Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12801553

Subject: "Fox cancels "American idol": next season will be last (sw)" Previous topic | Next topic
b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Fox cancels "American idol": next season will be last (sw)"

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/fox-cancels-american-idol-20150511

Fox Cancels 'American Idol'
Ratings juggernaut and discoverer of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood will stage "season-long celebratory event" in 2016

BY DANIEL KREPS May 11, 2015

After one of the most dominant runs in television history, American Idol will not return after its 15th season this January, Fox announced Monday. Host Ryan Seacrest – the only on-screen talent that has been with the show since its 2002 debut – and the current judges' table of Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban will be along for Idol's last ride.

Fox added that the singing competition series that unearthed Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry and Adam Lambert would stage a "season-long celebratory event" in its last season alongside their search for "the final Idol superstar." Idol winners have combined for a total of 13 Grammys, led by Underwood's seven. However, the series hasn't discovered an award winner in nearly a decade.

After the emergence of Clarkson and Underwood, the show hit its ratings peak in its fifth season in 2006 with a weekly average of 31.1 million viewers. However, ratings slowly declined in subsequent years after constant shakeups at the judges' table – Paula Abdul's exit shifted the show's chemistry, as did Ellen DeGeneres' one-season cameo – and an inability to luck upon another platinum-selling star (Remember Lee DeWyze?).

The show's true decline began in 2010, though, after its main antagonist Simon Cowell departed to join rival Fox singing competition The X Factor. Although that series lasted only three seasons in the U.S., Cowell never returned to Idol. The emergence of other music competition shows like The X Factor and NBC's successful The Voice also oversaturated the market, leading to a downturn in Idol viewership.

Although Idol found some stability in recent years with their Lopez/Connick Jr./Urban panel, viewership continued to plummet, averaging a low of only 11 million viewers for their current 14th season. While that number would still make for a successful network sitcom, the costs and salaries that went into Idol were prohibitively expensive to keep the show on-air (even though, as Billboard noted, the judges took a slight salary cut to return for Season 15).

Idol's required two-nights-a-week, three-hour hold on the schedule also handcuffed Fox from adding shows that could grow viewership instead of waiting for Idol to eventually bottom out. This past year, Fox found reliable audiences with scripted programs like Empire and Gotham, which further loosened their dependence on stalwart Idol. Despite its decline in recent years, Idol will be remembered for spawning dozens of copycats in the reality TV field as well as the talented singers it helped discover.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/fox-cancels-american-idol-20150511#ixzz3ZqLoFBLP
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's about time!!
May 11th 2015
all of this!
May 11th 2015
they named that bamma phillip phillips...
May 11th 2015
I stopped watching after Fantasia won
May 11th 2015
Good. The Voice is better anyway
May 11th 2015
Agreed
May 11th 2015
RE: Fox cancels "American idol": next season will be last (sw)
May 11th 2015
I wonder how long they wait before they bring it back. 3 years?
May 11th 2015
Maybe as shorter miniseries events.
May 11th 2015
i don't see it coming back as a competition.
May 11th 2015
this is the first season I've watched since…4?
May 11th 2015
Never understood y they would have people like Jennifer Lopez as juddges
May 11th 2015
      true. she pretty though.
May 11th 2015
      she can hear.
May 11th 2015
RE: Fox cancels "American idol": next season will be last (sw)
May 11th 2015
He's beef waiting ten years to deliver that punchline...
May 11th 2015
after Simon left the show went downhill fast
May 11th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's about time!!"
In response to Reply # 0

sheesh.

the show has been a non-factor for several years now, it seems. i haven't heard a peep from an American Idol winner in i dunno how long.

i take that back - Phillip Phillips was just here in Chicago doing a free concert during that Draft Town side-show attached to the NFL Draft Weekend. LOL

i haven't watched a full episode since whenever that Gospel-sanging Black woman won a couple seasons back. and i only watched the semi-final and final.

good riddance.

fuck you.

earthseed
Member since Feb 26th 2004
26989 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "all of this!"
In response to Reply # 1

now go runtelldat, ho.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "they named that bamma phillip phillips..."
In response to Reply # 1

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon May-11-15 12:09 PM

14. "I stopped watching after Fantasia won"
In response to Reply # 1

and even then I didn't watch that season like I did season 2.

Truthfully I'm surprised the shit is still on the air.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:45 AM

2. "Good. The Voice is better anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:40 AM

10. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 2

>
>.
>.
>.
>"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be
>kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: Fox cancels "American idol": next season will be last (sw)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i2.minus.com/ijNsCy.jpg

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49608 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:57 AM

6. "I wonder how long they wait before they bring it back. 3 years?"
In response to Reply # 0

5 years would give it so much bang for the buck for a return but they it won't last much longer than Jay-Z's retirement.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:00 AM

7. "Maybe as shorter miniseries events."
In response to Reply # 6

It's getting too expensive to make now, given how long it's been on the air versus the declining ratings and license revenue.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i don't see it coming back as a competition."
In response to Reply # 6

but i can see some Idol showcase/reunion events in the future featuring any of the 'stars' the show created w/a few newly-discovered talents presented by any of the judges or even former contestants.

fuck you.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15329 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "this is the first season I've watched since…4?"
In response to Reply # 0

I really, really like the team of Connick Urban and Lopez, Connick is a way more constructive negative voice than Cowell was. But I also recognize that there isn't much of that cutthroat industry executive attitude to it anymore, there's a little too much positivity attempting to make up for the fact that nobody on the show is an absolute superstar. I've enjoyed this season though, so it's a bit of a bummer I've only got one more in me.

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11780 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:59 AM

11. "Never understood y they would have people like Jennifer Lopez as juddges"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm not sure I could keep a straight face if J-Lo told me my voice wasn't strong enough.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15329 posts
Mon May-11-15 12:01 PM

12. "true. she pretty though."
In response to Reply # 11

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon May-11-15 12:02 PM

13. "she can hear."
In response to Reply # 11

so she can tell me if my voice isn't strong enough. but she can't tell me how to improve my voice.

i have no problem w/her as a judge but i couldn't deal w/her as a mentor when it comes to singing. she can help me w/my stage presentation as a general matter b/c she's an entertainer. she knows how to work an audience and all of that.

fuck you.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23914 posts
Mon May-11-15 03:31 PM

15. "RE: Fox cancels "American idol": next season will be last (sw)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/briandunkleman/status/597795257971937280

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

soulfunk
Charter member
11037 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:22 PM

16. "He's beef waiting ten years to deliver that punchline..."
In response to Reply # 15

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:55 PM

17. "after Simon left the show went downhill fast"
In response to Reply # 0

Idol though had the game on lock until they brought in has been acts and gave them as much face time as the acts they had or were trying to float folks up like Nikki Manji or Keith Urban as if they got big time careers. its sad when a real talent like Harry Connick Jr or Steven Tyler gotta waste there time on that show.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby General Discussion topic #12801553 Previous topic | Next topic