Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #188533

Subject: "If Erykah" Previous topic | Next topic
ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sat Aug-07-10 01:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"If Erykah"

is late coming on stage 2night like she was @ Pier 6 Pavillion in May, I am going to be PISSED. SpiritFest has a really tight schedule 2night, and her sets are always too short anyways, so if my *ss paid all these bones 2 come out and C her, HER *ss needs 2 b on stage, on TIME, even if they have 2 kick some of the earlier artists off early, which needed 2 have occurred LAST year. I mean, she has people following her around the country from show-to-show. THAT level of devotion, PARTICULARLY in a time of a recession, deserves some respect. Respect is shown by not leaving the audience waiting for an eternity after the previous act leaves the stage. Get on out there, & do the d*** thing already! This is the main reason why I usually don't go 2 c artists after they blow up. They get complacent, and aren't hungry anymore. I have made an xception for her, because of her xceptional talent. But I'm wearing thin on patience here. We'll c how 2 night goes. I can only b but so loyal. A fan base and an artist have 2 have some kind of give-and-take relationship. Showing up late, or keeping UR audience waiting and waiting at a concert is not building anticipation. It's actually flat out rude, and reeks of arrogance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Erykah has shown/expressed many times....
Aug 07th 2010
RE: I posted this here for a reason
Aug 08th 2010
      RE:Also
Aug 08th 2010
           ouch
Aug 08th 2010
                RE: ouch
Aug 10th 2010
                     RE: ouch
Aug 10th 2010
                          RE: Columbia
Aug 10th 2010
i'm glad you enjoyed the show
Aug 08th 2010
Thanks
Aug 08th 2010

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Sat Aug-07-10 06:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Erykah has shown/expressed many times...."
In response to Reply # 0

..."frustrated artist tours, etc." that she wants folks to understand her mentality/steez (saying "time" is a "white people concept"...or something like that).

so, at this point, you have to know Erykah ain't looking for much audience respectin'/pleasin' points. Erykah wants the audience to feel the whole thing the artist is going through (remember the "frustration" tour).

but after this analysis, maybe she'll change up so folks like me won't have her "all figured out."

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun Aug-08-10 08:59 AM

2. "RE: I posted this here for a reason"
In response to Reply # 1

I WANT her 2 read it. I know she is busy, but I'm HOPING word gets 2 her. She has people out here who REALLY love her, UNCONDITIONALLY. But don't abuse us, b/c of that love. Nor take it for granted.

As far as the steez/mentality, or whatever, I got it. That does not change the fact that these venues are controlled by Europeans, so yes, time IS indeed a European concept, but since we are meeting up with one another in THEIR house, per se, it's just common sense <pun intended> to try to operate w/in the parameters of house rules. Now if we were meeting up in the village on the Continent, sure, it would be no problem. The people will be there, so whenever she shows up, we'll see her. Things jump off when the people end up in the same space, at the same time. Got that too, but there is money involved here, and not small amounts of it either, for those of us going to multiple shows and whatnot, like Deadheads.

Anyway, she is not alone. The Roots have done this before too, and I did not like it. I was really angry, because it was just uncalled for, but that concert was free(B-More Afram). they DID leave us out in the sweltering heat on our feet for a RIDICULOUSLY long time. I mean, people brought their babies out to see them and everything. I don't know if Artists remember what it's like from a fan's vantage point. It's SERIOUS to us. It's like memorable moments in our lives to come out and vibe w/ them for a couple of hours. It's a RELATIONSHIP. Like I said before. Nobody wants to be in a relationship with someone you really love, and are even willing to make financial and temporal sacrifices for, who does not respect you.

On a positive note though I'll write the following regarding last night's show:

1. The Roots need to make a concert video, like Prince's Sign O' The Times. CDs are too small of a format 2 convey what they do effectively. U need to SEE it and HEAR it, simultaneously, 2 really get the full picture.
2. I LOVE Captain Kirk's hair. I miss the days of having a wash-and-wear afro. His hair is a cross between an uneven crown, Don King, Einstein, Cornell West, and maybe Frederick Douglass for good measure. It's crazy, and I really love it! LOL!
3. Loved Erykah's gold mohawk, w/ matching outfit. True Queen Steel-o. Gotta love it.
4. I wish Erykah had done Twinkle, and Telephone. I have not heard Telephone live yet, and keep hoping that I will.
5. Common and Erykah on stage 2gether 4 Love of My Life-made me wish they would just go on and get back 2gether, get married and make a few hip hop neo-soul babies. Their synergistic Energy is just incredible.

Oh, and I guess this is not positive necessarily, but I REALLY miss Hub. I know the Roots rock on regardless, and one monkey don't stop no show, but I miss him. It's just not the same w/o him. I love them regardless, but still...

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun Aug-08-10 09:23 AM

3. "RE:Also"
In response to Reply # 2

Y did she keep shouting out Boston @ a show n the suburbs of baltimore? Did she get the 2 cities confused? She did not mention Baltimore once, and was in Boston 2 months ago, so that was bugging me. Did she really mean 2 say Baltimore?

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sun Aug-08-10 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "ouch"
In response to Reply # 3

considering she's in chicago today for lollapalooza, i guess she just didn't know where she was other than the first syllable (sort of; columbia isn't even that close to baltimore really). that's an embarrassing thing for any artist to do but common (no pun intended), although i've never seen it happen in person, and i've seen rock bands perform high on heroin like god lives underwater.

ARCHI 8
Member since Jul 10th 2007
16 posts
Tue Aug-10-10 06:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: ouch"
In response to Reply # 5

>(sort of; columbia isn't even that close to baltimore
>really)

not that close???

columbia is 10 minutes outside of Baltimore, 20 from the inner harbor

the distance between the two is just barely further than a half-marathon.

btw. B.o.B.'s dj called out boston earlier 2

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Aug-10-10 07:58 AM

8. "RE: ouch"
In response to Reply # 7

>>(sort of; columbia isn't even that close to baltimore
>>really)
>
>not that close???
>
>columbia is 10 minutes outside of Baltimore, 20 from the inner
>harbor

is it? it seems a bit further. i always looked at it is about halfway between baltimore and DC. nevermind then.

>btw. B.o.B.'s dj called out boston earlier 2

weird

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue Aug-10-10 10:41 AM

9. "RE: Columbia"
In response to Reply # 8

is like 20-25 mins. outside of B-More. How Boston got n2 the mix is BEYOND me. Were they all THAT high? Finally, Erykah said, "The whole Eastern Seaboard", as a lame attempt 2 save face. *siiiighs & smh*

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Aug-08-10 09:30 AM

4. "i'm glad you enjoyed the show"
In response to Reply # 0

i just found out about it last week and really wanted to go but balked at the ticket prices. it's a pity because in the last couple years i keep finding excuses not to see erykah, the roots, common, janelle, and B.o.B, so this would've been a great opportunity if it were affordable.

did the roots do anything from HIGO or RD? did common do anything from his upcoming album?

i think the whole "CP time"/"time is a white man's concept" bit is such a tremendous insult to mature, responsible black people and professionals in specific. furthermore, erykah is pushing 40 with at least 3 kids; it's time for her to grow up and respect the people who maintain her lifestyle. if she doesn't want to practice such a crazy thing as time, she can move to a village somewhere outside of america, as i'm sure she can afford to do it. if she wants to live in america and make american music for other americans, we believe in and value our time. the same goes for all other rude unprofessionals out there--mos def, i'm lookin' at you, buddy.

i think you're right about seasoned artists forgetting what it's like to be just a fan going to shows. i have to imagine that whenever they do go to shows they're on the side of or backstage or in the risers above the stage, etc., and are let in by the venue whenever they decide to come by, sold out show or not. i'm sure it's nice to be treated like a star all the time, but remember the rest of us.

cute dog, btw.

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun Aug-08-10 04:48 PM

6. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 4

Gotta take her out right now in fact. She's growling @ me.

>>cute dog, btw.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #188533 Previous topic | Next topic