0

I used it everyday for the first 2 years and never had a problem with it.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 03:02 PM

16. "I found this article online on Reconditioned Vitamixes"
In response to Reply # 0

in case anyone else has the same questions I do.

http://joyofblending.com/refurbished-vitamix/

Refurbished Vitamix Blender Details

The refurbished Vitamix machines (aka certified reconditioned) are an excellent deal. They are guaranteed to function just as well as new machines, and cosmetically they are generally indistinguishable from new. You can save $80–$270 or ~20–40% compared to new.

Important note for visitors from outside the United States: Vitamix does not sell refurbished machines outside of the USA. (If you follow a reconditioned Vitamix link using a non-USA IP address, you will be redirected to a country-specific Vitamix page.) However, if you have access to a USA shipping address (e.g. friends or family), you can place a phone order: the Vitamix phone number is 800-848-2649, and you can use promotion code 06-007021 for free shipping.
If you cannot arrange USA shipment and you want to buy reconditioned, consider a Refurbished Blendtec, which can ship to Canada. If you want to stick with Vitamix, the 06-007021 promotion code gives a $35 discount on new Vitamix models shipped to Canada.

Here are the recommended reconditioned options:
Standard Variable Speed (5200, etc): $329
Standard Presets (6300/Pro 500): $379
Next Generation (7500/Pro 300): $439
Next Generation Presets (Pro 750): $519
(Some models have color options that cost extra.)

The Reconditioned Next Generation units (with and without presets) are in shorter supply and higher demand, so they have been going in and out of stock. If the model/color you want is currently unavailable, you can sign up to be notified when it comes back in stock.
Reconditioned vs Refurbished?

Vitamix refurbished modelsMany people use the words refurbished and reconditioned interchangeably. The important thing to know is that all of the reconditioned/refurbished Vitamix models discussed on this site are reconditioned by Vitamix to the exact same standards as their new machines. (For other companies, refurbished might mean that a third party fixed up broken products, possibly with third-party components, but that is not the case for Vitamix.)

The recertification process takes place at the Vitamix factory, and any sub-par parts are replaced with new ones. The Certified Reconditioned Vitamix 17-point checklist is quite thorough in checking both function and aesthetics—that is, everything is guaranteed to work as good as new, and it won’t be all scratched up either.

The following parts are replaced on every reconditioned machine, regardless of condition: the pitcher, lid, and tamper. If the shrink-wrap on the cookbook or DVD is broken, those are replaced as well.

One thing that might not be immediately obvious is that the blade assembly is not necessarily brand new. Technicians remove the blade; if it does not show any wear it is high-temperature washed and sterilized, and then placed in the new container.
Why are there so many refurbished Vitamix machines?

A common concern is, if Vitamix blenders are so great, where do all the reconditioned machines come from? The machines were either used at product demos (many just as display without ever even being turned on), photoshoots, or were returned by their owner. As soon as the initial factory-sealed box is opened, Vitamix can no longer sell that blender as new. Vitamix does not release specific numbers, but my guess is that the majority of refurbished blenders come from returns during the no-risk 30-day trial period. Since Vitamix offers a full refund and also pays for return shipping, returning is extremely painless.

Impulse buys where someone did not check with their spouse first about the large purchase are likely one of the leading sources, as well as people who changed their mind about their preferred model or color. (All returns within 30-days are no-questions-asked.) Some of the returns are probably also from people who realized that they could get a refurbished Vitamix for cheaper….

I don’t think there’s any reason to worry about the refurbished machines being lemons. If there does happen to be something wrong with your machine, Vitamix will take care of it at no cost to you. Also, if you change your mind within 30 days, the no-risk trial applies to reconditioned machines as well as new, so you could get a full refund and not even have to pay for return shipping.
Appearance

I have seen firsthand five reconditioned machines as they came out of the box. At first glance all of them were indistinguishable from a brand new machine. With a very close inspection I noticed on three out of the five machines one part that didn’t quite look brand new. There were slight scuffs on the rubber centering pad. I would take this as a non-issue because you can’t see them if the container is sitting on the base, and after you’ve used the machine a few times that pad will develop minor scuffs. Everything else on all five of the blenders was completely pristine. I have also heard countless reports from other people that their reconditioned machine was just like new.

The only time I wouldn’t necessarily recommend a reconditioned machine is if it is a gift and you are concerned that the recipient might not understand that the reconditioning process really makes the machine as good as new. If it’s for someone close to you, you can probably explain, but there may be gift cases where making that explanation is difficult.
Other differences

The other material differences between reconditioned and new are:

1) 5-year vs. 7-year warranty. The warranty is exactly the same, aside from than the duration. (All parts are covered, as well as shipping both ways for any repairs/replacements.) QVC Creations new models have a 5-year warranty, so that is exactly the same as reconditioned. If you are concerned about the warranty length you can purchase a 3-year warranty extension for $75, which is less than the difference in price between reconditioned and new, and would take your refurbished machine’s warranty out to 8 years.

2) Less colorful box. The new machines come in a box covered with bright photographs, whereas the reconditioned machines come in a brown box that just says Vitamix.
Included in the Box…

All reconditioned Vitamix blenders include a getting started DVD, getting started booklet, cookbook, and tamper. (Some crafty Vitamix demonstrators like to stress that if you buy from them you get the DVD and cookbook for free, but a DVD and cookbook are included with all Vitamix machines, including reconditioned.)
Identical models

One thing to keep in mind with the reconditioned machines is that you may receive any identical model. As I explain on my Vitamix comparison page, there are many model names that actually refer to multiple identical machines. For example, if you order a refurbished Next Generation no presets model, they may send a 7500, a Pro 300, or a Creations Elite.*
Excellent Deal

If you look at Vitamix blenders on eBay or Craigslist you will find that they usually sell for more than these refurbished units (you can find ancient models for less, but those are a bit of a gamble since they’re out of warranty and the seals can wear out). The robust second hand market is evidence for the strong demand for Vitamix, but it’s also a sign that most people don’t know about these refurbished deals. If you’re looking to save money on a Vitamix, refurbished is the way to go!

In fact, I’ve talked with a few Vitamix employees, and they say that even with their employee discount, Vitamix employees nearly exclusively choose Vitamix reconditioned when buying units for themselves, family, or friends.

Refurbished Vitamix blenders come with the same “No Risk Guarantee” 30-day in-home trial as new Vitamix blenders. If you change your mind about your purchase you can get a full refund, and Vitamix even pays for return shipping.

The only source of certified reconditioned Vitamix machines is direct from Vitamix. You can place a phone order at 800-848-2649, or on their website. Either way you can get free shipping if you use promotion code 06-007021.

*If you order a refurbished Next Generation no presets model one of the bases that you could receive is a Creations Elite. You might worry that you wouldn’t get the new style short/wide 64-oz container because the new Creations Elite models are sold with the 48-oz container. However, I’ve consulted with Vitamix and confirmed that you will get the Next Generation short/wide 64-oz container. I’ve also heard from satisfied customers who received the new style wide container with a reconditioned Creations Elite base.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 05:16 PM

19. "Which would you choose between a refurbished Vitamix and Blendtec?"
In response to Reply # 0

Both refurbs are around $300. I could buy both a full price but screw that because that's smartphone money.

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Jan-20-15 09:14 PM

20. "I love my Blendtec!"
In response to Reply # 19

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12671276 Previous topic | Next topic