Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12978820

Subject: "Dear Black America, Please Stop Giving Beyonce A Pass On “Formation"" Previous topic | Next topic
DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dear Black America, Please Stop Giving Beyonce A Pass On “Formation""

http://thehigherlearning.com/2016/02/19/dear-black-america-please-stop-giving-beyonce-a-pass-on-formation/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I hate hate these sort of pieces. Hate.
Feb 25th 2016
why? im interested in hearing your beef w it
Feb 25th 2016
      Let me run it down.
Feb 26th 2016
i'm curious to know what their point is but not curious enough to read a...
Feb 25th 2016
Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing, but it started off on convenience
Feb 25th 2016
neither the song nor video are as 'political' as ppl said.
Feb 25th 2016
yup.
Feb 25th 2016
it's Beyonce, not Angela Davis or Assatta Shakur
Feb 25th 2016
she gets a gold star for trying.
Feb 25th 2016
^
Feb 26th 2016
She repped Panthers at the Super Bowl off that song
Feb 25th 2016
essentially: "WE ARE NOT A MONOLITH"
Feb 25th 2016
This kind of song analysis is the dumbest shit
Feb 25th 2016
There are two types of people in this world...
Feb 25th 2016
Anything helps. We aren't playing for 'keeping it real' points
Feb 25th 2016
I'll just leave this here...
Feb 25th 2016
cliff notes version: "ppl getting tired of B's bad bitch persona"
Feb 25th 2016
she gets props for taken a stand, though the song
Feb 25th 2016
smh... It's baffling how much people are putting on this song
Feb 26th 2016
She saluted the Black Panthers at the Super Bowl
Feb 26th 2016
when ppl said B would get more backlash than kendrick
Feb 26th 2016
this would be expected from Kendrick so no backlash.
Feb 26th 2016
SUPERBOWL>>>>>> grammies
Feb 26th 2016
rappers are allowed to be Blackity Black. pop singers, not so much.
Feb 26th 2016
      yonce got the too black critics & the not black enough critics tho
Feb 26th 2016

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49771 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I hate hate these sort of pieces. Hate. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

_deacon_
Member since Jan 22nd 2014
147 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:29 PM

2. "why? im interested in hearing your beef w it"
In response to Reply # 1

---

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49771 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 01:51 PM

25. "Let me run it down. "
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Feb-26-16 01:52 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

1. Don't instruct me how I should feel about art.
2. When did Beyonce claim this is a political statement?
3. How you going to tell other people how to do their art. Either you dig it or you don't. Don't tell an artist or an entertainer what there art should be.
4. How you going to be dismissive of what you state they'be done for the moment. Did a documentary, bail BLM protesters out of jail and donated 1.5M to BLM, that all sounds pretty substantial and I gaurantee more than what the writer has done.
5. And how are you going to diss for being late to the party then list all she had done before the superbowl?
6. How you going to diss two lines of the song because it "conveniently glosses over the history of colorism that’s baked into Creole identity." How was she suppose to address all that in two lines of a song? One of the dumber critiques in this piece.
7. And the whole thing about Beyonce using the footage without permission is just wrong. I would have fact checked that before publishing because they got too many lawyers to do something so stupid.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/06/beyonce-formation-music-video-that-beat

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:31 PM

3. "i'm curious to know what their point is but not curious enough to read a..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:39 PM

5. "Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing, but it started off on convenience"
In response to Reply # 3

now that black activism is in the headlines, all of the sudden she's 'conscious', etc...

and TBH, I would expect ALOT of people have had an awakening since BLM became active

the rest, again, I didn't read the whole thing

started to sound like a dissertation on the historical context of some of the language, imagery, etc...

ehh

we know what she meant w/o the history lesson

I actually expected more of this post K.

I am interested in the hit dogs, but the think pieces...yawn...miss me with that

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "neither the song nor video are as 'political' as ppl said."
In response to Reply # 3

and the video has problematic politics.

..that's basically it.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "yup."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:52 PM

7. "it's Beyonce, not Angela Davis or Assatta Shakur"
In response to Reply # 0

what she did wasn't revolutionary but damn. give her credit for saying SOMETHING.

i heard a story about somebody asking michael jordan to speak out in favor of a democrat running for office against a racist republican in north carolina where MJ is held in high regard. they said jordan refused and explained the refusal by saying something about republicans buying sneakers too.

not sure how true the story is but i believed it (still do, even though i haven't properly fact-checked it) because it seems like some shit he would say/do.

anyway

we live in a time where the jordans of the world have all these eyes on them and they have the chance to influence millions and they don't say or do anything.

beyonce said something. she did something. and for me that counts for something...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:53 PM

8. "she gets a gold star for trying."
In response to Reply # 7

fuck you.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13698 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 11:33 AM

21. "^"
In response to Reply # 8

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5652 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 02:04 PM

9. "She repped Panthers at the Super Bowl off that song"
In response to Reply # 7

That's not insignificant. I'm not really the type to question when someone gets on board with a movement like BLM. Better late than never.

The craziest and most significant thing about the whole thing to me is the fact that the movement is big enough that an artist like Beyonce can get on board and show support in a public space, and still get paid off of it. BLM/Civil Rights is at a point in this country where the biggest pop stars can show public support. For better or worse it's going mainstream, which has to be the ultimate goal.

The writer can pick Formation apart all he wants, and as a song/video, it's not perfect, but sheeit... put it in context and look at the big picture.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 02:16 PM

10. "essentially: "WE ARE NOT A MONOLITH""
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15932 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 02:36 PM

11. "This kind of song analysis is the dumbest shit"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-25-16 02:40 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

The think-piecer wants to inject what they want into the song. Write your own damn song if you want to talk about something else.

This part is especially dumb. Beyonce has one simple line about her heritage. This think-piecer instead wishes she squeezed a dissertation about her heritage into a 4 minute song.
Dude says it "....conveniently glosses over the history of colorism..." lol. Of course it does. It's a song not a conference presentation.

“My daddy Alabama, Momma Louisiana / You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bama”

→ Beyoncé reppin’ her Southern roots while alluding to a bit of black history (“bama” was a slang term used to describe working class blacks during the Great Migration) — I can dig it. However, this section also conveniently glosses over the history of colorism that’s baked into Creole identity. Here’s a great explanation from Yaba Blay, a black writer and professor from New Orleans:

“Having grown up black-Black (read: dark-skinned) in colorstruck New Awlins, hearing someone, particularly a woman, make a distinction between Creole and “Negro” is deeply triggering. This isn’t just for me but for many New Orleanians.

For generations, Creoles—people descended from a cultural/racial mixture of African, French, Spanish and/or Native American people—have distinguished themselves racially from “regular Negroes.” In New Orleans, phenotype—namely “pretty color and good hair”—translates to (relative) power.

In this context, people who are light skinned, with non-kinky hair and the ability to claim a Creole heritage have had access to educational, occupational, social and political opportunities that darker skinned, kinkier-haired, non-Creole folks have been denied. In many ways, among those of us who are not Creole and whose skin is dark brown, the claiming of a Creole identity is read as rejection. And I’m not just talking about history books or critical race theory. I’m talking about on-the-ground, real-life experiences.”

Anonymous
Charter member
23246 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 02:39 PM

12. "There are two types of people in this world..."
In response to Reply # 0

And you can use this song as the split.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 02:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Anything helps. We aren't playing for 'keeping it real' points"
In response to Reply # 0

Even if the shit is a callous cash grab, it gets the message out there so who gives a fuck.

Not like there hasn't been some revolutionaries out who first joined up because of someone they were dating/had a crush on

Anonymous
Charter member
23246 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 06:22 PM

14. "I'll just leave this here..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/iU_A2FzcuQ0

Your welcome

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 07:06 PM

15. "cliff notes version: "ppl getting tired of B's bad bitch persona""
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 10:08 PM

16. "she gets props for taken a stand, though the song"
In response to Reply # 0

was weak sauce IMO. video was cool. i think if she made a concept all the way through then it would seem like something even more. we shall see, but i expected this because Hollywood and that industry is so racist and it happens to everybody eventually.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 12:07 AM

17. "smh... It's baffling how much people are putting on this song"
In response to Reply # 0

and video..

I guess its a statement to how void current music is of real socio/political commentary that they are acting like Beyoncé is friggin Fela Kuti because of one song...a video...and some costumes on some back up dancers...

People are honestly just stupid right now....

it's Beyoncé.... really??

I don't get it...

the imagery in the video isn't super powerful...it's a clever commentary..it's effective.... but I mean it's not a Public Enemy or NWA video...

She's saying I'm Black...and Black people are getting fukked with right now... She's not even saying it in a mean way...lol..

in the context of Black social commentary in the Arts..... I mean it was Beyoncé... it was Beyoncé's version of that, and it was cool....the song bangs....

People who have a problem with that..honestly...... they suspect to me. You got another agenda going on if yo azz got to act like Beyoncé or what she's saying is threat to anything..

over analyzing Beyoncé's lyrics is just too much...her lyrics aren't supposed to be deep or subliminal or controversial ...she not even coherent sometimes... I mean I'm dissing her, but her shit ain't supposed to warrant linguistic analysis...lol...

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5660 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 02:16 AM

18. "She saluted the Black Panthers at the Super Bowl"
In response to Reply # 0

AT THE DAMN SUPER BOWL....im not a big fan of hers but she gets much respect for that

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "when ppl said B would get more backlash than kendrick"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought they were exaggerating

I guess somebody would take shots no matter what direction she goes tho

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85284 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 11:31 AM

20. "this would be expected from Kendrick so no backlash."
In response to Reply # 19

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80826 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 11:41 AM

22. "SUPERBOWL>>>>>> grammies"

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35908 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 12:00 PM

23. "rappers are allowed to be Blackity Black. pop singers, not so much."

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 12:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "yonce got the too black critics & the not black enough critics tho"
In response to Reply # 23

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12978820 Previous topic | Next topic