Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #187514

Subject: "Blakthought's spilled milk!" Previous topic | Next topic
Sekoya
Member since Oct 30th 2009
189 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 06:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blakthought's spilled milk!"

I remember hearing i think 2 tracks back in the day on a 12" my DJ had back then. Some time between 2001 and 2003. Something about the power of the pussy and some other extremely well produced joint can't remember the tracks but i remember how they made me feel. I was sincerely amazed. In retrospect, I believe Black is going to have to regret not forcing his way with it because if all joints were to be of that caliber, it would easily have been a conceptual and musical classic. Similar to the effect of ghosts supreme clientel. Easily. Yall remember how everybody was saying he saved the Wu with it. An instant classic. I believe Tariq's record had the seeds of that potential. and the music was refreshingly different from the more diversified/moody/intellectualised sound (yeah i said that... fuck what it means... you know what I'm trying to get at if you've been listening to the roots soundscape). It was straight rap-music. Not as organic as his normal joints.... whatever. My point is this: HE FUCKED UP and SLEPT on himself! And don't come at me with "it was shelved" or whatever. He should have finished it and dropped it regardless. He keeps growing older and changing. A record is always a good testimony to a certain specific creative epoch in your catalogue as an artist. And he fucked up sharing that take. So yeah... I'm sure if he thinks into it deep enough he regrets. It would have been a standard setting record. And neither him nor questo would have to be talking about how he is top 5 dead or alive, it would have established that as a fact. now we're still guesstimating. Just my ranty thoughts.

I write what I like:
http://www.713black.com/news12b.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Blakthought's spilled milk!
Mar 05th 2010
I'd pay LARGE sums of money to hear Masterpiece Theater
Mar 05th 2010
masterpiece theater morphed into phrenology anyway
Mar 05th 2010
what type of ass backwards statement
Mar 05th 2010
      i read your post
Mar 05th 2010
           RE: i read your post
Mar 05th 2010
           "pussy galore" "water" "thought @ work" for sure
Mar 07th 2010
                I had one of the 12" singles...
Mar 08th 2010
                     yeah, i've got the cd single and lp single of that
Mar 21st 2010
           HV ends the post
Mar 08th 2010
                RE: HV ends the post
Mar 08th 2010
                     He did just not the way you wanted it
Mar 09th 2010
                          dude you aint in on it?
Mar 09th 2010
                               I Understand
Mar 09th 2010

Sekoya
189 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 06:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Blakthought's spilled milk!"
In response to Reply # 0

wait... was pussy galore on phrenology? and what was that other joint? and wasn't it initially supposed to be on his solo joint?

I write what I like:

monk hughes
Member since Jul 25th 2006
1385 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 08:39 AM

2. "I'd pay LARGE sums of money to hear Masterpiece Theater"
In response to Reply # 0

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "masterpiece theater morphed into phrenology anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

so not sure what your argument is

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

Sekoya
189 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 05:00 PM

4. "what type of ass backwards statement"
In response to Reply # 3

is that? Just READ the damn post brah!

I write what I like:

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 07:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "i read your post"
In response to Reply # 4

and im saying that the songs on his album became songs on phrenology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

Sekoya
189 posts
Fri Mar-05-10 08:06 PM

6. "RE: i read your post"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Mar-05-10 08:08 PM by Sekoya

hmm... but which joints were those? And my main point was this: He should have ventured out by himself. The record is as overdue as havocs solo joint was... just way more anticipated. Thats my point. Would have liked to hear him on a "no gimmicks" trackmaster joint. BT on Dr. Dre... seriously why not? A feature with Ghostface and a joint with Lauryn hill... why not? On a Just Blaze joint. Blackthought on a kanye joint. a good deal of A-class havoc and alc joints. Maybe even stoupe and nottz joints. Would seriously have loved to see how he performs on rap joints without the "legendary" brand sound to it you know... perhaps a pharell joint here and a hi tek joint there... fuck it even a rza joint would have helped to change the décor... Just him shopping around venturing outside of his familiar soundscape... nahmsayn?

thats what a blackthought solo would have been all about in my imagination.

I write what I like:

justin_scott
Charter member
19863 posts
Sun Mar-07-10 06:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. ""pussy galore" "water" "thought @ work" for sure"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Mar-07-10 06:41 PM by justin_scott

also, check "listen to this" and the joints he did with dj honda.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Mar-08-10 10:43 AM

8. "I had one of the 12" singles..."
In response to Reply # 7

...the song was called "hardware", and i still play it sometimes. the album was supposed to be an opportunity for other producers to work with tariq; rjd2, danger mouse, dilla, etc...

their was some type of riff with the record company, or they swithced labels or something, and the songs that were completed were worked into the album.

justin_scott
Charter member
19863 posts
Sun Mar-21-10 10:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "yeah, i've got the cd single and lp single of that"
In response to Reply # 8

great song.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Mar-08-10 11:32 AM

9. "HV ends the post"
In response to Reply # 5

Masterpiece Theatre becaem Phrenology for the most part. It wasn't shelved Riq manned up and made it a Roots album so they could get off of Geffen.

Sekoya
189 posts
Mon Mar-08-10 01:49 PM

10. "RE: HV ends the post"
In response to Reply # 9

thanks for the input. However the point remains the same!!!

I want black to travel back in time and release his solo-joint at that point of his artistic niveau. Ya dig?

I write what I like:

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 09:53 AM

11. "He did just not the way you wanted it"
In response to Reply # 10

What you heard on Phrenology was basically what Black Thought was going to put out as a solo album, except it was backed by the band instead of the producers. It sounds better to. So i guess no i don't dig. But while we are on crazy hypothetical situations that don't make any sense here is what i would like to hear:

- B.I.G. 2pac squashing their beef and releasing a post humous album backed entirely by angelic choirs and harps

Sekoya
189 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 11:57 AM

12. "dude you aint in on it?"
In response to Reply # 11

Pac aint dead.

I write what I like:

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Mar-09-10 12:28 PM

13. "I Understand"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Mar-09-10 12:29 PM by makaveli

what original poster is saying, its nice hearing thought over some straight hip hop beats. thats why i like the j period mixtape so much.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.â€

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #187514 Previous topic | Next topic