Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13015076

Subject: "Talking Cars on Tuesday: Spring cleaning edition" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 09:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Talking Cars on Tuesday: Spring cleaning edition"

Looking over my Facebook posts it occurs to me it's been exactly a year since I rolled the Fusion off the lot. I must say, I quite like it. Plan on doing a spring detail to the interior and some paint correction to the exterior now that I got my MF pads (regular foam pads were not making a dent in the clearcoat). All that's left is getting it tinted and the car is good to go for another few years. I do miss the Saturn a bit, but the Fuze is quantifiably better.

I need to figure out a way to test drive a GT 350, just to hear that flat V8 rip one good time. Not to actually buy one, mind you, but just for the sonic fury

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
kids will tear up a car...
May 03rd 2016
That's what my wife's car looks like now
May 03rd 2016
I got kids and my car
May 03rd 2016
      I'm working on them...
May 03rd 2016
Chris Harris vs. Bun B? That is hilarious
May 03rd 2016
Bun B looks dumb here.
May 03rd 2016
I need to do my yearly maintenance detail soon
May 03rd 2016
That's a lot of Adams products. Let me know how it works
May 03rd 2016
      It's good stuff and they are local to me so I like supporting them
May 03rd 2016
           Did the same
May 03rd 2016
                My favorite Adam's stuff:
May 03rd 2016
                I may need to give that Super VRT a try
May 03rd 2016
                     Glass coat: Gyeon Q2 or Kamikaze
May 03rd 2016
                          I'm still on the fence on glass coatings
May 03rd 2016
                               Yeah only for exotics
May 03rd 2016
                High-five on Collinite
May 03rd 2016
                     *daps*
May 04th 2016
how would you clean this:
May 03rd 2016
Hmmmmm... serious wash, followed by Iron-X and clay
May 03rd 2016
Mine looks so bad. I gotta take it to get detailed
May 04th 2016

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue May-03-16 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "kids will tear up a car..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have a footprint on the back of the passenger side seat
and we just found gummie bears in the middle console - been there since my drive down here...

my car was brand new when I got it
I may not have washed the outside but the inside stayed clean

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "That's what my wife's car looks like now"
In response to Reply # 1

I've always took the tack of 'you deal with your own car', but her Focus needs a detailing worse than mine. It's not absolutely bombed out, mind you, but I've thought of removing the seats and steaming the carpets on hers

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

tariqhu
Charter member
17985 posts
Tue May-03-16 11:55 AM

6. "I got kids and my car"
In response to Reply # 1

is always clean. I barely vacuum the interior, but my kids know the rules of car eating. DON'T MAKE A MESS!

I bought a lil travel tray from target for them to use and make sure I have napkins and wipes at all times.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue May-03-16 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "I'm working on them..."
In response to Reply # 6

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 10:04 AM

3. "Chris Harris vs. Bun B? That is hilarious"
In response to Reply # 0

http://jalopnik.com/chris-harris-vs-bun-b-is-2016s-hottest-twitter-feud-1774292810

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Bun B looks dumb here."
In response to Reply # 3

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

sectachrome86
2729 posts
Tue May-03-16 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I need to do my yearly maintenance detail soon"
In response to Reply # 0

I ordered a pile of supplies a couple months ago but the weather has been too shitty https://www.instagram.com/p/BDG4jStRuFM/?taken-by=rschleg

I don't really enjoy polishing and waxing, too much work.

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 12:05 PM

7. "That's a lot of Adams products. Let me know how it works"
In response to Reply # 4

Polishing is labor intensive, but a DA helps quite a bit. My DT300 is going to get a workout this year

sectachrome86
2729 posts
Tue May-03-16 12:54 PM

9. "It's good stuff and they are local to me so I like supporting them"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue May-03-16 12:55 PM by sectachrome86

I also just like having their whole "system". I have the Griots DA polisher. In the fall I just clayed and put on a coat of sealant and it looked pretty freakin good for a daily driver. I want to get some of the swirls and scratches out now though.

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 01:44 PM

11. "Did the same"
In response to Reply # 9

I ended up with a smattering of CG stuff. As long as you disregard all the marketing hype and technobabble doublespeak they have some pretty good stuff if you know what you're looking for. I sealed (CG Jet Seal) and waxed (Collinite 845) last year because the clear was too tough to do any correction with a foam pad. Hopefully these microfiber pads I got will do the trick.

Let me know how that Adams works out for you. Always looking for something that works

sectachrome86
2729 posts
Tue May-03-16 03:19 PM

13. "My favorite Adam's stuff:"
In response to Reply # 11

Detail Spray - smells good, no streaks, good shine, helps drying
H20 Guard & Gloss - gives good shine and lasts a while. Easy to apply while drying.
In & Out Spray - awesome for stuff thats hard to get by hand like grills and ribbed hoses under the hood. Not slimy.
Super VRT - Nice to have one product that works well tires and other trim. Not too shiny.
Liquid Paint Sealant - Really easy to apply/remove and lasts a long time. Good shine too.
Wash mitt - holds lots of soap. Better than the Griots microfiber mitts I had before.

I have pretty much everything they make and there isn't anything I don't like, but those stand out to me. Actually I dont like their Tire Shine because it's too shiny but thats personal preference.

I've heard people say their shampoo is great - I haven't used enough different ones to notice much of a difference but I have no complaints about it. All their shit smells good too.

New stuff I haven't used yet:
Metal polishes
Paint correcting polish
Foam gun
Rinseless wash
Fancy new clay bar

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 05:07 PM

14. "I may need to give that Super VRT a try"
In response to Reply # 13

I used CG's VRP dressing last year and it worked great, though it didn't hold up well with water. Probably will pick some of this up and some of Meg's Hyper Dressing (which seems to have a following and can be cut down with water)

On the fence on which detailer and spray sealant to use this year. I gave V07 a whirl and it worked pretty well. No streaks as long as I had a good MF towel. I have a gallon of clay lube that's supposedly can be used as a detail spray in a pinch, but didn't try for that use yet. Haven't used a drying aid other than OTC spray wax/detailer, but may test something this year

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Tue May-03-16 06:28 PM

15. "Glass coat: Gyeon Q2 or Kamikaze"
In response to Reply # 14

Yall have either of these done?

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 06:41 PM

16. "I'm still on the fence on glass coatings"
In response to Reply # 15

I'd consider doing something to the wheels, but the car? Not too sure. Prep is super important, and all correction (compounding and polishing any scratches) is a must before applying. The thing I wonder about, besides the price of getting it done by a pro, is how flexible the coating is and will it let the paint 'breathe', as it were, or will you be looking at microfracturing later on.

They do look great, and if I had a high dollar or exotic I may think about it. But I'm good with a sealant and wax

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Tue May-03-16 06:45 PM

17. "Yeah only for exotics"
In response to Reply # 16

http://www.esotericdetail.com/detailing-services/protective-coatings/

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Tue May-03-16 09:40 PM

18. "High-five on Collinite"
In response to Reply # 11

Love that stuff.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

spenzalii
10989 posts
Wed May-04-16 11:30 AM

20. "*daps*"
In response to Reply # 18

It made it through the winter, so it's good for me. I'll probably put on 2 coats of sealant and 2 coats of Collinite and rock until the fall.

Best tip I heard for using 845: Leave the bottle in the sun while you wash the car. It will melt the wax back to a liquid state making it much easier to apply and take off

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Tue May-03-16 11:49 AM

5. "how would you clean this:"
In response to Reply # 0

a white car is driven past the point of needing brakes. it got so bad that it was metal on metal.

that grinding put a light brown grit on the rims and on the paint on the door.

how would you get that off?

spenzalii
10989 posts
Tue May-03-16 12:11 PM

8. "Hmmmmm... serious wash, followed by Iron-X and clay"
In response to Reply # 5

Here's the Iron-X link:
http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

3D BDX makes something similar:
http://www.amazon.com/BDX-Brake-Dust-Remover-24/dp/B01BN404NY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1462295309&sr=1-1&keywords=3d+bdx

In a pinch, DUB wheel cleaner works (but not quite as effective as the other two):
http://www.amazon.com/DUB-U1422-Wheel-Cleaner-oz/dp/B00G49NYT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1462295347&sr=1-1&keywords=dub+wheel+cleaner

Now, this stuff does NOT smell good, but it works well on loosening up those metal particles. Afterward, a good clay bar should get the rest. The clay will probably be toast once you're done with it, but it should do the trick

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9424 posts
Wed May-04-16 06:11 AM

19. "Mine looks so bad. I gotta take it to get detailed"
In response to Reply # 0

I have no time as is, and 4 to 8 hours for detailing is not going to work. But it needs it so bad.

I just did a 10 hour trip last weekend out to the woods and it rained most of the time. The car looks terrible. I might take it thru the auto wash once just to get it looking ok again until I can find someone to take it for detailing maybe later this month.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13015076 Previous topic | Next topic