Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13427030

Subject: "Culture Wars/Dr. Seuss/Child Tax Credit" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Culture Wars/Dr. Seuss/Child Tax Credit"
Thu Mar-11-21 02:31 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I've had three political revelations in the last week I need to share.

1. The GOP is down to cultural wars. That's all they got. If they aren't talking about Dr. Suesss and other Culture War touch points, they have literally nothing else to talk about.

2. If all the GOP has is cultural wars, then why fight them on the one topic that they feel good about and probably have the more popular opinion regarding? If they argue that Dr. Suess is being cancelled, I don't think the right response is listing all the reasons why Dr. Suess deserves to be cancelled. Why let them frame the discussion? Its more like, "No he's not/Who gives a sh*t/Is this really the most important thing to you"?"

3. And then ONLY yesterday I learned that the Stimmy Bill is being described as "the most significant piece of legislation to benefit working people in the modern history of this country" (c) Bernie. Why? Because it basically includes UBI for children. How did I miss all that? Oh yeah, I missed all that because in social media folks was arguing over Dr. Suess. That got me thinking maybe GOPers cultural war strategy is finally no longer working and maybe even its a GOOD idea to argue over culture wars so fox news gets its ratings and legislatures can get busy passing more progressive bills.

Anyway, I may be late to the party but if you like me and haven't heard about these hidden pieces of the stimmy bill check out:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRwcm94eS5nb29nbGUuY29tL255X2RhaWx5X21keA/episode/NDRjOWQ1ZmVkM2ExMGIzYWEzNzViNzNhMDQzYmY3NDM?ep=14

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/us/politics/child-tax-credit-stimulus.html

4. My other thing is less a revelation but more of a reminder is that all political takes on twitter are always wrong because they can never capture the long view.

I was telling my homie about the Child tax credit but he said that sounds nice but what about the 2000 checks that were promised instead of the 1400 checks they sent? SMH.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
im glad im not on twitter
Mar 11th 2021
You're not following the right people my man.
Mar 11th 2021
wow, you hate Bernie Sanders that much
Mar 11th 2021
      Hey rj
Mar 11th 2021
idk man, the patreon I subscribe to that tells me I'm really smart
Mar 11th 2021
We started a post about the child UBI here on OKP, hardly anyone
Mar 11th 2021
well
Mar 11th 2021
my local newspaper had its passage on page 6
Mar 11th 2021
I didn't get the GOP's strategy on the stimulus
Mar 11th 2021
RE: I didn't get the GOP's strategy on the stimulus
Mar 11th 2021
^^^they operate in bizarro land
Mar 11th 2021
They haven't had big ideas in a minute yet they still win... alot
Mar 11th 2021
IDK. Do GOP at all get punished for their voting record?
Mar 11th 2021
They’ll tout its benefits back home in their own district
Mar 11th 2021
they'll piecemeal the legislation to their people
Mar 11th 2021
The GOP base is baseless.....
Mar 11th 2021
All GOP voters care about is sticking it to Dems
Mar 11th 2021
Re: the checks
Mar 11th 2021
if you have a youtube channel or a patreon to push
Mar 12th 2021
      There seems to be growing pushback on these folks
Mar 12th 2021
RE: Culture Wars/Dr. Seuss/Child Tax Credit
Mar 11th 2021
That's perfect.
Mar 12th 2021
Bang Bang!!!!
Mar 12th 2021
RE: Culture Wars/Dr. Seuss/Child Tax Credit
Mar 16th 2021
They're jumping on the Southern Border topic now
Mar 16th 2021
Venn diagram: Two groups constantly trying to own the Dems/Libs
Mar 16th 2021
they have a monthly newsletter with talking points
Mar 16th 2021
now that mfs are spending their stimulus check
Mar 17th 2021

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16426 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "im glad im not on twitter"
In response to Reply # 0

i have not seen one person defend or even talk about cancelling dr. seuss except for headlines saying that GOP senators are complaining about it.

no one seems to care. cool.

the stimulus bill has a lot of good stuff in it. i havent seen much reporting on a lot of details until the last few days. medicaid is also being pushed to be expanded with it. people are getting help with ACA premiums. it really is a pretty good bill.

i want to ask people that are complaining about the checks not being 2000 if they would still had voted if they specifically ran on 1400 amount. i think the answer would be, oh well i dont live in georgia/didnt vote or uh yeah i still would have.

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:08 PM

2. "You're not following the right people my man."
In response to Reply # 0

Helping people with children is great, another way to help children is to make sure their parents aren't working poverty wages.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "wow, you hate Bernie Sanders that much"
In response to Reply # 2

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 05:05 PM

17. "Hey rj "
In response to Reply # 3

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "idk man, the patreon I subscribe to that tells me I'm really smart"
In response to Reply # 0

says that the democrats literally bent me over and fucked me

so there's no possibility any good thing is in the stimulus package, but I won't actually name bernie sanders even though he's a part of it because I'm going to later pretend he's the reason I oppose it

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:23 PM

5. "We started a post about the child UBI here on OKP, hardly anyone "
In response to Reply # 0

participated in it.

Vox has had a few articles up about the child UBI. I actually like Romney’s child UBI plan better but both will help parents and help reduce child poverty.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35888 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:28 PM

6. "well"
In response to Reply # 0

1. true

2. true

3. true dat
>
>4. My other thing is less a revelation but more of a reminder
>is that all political takes on twitter are always wrong
>because they can never capture the long view.

nope. threads.

there is actually alot of excellent, well thought out, long view political takes on twitter. you might not be following the right folks.

naame
Charter member
21024 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:31 PM

7. "my local newspaper had its passage on page 6"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-11-21 03:32 PM by naame

three column half page article.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I didn't get the GOP's strategy on the stimulus"
In response to Reply # 0

It is hella popular. 60% of Republicans support it (https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/10/stimulus-package-support-poll/).
So how did not one Senator or representative vote for it?

Is being unified in losing opposition that important? I would think some of them would want to go home to their constituents and take credit for getting them help.

I guess they did the math and realized their chances are better being the anti party no matter what

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22321 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:47 PM

9. "RE: I didn't get the GOP's strategy on the stimulus"
In response to Reply # 8

>Is being unified in losing opposition that important? I would
>think some of them would want to go home to their constituents
>and take credit for getting them help.

They're gonna try to take credit despite voting against it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/us/roger-wicker-tweet-stimulus.html

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 03:52 PM

10. "^^^they operate in bizarro land"
In response to Reply # 9

what they actually do just doesn't matter

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 04:10 PM

12. "They haven't had big ideas in a minute yet they still win... alot"
In response to Reply # 8

Bc they're less concerned about winning the policy game and more concerned about winning the power game.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 04:15 PM

14. "IDK. Do GOP at all get punished for their voting record?"
In response to Reply # 8

The GOP way has always been saying the right things on the cultural war front and do whatever they want on the policy front.

Meanwhile I think Dems are "stuck" on the approach of do the right thing on the policy front and wait to be rewarded at the polls.

I am not sure which approach is more effective.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32120 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 04:24 PM

16. "They’ll tout its benefits back home in their own district "
In response to Reply # 8

While simultaneously proclaiming how they proudly didn’t vote for it.

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 09:47 PM

19. "they'll piecemeal the legislation to their people"
In response to Reply # 8

Like saying they supported a smaller package that includes everything they are getting while criticizing less popular items like "money to states".

Then distract them by saying something negative about BLM and Antifa.

And remind them how united they are as a group.

Their people will eat it up everytime.

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 04:03 PM

11. "The GOP base is baseless....."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-11-21 04:05 PM by blueeclipse

No foundation in fact. Period.

That means the GOP can act anyway they want and circle back to these people with whatever bullshit they want.

Politically this is a huge joker card. HUGE.

They can come back in 2022 and say that even though they did not vote for this stimulus that the one they passed under Trump gave checks to more people "technically" even though they gave zero support to this and wouldn't have even with more checks.

That's what were dealing with here.

Democrats on the other hand are still trying to conduct business as if this isn't the case on the other side. You have "moderate" Dems watering down bills and holding the filibuster vote hostage.

They have to be grounded. They have to vote on shit they don't want to when they are in the minority in the House or Senate for PR purposes.

Their messaging is bad. They will let the Republicans continue to get away with this.

They had a 60 vote majority in 2009 and still fumbled the ball at the 1 on the ACA. That shit was supposed to be single payer and then Ted Kennedy died and they had to pass that very Republican bill.

Then they let Republicans tear them apart so bad over it that they got decimated in the midterms. Then the Governor who's bill they based the ACA off of, Mitt Romney, ran for President by shitting on the same bill.

Insane.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80055 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 04:12 PM

13. "All GOP voters care about is sticking it to Dems"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Amritsar
32120 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 04:22 PM

15. "Re: the checks "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-11-21 04:25 PM by Amritsar

The hyper focus on the checks makes sense given the base. It’s the only tangible part of the stimulus that wealthy online faux journalist influencer bros would ever see. The fuck is SNAP of TANF lol

Very diff story for actual working families though. Apparently the bill has more than one bullet point

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 02:06 AM

20. "if you have a youtube channel or a patreon to push"
In response to Reply # 15

all you gotta sell is outrage

Amritsar
32120 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 08:58 AM

21. "There seems to be growing pushback on these folks "
In response to Reply # 20

That I’m noticing on twitter. Prominent replies to Cenk, Briahna or Sirota calling them out on bad faith takes.

Sirota has even started quote tweeting back at a few replies. It won’t be enough to take them down or anything that far, but it is encouraging

imperial
Member since May 30th 2003
3792 posts
Thu Mar-11-21 06:17 PM

18. "RE: Culture Wars/Dr. Seuss/Child Tax Credit"
In response to Reply # 0

Tim Ryan said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F80FHCB70k&ab_channel=10TampaBay

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49582 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 09:41 AM

22. "That's perfect. "
In response to Reply # 18

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 10:29 AM

23. "Bang Bang!!!! "
In response to Reply # 18

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

jaboonday
Member since Aug 09th 2002
11293 posts
Tue Mar-16-21 01:26 AM

24. "RE: Culture Wars/Dr. Seuss/Child Tax Credit"
In response to Reply # 0

It seems like after the tax cuts in 2018, the Republicans have pretty much accomplished all they were looking to accomplish legislatively on the federal level. They're wasting no time passing anti-voting laws in the states though, so I think a lot of the culture wars stuff is red meat for their "moral" constituency and subterfuge for everyone else to keep their eyes off their real goal of shrinking the electorate so they can get back in power and continue to put conservatives into judgeships. Because, let's be real, the true power in this country is in the courts.

R.I.P. Dilla 1974-2006

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5631 posts
Tue Mar-16-21 08:02 AM

25. "They're jumping on the Southern Border topic now"
In response to Reply # 0

It's so fake. They all tweet the same talking points.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Amritsar
32120 posts
Tue Mar-16-21 08:17 AM

26. "Venn diagram: Two groups constantly trying to own the Dems/Libs "
In response to Reply # 25

A horse shoe theory. As some refer to it.

legsdiamond
80055 posts
Tue Mar-16-21 08:37 AM

27. "they have a monthly newsletter with talking points"

Rjcc
Charter member
95038 posts
Wed Mar-17-21 02:54 AM

28. "now that mfs are spending their stimulus check"

suddenly the same twitter accounts and podcasts have forgotten all about it

this shit is so transparent

Lobby General Discussion topic #13427030 Previous topic | Next topic