Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #188377

Subject: "taking it back to Things Fall Apart" Previous topic | Next topic
ReD POet
Member since Dec 30th 2008
279 posts
Tue Jul-06-10 09:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"taking it back to Things Fall Apart"
Tue Jul-06-10 09:55 PM by ReD POet

this thang is a classic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Correct
Jul 07th 2010
RE: taking it back to Things Fall Apart
Jul 15th 2010
RE: taking it back to Things Fall Apart
Jul 18th 2010

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Wed Jul-07-10 10:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Correct"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

wisdom31
Charter member
1695 posts
Thu Jul-15-10 04:52 PM

2. "RE: taking it back to Things Fall Apart"
In response to Reply # 0

To me, it's the best album from The Roots....bonafide classic in my book, from front to back
---------------------------------------
"Po' folk need help they call it welfare, but rich folk need it then y'all call it a bailout..."
-----Phonte ("The Best Of Times")

http://www.reverbnation/wisdom39
http://wisdom40.blogspot.com/

spearman
Member since Jul 06th 2009
18 posts
Sun Jul-18-10 02:56 AM

3. "RE: taking it back to Things Fall Apart"
In response to Reply # 0

see, thing with the roots is this...you can't just take one album and say that's the shit...that's the pinnacle. because they're one of the few groups you simply can't be narrow sighted with.

you absolutely have to take their whole body of work into consideration. the evolution of their sound is undeniable. imo, the only group that parallels them is outkast. each album is different but amazing in it's own respect.

i have a lot of friends who say they haven't liked the roots since they dropped phrenology because they came out with the single featuring musiq and the seed and they just tried to sound more rock and more radio friendly. personally, i think that's a bullshit stance. organix and dywm may have a similar sound but after that EVERYTHING is different. ih is hella different than dywm, as is every album after that.

they're all dope in their own right. the changing of their sound is probably why i'm still stuck on them to this day. it's probably why they the group i check for the most in these days of stagnation.

and for the record, i copped the dywm album after peeping the proceed video way back in the day. and copped organix when they re-released it after ih came out. my roots catalog is rather extensive as well. i even copped from the ground up in paris around the 2000 time frame. i only make this point cause i know you made the claim that i was probably new to this roots shit in some other post. not trying to throw jabs...just clarifying.

*also copped that jamaladeen tacuma shit back when i lived in japan the first go around. i know you probably know about that shit but most folks, even hard core roots fan, bug out on that shit.*

daygo to okinawa

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #188377 Previous topic | Next topic