Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12975389

Subject: "Generational Wealth: Are you getting an inheritance?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Generational Wealth: Are you getting an inheritance?"
Wed Feb-17-16 03:18 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

A big part of the increase in economic inequality over the years is due to wealth inequality rather than income inequality. A large driver of wealth inequality, especially across racial lines, is inheritances. Slavery and Jim Crow is a major reason for this (redlining, unequal education/employment,etc) as blacks were not able to accumulate assets.

In recent generations blacks are starting to be able to accumulate some level of wealth, but I am wondering if there is a psychological or cultural component to inheritances. Some people are proud of the fact that they received no help and they expect those that follow them to do the same.

Did you get or are you expecting to receive any inheritance from your family?
Did your parents receive any assets from previous generations?

Going forward, do you plan to pass on wealth to your children or are you going to make them bootstrap it?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm an only child with no first cousins, so I'm going to get alot.
Feb 17th 2016
I know at least 3 jewish kids who inherited a good piece of money
Feb 17th 2016
i didn't get any from my side, but my wife did.
Feb 17th 2016
my parents both held stable but modest jobs...
Feb 17th 2016
Me and my oldest sister was supposed to get one from my greatgrandpops
Feb 17th 2016
i guess i am.
Feb 17th 2016
assuming the house is paid off, sell it below its value.
Feb 17th 2016
Yes for Mom
Feb 17th 2016
No, I won't be getting anything.
Feb 17th 2016
RE: Generational Wealth: Are you getting an inheritance?
Feb 17th 2016
my kids will from their moms side of the family
Feb 17th 2016
Not in my working class family.
Feb 17th 2016
my brother and I were supposed to get....
Feb 17th 2016
yeah im inheriting their brokeness.
Feb 17th 2016
lol
Feb 17th 2016
i'm getting to pay 20k in funeral costs or angry siblings...
Feb 17th 2016
One of my parents got from their parents but didnt need it/touch it.
Feb 17th 2016
I'm not getting shit
Feb 18th 2016
my grandfather left some cheese but since he had 8 children...
Feb 18th 2016
Fortunately, yes
Feb 18th 2016
Debt.
Feb 18th 2016
Probably something
Feb 18th 2016
Nursing Homes and Reverse Mortgages
Feb 18th 2016
my pops always said he's gonna leave me his debt and my education
Feb 18th 2016
Not expecting anything, no.
Feb 19th 2016
yes
Feb 19th 2016
hard knocks + black life + high cholesterol
Feb 19th 2016
My Dad left me and my siblings an inheritance when he
Feb 19th 2016
Grandmom's house; its underwater. Renting it to break even until I think...
Feb 19th 2016
My uncle died recently...
Feb 19th 2016

Teknontheou
Charter member
32711 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm an only child with no first cousins, so I'm going to get alot."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't say that with full joy because it will only come after my parents and grandparents and 1 aunt are all gone, but I will get all of it. But hopefully that won't be for a good while.

With my parents and grandparents I think it will largely be houses. My aunt has a house on Capitol Hill and is quite cakey right now, too.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49556 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I know at least 3 jewish kids who inherited a good piece of money "
In response to Reply # 0

from an aunt with no heirs. Crazy.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59205 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i didn't get any from my side, but my wife did."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:52 PM

4. "my parents both held stable but modest jobs..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-17-16 03:53 PM by murderbear

They lived relatively frugally in nyc, and put enough away to be comfortable with pensions and savings.

When they are gone, they'll leave behind enough to cover burial and to pay off MY mortgage, leaving me with any easier path to set aside savings for me to pass down.

They are in good health but we went over all paperwork/accounts about two weeks ago.

I'm actually very proud of their accomplishments/preparation.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:54 PM

5. "Me and my oldest sister was supposed to get one from my greatgrandpops"
In response to Reply # 0

He got sick in the 90's and his money dried up due to paying for medical bills and whomever he had managing the money fucking up his taxes.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i guess i am."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-17-16 03:55 PM by SoWhat

>Did you get or are you expecting to receive any inheritance
>from your family?

my parents are going to leave me with their house and/or cars. i doubt there will be any cash. i'm going to sell the house/cars for $.

honestly that's kind of a huge pain in the ass. i mean...i'll like having the house for a few days b/c of the sentimental value or w/e. but...selling it will be a massive hassle. i REALLY hope they sell it before they die.

>Did your parents receive any assets from previous
>generations?

no.

>Going forward, do you plan to pass on wealth to your children
>or are you going to make them bootstrap it?

i ain't got no kids. i am grateful every single day that i ain't got no kids. i have absolutely no desire to be a parent. none.

fuck you.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59205 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 05:00 PM

14. "assuming the house is paid off, sell it below its value."
In response to Reply # 6

hopefully you can get rid of it quickly.

I know someone who was in a similar predicament but wanted to get every dollar he could out of it. Took him over a year to sell and wound up paying about $10,000 in ins/taxes and other bills over the year's time.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

handle
Charter member
18974 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 03:59 PM

7. "Yes for Mom"
In response to Reply # 0

It'll be equity in a house with a mortgage plus whatever's in the bank account and the furniture. It won't be enough to pay the house off or buy a new house, but it'll be okay.

Only child.

When dad died I got some cash (not much) and 2 years of a retirement stipend - like 12k in total.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Hitokiri
Charter member
22138 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 04:01 PM

8. "No, I won't be getting anything."
In response to Reply # 0

hopefully, i'll have something to leave my kids.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 04:03 PM

9. "RE: Generational Wealth: Are you getting an inheritance?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, I am. My mom, dad and my grandparents. I don't like to think about it, but yeah...

My mom has recently moved so the next time I head to her home, I'm sure I'll get the "incaseshittour2016". I'll get land and jewelry from my grandparents and I'll get money from my Dad.

I really hate thinking of my grandparents and parents as sources of wealth when they die. I would give it all away if it meant keeping them here. But I know that's not possible.

As far as my daughter, my mom has already set up an account for her, we have an account for her, and anything that we acquire will go to her.

My hubby being an only child will get my mother in law's assets. He really doesn't care.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16804 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "my kids will from their moms side of the family"
In response to Reply # 0

my wife hasnt touched hers

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

PROMO
Charter member
31107 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 04:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Not in my working class family."
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, when my grandfather died he left a few grand to each of his kids.

that's the only inheritance i've ever seen in my family.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 04:13 PM

12. "my brother and I were supposed to get...."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-17-16 04:14 PM by Selah

...my grandam's house and property

her brother, who was in control sold it all off and we got nothing

it actually hurts to go there and see my gramma's house

past that?

nah

post edit...(finishing the thought)

at this stage if we don't get stuck with DEBT i will be quite happy

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85132 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 04:16 PM

13. "yeah im inheriting their brokeness."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 05:14 PM

15. "lol"
In response to Reply # 13

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 08:00 PM

16. "i'm getting to pay 20k in funeral costs or angry siblings..."
In response to Reply # 0

that's about it. if i'm lucky, my aunt and uncle will pay for my father's funeral.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Wed Feb-17-16 09:45 PM

17. "One of my parents got from their parents but didnt need it/touch it. "
In response to Reply # 0

My other parent didn't get a thing.
They did a lot for themselves given where they came from.
Growing up I've always heard that " God bless the child....." talk so I grew up with no expectations of anything. Mom used to always tell me about a friend of hers who used to brag about waiting on their parents to die to inherit this and that and ended up dying of heart disease before the parents. I often wonder if it was a true story or one to scare me into working for my own shit lol.

When I became a parent though, the talk became the continuation/legacy talk. They encourage me to do my own thing but remind me I have something to continue when they're gone. I accept that and plan to.
I'm already putting that into my kid's head too.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 10:21 AM

18. "I'm not getting shit"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79947 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 11:38 AM

19. "my grandfather left some cheese but since he had 8 children..."
In response to Reply # 0

well, do the math. He still broke us off so with a nice lol chunk so I won't complain.

My dad has no money and my mom was killed in a car accident so we got a settlement.

I was able to make a down payment on our house with that money and plan on keeping this property for my daughter.

my wife's mom has a home in Southport and so think she is leaving it to my wife or she will split it with her sister. I'm sure my wife is getting broke off though.

Her can built houses all over Southport, NC. A small port town that used to be all black that is now filled with white people. Especially since that damn Safe Haven movie came out.

Definitely going to leave my kid some money and property.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Khalil19
Charter member
6833 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 12:13 PM

20. "Fortunately, yes"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't like to dwell on it because that person is far more valuable to my life while they're living. I'm working towards not needing it for myself but maybe it'll benefit my children as they begin to carve out a life for themselves!

You don't impress me!!

RIP Reggie...I love you!! http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/Mynewstuff2011/RegLover.jpg

https://twitter.com/hawkcomedy

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44631 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 12:16 PM

21. "Debt. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready..for your blessing..."

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 12:21 PM

22. "Probably something"
In response to Reply # 0

but hopefully it's going to be a long time from now, so I don't even think about it.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

naame
Charter member
21023 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 02:14 PM

23. "Nursing Homes and Reverse Mortgages "
In response to Reply # 0

are really fucking up black people's inheritances. Most of us don't have any real investments outside of our homes and from what I can tell, so many seniors took out reverse mortgages on homes which now have them underwater, that any planned inheritance is going down the drain.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 03:17 PM

24. "my pops always said he's gonna leave me his debt and my education"
In response to Reply # 0

i didn't go to college so he owes me there...

nah i assume my sisters and i will split the house and whatever insurance they have. hopefully this is far down the road.

--sig--
n/a

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 07:13 AM

25. "Not expecting anything, no."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-19-16 07:14 AM by TheAlbionist

(YT)

Parents did pretty well, but we've told them to try and spend it all. They spent enough on us already when we were kids and they deserve luxury for a couple of decades.

I'm scraping by under my own steam and so is my oldest brother. If anything's left, it'll be directed towards my other brother who's never properly found his feet moneywise.

))<>((
forever.

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 08:01 AM

26. "yes"
In response to Reply # 0

neither of my parents grew up rich (though my mom would probably have gotten a lot had her dad not passed when she was 13) the little my mom did get when her mom died allowed them to by the house i grew up in. My dad has done very well for himself, and i assume me and my sisters if nothing else will be left real estate worth quite a bit.

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 08:35 AM

27. "hard knocks + black life + high cholesterol"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-19-16 08:36 AM by 2.tears.in.a.bucket

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 11:02 AM

28. "My Dad left me and my siblings an inheritance when he "
In response to Reply # 0

died. I haven't touched it yet. I guess I'll also get my parents house and any savings. My grandparents are dead and we have their houses. We're renting them out, and it's a huge pain.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 12:21 PM

29. "Grandmom's house; its underwater. Renting it to break even until I think..."
In response to Reply # 0

Something better to do

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 12:25 PM

30. "My uncle died recently..."
In response to Reply # 0

At some point my dumb aunt who never finished high school convinced him to cancel his life insurance because he was paying for it each month.

When he died she was surprised that instead of getting his whole pension now she only gets half of it. which is barely enough to cover her mortgage...

I kid you not it was the most undignified funeral service I have ever seen. I dont even like talking about it. there was a viewing and he was in a wood box with a blanket covering hit bottom half ...

But to answer I havent discussed it with my mom. but I know my dad has a policy that will go to me.

I dont expect it to be kick back money but it will surely cover his burial...

I have an insurance policy on my self and Creflo Dollar is the beneficiary...

SHA NA NAH!!!!! HE COMING IN A HONDA!!!!

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12975389 Previous topic | Next topic