Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12668862

Subject: "How Much Attention Will The Protests in Berkeley Get?" Previous topic | Next topic
daryloneal
Member since Jan 08th 2005
9267 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How Much Attention Will The Protests in Berkeley Get?"

Looks like some UC Berkeley students got a little rowdy out there, breaking windows and whatnot.

http://www.businessinsider.in/Eric-Garner-Protests-Turn-Violent-In-California/articleshow/45404137.cms

Thousands of demonstrators have protested peacefully in New York and elsewhere since the announcement Wednesday that a grand jury declined to indict a white officer in the death of Eric Garner, a black man who gasped "I can't breathe!" while being placed in a chokehold as he was being arrested for selling loose, untaxed cigarettes. The decision closely followed a Ferguson, Missouri, grand jury's choice not to indict a white officer in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed black 18-year-old.
The scope of the demonstrations and the lack of violence were moving to Garner's mother and widow, they said Saturday.

"It is just so awesome to see how the crowds are out there," said Eric Garner's mother, Gwen Carr, who added that she ended up stuck in her car after protests shut down traffic.

"I was just so proud of that crowd," Carr said. "It just warmed my heart."

Garner's widow, Esaw Garner, said she saw demonstrators from her apartment window and told her son, "Look at all the love that your father's getting."

Officers have said the outcry over the grand jury decision has left them feeling betrayed and demonized by everyone from the president and the mayor to throngs of protesters who scream at them on the street.

"Police officers feel like they are being thrown under the bus," said Patrick Lynch, president of the police union.

Garner's family members joined the Rev. Al Sharpton later Saturday as Sharpton laid a wreath at the site on Staten Island where Garner died July 17 in a confrontation that started when police tried to arrest him.

An amateur video seen by millions showed Garner gasping, "I can't breathe" during the fatal encounter.

"All we're concerned about is justice from the police," said Garner's stepfather, Benjamin Carr, who wore a T-shirt with the words, "Enough is enough."

Protests continued in New York City for a fourth day with several dozen people lying down on the floor of Grand Central Terminal and marching into stores in Times Square. There were no reports of arrests.

Protests have also been held in Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas and a number of other cities.

In Seattle, several hundred people marched downtown to police headquarters Saturday. Authorities said a group then split off from the main protest and tried to get onto a roadway. Police say some protesters threw rocks at officers who blocked them from entering it. Seven were arrested.

Sharpton announced plans this week for a march in Washington, D.C., next Saturday to protest the killings of Garner, Brown and others and to press for change at the federal level.

---
but have you ever checked out my website? www.dtaylorimages.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
in order to make an omelette, got to break a few windows
Dec 07th 2014
^^^ wears mask, throws rocks, and tells the peaceful protestors dealwiti...
Dec 07th 2014
How would you feel if someone damaged your property?
Dec 07th 2014
      The same way I would if someone next to me coughed
Dec 07th 2014
      RE: The same way I would if someone next to me coughed
Dec 07th 2014
           Few people like violence
Dec 07th 2014
      dude shut up all ready
Dec 07th 2014
      am i not?
Dec 07th 2014
      RE: dude shut up all ready
Dec 07th 2014
      id be really pissed but would know insurance would take care of me
Dec 07th 2014
           RE: id be really pissed but would know insurance would take care of me
Dec 07th 2014
Lol @ cops feeling betrayed -- GOOD!!
Dec 07th 2014

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "in order to make an omelette, got to break a few windows"
In response to Reply # 0

I find it ironic in the highest that people are legitimately more pissed off about property damage and theft then literally state sanctioned murder.

Kinda crazy.

But if breaking windows, throwing rocks and stealing goods aka "rioting" brings more sustained attention by civilians, police and govt to this issue...then riot, white people, riot

does it really matter?

for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth: http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 09:39 AM

2. "^^^ wears mask, throws rocks, and tells the peaceful protestors dealwiti..."
In response to Reply # 1

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 09:48 AM

3. "How would you feel if someone damaged your property?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Dec-07-14 09:48 AM by Deacon Blues

It's counter productive and unnecessary , the peaceful protests are getting a lot of attention

They hurt people who are innocent and may even support the protestors ideals

If you want to break shit, break police shit or the courthouse shit

Attack the real enemy

dude

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 10:17 AM

4. "The same way I would if someone next to me coughed"
In response to Reply # 3

I wouldn't like being exposed to the germs, but would understand that the underlying issue is the cold not the cough.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 11:29 AM

6. "RE: The same way I would if someone next to me coughed"
In response to Reply # 4

>I wouldn't like being exposed to the germs, but would
>understand that the underlying issue is the cold not the
>cough.

But the way to treat a cold is not by coughing on people and if you care about others you will be careful not to cough on others so they won't catch the cold.

If you want things to get better you've got to build not tear down, especially when you tear down things not related to what you are fighting.

dude

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 12:43 PM

11. "Few people like violence"
In response to Reply # 6

But it happens and when it does it makes more sense to look at the cause. And yes-- sometimes building up does mean something must be torn down. There can't be another Solomon's temple if the Dome of the rock isn't first removed, but I digress.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 12:10 PM

7. "dude shut up all ready"
In response to Reply # 3

We get it your a good boy, upright citizen, that does not "violence"

No need to continuously make the same posts over and over again.

It's just like Bin pretending he's out there rebelling with da yut

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 12:13 PM

9. "am i not?"
In response to Reply # 7

you sure abt that?

does it really matter?

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 12:14 PM

10. "RE: dude shut up all ready"
In response to Reply # 7

>We get it your a good boy, upright citizen, that does not
>"violence"
>
>No need to continuously make the same posts over and over
>again.
>
>It's just like Bin pretending he's out there rebelling with da
>yut

It's not about being good or bad it's about what's most effective

Just trying to have some dialogue realizing that I'm not right about everything but most can't comprehend that just because some wants to express a different view that doesn't mean he doesn't want the same change.

dude

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 12:13 PM

8. "id be really pissed but would know insurance would take care of me"
In response to Reply # 3

& im totally in favor of throwing rocks @ police...only problem is they throw bullets back

does it really matter?

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 01:17 PM

12. "RE: id be really pissed but would know insurance would take care of me"
In response to Reply # 8

>& im totally in favor of throwing rocks @ police...only
>problem is they throw bullets back
>
>
>does it really matter?
>
>for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth:
>http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg

Fair enough

dude

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 10:19 AM

5. "Lol @ cops feeling betrayed -- GOOD!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Bunch of cowards too scared to stand up for anything less they loose their gang membership.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12668862 Previous topic | Next topic