Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #186562

Subject: "The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon" Previous topic | Next topic
bdietzdeuce2
Member since Mar 21st 2008
108 posts
Sun Nov-01-09 04:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon"

BEST OUT OF THE THREE!!!.
Fallon came out and was funny from start to finish....He did some impersonations of Snoop,J Timberlake, Amy Winehouse, Maroon 5. Did some stand up. He was the best guest by far. WAAAAAY better than his show and him on SNL
The Roots were excellent as usual. Did How I Got Over as well as a normal setlist.....Kirk and Tuba were great as usual.....GREAT SHOW....Cant wait for the 4th.....you are missin out if you dont see them in this intimate setting!!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon
Nov 01st 2009
Nov 01st 2009
Nov 02nd 2009
Nov 02nd 2009
would love to see a photo of the setlist if you can arrange that
Nov 02nd 2009
that is hilarious. Kirk stays catching Ls.
Nov 21st 2009
I need to check one out..
Nov 02nd 2009
RE: NY to AC
Nov 02nd 2009
      RE: NY to AC
Nov 07th 2009
           just announced today: 12/26
Nov 16th 2009

porkchop526
Member since Oct 31st 2005
36 posts
Sun Nov-01-09 05:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon"
In response to Reply # 0

I wish I lived 2 hrs closer to AC. Do you recall their set list? Was it different than the first two? Jimmy Fallon most have been real dope because Doug E Fresh tore it down for the first show.

bdietzdeuce2
Member since Mar 21st 2008
108 posts
Sun Nov-01-09 07:35 PM

2. "RE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon"
In response to Reply # 1

I mean it wasnt far off from the first 2. Your getting the same feel from each show they just seem to be getting progressively more comfortable with the enviroment/venue. They get better each one. I have been 2 all 3. Well worth it.

aptpupil99
Member since Apr 29th 2008
77 posts
Mon Nov-02-09 09:11 AM

3. "RE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon"
In response to Reply # 1

I didn't make it to the first show so I can't speak how good that one was. However, #3 had a much different setlist than the second one. (For the record, I thought the second show was much much better.)

Second show had a bunch of variations on the normal set: Web, I Can Understand It, Questo/Knuckles solo leading out of Thought at Work instead of mid-Mellow My Man, a few songs that don't usually make it into the shorter version of the setlist. Order of the songs was switched up a lot (Seed in the 2 hole, for example).

Third show was pretty much a standard show. Not a Fallon fan by any means, but he was funnier than I expected and the sight of BT dying laughing at the side of the stage was pretty great. Fallon and James Poyser came out to dance during Men at Work - funnier than anything during Fallon's set. That being said, the setlist was basically the short version of the set they've been playing for the past year (albeit with How I Got Over added). I have yet to see a bad show by the band, but the second show was so much better because of the variation. By the way, the 25-30 minute Mellow My Man/Criminal block consistently kills the crowd energy. Seems like half the crowd always tunes out when the drum solo starts and doesn't get back into the show until You Got Me kicks in. Split those two songs up!

excaluber
Member since Jun 15th 2006
396 posts
Mon Nov-02-09 01:05 PM

4. "RE: The Roots 3rd Residency Show Review ft Jimmy Fallon"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-02-09 01:07 PM by excaluber

I did enjoy the show quite a bit.

Fallon was a lot funnier then i was expecting. That Ethonal Production song when he was jabbing himself in the throat nearly had me in tears.

The show itself was quality as always. It was a cool venue, and there was a pretty good vibe all night. The crowd did kinda fall out for a bit in the middle. But they came back strong towards the end.

But whatever... i enjoyed it.

Funniest part for me wanted to see if i could grab a setlist at the end... and when i went up to the stage to ask about getting one, the one security dude says...

"Can i help you? (all stern like)"

so i say, ya i just wanna ask about a setlist

He says, "ok, just give me a minute."

Then kirk comes walking across the stage, i guess he forgot something.

So the security guy thinks he's a stage hand or someone and yells out "Hey you! Hey buddy! Hey!"

Kirk assuming he's talking to one of the techs or someone ignores him.

So after a few seconds of the security yelling at kirk trying to get his attention i just calmly say excuse me kirk.

Kirk turns to us, and the security guy yells out "yo dude... grab that set list there, and the towel (not for me...someone else i guess) so i can get these people out of here".

Kirk looks at him like "Me?"

Security guy says "Ya...just grab that setlist" (kirk grabs setlist) Secuity guy "And the towel...grab that towel too"

lol

Kirk brings them over hands me the setlist, and i'm just laughing and i say "Thanks Kirk, great job tonight"

Kirk says thanks, shakes my hand. Kirk was very nice about the whole thing. But it was pretty funny....dude obviously had no idea he was in the band. Kirk coulda very easily just told the security guy to fuck off. But he was very polite about the whole thing.

Anyways, I got some pretty good photos i'll see if i can get posted up

Ever wonder why you can see the whole width of this sentence but you still have to move your eyes to read it?

aptpupil99
77 posts
Mon Nov-02-09 03:01 PM

5. "would love to see a photo of the setlist if you can arrange that"
In response to Reply # 4

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Sat Nov-21-09 10:11 AM

10. "that is hilarious. Kirk stays catching Ls."
In response to Reply # 4

I would be in complete asshole mode by now if I was Kirk. Props to him.

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Mon Nov-02-09 08:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I need to check one out.."
In response to Reply # 0

Its only a 40 min drive from me

porkchop526
Member since Oct 31st 2005
36 posts
Mon Nov-02-09 10:29 PM

7. "RE: NY to AC"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks guys for giving us a feel for the past few shows for those who can't make that trip every month. I think Quest and the gang should pack NY okayplayer users on a bus to AC. I mean, since they are in NY, all we would have to do is catch ride with them after their Fallon gig. It could be like an okayplayer give back. (Of course this is meant as a joke, although it would be cool) Or maybe after a certain amount of ticket stubs, you can get a free concert? If we get enough cosigners, this might happen? (Yes, I dream big)

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sat Nov-07-09 07:01 PM

8. "RE: NY to AC"
In response to Reply # 7

when is the next one?

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

aptpupil99
77 posts
Mon Nov-16-09 02:34 PM

9. "just announced today: 12/26"
In response to Reply # 8

>when is the next one?

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #186562 Previous topic | Next topic