This is an open discussion on these two dudes (my current two favorites in the game) / I do have some material to get it rolling...
1) I have heard it to be confirmed that Phonte will be dropping a solo joint 3/4 rapping 1/4 singing (thank god!) some where in the third quarter of 2010. No producers confirmed but rest assured 9th wont be on it. Any feedback/more info? Also what happened to the Leftover album?????
2) I know Blu just inked a deal with sire, but since then i havent heard a peep as to when his new record is dropping and who is producing. Any feedback/more info?
I am pretty sure I have all of their material...(please fill me in if i am missing some.)
For Phonte Ive got...
The Foreign Exchange - Connected & Leave it All Behind
Little Brother - Chittlin Circuit, Chittlin Circuit 1.5, The Listening, The Minstrel Show, Getback, Seperate But Equal, And Justus For All, No Justus, No Peace
Zo & Tigallo - Love the 80's
I know about the Eccentric joint - that is just a comedic album though and I also know about the commercial free EP - No interest in either
*I am also very interested in pre listening material both solo and LB - i have a few joints including Autopilot - I love hearing his real early raw shit. It seems odd to me that they formed in 98 but didnt drop til 03 that is five year of missing material!!!
For Blu Ive got...
Below The Heavens, Johnson & Jonson, C.R.A.C. , Soul Provider mixtape 1 & 2 (I heard rumors of the 3), The Narrow Path EP, Get Lifted EP, Her Favorite Color, The CORE mixtape, and those instrumental EP's he has dropped. I also have heard of the BeSene album Im pretty sure that is just Blu on the boards and Sene spitting - which I have no interest in if thats the case I think Sene is weak.
*Once again I am also very interested in some older tracks as well as new ones
4. "RE: Blu and Phonte Discussion" In response to Reply # 3
I don't really know Blu too well, but we know some of the same folks. his man Co$$ (Cashis King) is my boy though. We've collabed a few times. Matter fact...he's on my mixtape. Me, Co$$, Blu & Brickz are gonna collab on a joint pretty soon. Blu is just at that 'industry' crossroads right now so I don't think he's gonna drop that full length LP until sometime late next year. He probably has some joints in the chamber that he may randomly crank out, but that Warner project is gonna be a minute. He is a phenomenal talent though and I hope that when he does make his major label debut...the masses realizes that he has 'it'.
5. "RE: Blu and Phonte Discussion" In response to Reply # 0
- open discussion? okay.....
- i will say it irks me to see cats refer to Phote singing as if its some sort of problem. imho, he crosses over to it very well. in reference to the comment: "Phonte will be dropping a solo joint 3/4 rapping 1/4 singing (thank god!)" it takes me back to the Goodie Mob days when Cee-Lo went solo and started singing cats complained, but his singing was sometimes the backbone of a good bit of Goodie Mo classics. i found it to be contradictory statement, mostly made by those that dont know real music.
- and no, im not saying Phonte did the same with LB. but his singing is so seamless when i play FE for unsuspecting people they have NO IDEA it's the same person. c'mon people, talent is talent. im just happy i can put in a FE cd and not feel like im listening to a 'another rapper' trying to sing, ya feel me?
6. "RE: Blu and Phonte Discussion" In response to Reply # 5
yeah he (phonte) def reps a cat that isnt afraid to try and put his all into it... plus alot of singers have been masking their talent behind autotune cuz thats the industry thing to do but he keeps it raw... p.s i sooo wanted to smack raheem devaughn(sp) for that ghostface autotune track baby... too much talent for that...
7. "RE: Blu and Phonte Discussion" In response to Reply # 6
Lets just hope that both these men get their just due in the same way that Cee Lo got his(in regards to the 'Te/Cee Lo reference earlier). Both men are incredible talents who should be allowed to spread their wings.
11. "Weren't you asking about this in another post?" In response to Reply # 9
Unless that facebook chat was years ago, I doubt you introduced the Roots to the existence of Blu. I get the impression that ?uest is pretty up on everything, especially stuff that is big on these boards.
I doubt you and I were hipped to Blu before he was.
12. "RE: Blu and Phonte Discussion" In response to Reply # 0
Personally... I found that after 9th left LB I wasn't really into them as much. I guess I'm more for hot soulful beats than the lyrics. Even though Pooh and Phonte are great MCs, 9th's beats were really what drew me to LB.
As for Blu, his verse on "The Day" is so chill. I love it. Haven't heard any of his stuff outside of HIGO but I'll check it out tonight.