Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13144038

Subject: ""The Pilot Wife" (Da' Repost)" Previous topic | Next topic
Cam
Charter member
13288 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""The Pilot Wife" (Da' Repost)"

https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/i-know-youre-mad-at-united-but-thoughts-from-a-pilot-wife-about-flight-3411/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My main issues, beyond the obnoxious Hwhite entitled tone...
Apr 12th 2017
i confront this when defending resisting police cases.
Apr 12th 2017
The culture's roots are in accepting abuse as normal
Apr 12th 2017
That's gotta be maddening
Apr 12th 2017
      I think sometimes the just comply stance
Apr 13th 2017
           I was on a jury where the prosecutor said we would hear from cops
Apr 13th 2017

Cam
Charter member
13288 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My main issues, beyond the obnoxious Hwhite entitled tone..."
In response to Reply # 0

or basing her existence on her husband's job--in 2017, is the same issue I have with all these MAGA blue lives matter people. We live in the land of the free, not a police state, but always during these loud proclamations--where disdain is voiced for anyone who refuses to quietly accept improperly behaved authority--they have an issue.

The other part is that unrelated facts are always raised to villainize the victim. This pilot wife does both.

On topic, this wheat paste artist Alex Bell, is doing their thing...
https://www.popsugar.com/news/Michael-Brown-Posters-New-York-City-43412185/amp

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 03:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i confront this when defending resisting police cases."
In response to Reply # 0

even when in my mind it's clear the police were being unreasonable and the prosecutors too by even bringing the charge, juries often side w/the prosecution/police and ask 'why didn't the defendant just comply?'

like my client who was found guilty of resisting where a video showed he was standing in the door of a squad car, handcuffed, and got in the car 20 seconds after he was first ordered to get in. during the 20 seconds testimony showed that he was talking to his wife about locking up the house and his truck while he was away (at jail). also during those 20 seconds one of the cops tasered the defendant. keep in mind this same cop had previously testified that the defendant didn't present his hands for handcuffing and video contradicted the cop (that count was dismissed by the judge before jury deliberation). i argued the tasering/lying cop had damaged his credibility by lying to the jury - and they KNEW he'd lied b/c they heard his testimony and saw the video. i argued that the fact that the cop tasered my client didn't mean my client was not following the cop's order it just meant that cop was unreasonable - indeed, that cop had even sat in front of the jury and LIED to them. so i just knew i had a winner.

NOPE!

to this day i don't get it.

i don't completely understand what makes regular ppl fail to see unreasonable action by authority figures and/or what keeps them from siding w/other regular ppl when those folks are dealing w/unreasonable authority.

so yeah in that United Airlines case - the ppl who say the doc should've just complied w/the airline and/or the police and fail to question whether the airline or the police were using their authority properly....i don't know what that's about. i can guess - abusive parents, a desire to have order, fear...but that's all i have. i don't really know. i don't get it.

when i was a kid i absolutely hated when my parents told me to do something and the only justification they offered was 'because i said so'. i told them this a few times - that 'because i said so' was not a good enough reason for me to do anything. that didn't go well but i didn't care. i never accepted 'because i said so'. i wanted to know WHY they had said so. now as an adult i get it but i'm still proud of little me for challenging them on that shit. and i'd do it again today if in the same situation.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 04:50 PM

3. "The culture's roots are in accepting abuse as normal "
In response to Reply # 2

Cant reform em

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Wed Apr-12-17 04:51 PM

4. "That's gotta be maddening"
In response to Reply # 2

I served on a jury once where the case boiled down to whether we believed the defendant's story or the officer's. Very little evidence and only one unreliable victim/witness who could only describe the perpetrator as a "Black male, with dreads, wearing a white t shirt".

There was actually one old white woman juror who stated up front "Well, this is open and shut. If the officer said he did it, he did it". Mind you , both the officer and defendant were black so it wasn't solely a race thing. She was just (to me) fully invested in the idea of police being infallible good guys.

But to get to why people say things like "Why didn't he just comply?", I think it's partially the sometimes unsupported belief that certain rules are in place for good reason and, therefore, the people enforcing the rules are justified in whatever they do.

It's also partially a fear of confrontation. We're really like sheep in this way... we'll follow the barking dog's orders out of fear of facing it's teeth.

It's all backwards. That belief in the rules and rule enforcers being just and the fear of confrontation makes someone that questions authority look like a dangerous rebel. But the onus should always be on the enforcers to sufficiently justify what they do.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

tariqhu
Charter member
17956 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 07:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I think sometimes the just comply stance"
In response to Reply # 4

comes from choosing the immediately easier outcome. easier as in I can go on about my life without having to deal with the crap that may come if I don't comply.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80097 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 08:07 AM

6. "I was on a jury where the prosecutor said we would hear from cops"
In response to Reply # 5

who were at the scene. We never heard from them. IMO that damaged the case. Also never showed the footage from the security cameras.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13144038 Previous topic | Next topic