Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12829093

Subject: "QOD: Has Social Media created a false expectation of safe communication?..." Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"QOD: Has Social Media created a false expectation of safe communication?..."

What do you think?

I think so. It seems that people are sharing their thoughts on social media as if they are in a safe common location with friends. Why is that? Is it because Facebook has in some way redefined the understanding of a friend? Maybe it's because platforms like Twitter makes people feel a false sense of closeness and ambiguity at the same time with its 140 character limit.

Just think, the Social Media phenomenon is relatively new when it comes to other forms of communicating. It was just dropped on people virtually overnight without any instructions about forma etiquette, rules, expectation, or warning about consequences. Sure we had websites like Myspace, Black Planet, etc. But there are in no way comparable now to the ever changing and impacting platforms that we see today.

But it seems to me that society has been fooled into thinking that Social Media is a place to freely express one's opinion (based on setting in life and background) and that they are can do so without penalty. Not to mention all of the data collection and profiling that's taking place behind the veil of internet serves.

To think that you can get fired, demoted, or denied employment for expressing your valid opinion on any topic is crazy. And I'm not taking about hate speech, I;m talking about just having a different opinion than the masses can have a negative consequence.

What do you think?

"Jesus is my Lord and Savior. And if you believe in him, he can be your's too."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yea, you never know what snake is watching you
Jun 12th 2015
And it's off to think that people should inherently know how to navigate...
Jun 12th 2015
People are saying things on the record but don't quite realize it
Jun 12th 2015
This must be too close to home for 90% of OKP GD
Jun 12th 2015
all society does is 'get fooled'.
Jun 12th 2015
We have all drunk the Kool-aid
Jun 12th 2015
      y'all did, I've been free of social media for a good while.
Jun 12th 2015
           Man I need to get off FB, but I have a god network on there..
Jun 12th 2015
it's funny to watch people shoot themselves in the foot sometimes
Jun 12th 2015
You made some great points.
Jun 12th 2015

MizClayton
Member since Feb 22nd 2003
33309 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yea, you never know what snake is watching you"
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "And it's off to think that people should inherently know how to navigate..."
In response to Reply # 1

Social Media as if they are speaking to a group a friends that understand their background, character, feelings, history, etc.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "People are saying things on the record but don't quite realize it"
In response to Reply # 0

They think a post/tweet is equivalent to saying something to a small group of close friends. That their words will disappear as soon as they say them.

Nope! FB/Twitter is taking detailed notes about everything you ever say. And your statements won't ever go away.

That's why I haven't posted anything to FB in years. I don't need my thoughts on controversial (or even benign) topics to be on the record.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 11:09 AM

4. "This must be too close to home for 90% of OKP GD"
In response to Reply # 0

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 11:10 AM

5. "all society does is 'get fooled'. "
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 12:21 PM

6. "We have all drunk the Kool-aid"
In response to Reply # 5

"Romans 10 : 9 says, "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
you will be saved."

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 03:22 PM

9. "y'all did, I've been free of social media for a good while."
In response to Reply # 6

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 03:23 PM

10. "Man I need to get off FB, but I have a god network on there.. "
In response to Reply # 9

you will be saved."

Mynoriti
Charter member
38839 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 01:30 PM

7. "it's funny to watch people shoot themselves in the foot sometimes"
In response to Reply # 0

someone who foolishly thinks they are only saying their dumb shit to their 8 followers, and find themselves caught up.

that said, I really hate this trend of let's take what this person said on social media, and try to destroy them. even if i think they ARE being hateful, or ignorant, or even if, as you said, that person is just expressing an opinion that may go against the grain,, especially with something that has any kind of political energy/momentum behind it. if they phrase one thing the wrong way they are lumped in with the worst of the worst, and considered spewing hate speech... and the reaction is.. "welp they put it out there!"/"free speech doesn't free you from consequences!" etc... it's just shitty mob mentality, and people seem to be cool with it as long is it serves their 'side'.

but the outrage machine ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and it ain't picky, so people gotta think before they put something out there if t can come back to bite them. even unfairly.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 02:49 PM

8. "You made some great points."
In response to Reply # 7

you will be saved."

Lobby General Discussion topic #12829093 Previous topic | Next topic