Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13433032

Subject: "I'm going to Disneyland during the pandemic!" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18980 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm going to Disneyland during the pandemic!"

Going Thursday.

Is that crazy??

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
r u blk?
May 18th 2021
lol
May 18th 2021
its in line with the idea i have of you
May 18th 2021
'dude proud too'
May 18th 2021
prolly on the Disney Cruise waiting list too
May 18th 2021
Did you plan this or your SO/wife?
May 18th 2021
I work with a lot of IT folks and they all go to Disney World
May 18th 2021
      I’m sure I will have to take my kids to Disneyland eventually
May 18th 2021
      We went in June before covid. Shits fun, man.
May 18th 2021
      I’m actually looking forward to the day we can take them
May 19th 2021
      I was at Disney World the week the pandemic blew up last year.
May 19th 2021
           I remember when it started creeping up
May 20th 2021
                It was such a surreal feeling at the time with how quickly it
May 20th 2021
The ride wait times were ALL less than 10 minutes
May 20th 2021
Is this post from the future?
May 20th 2021
      EDITED
May 20th 2021
           you tricked us.. you said Thursday
May 20th 2021

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41526 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "r u blk?"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80055 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16810 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "its in line with the idea i have of you "
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

rdhull
Charter member
33153 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "'dude proud too'"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Tue May-18-21 12:57 PM

5. "prolly on the Disney Cruise waiting list too"
In response to Reply # 4

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Tue May-18-21 01:51 PM

6. "Did you plan this or your SO/wife?"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven’t been to Disneyland since grad night 2000. I have a wife and two kids (3 and 1) and I still don’t plan on going anytime soon.

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Tue May-18-21 02:24 PM

7. "I work with a lot of IT folks and they all go to Disney World"
In response to Reply # 6

and Disney Land

and most of them don’t even have kids.

I guess if you grew up knee deep in Disney its fun

My kids love Disney so I’m sure we will go once they are a bit older and can enjoy it a bit more... and once we aren’t on the tail end of a pandemic.. lmao.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Tue May-18-21 10:33 PM

8. "I’m sure I will have to take my kids to Disneyland eventually "
In response to Reply # 7

But I am trying to avoid it as long as possible.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue May-18-21 11:09 PM

9. "We went in June before covid. Shits fun, man."
In response to Reply # 7

The kids definitely love it and honestly, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Wed May-19-21 08:58 AM

10. "I’m actually looking forward to the day we can take them"
In response to Reply # 9

my wife isn’t a fan of amusement parks but she will have to deal with it.

I love amusement parks.

soulfunk
Charter member
11030 posts
Wed May-19-21 09:13 AM

11. "I was at Disney World the week the pandemic blew up last year. "
In response to Reply # 7

Second week of March 2020...when we went down there it was still early enough in the pandemic that there were just rumors of a couple cases in Florida - then Thursday the NBA cancelled games and everything escalated QUICKLY from there. Our last day at the park was that Friday and the park was closed starting Saturday.

We LOVE Disney World - we typically go every other year. Between the four main parks there really is something for everyone there. And for me personally as a Star Wars fan, Galaxy's Edge is an experience like nothing else.

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Thu May-20-21 09:04 AM

12. "I remember when it started creeping up"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu May-20-21 09:05 AM by legsdiamond

and it was right before our first vacation out of the country.

kept saying “it’ll be over by then right..”

then they cancelled the tournament and thats when I knew shit was real.

funny thing is we thought about a cruise but my boss had a horror story about being quarantined because his kid threw up.. little did I know months later people would be trapped on ships and we would have to quarantine at home

soulfunk
Charter member
11030 posts
Thu May-20-21 09:47 AM

13. "It was such a surreal feeling at the time with how quickly it "
In response to Reply # 12

escalated. We went from zero cases in the US a couple weeks before our trip, to around 20 cases (but all out west) the week before our trip, to the day we left jumping up to 100 US cases, but none in Florida where we were going. That's why we didn't decide to cancel the trip (along with the fact that at this point in the pandemic airlines, hotels, amusement parks etc weren't doing free cancellations yet - we would have just been out thousands with no recourse.)

So we flew down (on a full plane) there March 8th not worried at all, just using a lot of hand sanitizer. Each day at there that week things were starting to escalate. You'd hear rumors that there was a case in Florida, the numbers went up from 100 to 300 or so per day. There wasn't any info out about "social distancing" or masks yet so you'd be in those long lines at the park just constantly telling the kids to keep their hands off of handrails and constantly spraying hand sanitizer.

But then that Thursday when the NBA cancelled games it got real. I think right after that the case were up to like 2-3000 per day and that was with minimal actual testing (again we didn't realize this at the time.) The flight home was really where we were worried, but by then everyone was cancelling flights, the plane was maybe only 20% full.

Looking back I'm really glad we still did the trip because we had a great family vacation right before full lockdown. We usually do several trips a year so it was good that we had one big vacation before missing out on our summer trips. But also looking back I guarantee that the case numbers were WAY higher than we knew so I'm sure we were in line - back to back - with Covid positive people, so it's really fortunate that none of us got sick. Especially during that early time of the pandemic when hospitals really didn't know how to treat it.

handle
Charter member
18980 posts
Thu May-20-21 10:10 AM

14. "The ride wait times were ALL less than 10 minutes"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-20-21 10:29 AM by handle

We (my friend Sean and I) left San Diego at 6:15 - on 5/19/2021.

Pulled off the road at 6:58am (near the decommissioned San Onofre nuclear plant) and launched the Disneyland app and was able to get Rise of The Resistance tickets at 7:00am on the dot. We got Boarding Group 8, scheduled for around 9:15am. (I later learned 9:15am was the starting time you could go, they also give you like a 45 minute window to show up.)

Got to the parking area at 7:50am off Harbor Drive. Parking lot was NOT opened yet and was physically blocked, so we circled around ONCE and it then was open. We left the parked car around 8:20am in Mickey and Friends lot. No trams were running so it’s probably a ¼ or 1/3 mile walk to the entrance.

We entered the actual park around 8:50am according to a photo I snapped.

We walked directly to Galaxy’s Edge (Star Wars Land) and were able to walk directly onto Star Wars Smuggler's Run with a zero minutes wait, none at all. Was inside that ride at 8:59am.

Then we walked to Star Wars Rise of The Resistance, showed our passes and were let in – started that ride at 9:20am.

After that we wanted to get some food – but it was hard finding food. We ended up having to walk back to Main Street at The Jolly Holiday, but thought we should try somewhere else – but everything was closed. We probably spent 30 minutes finding food before eating.

Then I signed us up for Indiana Jones Adventure Ride, and was told to go there in 55 minutes by the app.

We went to the Haunted Mansion, which said it was a 30 minute wait – but took a maximum of 10 minutes to get in on the ride.

We walked around a little looking at things wasting time until Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones had no wait when we arrived with our reservation, but we did have to walk a long way to enter the ride. They made us walk around a stupid queue that went up the jungle cruise waiting area-- and then once inside it was a lot more walking. I didn’t really like this ride.

Then we went to Big Thunder Mountain. It was a 10 minute wait, the queue estimated at 35 minutes.

I tried to get ROTR tickets again at noon – but you are only allowed to go once a day.

Star Tours was an eight minute wait, queue estimated 30 minutes.

The only ride we might have wanted to go on but didn’t was Pirates of the Caribbean because it had a long line, but I bet that it would’ve been 30 minutes or less. Just wasn’t very interested in it - or Space Mountain.

Here’s the most surprising thing right now: There are no lines INSIDE the rides. Even if you are waiting outside for a while once you get inside there are no lines, you walk from the entry to where the start of the ride. So if you see a line outside then that’s the WHOLE line.

In the morning the park felt pretty open. I never felt crowded. 99.9% of everyone was masked properly and gentle reminders were given by staff to mask if it fell from the nose. I saw 2 small children that were not wearing masks at all times but they were most times.

Another surprise: I didn’t take many photos because we were never really inside a ride for long enough. Once you got in the door you walked around the queue directly on the ride. That means you didn’t spend time looking at droids, or a lot of the art – it was kind of a whirlwind.

We literally rode every ride we wanted to in less than three hours, and we ended up eating somewhere and taking a break and doing some shopping. We stayed like 4.5 hours.

Got back to San Diego by 3:30pm and am exhausted. I considered it a very successful trip.

------------

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16426 posts
Thu May-20-21 10:23 AM

15. "Is this post from the future?"
In response to Reply # 14

handle
Charter member
18980 posts
Thu May-20-21 10:29 AM

16. "EDITED"
In response to Reply # 15

From yesterday.

------------

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Thu May-20-21 10:36 AM

17. "you tricked us.. you said Thursday"
In response to Reply # 16

wait times are definitely a plus when going at the tail end of a pandemic.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13433032 Previous topic | Next topic