Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12937149

Subject: "When white girls sell drugs, they walk (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80108 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"When white girls sell drugs, they walk (swipe)"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/01/when-white-girls-deal-drugs-they-walk.html

Smh...wonder where she got the drugs from?

Twenty-four hours after authorities arrested Sarah Furay on charges of drug possession and manufacture charges, the 19-year-old Texan was safe at home.

Inside the bedroom of her College Station apartment police found large amounts of Ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana, methamphetamine, and an LSD analogue. They also found packing materials and two digital scales. Following the seizure, Furay was taken to Brazos County Jail, where the evidently unruffled teen smiled for a mugshot.

After posting $39,000 bail, she left.
In the days after her arrest, multiple news organizations ran stories focusing not on her crimes as much as her “photogenic smile.” Her picture was coined the “happiest mugshot in America” and the “jolliest in recent history.”

Rather than a criminal act, her offense was called “an entrepreneurial approach to avoiding student loan debt." The icing on the cake was news (broken by Death and Taxes) that her father is a “head honcho” at the local DEA office—a fact that was treated more as a potential TV plot line than a damning fact.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
She'll go through life playing on 'easy' mode, with cheat codes
Dec 02nd 2015
Eh...its not like they just let her walk...she posted bail
Dec 02nd 2015
you already know. a slap on the wrist.
Dec 02nd 2015
      i dunno for sure but probably not.
Dec 02nd 2015
           i guess we'll see.
Dec 02nd 2015
           not really.
Dec 02nd 2015
                right on. good insight.
Dec 02nd 2015
           Watching something similar play out now with this woman:
Dec 02nd 2015
How To Get Rich Selling Drugs says otherwsie
Dec 02nd 2015
OITNB? really?
Dec 02nd 2015
      Not a story based on a woman locked up for trafficking?
Dec 02nd 2015
white women, scratch that upper mid to upper class
Dec 02nd 2015
Martha Stewart ?
Dec 02nd 2015
This is the same country that burned many women at the stake right?
Dec 02nd 2015
i forgot about your love for white women...
Dec 02nd 2015
      When did America officially begin to value women?
Dec 02nd 2015
      For every master there was a misses who was just as brutal
Dec 02nd 2015
      We're talking about a peceived bias in the law favoring women
Dec 02nd 2015
           White women have always been valued societally over people of color
Dec 02nd 2015
                In general women are more valued as possessions then as people
Dec 02nd 2015
                An attribute that keeps you out of a cage for 20 yrs is not discriminati...
Dec 02nd 2015
                     l'm not sure what you're getting at with that statement.
Dec 02nd 2015
                          You're right... It's completely analogous.
Dec 02nd 2015
                               white men dont have vagina's
Dec 03rd 2015
                               Lol neither of those are false statements though.
Dec 03rd 2015
                               I read that by the way. I get the theory on the surface,
Dec 03rd 2015
                if a Black girl was caught with all that shit what are the chances...
Dec 02nd 2015
                     I'd respond similarly if I didn't have a response for the points made
Dec 02nd 2015
      RE: When did America officially begin to value women?
Dec 03rd 2015
           don't disagree, but a little money will give most an edge
Dec 03rd 2015
      FYI they burned black women too.
Dec 03rd 2015
There are literally 10's of thousands of white women in prison for drug ...
Dec 02nd 2015
The aclu says different than drugfacts.com
Dec 02nd 2015
      The stats I posted agree with you.
Dec 02nd 2015
           Post 19
Dec 02nd 2015
                I scanned it.
Dec 02nd 2015
                     I take issue with the 10% over/under stat...
Dec 02nd 2015
                          So do I.
Dec 03rd 2015
                               folks don't want to hear that. It's bad enough we have to live together
Dec 03rd 2015
im sure her familial ties to the DEA are way less of a factor
Dec 02nd 2015
If I'm a drug boss reading this....I'm firing all my blacks
Dec 03rd 2015
where I used to live the delivery ppl were white girls
Dec 03rd 2015

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13621 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "She'll go through life playing on 'easy' mode, with cheat codes"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-02-15 11:42 AM by flipnile

We gotta go through life playing on 'hard' mode, with only one man.

Fuck it... it is what it is.

Edit: This is why it's hard to have sympathy for those suburban pill poppers in that other post.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 12:00 PM

2. "Eh...its not like they just let her walk...she posted bail"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm more curious about how her trial/sentencing goes

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 12:49 PM

3. "you already know. a slap on the wrist."
In response to Reply # 2

>I'm more curious about how her trial/sentencing goes

an entrepreneurial plan to avoid student debt?? F. O. H.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 12:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i dunno for sure but probably not."
In response to Reply # 3

likely BECAUSE her father is who he is - she might actually catch a more harsh sentence than she might otherwise b/c the judge may want to avoid the appearance of undue influence.

kinda like what happens w/celebs in court.

fuck you.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 12:54 PM

6. "i guess we'll see. "
In response to Reply # 5

but don't most celebs get off kinda light? plea down or whatever? seems like they more often than not avoid jail time that the average joe would get if he/she committed the same crime.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 01:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "not really."
In response to Reply # 6

>but don't most celebs get off kinda light? plea down or
>whatever?

if the case receives media attention the opposite tends to happen - sentencing judges want to avoid the appearance that they're going light on the celeb b/c of their status so they tend to issue more harsh sentences than they might if the case hadn't received media attention.

seems like they more often than not avoid jail time
>that the average joe would get if he/she committed the same
>crime.

average joes often also avoid jail time. all of that depends on several factors - most important the defendant's criminal history. defendants w/'clean' histories usually receive a favorable outcome. also, defendants w/solid defenses available at trial tend to receive favorable outcomes when they plead guilty before trial - b/c the prosecution has incentive to resolve the case w/o trial.

plus, the gen pop often places undue value on a sentence that doesn't involve jail. i didn't see this b4 i became a lawyer - but it's usually better for folks to accept a jail sentence of a few months or even a year or so instead of accepting a years-long probation sentence. b/c being on probation for several years is tough! and folks are likely to violate their conditions which can result in re-sentencing to jail or extended probation w/added conditions. i find myself advising folks to take jail over probation. those who reject the advice regularly end up back in court on a probation violation anyway....

fuck you.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 01:09 PM

9. "right on. good insight."
In response to Reply # 7

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13621 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 01:04 PM

8. "Watching something similar play out now with this woman:"
In response to Reply # 5

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20140925_Anti-gay_slurs_on_Twitter_account_of_young_woman_accused_in_beating_of_two_gay_men.html
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-blinq/Americas-Tweetheart-.html

She was part of a assault on a gay couple here (hate crime). Her pop's is the police chief of one of the suburbs around here. Her Twitter account is a bonus, because it prevents her being portrayed as some innocent little angel that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 12:49 PM

4. "How To Get Rich Selling Drugs says otherwsie "
In response to Reply # 0

in fact it would say that they can also be killed when coerced into NARC'ing by the cops. See also -- Orange Is The New Black.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
80108 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 02:49 PM

11. "OITNB? really? "
In response to Reply # 4

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 02:59 PM

12. "Not a story based on a woman locked up for trafficking?"
In response to Reply # 11

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 02:39 PM

10. "white women, scratch that upper mid to upper class "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-02-15 02:40 PM by boyd

white women has always had it easy even through the
women suffrage movement.

the feminist mystique said it all

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 03:00 PM

13. "Martha Stewart ? "
In response to Reply # 10

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 03:15 PM

14. "This is the same country that burned many women at the stake right?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it may be fair to say all women are treated poorly in America (and the world) and there is likely a hierarchy to it combined with ignorance regarding it due to the illusion of whiteness.

legsdiamond
80108 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 04:19 PM

15. "i forgot about your love for white women..."
In response to Reply # 14

hehe

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 04:29 PM

16. "When did America officially begin to value women?"
In response to Reply # 15

Or are the laws that have been written to keep women subservient under penalty of imprisonment or death too overwhelming to answer that question?

Many a woman was raped, tarred, feathered, etc. for teaching black people how to read and write. Do you think the "police" of that day were interested in seeking justice for any of these women?

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 06:42 PM

17. "For every master there was a misses who was just as brutal"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Dec-02-15 06:53 PM by Sarah_Bellum

that commanded rape, whippings, starvation, castration and the sale of children, siblings and spouses to control and punish slaves in the house, which would have been strictly under her control.
Those white women vastly out numbered the alphabet negro loving ones y'all love to tout by probably 10000:1.
But keep writing that ahistorical love letter.

DJTB YOMM

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 07:08 PM

18. "We're talking about a peceived bias in the law favoring women "
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Dec-02-15 07:09 PM by Atillah Moor

of European descent and my point is that historically speaking there seems to be many laws that were created to control ALL women and that the lack of law enforcement when ANY woman is killed or abused seems to be applied to women of ALL backgrounds.

Whites commit the majority of their crimes among whites and the same is true for blacks therefore more often than not women will be treated with unfair bias within their own ethnic groups. It's when there's a dispute between black and white that you will likely see bias in favor of white over black IMO.

So again -- when did America begin to value women?

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 07:31 PM

19. "White women have always been valued societally over people of color"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Dec-02-15 07:40 PM by Sarah_Bellum

of any gender. If you have doubts about that I don't have the energy to argue the obvious with you.
No one said white women don't face discrimination but they are least likely to be incarcerated when they commit crimes and most likely to receive lighter sentences than any other group, they are also the most likely to receive mental health services and rehabilitation instead of jail time than any other group... including white men!
Is that something that something that happens when you're not valued in society?
Meanwhile the incarceration rate for black women has increased 800% in the past 20 years, literally. We are the fastest group closing the gap between black men any anyone else when it comes to incarceration...
https://www.aclu.org/words-prison-did-you-know

So like I said keep writing those white women love letters. If no one else values them... you do.

DJTB YOMM

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 07:44 PM

20. "In general women are more valued as possessions then as people "
In response to Reply # 19

So white women being more valued as possessions among mostly white men seems to fall into that my mistreatment carries more weight than your mistreatment even though we're both under the same umbrella of mistreatment kind of thing.

If white women were valued as people they would make the same money as white men for the same job and a host of other examples.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 09:00 PM

25. "An attribute that keeps you out of a cage for 20 yrs is not discriminati..."
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Dec-02-15 09:02 PM by Sarah_Bellum

It's a privilege.

DJTB YOMM

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 10:33 PM

30. "l'm not sure what you're getting at with that statement."
In response to Reply # 25

You don't find trying to separate out which types of women suffer what types of wrongdoings and at what rates based on their skin color to be somewhat shortsighted?

This is like arguing who is more reviled by the anti choice crowd-- black women who get abortions or white women who get abortions.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 10:42 PM

31. "You're right... It's completely analogous."
In response to Reply # 30
Wed Dec-02-15 10:55 PM by Sarah_Bellum

Just like white men's issues and black men's issues are.
Imma leave this here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

DJTB YOMM

legsdiamond
80108 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:25 AM

38. "white men dont have vagina's "
In response to Reply # 31

and white girls don't act out like Black girls in school..

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 11:32 AM

39. "Lol neither of those are false statements though."
In response to Reply # 38

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 05:54 PM

42. "I read that by the way. I get the theory on the surface,"
In response to Reply # 31

I don't really take issue with it, but -- I don't know if focusing on differences is the way to solve common problems. The common problem in this instance being the unequal treatment of women in general.

legsdiamond
80108 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 07:48 PM

21. "if a Black girl was caught with all that shit what are the chances..."
In response to Reply # 19

they talk about her cute smile or trying to pay off student loans...

Smh, that nigga atillah don't even hide his love for them anymore...

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 08:03 PM

23. "I'd respond similarly if I didn't have a response for the points made"
In response to Reply # 21
Wed Dec-02-15 08:04 PM by Atillah Moor

I should hate folks is what's being implied?

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:16 AM

35. "RE: When did America officially begin to value women?"
In response to Reply # 16

>Or are the laws that have been written to keep women
>subservient under penalty of imprisonment or death too
>overwhelming to answer that question?
>
>Many a woman was raped, tarred, feathered, etc. for teaching
>black people how to read and write. Do you think the "police"
>of that day were interested in seeking justice for any of
>these women?
>
>

Yes, America doesn't value a woman, period, but if you are a white woman with a little money and influence and the American standard of beauty there's a tiny edge

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 08:02 AM

37. " don't disagree, but a little money will give most an edge"
In response to Reply # 35

And that is definitely an area where there is an imbalance once comparisons start.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 11:34 AM

40. "FYI they burned black women too. "
In response to Reply # 15

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 08:02 PM

22. "There are literally 10's of thousands of white women in prison for drug ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-02-15 08:28 PM by denny

But forget about that....let's handpick a click-baiting article about ONE incident that adheres to our agenda.

Fact: Black people (women too) are disporpotionately targeted and criminalized by the drug war. But let's not act like white people aren't victimized too. And I don't need to find a one-off scenario of a white women who received a 20 year mandatory sentence because her boyfriend was a drug dealer to prove it.

Factually speaking...there are more than twice the amount of white women in jail for drug offences than black women.

Here:

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Race_and_Prison#sthash.k391HWiU.dpbs

Edit:

Actually, the racial demographics of women in prison for drug offences isn't that far off from representing population demographics as they are. Blacks are overrepresented by about 10%. Whites are underrepresented by about 10%. And other demographics are pretty much dead-on in terms of representation. That is a far different story from males where black and latinos are extremely over-represented.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 08:45 PM

24. "The aclu says different than drugfacts.com "
In response to Reply # 22
Wed Dec-02-15 09:02 PM by Sarah_Bellum

Once again, this is not a one off case. Statisticalluy white women are the least likely to do time in prison when they commit a crime and even when they do get time they do less time than every other demographic. That is a statistical fact...
That doesn't mean the war on drugs is not terrible or that white women don't get caught up but that there is an extreme bias working in their favor in comparison to everyone else. Matter a fact the main reason drug laws are becoming more lenient is to protect the surge in drug addiction in whites.
I'm sorry... Y'all want it to be one way when it really isn't.

DJTB YOMM

denny
11281 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 09:03 PM

26. "The stats I posted agree with you."
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Dec-02-15 09:06 PM by denny

10% more likely to not go to prison by induction.

Why don't you post the ACLU stats? Have they posted any? I can't find them.

The drugwarfacts.com get their numbers from the US Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. I hardly think they are 'wrong'.

If we wanna talk anecdotes...I've spent a considerable amount of time at the biggest women's prison in the country. 6 weekend-long visits. Countless day-time visits. There are hella white women there for drug offences.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 09:57 PM

28. "Post 19"
In response to Reply # 26
Wed Dec-02-15 09:58 PM by Sarah_Bellum

DJTB YOMM

denny
11281 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 10:17 PM

29. "I scanned it."
In response to Reply # 28
Wed Dec-02-15 10:18 PM by denny

Doesn't seem like the numbers are at odds with what I posted. Firstly, Gotta remember the stats I posted were specifically for drug convictions and nothing else. This is the most appropriate section for the OP:

Women of all races use drugs at approximately the same rate, but women of color are arrested and imprisoned at much higher rates.

In New York State, 91% of women receiving prison sentences for drug crimes are women of color, although they make up only 32% of the New York state population.
In Minnesota, women of color make up 27% of the drug crime prison sentences given to women although they make up only 5% of the state population.
In California, women of color make up 54% of the prison sentences given to women convicted of drug crimes even though women of color make up only 38% of the state population.

The numbers I posted were national so these regional statistics don't contradict the national rates.

As an aside.....I also take acception to the use of POC or WOC when talking about prison statistics. Mostly, because it waters down the argument for blacks and latinos. Asians are significantly under-represented in prisons in both Canada and the US. Even compared to whites. So using 'POC' in statistics is gonna weaken/water-down any argument advocating for black people and prison sentencing.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 10:47 PM

32. "I take issue with the 10% over/under stat..."
In response to Reply # 29
Wed Dec-02-15 10:47 PM by Sarah_Bellum

>Blacks are overrepresented by about 10%. Whites are underrepresented by about 10%

DJTB YOMM

denny
11281 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 12:47 AM

34. "So do I."
In response to Reply # 32

But there's half a million white people in jail for drug convictions in the US. I think it's worth reminding okp'ers of that in light of a trend in recent threads. Read the post title and look at the stats and tell me that's not hyperbole.

There's 1.5 million people in jail for drug offences. Black people in particular are over-represented at 600K. Moreso than Latinos. But there's enough pain to go around for everybody. Fact is.....a good 95% of those people don't need to be in jail regardless of race.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 03:09 PM

41. "folks don't want to hear that. It's bad enough we have to live together"
In response to Reply # 34

but now you're asking that we actually pay attention to the similarities in our living conditions? That's too much man.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 09:39 PM

27. "im sure her familial ties to the DEA are way less of a factor"
In response to Reply # 0

in any light treatment than her race or sex =/

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 12:30 AM

33. "If I'm a drug boss reading this....I'm firing all my blacks"
In response to Reply # 0

and replacing them with white girls ASAP. Dealers don't have to be equal opportunity. And if they tell, I'd shoot their puppy.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Regina Rose
Member since Jul 01st 2008
7349 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "where I used to live the delivery ppl were white girls "
In response to Reply # 0

they'd drop stuff off and pick up cash

I suppose it worked two fold

if she was caught with stuff on her she'd probably get a light sentence and if a customer (mostly men) tried to not pay or hurt her they'd probably get 'the book thrown' at 'em for hurting an unassuming sweet looking white girl

Lobby General Discussion topic #12937149 Previous topic | Next topic