Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13117479

Subject: "Anyone check out Neal Brennan's Netflix special?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone check out Neal Brennan's Netflix special?"
Tue Jan-24-17 10:20 AM by Dstl1

Thoughts? Never really heard dude speak before Desus and Mero the other night. He's a little...different.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Listening to Neal Brennan talk about black people embarasses me.
Jan 24th 2017
Yup. That's my problem with him
Jan 24th 2017
he got VERY in-depth on the subject of his depression...
Jan 24th 2017
Fam...he'd ask every black guest, "Did you go to school with whites?"
Jan 24th 2017
      Jesus Christ....
Jan 24th 2017
but i think it the realm of stand up, it works.
Jan 24th 2017
You may have a point.
Jan 24th 2017
      But then its no longer a joke and his genuine feelings
Jan 24th 2017
           yup
Jan 24th 2017
first thing I noticed...
Jan 24th 2017
      man.. that sig fits perfectly.
Jan 24th 2017
      I didn't even realize that it was a sig @ first
Jan 24th 2017
           LOL
Jan 24th 2017
      Ehhhh, his mentioning black people wasn't nearly as egregious as yall ar...
Jan 25th 2017
           I just finished it.
Jan 25th 2017
           Yeah, like I said, I've never watched or heard anything else he's done.
Jan 26th 2017
                Yup.
Jan 26th 2017
                     Gotcha
Jan 26th 2017
           I didn't think it was egregious, but I did notice it right away...
Jan 26th 2017
I hated his whole theory that the most successful black people
Jan 24th 2017
i want to listen to old Champs eps to find out when he said...
Jan 24th 2017
I'm biased
Jan 24th 2017
when Quest wrote how Neil was coaching him on singing nigger
Jan 24th 2017
Was that in Quest's book ?
Jan 27th 2017
honestly, when he was just telling jokes...yeah, I thought he was...
Jan 24th 2017
I think he kind of speaks to this in his 'Depression' piece
Jan 24th 2017
      It goes alot farther than that though.
Jan 26th 2017
           some of those quotes are problematic, for sure.
Jan 26th 2017
           I agree with what you're saying....
Jan 26th 2017
           Seen
Jan 26th 2017
                I misunderstood when you said 'I sometimes do the same thing'
Jan 26th 2017
           this is problematic FA SHO
Jan 27th 2017
           Louis CK/Chris Rock vs. Neil/Dave tho.
Jan 27th 2017
                yeah, Louie doesn't seem to have the need to "be down" like Neal.
Jan 27th 2017
How'd you all feel about the 3 mics format?
Jan 24th 2017
I only watched 5 minutes of it.
Jan 24th 2017
I thought it was really interesting...
Jan 24th 2017
The part that fascinated me the most, his refused use of public restroom...
Jan 24th 2017
I work with a guy like that.
Jan 24th 2017
      How far does he live from the office?
Jan 25th 2017
           Can't be far cause he's back in 30 minutes or so.
Jan 25th 2017
It was surprisingly decent. He didn't do his typical "Black Folk Whisper...
Jan 24th 2017
That's shit was brilliant. Loved it was such a different experience
Jan 24th 2017
pretty much how i feel about the typical OKP critiques of dude.
Jan 24th 2017
I thought it was very good. nm
Jan 24th 2017
I'll stand in this line
Jan 25th 2017
It's good.
Jan 25th 2017
It was good.
Jan 25th 2017
I thought it was good.
Jan 25th 2017
I'm on the fence after watching the whole thing.
Jan 26th 2017
solid 9/10. Thanks for promoting this OKP.
Jan 26th 2017
loved it
Jan 26th 2017

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Listening to Neal Brennan talk about black people embarasses me."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-17 11:08 AM by denny

Seriously...he's a shit hot writer so it's a shame. Someone needs to tell him....do an entire show without referring to your black friends and your perceived acceptance among black people. When he gets on that type of stuff...it's like his endearing himself to black people becomes more important than the actual comedy. And there's a very strange, almost karma-like phenomenon in which people who try THAT hard to be accepted by a group they don't actually belong to....inevitably, they end up saying something that is more offensive and insulting and demeaning to that group than anything said by someone who's indifferent to them and not trying to pander.

He's funny though. Excellent writing. He just needs to chill on the 'I'm one of the good whites' thing. There was one particular interview I read with him where he said some shit that was more racist and offensive (in my white opinion of course) than anything I've heard from Larry the cable guy.

Edit....damn I just went in search of some footage of him and the first thing to come outta his mouth 'Racially, I tend to side with black people....so they like me for that'. Close window lol. I mean...what the hell does that even mean? Racially I tend to side with black people. smh

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yup. That's my problem with him"
In response to Reply # 1

Since he's successful in that wheelhouse (Chapelle show, his podcasts tend to have a heavy amount of black guests) dude kinda has this nerdy, 'Im an EXPERT in this!' attitude that makes you want to punch him in the face. It's not even him being racist per say; you get the feeling he would be the same arrogant asshole if he felt he was an expert in like comics or something, lol.

But apparently he's heavily depressed and I guess the whole, 'IM THE WHITE GUY BLACK PEOPLE LOVE' is just hiding the insecurity underneath it all.

Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "he got VERY in-depth on the subject of his depression..."
In response to Reply # 2

almost uncomfortably so.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 04:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Fam...he'd ask every black guest, "Did you go to school with whites?""
In response to Reply # 2

Or some dumb shit like that, cuz he had a theory that Black people who went to school with whites were more successful or some shit.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 07:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "Jesus Christ...."
In response to Reply # 22
Tue Jan-24-17 08:21 PM by denny

Has it been suggested that Dave's abandoning the show was neither a personal breakdown or drug-induced spiral...but actually he just got so pissed off at Brennan that he had to leave the country to avoid strangling him to death?

I have a hard time believing that he really does have all black friends in real life. Maybe these particular friends benefit from knowing him in some way?

Reversing scenarios with race is problematic,,,,But I could never hang out with a black guy who says something like 'Racially, I tend to side with the whites and that's why they like me'.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35887 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:05 AM

3. "but i think it the realm of stand up, it works."
In response to Reply # 1

if he were giving a serious interview saying that shit, it would be cringeworthy.

but that's the beauty of comedy...the awkwardness of things makes it more fun

d

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:14 AM

4. "You may have a point."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Jan-24-17 11:15 AM by denny

I think it was reading interviews with him that really ruined it for me. Like most people...I was trying to check him out cause of his Dave connection so I read about him alot before actually watching the standup. So now when I see his standup I'm kinda looking for the pandering whereas if I hadn't read that stuff....I wouldn't be looking for it maybe? I don't know.

I tried watching the three mics thing and I was kinda uptight saying 'please don't talk about your black friends please dont' talk about your black friends. Talk about airplane food or something' To his credit...i think he got around 5 minutes in before it all came crashing down lol

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:16 AM

5. "But then its no longer a joke and his genuine feelings"
In response to Reply # 4

>I think it was reading interviews with him that really ruined
>it for me.

Like The Champs could have been a great podcast if he didn't spend so much of it trying to prove to his black guests how 'down' he is.

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 12:40 PM

12. "yup"
In response to Reply # 5

>Like The Champs could have been a great podcast if he didn't
>spend so much of it trying to prove to his black guests how
>'down' he is.

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:17 AM

6. "first thing I noticed..."
In response to Reply # 1

he started out one joke with "you know who likes me...black guys"...another something like "I hang out with a lot of black people".

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79989 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:22 AM

9. "man.. that sig fits perfectly."
In response to Reply # 6

I'm a little jealous

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 12:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I didn't even realize that it was a sig @ first"
In response to Reply # 9

Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:27 PM

18. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 14

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 10:57 PM

34. "Ehhhh, his mentioning black people wasn't nearly as egregious as yall ar..."
In response to Reply # 6

making it seem. At least on this stand up special. I've never listened to anything else from him before tonight, though, so I can't comment on any of that.

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 11:05 PM

36. "I just finished it."
In response to Reply # 34

You might have a point. I think we're sensitive to it because of how bad it's been in the past. I still think there's problematic stuff in the special....but not anything as bad as this interview which is, at time, absolutely nuts imo:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/samgf/neal-brennan-would-like-to-be-black-americas-ambassador-to-w?utm_term=.mvljjoKl1#.ijp55VzZq

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 07:38 AM

39. "Yeah, like I said, I've never watched or heard anything else he's done. "
In response to Reply # 36

Haven't really been interested because of the "I'm cool with black people" shit that has been discussed around here.

And I get what you're saying below about the middle mic stuff being rehearsed, and I get that. I give it a pass because I often do the same thing. When I have a point I really want to make and a delivery in which I want to make it, I stick to a script, so to speak, as best as I can. Still seemed genuine, to me, and like he wanted to make sure he said it just right.

denny
11281 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:57 PM

46. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 39

I was trying to say...I don't have a problem with it being scripted. Also don't have a problem in trying to pretend that it isn't scripted (that's artistic license imo). What I was saying is that it didn't work. He didn't WANT for it to look scripted but it was.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 09:01 PM

47. "Gotcha "
In response to Reply # 46

It definitely came off as scripted.

Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:34 AM

41. "I didn't think it was egregious, but I did notice it right away..."
In response to Reply # 34

and that was obviously before I made the post and realized that was kind of his "thing". I like you had zero exposure to him before watching this special on a whim the other day. I'd never even heard his voice before Desus and Mero last week.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49567 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:18 AM

7. "I hated his whole theory that the most successful black people"
In response to Reply # 0

are the ones who went to school with white people. Something like that.

I was all like "no, that's the successful black people that YOU will come into contact with".

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:26 AM

10. "i want to listen to old Champs eps to find out when he said..."
In response to Reply # 0

paraphrasing it:

"...a movement where we would have to say something very obvious and on the nose like "black lives matter" for it to hit"

and see where that lines up with the actual start of BLM

did he make that statement before or after the start of BLM?

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 11:27 AM

11. "I'm biased"
In response to Reply # 0

post-Chappelle's show I had read (or read INTO) so much problematic $hit about their relationship, it's hard for me to not judge him as the 'I Know BuhLACK People' kinda dude.

Even when D&M posted a pic with 'the homie Neal Brennan' I was like 'that nxgga not the homie, cuz.'

he comes across as the type a white dude that like being caled the #nWord.

so...in your opinion...was he funny?

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79989 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 12:48 PM

13. "when Quest wrote how Neil was coaching him on singing nigger"
In response to Reply # 11

for the nigger family skit I knew he wasn't the type of guy I would enjoy.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5223 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 02:46 PM

51. "Was that in Quest's book ?"
In response to Reply # 13

>for the nigger family skit I knew he wasn't the type of guy I
>would enjoy.
>
>

Damn I never read that.

---------------------------
Signature

Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 01:05 PM

15. "honestly, when he was just telling jokes...yeah, I thought he was..."

reasonably funny. I laughed out loud a few times, but the "so I was with my black friend" shit got old really quick.

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:09 PM

16. "I think he kind of speaks to this in his 'Depression' piece"

He openly admits he's a star-fucker and I think he believe black folk around him are 'stars' and can't help himself by mentioning it.

I think he hates that part of himself, but can't stop.

denny
11281 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 06:26 AM

38. "It goes alot farther than that though."
In response to Reply # 16

Like this quote:

"The reason I get along with black dudes better … is because they’re heartbroken and I’m heartbroken. My family broke my heart and America broke black people’s heart.

There were things I may not have gotten from my family experience that may also have been missing from a lot of black dudes I’m friends with."

This dude is saying he can relate to black people because he comes from a dysfunctional family? I'm not sure if I'd call it racist...perhaps? But regardless...that is just such a fucked up and stupid thing to say.

He says some truly jaw-dropping shit:

" I think saying a white person can’t write black characters is as racist as anything on earth. And it’s also insulting to black people. It’s like, “So, are you not human?” Because I can write about humans. A white person writing about black people is writing about humanity with a slight vernacular spin."

Someone should make a cohesive list of these comments lol:

"People almost never hear white people and black people talking for more than like two minutes. And white people are still sort of baffled by the fact that I have a lot of black friends. Look, I get a lot of access; I hear things that most people don’t get, from hanging out with black guys."

"There are certain lines that I’ll cross in my stand-up and I’ll get a laugh that’s kind of an “eh, that’s fucked up” laugh. And then I just stop saying it. I think when I do these kinds of jokes, though, it’s about pedigree and proximity. I’m squarely with black people. I’m not making fun of their plight. I’m kinda in it with them."

lol 'I'm kinda in it with them'? Seriously?

I'm not usually a gotchya you are a racist type person. But this guy actually warrants the scrutiny:

"The irony of what happened between us, though, is everyone saw it as this racial thing, but it wasn’t. What happened was post-racial. I wasn’t arguing with your black hero, I was arguing with my fucking friend of 15 years. We were arguing about racial comedy, but ultimately, I was arguing with my pain-in-the-ass friend. The way you have a television relationship with him, I have an actual relationship with him. Oprah and Dave made it into this racial thing, and I didn’t see it that way. We were arguing about racial comedy, but we were arguing about a lot of shit.

And there are some people who act like you can’t disagree with a black person. It’s like, “No, I do fucking disagree with him.” I was judging him for the content of his character! I was living Dr. King’s dream!"

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:02 AM

40. "some of those quotes are problematic, for sure. "
In response to Reply # 38

but this one not so much, IMO:

"People almost never hear white people and black people talking for more than like two minutes. And white people are still sort of baffled by the fact that I have a lot of black friends. Look, I get a lot of access; I hear things that most people don’t get, from hanging out with black guys."

i mean, most white people don't have black friends or interact with black people like that on a personal level. he is afforded access and hears things that others do not. look at our experience on this very message board as white dudes, we have access to and hear things that the majority of white people are completely ignorant to, which gives us a deeper and better understanding of the black experience. i would guess most white folks on these boards interact with black people at a MUCH higher rate than your average white person. that skews our perspective a bit on these type of issues, but remember, most white people pretty much only deal/interact with other white people. shout out to Atillah. he's been saying that around here for years.

denny
11281 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:17 PM

44. "I agree with what you're saying...."
In response to Reply # 40
Thu Jan-26-17 08:22 PM by denny

But that quote is problematic. I could go into more depths about ALL of those quotes but I think they mostly speak for themselves for OKPs.

But I'll break this one down a little further. Firstly, there are absolutely NO white people who are 'baffled' by him having black friends. He would probably like to THINK that's the case. But it really isn't. I mean...what does that 'baffled' state even look like in real life? 'Sheesh...it's so confusing that Neal is over there with a black guy. What's going on here' lol

Secondly, he's speaking as if he was a unicorn. There are hundreds of thousands (if not, millions) of white people who have black friends. He's portraying it as a secret 'black people's club' that has taught him the secret handshake. This turns black people into a monolith and himself into an authority.

BTW...all of these quotes are from ONE interview. I've read others and we could list ALOT more effed up things he says. The very idea of suggesting you are an 'ambassador' (he actually uses that word) or spokesperson for black people is so incredibly offensive imo.

Earlier in the interview he says 'People are often surprised that I didn't grow up in a black community'. NO THEY ARE NOT lol. In fact...i could pretty much GUARANTEE that he didn't grow up in a black community because those whites who have would never talk like this. The offensive shit he says is like the FIRST thing you learn NOT to say as a white minority in a black group. I say this as someone who probably made similar mistakes or said similar things when I was around 12 or 13 years old and got checked for it right away. What I CAN see as being common for him....He has money and perceptive people can probably recognize that he would LOVE to hear something like "I'm surprised you didn't grow up in a black community. It's like you are black on the inside!" (lol) Of course, this would be a good way of getting in his good books and receiving any endorsement or connections he might have to offer. I say THIS from experience as well. I'd like to think I'm humble enough to recognize when someone is giving me false praise (or at least, what they THINK i would consider praise) because they want something from me.

BTW...didn't know you were a comedian. Any clips on youtube or something like that? Is it a side-gig or full-time endeavor? I spent most of my life pursuing music on the side while working so not trying to dismiss you if you're a hobbyist. Any names you can offer to check-out? I tend to like Louis, Pryor, Cosby type things which I'd guess could be characterized as story-based acts.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 08:38 PM

45. "Seen "
In response to Reply # 44

Again, I haven't listened to or read anything from him outside this stand-up special and what has been said in this post. I understand he has and does say problematic things that I wouldn't agree with. Baffled seemed hyperbolic in the isolated quote, but I didn't hear or read the whole thing.

And no, I'm not a comedian. Not sure where you got that from Haha. Sure, I generally think that I'm a pretty funny dude, but it's mostly situational Haha.

denny
11281 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 09:55 PM

48. "I misunderstood when you said 'I sometimes do the same thing'"
In response to Reply # 45

up above. I thought you were referring to your own stand-up act. I can see how I went wrong now though.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 02:41 PM

49. "this is problematic FA SHO"
In response to Reply # 40

>but this one not so much, IMO:
>
>"People almost never hear white people and black people
>talking for more than like two minutes. And white people are
>still sort of baffled by the fact that I have a lot of black
>friends. Look, I get a lot of access; I hear things that most
>people don’t get, from hanging out with black guys."
>

what people? I'm a civil servant and for a NUMBER of years EVERYBODY damn near in this fkn building has seen me and him smoking, talking, taking lunch together...we were ALMOST inseparable until he used the word 'mandingo' in a joke, talking to another co-worker. I had to check.that.shit.

but when we talk we go IN. we both got spoiled kids, spoiled SO's and at a certain point were pretty miserable. so where you get this 2 minutes from? Dude was basically buying me lunch everyday so I could be his psychologist - with my OWN fucked up life.

Even when we 'broke up', when I told my wife she said 'well thass your fault...you let that nigga cook when he did x, y and Z..but you wanna stand on THIS? Puhlease. you and that ni99a need to make up so I can get a nice anniversary gift. LOL

Neil got some serious issues and that problematic therapy he calls a stand-up act is NOT the lick. But I'll watch. Kinda like I just watched these prison beheadings in Brazil: WITH MORBID CURIOSITY.

This dude sounds fucked up.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 02:44 PM

50. "Louis CK/Chris Rock vs. Neil/Dave tho."
In response to Reply # 38

>" I think saying a white person can’t write black characters
>is as racist as anything on earth. And it’s also insulting
>to black people. It’s like, “So, are you not human?”
>Because I can write about humans. A white person writing about
>black people is writing about humanity with a slight
>vernacular spin."

I know some of Chris Rock's 'blk ppl jokes' were probly written by Louis CK...so what (I wonder) is it about Louis' experience that informs him so well that he can get the jokes across w/o the problematic shit?

Neil just feels a need to belong or some $hit. cuz it aint that hard.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 02:55 PM

52. "yeah, Louie doesn't seem to have the need to "be down" like Neal."
In response to Reply # 50

but i thought the stand-up special was good Haha.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5616 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:25 PM

17. "How'd you all feel about the 3 mics format?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-17 03:26 PM by GOMEZ

I'm not a trove of comedy history by any means, but I can't think of anyone else who's done a show this way. I thought it was an interesting approach. I found myself looking forward to the one liners.

Agreed that the 'black people like me' stuff should probably be dropped at this point, but is probably always gonna be part of the Neal Brennan schtick.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 08:07 PM

25. "I only watched 5 minutes of it."
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Jan-24-17 08:08 PM by denny

But the format/concept looked promising to tell the truth. And those one-liners are kinda his bread'n'butter imo. Such a good writer. I'm waiting to watch it when my SO is not around so I don't feel embarrassed lol.

Dstl1
Charter member
56266 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 08:20 PM

27. "I thought it was really interesting..."
In response to Reply # 17

when he first started out at the 1st mic with the index cards, I didn't get it...then the lights go out, they come back on and he's at the next mic doing regular stand up...then the 3rd mic he'd get really personal, with a few jokes mixed in.

Cam
Charter member
13288 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 03:43 PM

19. "The part that fascinated me the most, his refused use of public restroom..."
In response to Reply # 0

To have only used to public restrooms in life, how can you function in the world?

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 08:09 PM

26. "I work with a guy like that."
In response to Reply # 19

He goes home on his lunch-break to use the washroom. And it's not a germs thing. Weird

Cam
Charter member
13288 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 12:03 PM

29. "How far does he live from the office?"
In response to Reply # 26

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 03:23 PM

32. "Can't be far cause he's back in 30 minutes or so."
In response to Reply # 29

He's kinda cool so I've actually talked to him about it. Says he can't stand the thought of someone else smelling his shit and it makes him feel embarrassed. And that he felt the same way as a child and by the time he was in highschool he never shit in a public restroom again.

I didn't say it...but I suspected perhaps he was given a complex by his guardians during potty-training. Like a method of punishment or shame that some idiots use on their kids.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 04:43 PM

20. "It was surprisingly decent. He didn't do his typical "Black Folk Whisper..."
In response to Reply # 0

shit.

There were some parts where he teetered that way and I cringed and even said "Nooooooooo don't.". But he steered away. It was like he can't help himself.

When his comedy is about himself or just jokes. It's solid. Not great. But solid.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 04:44 PM

21. "That's shit was brilliant. Loved it was such a different experience"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-24-17 04:49 PM by Heinz

Of course OKP will hate him for OKP reasons LOL man you guys live a miserable existence

PROMO
Charter member
31121 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "pretty much how i feel about the typical OKP critiques of dude. "
In response to Reply # 21

you know, the ones like those above your reply.

3 Mics was not only dope, it was original. Hard to get both these days.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Jan-24-17 05:03 PM

23. "I thought it was very good. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 12:55 PM

31. "I'll stand in this line"
In response to Reply # 23

I thought dude did his thing...nm

Triptych
Charter member
30127 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
30. "It's good. "
In response to Reply # 0

He does do a little "black folk whisperer" nonsense, but overall it's a great conceit and great performance. Fairly original premise. Worth a watch for any standup fan.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 03:26 PM

33. "It was good."
In response to Reply # 0

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Jan-25-17 11:01 PM

35. "I thought it was good. "
In response to Reply # 0

His middle mic shit was about as open and honest as you could possibly be. The stand-up was good. The one liners were OK, but I enjoyed the other two parts better.

denny
11281 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 01:19 AM

37. "I'm on the fence after watching the whole thing."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-26-17 01:21 AM by denny

The comedy/writing is top notch. We've already covered the black pandering thing of which there are some cringy moments but I was capable of setting it aside for the good stuff.

But I'm not sure about the confessional style thing he did. It kinda reminded me of that Louis CK bit in the episode 'A la Carte' where an amateur comedian goes for a confessional style and Louis tells him he's losing perspective of what he's supposed to be doing. It also seemed a little overwrought and rehearsed. Like he was pretending to be lost for words but in actuality was sticking to a very precise script and planned delivery. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...if it works. But I felt like I kinda saw through it. It came off rehearsed, including him being lost for words and the long pauses until he lands on the exact note he was building up to. Didn't feel natural to me. At the same time...I kinda commend him for trying to do something different and somewhat daring. Just didn't think that part was executed well in it's transparency.

There was some golden lines in there though. And this being the first stand-up of his that I've seen....I could totally recognize his writing style from the Chappelle show which kinda persuaded me into thinking he deserves more credit for that show than I previously assumed.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 10:37 AM

42. "solid 9/10. Thanks for promoting this OKP. "
In response to Reply # 0

I laughed and nearly cried a bunch. it was good

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Thu Jan-26-17 01:56 PM

43. "loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

been on his comedy for a minute

Red, Black, Green

Lobby General Discussion topic #13117479 Previous topic | Next topic