Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13480199

Subject: "Who was in the wrong?" Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 12:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Who was in the wrong?"
Tue Mar-07-23 12:04 AM by ConcreteCharlie

OK, so here is the situation. Two friends are going to a game, they'd planned loosely for a while. It's also close to one of their birthdays. The birthday guy buys two tickets for the game. The other person invites him to dinner as a birthday gift after that. The birthday guy thanks his friend, buys him a beer, all goes well. The next day, he hits him up for the price of one ticket. The friend who bought dinner gets offended thinking, hey, I spent money on a nice dinner, how come you're hitting me up at all?

Poll result (15 votes)
Person 1 (birthday) (5 votes)Vote
Person 2 (gift giver) (3 votes)Vote
Y'all triflin'! (both) (7 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bad communication all the way around. But this is on the friend.
Mar 07th 2023
why does someone think they deserve a free ticket?
Mar 07th 2023
because they laid out money for the dinner and gift
Mar 07th 2023
this BBS
Mar 07th 2023
^
Mar 07th 2023
^^ yup.
Mar 07th 2023
everyone broke
Mar 07th 2023
the hilarious thing is that they are not
Mar 07th 2023
      The wealthiest people I know are also the cheapest.
Mar 08th 2023
My big sis and I are kinda in the same situation...
Mar 07th 2023
Mar 07th 2023
What's this sending someone a bill after the fact?!!?
Mar 07th 2023
Had this happen over a coffee
Mar 07th 2023
Haha c'mon !
Mar 07th 2023
I think what problem was the amalgamation
Mar 07th 2023
that’s some passive aggressive shit
Mar 07th 2023
Birthday boy's wrong... on some passive-aggressive shit
Mar 07th 2023
My exact sentiment...
Mar 07th 2023
I assumed planned loosely meant they had a convo about seats/prices
Mar 07th 2023
other dude requested he took care of the tix bc he didnt have time
Mar 07th 2023
      Since he asked the birthday guy to get the tickets, he could've at least...
Mar 07th 2023
Whomever got angry before talking it out
Mar 07th 2023
Non b-day guy just went silent for 2 months
Mar 07th 2023
"Hey I got the tickets, it comes out to $XXX/person"
Mar 07th 2023
Same.
Mar 07th 2023
Did BG make explicit beforehand that he'd request reimbursement?
Mar 07th 2023
my understanding is this
Mar 07th 2023
Your friend is an asshole
Mar 07th 2023
which one? lol. maybe both, hence the triflin option
Mar 07th 2023
      lol. i initially thought you were one of the people in the situation
Mar 08th 2023

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
45028 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 02:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Bad communication all the way around. But this is on the friend. "
In response to Reply # 0

They discussed going to the game, so the friend should have expected to pay their way.

Unless there was some reason to expect birthday guy to foot the bill, there's no justification to assume they didn't have to pay their way.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80185 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 06:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "why does someone think they deserve a free ticket? "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 06:28 PM

22. "because they laid out money for the dinner and gift"
In response to Reply # 2

as someone who's bought plenty of gifts and dinners, i never expected anything back, in some ways a favor in return kind of cheapens it. but i get that not everyone has that mentality and i'm not sure if either of these people do.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44641 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 07:19 AM

3. "this BBS"
In response to Reply # 0

Broke Boy Shit...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44259 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:31 AM

7. "^"
In response to Reply # 3

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6088 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:46 AM

9. "^^ yup."
In response to Reply # 3

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16814 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "everyone broke"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 06:29 PM

23. "the hilarious thing is that they are not"
In response to Reply # 4

one is comfortable, the other is very wealthy. which makes this even more absurd to me.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24658 posts
Wed Mar-08-23 10:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "The wealthiest people I know are also the cheapest."
In response to Reply # 23

Meanwhile the people who could really use that $30 they spent on you are either too afraid or too nice (or both) to ask. Real mindfuck.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Dstl1
Charter member
56290 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 08:50 AM

5. "My big sis and I are kinda in the same situation..."
In response to Reply # 0

minus the "beef" over money. She lives in San Fran and she's a big hoop head. She LOVES Luka. She hit me up earlier this year like...lil bro, the Mavericks play the Grizzlies on a Saturday in March...how bout I fly out, you drive down the highway and we catch the game. Tix on me. I'm like, say less...I got us for food and drinks at the game and on Beale Street. Done. Complete understanding. I didn't even hesitate to pick up ALL the food and drinks as I know my sis and how she spends. She makes WAAAAY more money than me, evident by the fact that she lives in San Francisco...very comfortably. I think the sich in the OP just comes down to shitty communication. A 45 second text exchange before the event could have prevented all this, IMO. TLDR, though...birthday boy is buggin. LOL.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:48 AM

10. "100"
In response to Reply # 5

That's my thing like damn this is a very minor thing to have any sort of funk over. Two minute convo clears it up. But it has been a few months now and they're just now approaching it.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49618 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 08:51 AM

6. "What's this sending someone a bill after the fact?!!?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've seen this argument a few times amongst friends. Someone invites them out to something. They have a good time. Next day (or sometime later) the person sends them a bill for their share.

I know its a common practice (especially among younger people) but I am old school enough that if you want me to split costs of something, you need to let that be known upfront and let me know what the costs are.

The reason this is such a big issue because most of my friends operating under, "you treat this time, I treat next time, it will all be a wash in the end". If that's not how we are operating, just say, "these tickets are X, I'll buy them and you can pay me back later?"

This recently became a big thing within one of my friend groups because one of the dudes invited everyone to an expensive dinner for his birthday. People went and then after the fact he started sending people venmo requests. Dude is baller enough he should have been able to treat. If he wasn't going to treat, he should have told people in advance (or allow people to get separate checks).

But sending a venmo request with no prior discussion is tacky AF.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
2085 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:38 AM

8. "Had this happen over a coffee"
In response to Reply # 6

Dude went up and bought, smallest bill I had was a 20, 'don't worry about it, next time', 4hrs later...venmo request for 5. Huh? Petty petty

Brew
24658 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:49 AM

11. "Haha c'mon !"
In response to Reply # 8

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:50 AM

12. "I think what problem was the amalgamation "
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Mar-07-23 11:53 AM by ConcreteCharlie

Like the plans for the game, in a general sense, was each person pays their own way. But then it got lumped in with the b-day dinner. Either way seems like minor difference of opinion that could be resolved in seconds, not months.

I had a slightly similar thing happen with a concert. A friend hit me up said he wanted to go but not solo. I said ok sure. Rode an hour, paid my 50 to park, caught the show with him. Next day he says can you shoot me 94 bucks or whatever. I said ok and sent it to him. I went to the show, I enjoyed it, we were never super specific about it so I was like yeah, sure, and sent it over.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80185 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 12:49 PM

16. "that’s some passive aggressive shit"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah, we announce that shot beforehand

“how we paying for this?”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13623 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:51 AM

13. "Birthday boy's wrong... on some passive-aggressive shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Why didn't he ask for the money up-front or when he bought the tickets?

Dstl1
Charter member
56290 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 12:20 PM

15. "My exact sentiment..."
In response to Reply # 13

If I tell my mans, yo lets hit up a game....I'm either going to: cop the tix and enjoy OR talk to him about seats/prices and get his input...then say something like...I'll cop and you can cashapp me your part. Either way, he won't find out after the game that he owes me money.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59229 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 02:45 PM

21. "I assumed planned loosely meant they had a convo about seats/prices"
In response to Reply # 15

but i could be wrong.

<they'd planned loosely for a while

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 06:39 PM

26. "other dude requested he took care of the tix bc he didnt have time"
In response to Reply # 13

to me this could go either way in terms of how the bill was split. either person gets both or pay your own way. i get both arguments and that's why i was curious to see what people thought.

that said, the guy who's birthday it wasn't got mad about the situation, whereas the other dude was like "if you'd just said i don't think that's fair, i'd have been cool with that." the counterargument i imagine is that why should i even be in a position to say that? but that seems a little odd, i mean it's not a huge amount of money or a fierce argument, the whole thing could have been solved in a minute or two.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13623 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 09:29 PM

27. "Since he asked the birthday guy to get the tickets, he could've at least..."
In response to Reply # 26

...offered to pay for his.

I gotta take back some wrong from the birthday boy and put it on the other friend. Seems like poor communication on both sides.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22275 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:56 AM

14. "Whomever got angry before talking it out"
In response to Reply # 0

Then whomever got defensive as a result instead of working to find a resolution

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 11:33 PM

28. "Non b-day guy just went silent for 2 months"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Mar-07-23 11:34 PM by ConcreteCharlie

Then returned with the reason why, and that's what started the pseudo beef

Hitokiri
Charter member
22151 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 02:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. ""Hey I got the tickets, it comes out to $XXX/person""
In response to Reply # 0

avoids this whole shit.

Though, it is also nice when a person says "Hey how much do I owe you?"

I really try to be both of those people in these kinds of situations.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Brew
24658 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 02:29 PM

19. "Same."
In response to Reply # 17

>I really try to be both of those people in these kinds of
>situations.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86795 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 02:05 PM

18. "Did BG make explicit beforehand that he'd request reimbursement?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-07-23 02:07 PM by Frank Longo

Because if a buddy says to me, "Hey, wanna come to the game with me?", unless he says, "btw tickets at $80" or whatever," then I'm assuming it's on him.

Now, I think the friend should've said to Birthday Guy, "Cool, would love to come! How much are the tickets?" Would've cleared things up from the jump. So definite communication issues between the boys here...

... but if I get invited to a thing and they don't tell me "tickets cost X" beforehand? I assume I'm along for the ride and I'll just get my guy dinner or drinks later. So if we *had* to assign someone with making the first mistake, I'd say it's Birthday Guy for not establishing ahead of time that this was a ticket he was looking for someone to buy off him.

But I think it's subpar communication all around-- and unless the tickets were insanely expensive, if you're in a friendship where you're going to games and you're buying dinners/drinks for each other, I don't think it's worth getting angry about tbh.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 06:36 PM

25. "my understanding is this"
In response to Reply # 18

They were planning to go to a game for a couple months. Not explicitly but in the way that any two grown people doing something together likely would, they were each going to pay their own way. Once they settled on the game the friend said "cool, you can look for the tickets, right?" or something like that. But no discussion of either person ultimately paying for both tickets.

Then it got linked to the bday. Friend wanted to go big for the bday, did, and then figured bday guy would reciprocate by getting the tix (not stated either). He got upset about that, and when he later told the other dude (bday), the dude was hurt that he didn't just say something because there was kind of a weird distance/pause in a longstanding friendship.

Too much drama for me.

Cenario
59229 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 02:43 PM

20. "Your friend is an asshole"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Mar-07-23 06:31 PM

24. "which one? lol. maybe both, hence the triflin option"
In response to Reply # 20

Cenario
59229 posts
Wed Mar-08-23 09:56 AM

29. "lol. i initially thought you were one of the people in the situation"
In response to Reply # 24

Lobby General Discussion topic #13480199 Previous topic | Next topic