Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #187040

Subject: "SWIPE: Who Does Erykah Badu Think She Is?" Previous topic | Next topic
phatjazz
Charter member
273 posts
Wed Jan-06-10 12:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"SWIPE: Who Does Erykah Badu Think She Is?"
Wed Jan-06-10 12:03 AM by phatjazz

Posted Monday 03/24/2008 12:00 AM in Guide by Rob Tannenbaum
Filed Under: Music, R&B, Singer / Songwriter, Erykah Badu

Your self-portrait is full of patterns and symbols. Do they mean anything?
I'm a double Pisces, and they say we see things a little differently. We see as if we're looking at things from under water. I just have a different point of view.

And why did you draw a tuning fork?
To be in tune with the frequency of the world, I use tuning forks in my music. Each one has a certain vibration that relates to a color, scent and set of organs. You can heal with tuning forks-I did it yesterday for somebody who had a cold. That's a throat chakra issue, so it's A. You put the tone of A from the head to the toe and it vibrates the mucus away.

Do you remember your first experience with alcohol?
I was at Grambling State University, and the fashion club had a little afterparty. They were playing a drinking game, I messed up and I had to drink a shot of Everclear. Next thing I remember was being back at my dorm on the bathroom floor. My girlfriends spent the night with me, to make sure I was cool. They said I was singing. I didn't even know I was a singer at that point.

So Everclear was the start of your career?
Yes. Everclear made everything clear.

Tell us about your worst haircut.
I cut all my hair off in 1989. As it was growing out, I put it into these little twists and I went to my grandma's house. She told me she wasn't gonna let me in. "You look like rats have been sucking on your hair." It's funny, my black grandmother doesn't really like anything black or African. (laughs) If it doesn't look like "One Life To Live," she doesn't like it.

How many people have you truly loved?
I've always wanted the best for the people in my life. Except for one person: Bombita. She was in the fifth grade with me. And she can die.

What?
She was mean. She used to step on my toes, anything to make me mad. I hope she's a ghetto statistic. And if that keeps me out of Heaven, then so be it.

If we drug-tested you, what would we find?
Wheatgrass. Green juice. Any kind of zionic bacteria, like chlorophyll and spirulina. I'm drug-free, alcohol-free. Isn't that boring? Maybe I should be Kid Rock for a day.

What would you do with that day?
If I was Kid Rock for a day, I would go to the hood and talk shit, just to see what would happen. Talk lots of shit and start some fights with some big black dudes.

What do you spend too much money on?
I have a shoe fetish. And I spend a lot at Whole Foods.

At least food is nutritious. You don't need more than one pair of shoes.
Are you crazy? Who are you? Now I'm pissed off.

Let's say you wake up in the middle of the night, and we're putting all your shoes into a bag. What would you do?
(laughs) I'd pull out my pistol and as I'm cocking the handle back, I'd ask you very nicely, "Put. The shoes. Back." Slowly, so you would understand exactly what I'm saying. I think you would put the shoes back.

You're probably right. What habit do you have that other people find annoying?
I'm late all the time. I have no perception of time. (laughs) Time is for white people. It doesn't work with me.

Who is your fantasy man?
Batman. He'd let me drive that fast car. We'd go to Whole Foods and hold hands and take a shot of wheatgrass together. We'd go up to the counter, and he'd pay. I'd have an invisible jet, so we'd fly away -leave the car there, let Robin take care of it-and kiss in midair. We wouldn't care who sees us.

How would you describe your taste in sex?
I'm such an organized person that it takes all the fun out of spontaneous sex. It has to be organized the way I want: the clothes have to be folded up neatly, my own music has to be playing. It just adds to the whole show-it's all about me, it's my show.

Who was the last person you punched?
My sister. And was pregnant. (laughs) Well, she was talking shit!

Have you ever doubted your sexual orientation?
Never. I've had a boyfriend since I was 5. His name was Benny, and he could make gun noises by crushing a milk carton with his foot. The first person I ever kissed was Huber Miles, in third grade. Then I asked him for money. (laughs) I thought it was appropriate.

What does a kiss cost now?
You have to change gods and wear crochet pants. You haven't heard about me?

http://www.blender.com/guide/61261/whodoeserykahbaduthinksheis.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: SWIPE: Who Does Erykah Badu Think She Is?
Jan 06th 2010
this interview is the best shit ever.
Jan 07th 2010
I concur... I can die happy now...
Jan 09th 2010
      this is MAD old
Jan 10th 2010
           Ok... *SWIPE*
Jan 10th 2010
           that last answer will never get old.
Jan 13th 2010

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Jan-06-10 04:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: SWIPE: Who Does Erykah Badu Think She Is?"
In response to Reply # 0

>How many people have you truly loved?
>I've always wanted the best for the people in my life. Except
>for one person: Bombita. She was in the fifth grade with me.
>And she can die.
>
>What?
>She was mean. She used to step on my toes, anything to make me
>mad. I hope she's a ghetto statistic. And if that keeps me out
>of Heaven, then so be it.

Noooooo...........!!!!!!!!! wrong thinking

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Thu Jan-07-10 06:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "this interview is the best shit ever."
In response to Reply # 0

Supreme Being
Member since Nov 30th 2005
2244 posts
Sat Jan-09-10 11:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I concur... I can die happy now... "
In response to Reply # 2

:)

livein76
Member since Jun 24th 2008
656 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 12:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "this is MAD old"
In response to Reply # 3

this is from the Blender interview when New Amerykah dropped

I want to talk to Jesus, my mama, and Marvin Gaye when I get to heaven.

Supreme Being
Member since Nov 30th 2005
2244 posts
Sun Jan-10-10 01:25 AM

5. "Ok... *SWIPE*"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't read Blender so... yeah...

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Wed Jan-13-10 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "that last answer will never get old."
In response to Reply # 4

-i do remember reading it, though....

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #187040 Previous topic | Next topic