Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #191227

Subject: "Erykah Badu & Yasiin Bey - ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour This Summer - OKP" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 09:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Erykah Badu & Yasiin Bey - ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour This Summer - OKP"

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/erykah-badu-and-yasiin-bey-to-embark-on-unfollow-me-tour-this-summer.html

Erykah Badu & Yasiin Bey to Embark on ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour This Summer
MUSIC - 10 HOURS AGO

JAELANI TURNER-WILLIAMS

Jaelani Turner-Williams is a contributing news writer for Okayplayer

Soulquarians Erykah Badu and Yasiin Bey are pairing up for the 25-date ‘Unfollow Me’ tour, which begins in June.

Twitter

Badu World Market
@baduworldmarket
Erykah Badu (
@fatbellybella
) announces #UnfollowMe tour with Yasiin Bey ⭐️

Tickets available on 4/20:
https://unfollowmetour.com

Badu World Market
@baduworldmarket
@fatbellybella
's Unfollow Me tour with Yasiin Bey is coming to your city this summer -- have you checked out the dates yet? https://unfollowmetour.com

Legendary Soulquarians Erykah Badu and Yasiin Bey (fka Mos Def) are bringing their catalogs on the road this summer. The artists announced that they’ll be embarking on the 23-date ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour this summer, which begins in San Antonio, Texas on June 11 — also hitting Los Angeles, St. Louis, Chicago, and more before wrapping up in Badu’s hometown of Dallas on July 23.

Badu, who hasn’t released a project since 2015’s But You Caint Use My Phone, is slated to release a collaborative project with Madlib, which the producer teased on a recent appearance on Sway in the Morning. Last month, the 52-year-old Dallas native also released a cannabis strain named “That Badu” with marijuana entrepreneur Berner.

In 2024, a Karmeryn Alexa Carter-penned book about Badu’s 2010 album New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh will be released via 333 Sound.

Yasiin Bey last released No Fear of Time as one-half of the hip-hop duo Black Star with Talib Kweli last May and will next appear on “Blaaaaack!” from Black Thought’s upcoming album Streams of Thought, Vol 4.

“It’s a timeless classic. It’s been in my vault for a couple of years already,” Thought told The FADER about the song. “It could come out at any point in time, and it’ll still represent a seismic shift in the game just because of how powerful it is and what it speaks to.”

Tickets for the ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour go on sale Thursday, April 20 at 2:22 p.m. local time. Check out the full dates below.

Jun 11 – San Antonio, TX – AT&T Center
Jun 13 – Glendale, AZ – Desert Diamond Arena
Jun 15 – San Diego, CA – Pechanga Arena
Jun 16 – Las Vegas, NV – Michelob ULTRA Arena
Jun 17 – Los Angeles, CA – Crypto.com Arena
Jun 20 – Sacramento, CA – Golden 1 Center
Jun 23 – Seattle, WA – WAMU Theater
Jun 26 – Denver, CO – Ball Arena
Jun 28 – St Louis, MO – Enterprise Center
Jun 30 – Saint Paul, MN – Xcel Energy Center
Jul 01 – Chicago, IL – United Center
Jul 02 – Detroit, MI – Little Caesars Arena
Jul 07 – Boston, MA – TD Garden
Jul 08 – New York, NY – Madison Square Garden
Jul 09 – Philadelphia, PA – TD Pavilion
Jul 11 – Newark, NJ – Prudential Center
Jul 13 – Washington, DC – Capital One Arena
Jul 15 – Atlanta, GA – State Farm Arena
Jul 16 – Charlotte, NC – Spectrum Center
Jul 18 – Nashville, TN – Bridgestone Arena
Jul 19 – Birmingham, AL – Legacy Arena
Jul 21 – Memphis, TN – FedExForum
Jul 23 – Dallas, TX – American Airlines Center

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Erykah Badu Explains Meaning Behind ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour Name
Jun 10th 2023

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 07:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Erykah Badu Explains Meaning Behind ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour Name"
In response to Reply # 0

inside E. Badu"s home - Vogue

https://youtu.be/q9JOWZR7UFY

https://www.vibe.com/music/music-news/erykah-badu-unfollow-tour-exclusive-1234763712/

HOME
MUSIC
MUSIC NEWS

Erykah Badu Explains Meaning Behind ‘Unfollow Me’ Tour Name

She also revealed what fans can expect from the Soulquarian reunion with yasiin bey.

BY MYA ABRAHAM

JUNE 10, 2023 11:30AM

Erykah Badu’s Unfollow Me Tour with yasiin bey begins this weekend. The 25-city experience is set to hit most major cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Detroit, and of course, her hometown of Dallas.

Ahead of the tour’s kick off, VIBE caught up with the neo-soul pioneer for a very chill Zoom chat to get some insight on the once-in-a-lifetime event. Tag-teaming with her Soulquarian brethren was an clear choice because she knew he could support her “in a really cool way, in a natural way.”

“We work very, very well together,” the 4x-Grammy winner added. “We are family, we’re part of the same tribe, crew. We just gel well together; our music is in sync so it makes sense to me and I hope that the fans feel that way as well.”

With the tour’s name blasting the phrase, “unfollow me,” one can’t help but wonder if it has anything to do with cancel culture. “Absolutely,” answered Badu, 52. “It definitely has to do with cancel culture, it’s funny. It’s become a Baduizm, pretty much. Whenever someone says something in the comments, they don’t agree, I don’t care, unfollow me, doesn’t matter.”

“I also say unfollow me because I’m lost too,” adds the unapologetic free spirit. “We all on an individual journey, we’re finding our way. So following me wouldn’t really benefit you because you are on your journey. That’s your cup you’re drinking out, this is mine. And I want to encourage people to do that too, and it’s a reminder to myself.”

Without giving too much away, the show will be a bit of a mystery. Badu loves for fans “to feel tickled and surprised and whimsical and like they’re at a circus or something,” and she confessed they can expect the concert to be “a cosmic journey.”

“(One) where you can be yourself and show your honest feelings,” she explained. “That’s what I encourage because I don’t know what will happen. I wish I could tell you. We do rehearse songs, and get some beautiful lighting together (with) sets of beautiful graphics and stuff. But what happens between the audience and the artist is a very special thing. And that’s what keeps me doing it for 25 years—eight months out of the year—is the connection. I feel like myself the most when I’m there. So please expect to feel like yourself when you come be around me.”

The Unfollow Me Tour commences on Sunday, June 11 in San Antonio and will conclude on July 23 in Dallas.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #191227 Previous topic | Next topic