Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13466975

Subject: "I kinda think this is what Dave Chappelle was talking about (re: Lena Wi..." Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 09:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I kinda think this is what Dave Chappelle was talking about (re: Lena Wi..."

I've been following this Brohuhua online and its fascinating to watch how this story has developed.

https://www.out.com/commentary/2022/8/19/no-amandla-stenberg-wasnt-homophobic-dming-lena-wilson?utm_source=social&utm_medium=instagram&utm_campaign=commentary

I think this is all interesting because:

1. Lena Wilson really doubled down when there was initial push back and although I am sure a mea culpa is eventually in the works, it's important to remember it never would have happened if there wasn't immense pushback on what she did. Just no self-reflection whats so ever.

2. Almost all of her initial responses to her post were supportive of her. And that support was coming from almost all white people and mostly white women. Fact is, most people have never heard of her except her followers who lived in the same bubble as her and they were all initially supportive but once the story got outside the bubble and there were brown people (mostly black women) coming in defense of Amandla, did the tide begin to turn. What's also funny to watch is there were definitely people who were initially with Lena but switched sides as the story unfolded.

This is such a small story and won't register outside of these particular corners of twitter but it is an example of a white queer woman putting her whiteness before anything else and pulled a Karen. Rather than engage Amandla woman to woman or lesbian to lesbian, she went straight to the public and tried to call her out and shame her.

This is similar to the story DC told about the transwoman calling the cops on him. My theory is that when DC was having his darkest moment at Comedy Central. It was a gay male executive who did him dirty and he has kind of been obsessing over the idea that being gay doesn't necessarily make you an ally. Just a theory.

Anyway, most won't at all find any of this interesting but if you found the turning on and the dunking on Lena Dunham morbidly entertaining, this is more of that. Especially after watching this video of her explaining how she got her job at the NYT (and not mentioning her dad works at the NYT).

https://twitter.com/alex_abads/status/1561034809291509765

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They're both dumb
Aug 23rd 2022
Have you seen the movie?
Aug 23rd 2022
Amandla taking a break from filming swirler/nazi propaganda to DM randos
Aug 23rd 2022
nazi propaganda?
Aug 23rd 2022
      Where hands touch - trailer (I wasn't FEELING the concept of this)
Aug 23rd 2022
Thoughtless Groupthink will end the human race
Aug 23rd 2022
I also see it as a form of prejudice.
Aug 23rd 2022
some people just *look* annoying. like straight off the thumbnail.
Aug 23rd 2022
the whole thing is a mess, but it's 100% on Lena
Aug 23rd 2022
^^^
Aug 23rd 2022
I think Chappell told us exactly why he has issues with the community
Aug 23rd 2022
Does Dave actually WANT people to start protesting his shows
Aug 23rd 2022
nah.. he wanted to joke gays just like he jokes niggas
Aug 23rd 2022
But you making the same mistake Chappelle makes
Aug 23rd 2022
      noones forgetting that. he even mentioned them in his special
Aug 23rd 2022
      There are Black gay people? I never knew that
Aug 23rd 2022
Chappelle also did a bit about how Central Park Karen's birdwatcher guy
Aug 23rd 2022
I don’t think she was extra at all.
Aug 23rd 2022
      not hugely but, ehh, critics are gonna critique shit
Aug 23rd 2022
           Contacting a random twitter user might be extra, but contacting a NYTs
Aug 23rd 2022
                still petty imo, but again
Aug 23rd 2022
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I had to read this like 4 times
Aug 23rd 2022

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5631 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 10:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They're both dumb"
In response to Reply # 0

There was nothing homophobic about the DM, but an actress taking time out of her life of being rich to personally DM a movie critic for not liking her movie is some Kevin Durant-level dumbness. You're a movie star. Was she going to DM every single critic that didnt like the movie? They're both lames.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 10:19 AM

2. "Have you seen the movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

Quick google
Looks like a summer/time themed horror flick...like I know what you did last summer or scream... but starring Pete Davidson
Safe to say no Oscar noms will follow

If Amandla* is upset with being objectified
Why take a role where you're wearing a bikini top for the whole film?

I know actors portray characters younger than their real age
She's 23y.o.
This was a decision, by the director and accepted by the actor
and they are fully aware of the intent of that decision

*Amandla is the name of the first Miles Davis record I bought, awesome name

I have no idea how DC fits into this...at all...?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 10:37 AM

3. "Amandla taking a break from filming swirler/nazi propaganda to DM randos"
In response to Reply # 0

Both parties seem insufferable

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 11:20 AM

6. "nazi propaganda? "
In response to Reply # 3

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
14057 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 11:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Where hands touch - trailer (I wasn't FEELING the concept of this)"
In response to Reply # 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KDWK6kaJs

nativesun07
Member since Mar 28th 2004
3624 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 10:42 AM

4. "Thoughtless Groupthink will end the human race"
In response to Reply # 0

…not ai
I call the internet “The 3rd Brain”
It worked when R Kelly was tried again for something he got away with in the early 2000s before. Because the whole human race knew about what he did, those Black women and girls were scene as people (something the American justice system has trouble doing) and justice was served
But it’s all about peoples weird obsession with others pain and drama
So here - the third brain is working to exaggerate and perpetuate a drama and pain that didn’t happen
But its provocative and entertaining so most people won’t see the reality of it.

I should put that in a song

@nategoodness
www.nategoodness.com

The avatar is old. And, no, that hat was not a groovy style back then, either.

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 11:14 AM

5. "I also see it as a form of prejudice."
In response to Reply # 0

Would she have made the same claim had Amandia been a Caucasian lesbian,
or a Caucasian woman in general?

I don’t think so.

Amandia sent her a direct message, which is a type of personal communication.
She didn’t make a post about it on a social media platform, or try to sensationalize the
matter. So Lena stating that she shared the DM because she didn’t want a person with
more social power than her thinking they can get away with being homophobic makes
zero sense.

Lena specifically mentioned Amandia’s breasts in her periodical movie critique,
so Amandia responded to that form of criticism. Plus Amandia is a lesbian herself,
so her DM would have been no different had a straight woman dm’d another
straight woman in the same manner.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 11:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "some people just *look* annoying. like straight off the thumbnail."
In response to Reply # 0

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13382 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 11:54 AM

9. "the whole thing is a mess, but it's 100% on Lena"
In response to Reply # 0

None of this would have happened if she hadn't tried to put Amandala on blast. She could have just as easily complained about the dm while not mentioning who sent it and it would've ended. Instead she tried to write a check that her white privilege couldn't cash and got the spotlight turned on her.

It's also important that she tried to play homophobia angle, and it never should have passed mustard except Amandala is black and she is white so of course the whites have to protect the tower princess.

No sympathy at all, and maybe the NY Times will be more careful in their nepotistic hires (sike the Times is a shit show and an embarrassment).

Amandala shouldn't have sent a dm like that, so hopefully she learned her lesson too. Nothing wrong with responding to critique, but jokes only work if you know the person.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52640 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

---
Love,
Nopayne

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80055 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 01:22 PM

11. "I think Chappell told us exactly why he has issues with the community"
In response to Reply # 0

He can say nigga all day but as soon as he makes jokes about gay folks its “hold up Dave, you can’t do that”

Its like rap music.. you can talk about killing niggas and fucking bitches and hoes all day but say anything about that group and its a serious problem.

my wife was a dance professor at a university and was up for a position and everyone at the university knew she would get it. The gay white chair of the dance dept hired 2 white girls fresh out of college who graduated from the same school. A few years later the dance dept. lost its accreditation. They will choose whiteness every time. She also had a “gay white male friend” she knew for years who never voted. Then called her to say he was going to vote for the first time in his life… for Trump.

They aren’t are allies.

Chappelle just telling you artsy fartsy ass lame twitta niggas what you dont want to believe. They are not are friends. They dont need us to cape for them because when shit goes down.. its self preservation and they will always choose whiteness.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40950 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 01:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Does Dave actually WANT people to start protesting his shows"
In response to Reply # 11

him saying "Nigga"?

Who exactly would be leading these protests, other Black People?

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 09:05 PM

21. "nah.. he wanted to joke gays just like he jokes niggas"
In response to Reply # 13

and white men

and women

and himself

and…

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 02:41 PM

15. "But you making the same mistake Chappelle makes"
In response to Reply # 11

which is forgetting there are black gay people.

So when he talks about gay people being racist, he forgets a whole group of black people.

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 05:55 PM

20. "noones forgetting that. he even mentioned them in his special"
In response to Reply # 15

liberals love using black lgbt folk as human shields for white people. works everytime.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 09:11 PM

22. "There are Black gay people? I never knew that"
In response to Reply # 15

wtf.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38850 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 01:34 PM

12. "Chappelle also did a bit about how Central Park Karen's birdwatcher guy"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-23-22 01:35 PM by Mynoriti

was a bit of a Karen too bc he had a habit of running around and checking people for leash laws, but then Central Park Karen showed him how how to actually Karen

Not really saying this is so much Karen shit but more the dynamic (and since you mentioned Chappelle it made me think of it).
Amandla was a bit extra by sending the DM over a review, but Lena was like hold my beer, lemme show you how this over-dramatic victim shit really works.

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 03:04 PM

16. "I don’t think she was extra at all. "
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Aug-23-22 03:06 PM by allStah

She gave a critique of the writer just like the writer gave a critique of her,
and the writer commented about breasts in her write-up.

The writer called it a boob campaign, and Amandia basically said had
you looked past that you would have noticed more about the movie.

That’s all fair game and sexual preference had nothing to do with it.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Mynoriti
Charter member
38850 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 03:40 PM

17. "not hugely but, ehh, critics are gonna critique shit"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue Aug-23-22 03:40 PM by Mynoriti

and hey, maybe there's *is* a ton of cleavage in the movie. i haven't seen it
either way DM'ing critics seems a bit extra. someone mentioned KD, i'd liken it to something like that.

that said, there's nothing homophobic about it. and it seems like a pretty harmless passive aggressive exchange, but it's clear Lena pretending to take the high road was just part of a play to make this public and try to sick the internet on Amandla. So she's a dick for that, and clearly the bad actor here.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 03:57 PM

18. "Contacting a random twitter user might be extra, but contacting a NYTs"
In response to Reply # 17

critic isn't really popping off a random DM.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38850 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 04:04 PM

19. "still petty imo, but again"
In response to Reply # 18

she's clearly not the one in the wrong in this story

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40950 posts
Tue Aug-23-22 01:52 PM

14. "Maybe I'm just dumb, but I had to read this like 4 times"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-23-22 01:54 PM by Adwhizz

to make sense of it.

What is the Review chick even claiming that the Actress is accusing her of?

That she didn't like the movie because she likes Breasts too much?

Odd she's claiming that to be homophobic since that also seems like the type of accusation someone would level at a straight Male or anybody else who's attracted to women.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Lobby General Discussion topic #13466975 Previous topic | Next topic